PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospects Snubbing Memphis

ULT WARRIOR408
06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
The Grizzlies have been "routinely dealing with refusals to visit and workout cancellations by prospects who have expressed a desire not to play [in Memphis]," according to multiple sources.

Among the players who snubbed Memphis are Gordon Hayward, Paul George, Ekpe Udoh, and Avery Bradley. Even Memphis native Elliot Williams won't commit to meeting with the Grizzlies.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ing-grizzlies/

At least two NBA teams have been snubbed by NBA draftees in conducint private workouts, the Washingon Wizards got the snub from sports agent David Falk, who represents Ohio State standout Evan Turner, and the Memphis Grizzlies have been getting snubbed by potential draft picks great and small.

Even Butler's Gordon Hayward, not thought to be even a lottery pick, was strongly against Memphis using one of their three picks on him. Memphis holds the 12th, 25th and 28th picks in the June 25th NBA Draft.

With the Wizards it apears as though Falk doesn't want to waste his time, since the no doubt plans to take Kentucky guard John Wall. A case could be made that Falk or Turner may want to steer clear of organization that hasn't had success in three decades. The Washington Post reports Falk 'wasn't receptive' to Wizards request for a private workout with Turner.

The Grizzlies, it could be a matter of having 'too much' young talent, and three draft picks in the first-round that could yield players with equal or lesser abilities than those on their current roster.

"Its par for the pre-draft course," Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace told the Commercial Appeal. "That's why you go out and watch the games during the season. There are times when the agent and the player would prefer to be in one place over another. But if we want them we'll pick them, and we tell them that."

Besides Hayward, other draftees to snub or cancel plans for workouts with Memphis are Texas guard Avery Bradley, Kentucky guard Eric Bledsoe, Fresno State forward Paul George, Baylor forward Ekpe Udoh and even Memphis Tiger Eliot Williams.

The paper reports that last year, Ricky Rubio, Stephen Curry and Johnny Flynn each refused to work out with the Grizzlies, and that the team drafted big man Hasheem Thabeet without ever conducting a private workout with the 7'3 standout from UConn.

What might scare off this year's draftees is what happened to Thabeet. Unable to get playing time with the big league club, he was sent down to the Grizzlies' NBA developmental league roster for a brief period.

Link (http://www.digitalsportsdaily.com/nba/draft/1614-draftees-playing-favorites-before-nba-draft.html)

Pro prospects do not wanna workout for Memphis...WHATS UP WITH THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused:

ko8e24
06-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

arkanian215
06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
The Grizzlies have been "routinely dealing with refusals to visit and workout cancellations by prospects who have expressed a desire not to play [in Memphis]," according to multiple sources.

Among the players who snubbed Memphis are Gordon Hayward, Paul George, Ekpe Udoh, and Avery Bradley. Even Memphis native Elliot Williams won't commit to meeting with the Grizzlies. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ing-grizzlies/

These are all guys who the Grizzlies will seriously consider with their 3 picks. It's not like they're asking Evan Turner or John Wall to work out for them.

ManRam
06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, it usually helps posting a link so people know what you are talking about...

I'll do that for you.

thescore53
06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
wth do you know how lucky they are to have a chance at the NBA

btw all those guys worked out for Toronto, i met hayward in Toronto and seemed like the nicest guy on earth... that two faced bastard lol

arkanian215
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
wth do you know how lucky they are to have a chance at the NBA

btw all those guys worked out for Toronto, i met hayward in Toronto and seemed like the nicest guy on earth... that two faced bastard lol

Maybe their agents put them up to it.:shrug:

The Jokemaker
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow there are worse places to play in the NBA. These players feel they have a sense of entitlement about which team they play for when fact is they're lucky to even be CONSIDERED to be drafted in the league. How many players are drafted each year you never even HEAR of again? Doesnt matter if it's first or second round. These players need to realize it is a privelege to get drafted in this league and to be able to have the opportunity to play in the league and quit being little divas and saying "oh I only want to play there and not THERE." You play for the team you are drafted by and shut your mouth. You work hard and prove you deserve to be in the league.

And as a fan of the Grizzlies and a native of the Memphis area, I say ******* them for not wanting to come here. They'll wish they reconsidered when they see them in the playoffs next season.

