PDA

View Full Version : olympic gold or nba championship

thescore53
06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
which one, you have a chance to win a nba chip every year, but olympic gold comes along once every 4 years....

discuss

NYMetros
NBA Championship. Not close at all IMO.

BradyIsTheMan12
NBA title without a doubt. Not even close..

thescore53
06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
damn i made this thread 30 secs ago and people already responded

ko8e24
06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Nba title

mikantsass
06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Most NBA teams would kill international teams..... Easily the Finals IMO

NYKnickFanatic
06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
damn i made this thread 30 secs ago and people already responded

Wowzirs! That must be a new record!

But for me I dont know.

Championship, you are winning for you and your city.

Gold Medal, you are winning for you and your country.

I wouldnt say, "not even close."

Raidaz4Life
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
NBA title

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I think it depends on who you are and where you are from. Lets face it, the Americans are the best ball players on the planet right now, so when they send their best overseas and somebody beats them out for the gold, I imagine the guys on that team are pretty pumped for their gold medal, as pumped as any NBA player would be for the NBA title. But I think for most guys who play in the NBA, even the ones from over seas, would see the NBA championship as the ultimate goal.

Raoul Duke
06-16-2010, 09:30 PM
The Olympics is on a grander scale, and I think it means a lot in a different way because the whole country is rooting for one team and it doesn't happen annually. As far as spectacle and just the overall experience for the fans and the players, I think an NCAA title might trump both, but obviously not in importance.

An NBA title means more to a guy's legacy because it's the best league in the world.

arkanian215
06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd prefer Olympic Gold. Sure the competition isn't great but I would still love competing for my country. Besides, if I'm good enough to be on the Team USA olympics team, I should have a decent chance at getting an NBA Championship.

DeyAce
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
NBA Championship

Ray_R
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Nba Champ. Olympic is just like taking candy from a baby.

Kakaroach
06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Championship, you are winning for you and your city.

Gold Medal, you are winning for you and your country.

I wouldnt say, "not even close." Yeah I agree its a pretty tough decision. Both are important, but their is something about winning for your country.

NYtilIdie
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
People don't determine how great your legacy was based off Gold Medals, they determine them by Championship Rings.

JNA17
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
nba title.

kblo247
06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
NBA Rings.

A gold medal will have people remember you maybe, but being a crucial part of a championship team or dynasty if you are that lucky will have you remembered throughout all of history.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2010, 09:59 PM
well, non US fans will make an argument that an Olympic gold is better, but the fact is, the best players from around the world are in the NBA. Whatever team wins the NBA championship would beat any team assembled. But there is something to be said about country pride, as was exposed in the last Olympics when our biggest stars went humble and won it all

Dieselpi
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
its a tough call, obviously every player wants that title. But a gold medal is special, for one because it happens so infrequently, and not every player even gets a chance. And lets be honest international competition is a lot better now than it was when jordan and co went and *****smacked everyone.

shooterone
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I would say it depends on what time of year you ask the question. Right now during the championships people are thinking NBA finals so they pick the "ship". If you were to ask this question during the USA/Spain gold medal match people would say the gold medal. Personally I would say gold medal. Your competing against the best each country has to offer. For those claiming a regular NBA team would crush any other olympic team....they must have short memories there was a reason they called the last team the "redeam" team. Argentina, Spain, Croatia, Greece could all destroy any nba team if played with international rules, and would still win a majority of games with NBA rules.
I'm no expert on the game but I do remember team USA losing out in the worlds to Spain and the Olympics to a couple of teams.......Bronze I think, the year Carter jumped over Weise and ensured the young man would never ever play a game in the nba.

Can-I-Live
06-16-2010, 10:22 PM
nba ship' olympics aren't special if the only big news is if you lose

thephoenixson28
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Nba championship more competition.

shooterone
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
^^^tell that to the 2004 US olympic team or the '02,'06 World championships teams.^^^

king4day
06-16-2010, 10:57 PM
NBA title because you are playing with a team you have to grow with. If you win, it means your chemistry from the best player on the team to the worst, was on key.
Olympics, you are paired with the best.

albertc86
06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
NBA title. The Olympics is a patriotic thing and a high honor but the NBA still has the best talent in the world. Not to mention, if you're coming from a championship squad, you're probably going to demand more money if you play else where.

xbrackattackx
06-16-2010, 11:02 PM
I think a gold metal would be amazing and winning for millions of people back home would be a astounding feeling. But a NBA ring is a NBA ring and also nowadays it's used to gauge a person overall success so I guess NBA ring.

Korman12
06-16-2010, 11:16 PM
If the international competition was a bit harder, and the game was more worldwide (I'm talking soccer worldwide) than it might be a little different, but it's not anything like that. NBA Championship.

Becks2307
06-17-2010, 12:04 AM
If the international competition was a bit harder, and the game was more worldwide (I'm talking soccer worldwide) than it might be a little different, but it's not anything like that. NBA Championship.

this.

im guessing this came up with wall the attention being given to the world cup.
The world cup is the ultimate prize because it comes up every 4 years and the comptetion is ridiculous. There are always 5-6 teams that are on the same level as each other at the top. If we had that in basketball it would be the same thing. But the US are always favorites, maybe in 30 or so years when the competition really evens out we may see it rise in importance

Swashcuff
06-17-2010, 12:22 AM
this should have been made with a poll but there is no doubt what the results would have looked like though. This has been debated here before and the overwhelming majority said NBA chip. Which I agree with.

