PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most anticipated Game 7 of all time?

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Is this the most anticipated Game 7 of all time?

Is there any other Game 7 in NBA History that was more anticipated then this Game 7 coming up?

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/06/01/nba_ratings/)

The possibility of it being Michael Jordan's final game brought NBC the highest television rating in NBA history for a game not in the finals.

Sunday's Game 7 of the Bulls-Pacers series got a 20.7 overnight rating. (A ratings point represents 980,000 households.) That number is expected to fall slightly below 19 when the national ratings are released Tuesday, but should easily top the 16.3 for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals between New York and Boston in 1973.

Only three NBA games in history have eclipsed a 20.0 national rating -- Detroit-Los Angeles, Game 7, 1988, 21.2; Chicago-Phoenix, Game 6, 1993, 20.3; and Utah-Chicago, Game 5, 1997, 20.1.

Chicago's title runs have generated five of the seven highest rated finals in history, including the two highest, a 17.9 in 1993 against Phoenix and a 16.8 last year against the Jazz.

carter15
06-16-2010, 12:50 AM
It's only really anticipated by Lakers and Celtics fans. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

ko8e24
06-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Yes because in the modern era, we are seeing a top ten player ever competing in a game7 of the Finals, with the two most premiere franchises battling it out, and especially with all the media and the hype that builds around it as opposed to 10 yrs ago (and even in the '05 Pistons vs Spurs finals there wasn't much hype).

Ryan328
06-16-2010, 01:10 AM
its up there

cmellofan15
06-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Yes because in the modern era, we are seeing a top ten player ever competing in a game7 of the Finals, with the two most premiere franchises battling it out, and especially with all the media and the hype that builds around it as opposed to 10 yrs ago (and even in the '05 Pistons vs Spurs finals there wasn't much hype).

who would that be?

Fireworld
06-16-2010, 01:18 AM
In my life time , yes. Can't speak for other game se7ens.

ko8e24
06-16-2010, 01:20 AM
who would that be?

Brian Scalabrine

Rivera
In my life time , yes. Can't speak for other game se7ens.

x2

i 100% agree with this statement

shep33
Game 7 Rockets vs. Knicks was pretty hyped

Game 7 Bulls vs Pacers in 98 was pretty hyped-- especially cause it was MJ's last season with the Bulls... and the Pacers seemed like they could win that series.

There have been a lot of great game 7's this one could be up there... I think it'll be extremely hyped just cause of the media these days in comparison to back in the day.

But definitely gonna be a great game.

kblo247
06-16-2010, 01:21 AM
In the modern era certainly. In my life as well

The only matchup that could have been close to as big never happened in the 90s.

kArSoN RyDaH
06-16-2010, 01:24 AM
in my 20 years of being on this earth yes. but i cud only imagine wat tht 84 finals was like. lol

NYtilIdie
06-16-2010, 01:25 AM
It's only really anticipated by Lakers and Celtics fans. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

x2.

The media tries to force this rivalry down our throat, but its just not as great as it was in Bird-Magic days.

iggypop123
06-16-2010, 01:28 AM
jordansbulls. maybe you should edit or maybe not. did you mean in the NBA FINALS? if it doesnt i remember lots of hype for kings lakers . that delivered. otherwise the 84 probably takes it

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Game 7 of the NBA Finals is always highly anticipated. However, with so many future HOFers involved, it's definitely the most anticipated game 7 since I've become an NBA fan.

fadedmario
06-16-2010, 01:48 AM
04-05 finals for me obviously

Boston Faithful
06-16-2010, 02:52 AM
The stakes are so ridiculously high, it's unbelievable.

I think this is far and away the biggest game in the NBA since Jordan's 1998 game against the Jazz. There has been no NBA game that can compare to this magnitude. Even for non-Celtics and Lakers fans, just to watch this game 7 will be incredible. It's really the NBA's Super Bowl. At the end of the day Thursday, there will be an NBA Champion. I expect the ratings to be ridiculous, maybe even soar near Jordan heights.

It's the NBA Finals. It's Celtics vs. the Lakers. The greatest rivalry in NBA history. There is clearly a bitter rivalry renewed. The entire series has been close and competitive and very intense.