JWO35
06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
EDIT: Not a top destination I guess

thescore53
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow there are worse places to play in the NBA. These players feel they have a sense of entitlement about which team they play for when fact is they're lucky to even be CONSIDERED to be drafted in the league. How many players are drafted each year you never even HEAR of again? Doesnt matter if it's first or second round. These players need to realize it is a privelege to get drafted in this league and to be able to have the opportunity to play in the league and quit being little divas and saying "oh I only want to play there and not THERE." You play for the team you are drafted by and shut your mouth. You work hard and prove you deserve to be in the league.

And as a fan of the Grizzlies and a native of the Memphis area, I say ******* them for not wanting to come here. They'll wish they reconsidered when they see them in the playoffs next season.

memphis isnt a boring city and they have a young good team. there has to be something else up

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Lmao!

Kakaroach
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm guessing its because people still think they aren't willing to pay top-dollar for their players. Like when they traded Gasol and didn't give Gay an extension. Guess it really depends on them going forward starting this summer with Rudy Gay.

But yeah, they should be lucky their just in the NBA.

xbrackattackx
06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Athletes are such crybabies now, I remember when a guy was Lucky and stoked to get drafted by anyone. Makes me sad.

bigsams50
06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Rookies shouldnt be able to dictate where they wanna end up.

Big Quett
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm guessing its because people still think they aren't willing to pay top-dollar for their players. Like when they traded Gasol and didn't give Gay an extension. Guess it really depends on them going forward starting this summer with Rudy Gay.

But yeah, they should be lucky their just in the NBA.

Gasol got a max extension at the time.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2010, 09:57 PM
so what? Workouts are overrated, and Memphis will choose who they like, and that player will stfu and play, and will probably like it just fine with Mayo, Gasol, and possibly Gay as their teammates

central2003
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Will I been to memphis and its not some where I would be excited to live...BUT IF YOU ARE GETTING PAYED MILLIONS HELL.. AND ITS NOT RIGHT ..ITS A PRIVILEGE TO BE DRAFTED IN THE NBA .. I WOULD BE MORE PROFESSIONAL ABOUT IT AND AT LEAST BE NICE AND SHOW UP FOR A WORK OUT .. YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU WILL MAKE AS A FRIEND WHICH IN THE LONG RUN WILL BE A BENEFIT FOR THEM ..ok I am done being kinda of mad .

SluggeR
06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
They already are gonna have some competition for Gay, do anybody see them selling that pick or making a trade?

hgtiger32
06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
what happend to being fortunate enough to be drafted and paid millions and going to the city where you were drafted. you don't get to choose where you wanna go to. rookie contracts are 3years if im correct (or 5 i dont remember)..so players can play their 3 years, make a name, turn franchise around and when they are a FREE AGENT, they can THEN choose where they wanna go...

netsgiantsyanks
06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
ahtletes are such little *****es your lucky enough that you have enough talent to be picked by ANY team

tdunk21
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
now thats unsportsman like........

NBAdude
06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Maybe they don't wanna be on a team with a fat idiot like Zack Randolph?

The Jokemaker
06-16-2010, 10:46 PM

You mean an allstar caliber player? Yeah forget that. I'd rather be surrounded by D-Leaguers.

GodsSon
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Raps fans should be feeling good right now lol

xbrackattackx
06-16-2010, 10:57 PM
You mean an allstar caliber player? Yeah forget that. I'd rather be surrounded by D-Leaguers.

Good Call, Memphis just needs a couple of more pieces and they would be playoff bound. I hate these young guys who don't wanna earn it, Just be placed on a winning team and have money handed to them.

mia305king
06-16-2010, 10:59 PM

If I'm getting paid Millions of dollars, I'll gladly play with him. Plus, they haven't proven anything, they have no right to determine who they want to play for.

chonbon
06-17-2010, 12:52 AM
**** all of them... you should be privledged to be drafted by any nba team... i'm tired of this ******** in sports. grow the **** up, accept who picks you and ****ing go to work.

abe_froman
06-17-2010, 12:55 AM

why not? he could hook them up with whatever they like

PrettyBoyJ
06-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Maybe their agents put them up to it.:shrug:

yeah most likely.. the agent is thinking about the money not so much over there in memphis

Kyben36
06-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

2 soon

JFresh_#8Nets
06-17-2010, 01:43 AM
i remember kobe was one of them..he was suppose to end up wit the Nets. wasn't a large enough market for him. **** baby forced trades

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Wonder fi this refusal guys will get constantly baited and basjhed for doing so,

O wait , they are not s19 older spaniards. .....

