PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Eyeing Theriot

jiggin
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
But there are two areas where the team may want to upgrade before July 31: shortstop and the starting rotation.

The Tigers have had the second-worst shortstop production in the majors, as determined by OPS. Ramon Santiago and rookie Danny Worth have split time at the position since Adam Everett was cut earlier this month.

If team officials decide that they need more offense at the position, they could pursue Stephen Drew (Diamondbacks) or Ryan Theriot (Cubs). The Diamondbacks are in sell mode, and the Cubs may make Theriot available if rookie Starlin Castro settles in as the everyday shortstop.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-June-052910

BDawk4Prez
06-17-2010, 05:49 PM
:pray:

chicagofan71
Gooood. If they need SP too, I can see a Sliva or Lilly + Theriot package possible

BDawk4Prez
Theriot for Miggy?

Tehjosha
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Theriot for Miggy?

I think we would have to throw in Silva to make that happen.

gocubs2118
06-17-2010, 05:52 PM
I'll drive him to the airport.

BDawk4Prez
06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
I think we would have to throw in Silva to make that happen.

Theriot/Lee/Silva

Miggy/spec

Matchstckman
06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Theriot + Colvin for Brennan Boesch

AND GO

BDawk4Prez
06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Theriot + Colvin for Brennan Boesch

AND GO

Info?

Not usre I know too much about him.

zambo4president
06-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Info?

Not usre I know too much about him.

He's on my fantasy team and he's a rookie. Kid's a ****ing monster. I was gonna say Theriot and whoever they want for Boesch

Vandelay16
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Please leave Theriot. And throw in Grablow.

chi416
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
If you can unload Theriot I'm fine with that as I think Baker and Fontenot are adequate at 2B.

1908_Cubs
06-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Theriot for their entire team.

MJ-BULLS
06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Theriot to the tigers? hell yeah.

ggross
06-17-2010, 06:54 PM
:pray: If there was only some way I could help to make this happen. The pos isn't even scrappy anymore.

RedHeadsRule
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
So to solve their OPS problem at SS, they have interest in Theriot?

Tehjosha
06-17-2010, 07:05 PM

They're not looking for OPS. They're looking for scrappiness.

We have what they need.

Randall Simon
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Also read somewhere that LAA is looking for help at SS. A Lee/Theriot package would look good to either of these teams

RedHeadsRule
06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
The problem is though that Hendry probably won't be willing to package Lilly or Lee with Theriot for a little while because the Cards and Reds haven't run away with the division. Though I have very little hope we will actually catch either of those teams, especially the Cards.

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Does Det even have specs left?

gocubs2118
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
And only if they take Koyie with him.

CUBDOM4life
06-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh my lord! Take him!

Hell, we could just give him to them for nothing, and I wouldn't give a ****.

Yagyu+
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM

No, no, no. I'll drive him to the Megabus depot. And I'll pay for his ticket.

Does Det even have specs left?

Only if you count rookies Brennan Boesch and Austin Jackson.

CUBDOM4life
06-17-2010, 07:35 PM

This is what I was thinking.

And only if they take Koyie with him.
this is also what I was thinking.

Mell413
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
This would make me happy. I think Fontenot/Baker would be fine at 2B if they didn't add a full time player there. I wouldn't even care what we got back as long as he's gone.

windycityD
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I would bet on Galarraga coming back if that deal went down.

Mell413
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I would bet on Galarraga coming back if that deal went down.

I would hope that Galarraga would not be coming back.

windycityD
06-17-2010, 08:14 PM

If it's a one for one deal, how in the hell could you expect more back? Theriot would have to be packaged with pitching to get a solid return from Detroit.

DeShaun Brown
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
In all seriousness, what do you all think is the best we can get in return for Theriot?

Mell413
06-17-2010, 08:35 PM
If it's a one for one deal, how in the hell could you expect more back? Theriot would have to be packaged with pitching to get a solid return from Detroit.

Galarraga isn't pitching all that well and we have too many pitchers as it is. I could probably live with that deal and trade Galarraga somewhere else. His ERA makes him look like a better pitcher than he really is. I'm sure you spin him off somewhere else.

1908_Cubs
06-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Galaraga is, and has been, garbage, out side of his near pefect game.

Hawkize31
06-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Even as a Theriot fan, yes please. We have no need for 4 middle infielders on this team.

DamnGoat
06-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Just trade him already, he has no future with this team and has gotten worse these last two years.

CubbieSteve
06-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Not expecting much. Hopefully he can get hot soon and up his value.

Is Zumaya available? Probably won't net him with just Theriot, but maybe with another piece.

Acronym
06-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Take my shortstop, please!

Canterbury
06-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes please. Hopefully, this move gets done and marks the start of an actual rebuilding process.

cubs0707
06-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Not expecting much. Hopefully he can get hot soon and up his value.

Is Zumaya available? Probably won't net him with just Theriot, but maybe with another piece.
i doubt it

Milnertime
06-18-2010, 05:26 AM
He's on my fantasy team and he's a rookie. Kid's a ****ing monster. I was gonna say Theriot and whoever they want for Boesch
I'm not saying he won't be good in the future, but you might want to take a look at his BABIP this year.