COBY KARL
06-17-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty sure most players would respond by saying the gold medal if they were asked this question. But deep down every player wants the Nba championship.

Winning a chip takes more time, sacrifice and hard work. Plus you dont play as many games and you have the best 12 players in the world on one team.

A player's success is defined by their rings not their medals. Im pretty sure rookies aren't coming into the league thinking, "Oh man i want to play well enough to get invited to team USA!" they're probably thinking, "What do I need to do to get a ring in this league?"

Playing for the gold medal is playing against the rest of the world. But getting an NBA championship is playing against the BEST in the world.

heathonater
06-17-2010, 12:44 AM
nba title by far. you aren't remembered in the nba for how many gold medals won, you are remembered for the number of rings won. its a big accomplishment to win an olympic gold medal, but the nba title is far more valuable to a players legacy.

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-17-2010, 12:55 AM
nba title

PrettyBoyJ
06-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Title.. Jus gettin on the big stage is difficult.. Playing other countries and smacking them by like 50 doesnt seem so challenging

dodie53
06-17-2010, 01:05 AM
NBA 'ship

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Olympic gold, you are rpresting everybody in your country not only a small fraction of them.

heatbb
06-17-2010, 02:43 AM
olympic gold, you are representing everybody in your country, not only a small fraction of them.

+1

shep33
06-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Would you rather have 1 NBA title as the star of your team or 4 Gold medals, as a guy who contributes but not "The guy"?

BkOriginalOne
06-17-2010, 03:08 AM
NBA title.
Let's face it, If the NBA Champs served as the Olympic team they would win over 90% of the time.
Imagine what a Shaq and Kobe in 2000, or MJ 96 Bulls (Minus Kukoc), 2008 Celtics would so against the Argentina team from 2004.

mikantsass
06-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Take a look at the NBA title teams of the last decade w/o international players:

08 Celtics
06 Heat
04 Pistons
00-02 Lakers
99 Spurs

Those teams would kill Olympic teams in a tournament.

Da Knicks
06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Gold Medal sounds more like a world championship to me and we get to watch how much we overrate our nba players. Didnt it take the u.s. till the final minutes to dispatch spain who have the softeset players according to psd?

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2010, 10:35 AM
The thing with a gold medal though to is you were picked because you were the best in the league. 12 players, including guys like Scalibrine (no offence bro, I know you work hard and seem like a nice guy and all, but I'm just making a point), get a NBA ring every year. Where with the Gold, it is only handed out every 4 years, and only to 12 of the very best players in the league. Being on that original Dream Team with Magic, MJ, Stockton, Malone, Bird, Robinson, that would have just been amazing to be in a class with those players, so it speaks volumes about what a players has accomplished personally just to be on the Olympic team, where as Scott Hastings and Bill Wennington have multiple rings and likely wouldnt even make an NBA team today.

And as i said, with the European players, to play the US, the VERY BEST in the world, THE ELITE, and come away with a gold, i got to say that would mean more to any of them than being a role player on a NBA title winning team.

I think it just depends on who you are and how you view things.

I will go with different but equal.

Geargo Wallace
06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
titles create legacies.
An Olympic gold is cool and all but I don't think anyone remembers when Argentina won back in '04.

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Take a look at the NBA title teams of the last decade w/o international players:

08 Celtics
06 Heat
04 Pistons Memeth Okur,Rebraka and Lol Milicic
00-02 Lakers Slava Mevedenko
99 Spurs

Those teams would kill Olympic teams in a tournament.
Chek your facts son.

And dont be ridiculous.

So if KObe+Lebron+Wade+Everybody and their mother BARELY defeated spain d o you think celtics would?

DOnt make me laugh.

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 12:24 PM
titles create legacies.
An Olympic gold is cool and all but I don't think anyone remembers when Argentina won back in '04.

Americans? maye not ( but you have justremembered) but the rest of the friggin world? yes they dio.

Rest of the world = MUCH MORE People than in USA

ackar
06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
NBA Title no doubt

Klivlend
06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
NBA title. USA is expected to win gold every year. The one year we didn't, everyone was like, wtf? It is much more difficult to win an NBA title than an olympic gold medal

RaiderLakersA's
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
NBA Title. Easy.

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
NBA title. USA is expected to win gold every year. The one year we didn't, everyone was like, wtf? It is much more difficult to win an NBA title than an olympic gold medal

1 you have lost more than Once.

2 For the USA it is more "easy" to win the gold BUT

A) first ou have to be selected for the team wich is something MCH MORE DIFFICULT to get thatn being the 12 roster man in a championship team since you have to be fantastic to be in usa team.

3 FOR OTHER COUNTRYS it i MUCH more dificult to get a Olymnpic gold because they have o beat USA , wich is always an upset.
So far Pau has a ring ( hopefully two) and a WORLD CUP gold ( wich is yeat more dificult and valuable than the olympic one) but has NO Olympic gold.
He has onl one mor try while he will have 3 or 4 more tries at t ring.
You can bet your *** he would change the olypic gold in London for the 2012 Ring.