Hindy27
06-17-2010, 05:47 AM
i remember kobe was one of them..he was suppose to end up wit the Nets. wasn't a large enough market for him. **** baby forced trades
About time someone mentioned it, Kobe was the first spoilt little cry baby that did this.

There's even a Laker fan with Kobe in his sig having go at these players. :rolleyes:

The Jokemaker
06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
People have been doing this for years (Elway did). Thing is the guys that normally do it are the elite of the draft class. Gordon Hayward isn't an elite of this draft class...

td0tsfinest
06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
I know Bradley's hurt, no point of going if your hurt.

As for the other guys, maybe they declined because they don't see a future in Memphis. :shrug: Both Hayward and George are SF and Rudy Gay is pretty going to be back next season. With Mayo occupying the 2 spot, these two guys might have limited minutes in Memphis. As for Udoh, he's PF/C and currently the Grizzlies have Gasol and Randolph playing those spots with 2009's #2 pick waiting in the shadows.

netsgiantsyanks
06-17-2010, 09:57 AM

instead we had to settle for kerry kittles -__-

FOBolous
06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
i don't blame them. If i was a prospect, i want to go to a team that's best for my future. If i go to Memphis, i'll probably be stuck on the bench with all the talented player they have on the team. Washington? they're dysfunctional and unprofessional. the recent locker room incidence? c'mon now. remember...basketball is their job and the team is their workplace...who wants to work at a place with a whole bunch of wannabe gangsters? Gilbert Arenas is the worse among them...a wannabe gangster with a sense of entitlement who is a waste of cap space. washington was stupid for giving him such a big contract.

mia305king
06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Wonder fi this refusal guys will get constantly baited and basjhed for doing so,

O wait , they are not s19 older spaniards. .....

What ?

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 12:15 PM
About time someone mentioned it, Kobe was the first spoilt little cry baby that did this.

There's even a Laker fan with Kobe in his sig having go at these players. :rolleyes:

Actually the first one i remember is Danny Ferry, who did not want to play for Clippers and went as far as go go to play to Italy until they traded their rights to Cavs

thescore53
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM

isnt new jersey covered by the new york media

C_Mund
06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
The biggest separation between winners and losers in the NBA is people that are willing to do what it takes to win versus the people that just care about showing off their hardware regardless of how they obtained it.
These guys may as well just bid for Antoine Walker's ring with their first paycheck then mail it in a'la Eddy Curry

Hindy27
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Actually the first one i remember is Danny Ferry, who did not want to play for Clippers and went as far as go go to play to Italy until they traded their rights to Cavs
Just before my time, I only started to really get into basketball around '91/'92. Ferry was already playing for the Cavs by then, I think.

Sly Guy
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Rookies shouldnt be able to dictate where they wanna end up.

agreed. That's for free agents.

Klivlend
06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Athletes are such crybabies now, I remember when a guy was Lucky and stoked to get drafted by anyone. Makes me sad.

When Kobe was drafted 13th overall by the Hornets, didn't he refuse to play for them and demand a trade? Or, am I remembering this wrong?

fadedmario
06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
They will lose Mayo too.

The Jokemaker
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
The lure for draft picks in Memphis is that they desperately need bench help. If a rookie comes in and for a couple years is a great player off the bench, he can get a deal elsewhere and go start for whoever he wants. Until then you do what your coach tells you to do on whatever team you're drafted. I don't want to hear "it's not what they think is best for their future." Doing what theyre doing now isn't good for their future either by snubbing teams and thinking they're too good for a team.

Hellcrooner
06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
The lure for draft picks in Memphis is that they desperately need bench help. If a rookie comes in and for a couple years is a great player off the bench, he can get a deal elsewhere and go start for whoever he wants. Until then you do what your coach tells you to do on whatever team you're drafted. I don't want to hear "it's not what they think is best for their future." Doing what theyre doing now isn't good for their future either by snubbing teams and thinking they're too good for a team.

not that easy, once you win the back up label you get stuck with it forever