He's in for a big time decline sometime this year unless he brings his LD% up.

You might want to try to trade him away before that happens.

IRNMN
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I would be OK with this deal, but history tells me Hendry is going to f-this deal up like usual. We will probably trade Theriot for a lesser talent like we did with the Maddux-Izturis deal. Knowing Hendry were going to get someone like Brandon Inge or Bonderman in return.

jacquewho?
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM

I'll pay for his baggage fee

CUBDOM4life
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I would be OK with this deal, but history tells me Hendry is going to f-this deal up like usual. We will probably trade Theriot for a lesser talent like we did with the Maddux-Izturis deal. Knowing Hendry were going to get someone like Brandon Inge or Bonderman in return.

How would Hendry **** this up? Who cares who we get in return? Theriot ****ing sucks. Anyone we get back will likely also suck.

Yagyu+
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
In all seriousness, what do you all think is the best we can get in return for Theriot?

This (http://www.anothercubsblog.net/2010-articles/june/trade-value-kosuke-fukudome-and-ryan-theriot.html) seems to be a fair analysis of what we could expect Theriot and Fukudome's value to be on the trade market.

poodski
06-18-2010, 01:13 PM
This (http://www.anothercubsblog.net/2010-articles/june/trade-value-kosuke-fukudome-and-ryan-theriot.html) seems to be a fair analysis of what we could expect Theriot and Fukudome's value to be on the trade market.

Thats quite the drop off for Theriot after this year.

If that truly is the case though maybe someone like Ryan Strieby (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=456428) would be nice.

While its a pipe dream I would LOVE to get Sizemore.

windycityD
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Galarraga isn't pitching all that well and we have too many pitchers as it is. I could probably live with that deal and trade Galarraga somewhere else. His ERA makes him look like a better pitcher than he really is. I'm sure you spin him off somewhere else.

1) Theriot's trade value one for one is not good. At all.
2) Galarraga would either be flipped in another deal or would be kept should we deal Stevens and/ or Gray. At that point, you're talking depth chart, not a viable, top-tier option for the pen in 2011.
3) Detroit wont overspend for Theriot.

Canterbury
06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
How would Hendry **** this up? Who cares who we get in return? Theriot ****ing sucks. Anyone we get back will likely also suck.

Pretty much, except losing Theriot for nothing but going back to Baker/Fontenot would probably be better than throwing Ryan out there.

1908_Cubs
06-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Thats quite the drop off for Theriot after this year.

If that truly is the case though maybe someone like Ryan Strieby (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=456428) would be nice.

While its a pipe dream I would LOVE to get Sizemore.

I love Streiby.

But that's because we both took a class together.

Cubs420
06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Lilly and Theriot to the Tigers for a few of their top-ten prospects... I would be down.

Then Trade Lee to the Angels and Fuku to the Red-Sox and let the rebuilding begin!

Colvin in right field the rest of the year and insert Cashner or Jackson in Lilly's spot, you could also use Gorzo, but i rather see what the young pitchers have.

dljone01
06-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Lilly and Theriot to the Tigers for a few of their top-ten prospects... I would be down.

Then Trade Lee to the Angels and Fuku to the Red-Sox and let the rebuilding begin!

Colvin in right field the rest of the year and insert Cashner or Jackson in Lilly's spot, you could also use Gorzo, but i rather see what the young pitchers have.

My one worry with "seeing what the young pitchers have" is the Cubs usual habit of overworking young starting pitchers for no particularly good reason.

As for Theriot, I've always liked him as a player, but it's like he isn't really trying this year. I think the Cubs' moves during Spring Training made it pretty clear to him that he's not really a big part of their long term future, and he's just biding his time at this point. If they can trade him, fine. But Hendry will probably take on some huge contract in return. :sigh:

Brad IBCB
06-20-2010, 02:02 AM
My one worry with "seeing what the young pitchers have" is the Cubs usual habit of overworking young starting pitchers for no particularly good reason.

Two words: Dusty Baker

Darwinist
06-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Hendry's history with trades isn't bad, so I'm not sure what your referring to. I think your memory is messing with you, most have issues with his FA signings, not his trades.

Jilly Bohnson
06-20-2010, 04:05 PM

You haven't seen what Bonderman's been doing lately have you. He's back.

Captain Obvious
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Hendry's history with trades isn't bad, so I'm not sure what your referring to. I think your memory is messing with you, most have issues with his FA signings, not his trades.

His problem isn't FA signings, it's extensions.

Darwinist
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
His problem isn't FA signings, it's extensions.

Nitpick if you like but I think both are problems. Point of my post was that Hendry's trading history isn't bad. It's completing/extending contracts that gets him the most criticism.

Captain Obvious
06-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Nitpick if you like but I think both are problems. Point of my post was that Hendry's trading history isn't bad. It's completing/extending contracts that gets him the most criticism.

I think that his FA signings are just under appreciated. As I have stated before, I think he is rather good at FA signings, it's his willingness, or lack there of to let players go that gets him in trouble.

