PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Activate Grablow, Option Atkins to Iowa

Ron!n
06-16-2010, 08:00 AM
The Chicago Cubs activated left-handed reliever John Grabow from the disabled list on Tuesday and optioned pitcher Mitch Atkins to Triple-A Iowa.

ESPNChicago.com Cubs blog

Cubs blog The latest news and notes on the Cubs. Blog

Grabow has been out since May 31 because of a left MCL sprain. He missed time earlier in May with the same knee problem.

Grabow pitched the eighth inning of the Cubs' 9-5 loss to Oakland on Tuesday. He allowed one hit, giving up a single to Rajai Davis.

The veteran pitcher, who signed a two-year contract with the Cubs in the offseason, has been ineffective most of the 2010 season. Grabow's role was to be the primary setup man for closer Carlos Marmol. That role has been taken over by Sean Marshall.

Grabow entered Tuesday 0-3 with a 9.45 ERA in 23 games this season. He made four rehab appearances with Iowa and allowed three earned runs in four innings.

Atkins was called up for Saturday's game against the Chicago White Sox. He did not make an appearance. He is 4-2 with one save and a 2.63 ERA in 14 appearances (six starts) with Iowa.

:laugh2: What a waste of an option on Atkins. You could have just kept Russell up and sent him down when Grablow comes back.

CubsFan/Realist
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Prepared to be Grablowed my friends, **** the Cubs... :(

cowboydoc45
06-16-2010, 08:52 AM
season over... bring on football

semperfi
06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh god, here come all the grablow jokes.

windycityD
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
:laugh2: What a waste of an option on Atkins. You could have just kept Russell up and sent him down when Grablow comes back.

Atkins? Really a waste?

Matchstckman
06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Atkins? Really a waste?

Eh, he's obviously nothing special, but neither was Randy Wells 2 years ago. And look where he is now!

*looks at his last four starts*

Nevermind.

:(

man man
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Weak sauce.

windycityD
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Eh, he's obviously nothing special, but neither was Randy Wells 2 years ago. And look where he is now!

*looks at his last four starts*

Nevermind.

:(

Wells has hit a real bad patch, no doubt. I don't think Thursday is going to be a much better outing, either. Really, I would just skip him against the rest of our AL schedule after this Thursday and give Gorzo those 1-2 starts next week.

wrigleyologist
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
It's not a waste of an option. The Cubs have three option years, and Atkins is in one of them. They could recall and option him 20 times this year if they wanted to.

zambo4president
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I remember last night I saw the report on this, and I was baked eating a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, I read that Grabow was coming off the DL and a wave came over my body that normally would have felt like me yelling and getting mad but then I thought about it and realized **** it, Im not gonna let them kill my high.

Ron!n
06-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Atkins? Really a waste?
Its still a waste, why bring him up just to send him down a couple days later? He didnt even appear in any games.

theSPECIALKID
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I remember last night I saw the report on this, and I was baked eating a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, I read that Grabow was coming off the DL and a wave came over my body that normally would have felt like me yelling and getting mad but then I thought about it and realized **** it, Im not gonna let them kill my high.

rofl