Darwinist
06-20-2010, 08:48 PM
I think that his FA signings are just under appreciated. As I have stated before, I think he is rather good at FA signings, it's his willingness, or lack there of to let players go that gets him in trouble.

Many have been under appreciated. DeRosa and Lilly come to mind. Some have not been real good either, Soriano and his love of overpaying RPs comes to mind. I agree that he really gets himself into trouble with extensions. He seems to think they all require no trade clauses.

I will also clarify, I never said I thought he wasn't good at FA signings. I said most would criticize his FA signings before they criticized his ability to trade.

4cubs
06-20-2010, 08:57 PM

As for Theriot, I've always liked him as a player, but it's like he isn't really trying this year. I think the Cubs' moves during Spring Training made it pretty clear to him that he's not really a big part of their long term future, and he's just biding his time at this point. If they can trade him, fine. But Hendry will probably take on some huge contract in return. :sigh:

Agree 100%.

I really liked Theriot up until this season. I thought he gave all he had. This year he appears to not be focused. Probably because of what was mentioned above. If this is the trend, we should give him his freedom.

toovey107
06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't care if a guy gives a 110%, sure it's nice but I'll take a more productive player everyday of the week.

And if some of you honestly believe that theriot is playing this bad bc well "he is biding his time" :laugh2: you need to be lobotomized.
But if for some god for saken reason that was to have some truth to it than well Ryan is just a *****.

Captain Obvious
06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Many have been under appreciated. DeRosa and Lilly come to mind. Some have not been real good either, Soriano and his love of overpaying RPs comes to mind. I agree that he really gets himself into trouble with extensions. He seems to think they all require no trade clauses.

I will also clarify, I never said I thought he wasn't good at FA signings. I said most would criticize his FA signings before they criticized his ability to trade.

Soriano has been a good signing though. Even WITH him getting hurt last year, he has been worth more than the total we've signed him for. We also still have over half a season left this year.

Yagyu+
06-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Soriano has been a good signing though. Even WITH him getting hurt last year, he has been worth more than the total we've signed him for. We also still have over half a season left this year.

This is a good point, and one that's often overlooked. He's gotta be worth $18M annually through the next five though. Or at least average out to be worth more than $17M per year for the length of his entire contract.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2010, 01:40 AM
This is a good point, and one that's often overlooked. He's gotta be worth $18M annually through the next five though. Or at least average out to be worth more than $17M per year for the length of his entire contract.

Yeah, this is the tough part. But, I think that he can do it, or be pretty close. I think that he can really surprise quite a few people. But, more than likely we will end up overpaying. That being said, one of the problems I kind of find with Hendry's contracts is that he backloads them too much, to the point where the end of the contracts are not very good. That being said, if Soriano hadn't been hurt last year, this really would not be an issue.

Brad IBCB
06-21-2010, 01:59 AM
The big deal with Soriano is the length of the contract. Not smart on Hendry's part. Say if Soriano was a couple of years younger then I'd feel better about it.

Jilly Bohnson
06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
The big deal with Soriano is the length of the contract. Not smart on Hendry's part. Say if Soriano was a couple of years younger then I'd feel better about it.

Exactly. The problem with this contract was always the last 2 or 3 years. If we would have gotten him for 5/90 I don't think anyone could have complained, it's the fact that we gave a 30 year old 8 years that's the problem.

Yagyu+
06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Yeah, this is the tough part. But, I think that he can do it, or be pretty close. I think that he can really surprise quite a few people. But, more than likely we will end up overpaying. That being said, one of the problems I kind of find with Hendry's contracts is that he backloads them too much, to the point where the end of the contracts are not very good. That being said, if Soriano hadn't been hurt last year, this really would not be an issue.

The question then becomes from where on the field can he do this best. We've discussed the possibility of Soriano transitioning to first base. Based on his own comments that he's uncomfortable close in on line drives, I'm not confident that he'd successfully be able to, but I'm still curious to see if the Cubs tinker with his position.

He'd be a lot easier to manage these next few seasons if filling the role of DH was an option.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2010, 02:46 AM
The question then becomes from where on the field can he do this best. We've discussed the possibility of Soriano transitioning to first base. Based on his own comments that he's uncomfortable close in on line drives, I'm not confident that he'd successfully be able to, but I'm still curious to see if the Cubs tinker with his position.

He'd be a lot easier to manage these next few seasons if filling the role of DH was an option.

Him being a DH could happen, with Selig and his committee on how to make baseball better. I wouldn't rule it out, for the last year or two of his contract.

I think that LF and 3B are the only positions we can put him at. To be completely honest, 3B is a little worrisome to me. I just do not think that he can do it, although, the thought of his arm there is a wonderful thought.

I am fine with him in LF for the next 3 years. In 3 years, he will be 37 and I think that with his injury history of his legs and his age that his defense will take a dramatic decline. Right now, I say deal with that when it comes up, because we have no idea if we will have a need for a 3B then or not. If Vitters is a bust(which I think he will be), we probably could use a 3B, if he isn't and assuming we get one of the big 1B FA in 2012, we keep him in LF. However, that is a long way down the road.