The Celtics just got **** on. Kobe wants a 5th title. Phil will have to live with being outcoached by Doc Rivers for the rest of his career. This is potentially the Big Three's last major shot at a time. This could be a reminder for the Celtics to the Lakers who the better team is or this could be revenge for 2008for the Lakers. I think Kobe, Phil and the Big Three legacy's are on the line. This could be the deciding factor to if KG and Allen's jerseys are in the rafters or they were just two guys they got them one championship one year.

For as much as Kobe wants to be Jordan, I think this is the end of the line for Kobe Bryant in the discussion of even top 5 players of all-time. If he loses this, no way he even comes close to top 5. He'll be 4-3 in the Finals, I would say Magic and Kareem were far and away better Lakers.

I hate Kobe. I hate Gasol. I hate Fisher. I hate Odom. I hate the Lakers. And I'm sure all the Lakers fans hate the Celtics too.

When these two teams return to the NBA next year, it will be a completely different NBA because of the free agents. Who knows if they'll get back to the Finals.

May the best team win, I'm sure this is going to be a classic game for the ages.

Doogolas
06-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Why? I don't get it... Why is it any bigger than other Game 7 Finals games? Cause it's two large cities?

Boston Faithful
06-16-2010, 02:55 AM
Why? I don't get it... Why is it any bigger than other Game 7 Finals games? Cause it's two large cities?

Is that a joke?

"Cause it's two large cities"? It's because it's Celtics vs Lakers, the second biggest rivalry in all of sports history behind Yankees vs. Red Sox.

And to reference other Game 7's - Detroit vs San Antonio was boring as hell. The ratings reflected that. It was the second worst NBA Finals ratings ever behind Cleveland vs San Antonio.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 03:00 AM
This is quite possibly one of the biggest NBA games of all time and definitely bigger than any Jordan played.

NBA Finals Game 7 alone is HUGE. Lakers v. Celtics rivalry. HUGE. Kobe Bryant's legacy. HUGE. Phil Jackson's legacy. HUGE. Garnett, Allen, and Pierce last shot for a title as the main options (legacy). HUGE.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 03:02 AM
I might feel that way if there werent so many blowouts. I guess in order for it to be as epic as youre hyping it to be, game 7 has to be a great game.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 03:05 AM
I might feel that way if there werent so many blowouts. I guess in order for it to be as epic as youre hyping it to be, game 7 has to be a great game.

There were only two blowouts. Game 1 and Game 6. That is pretty typical of a series. Game 2 came down to the last two minutes. Game 3 came down to the last two minutes. Game 4 came down to the last two minutes. Game 5 came down to the last two minutes.

It has been a good series so far.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 03:12 AM
There were only two blowouts. Game 1 and Game 6. That is pretty typical of a series. Game 2 came down to the last two minutes. Game 3 came down to the last two minutes. Game 4 came down to the last two minutes. Game 5 came down to the last two minutes.

It has been a good series so far.

Like I said, this will be decided retrospectively depending on how good game 7 is. Im just not feeling Ali-Frazier or Leonard-Hagler with this. The Celtics are a shell of their former selves. Theyve been valiant in this series and have had contributions from unexpected sources like Robinson and Davis.

Duncan = Donkey
06-16-2010, 03:13 AM
i dont know. It certenley doesnt feel like it personally.

Boston Faithful
06-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Like I said, this will be decided retrospectively depending on how good game 7 is. Im just not feeling Ali-Frazier or Leonard-Hagler with this. The Celtics are a shell of their former selves. Theyve been valiant in this series and have had contributions from unexpected sources like Robinson and Davis.

How are they a shell of their former selves? For a team that everybody would say COULD get ousted by Miami in round 1. They beat Cleveland and LeBron, Orlando and now is in Game 7 with Los Angeles.

That's a pretty damn good team.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 03:14 AM

Before the series, most of PSD was saying that this 2010 Celtics were better than the 2008 Celtics. Why the flip-flopping?

ko8e24
06-16-2010, 03:18 AM
The 3-peat Shaq yrs and their battles of 2000 WCF against Portland and 2002 WCF against Sacramento, both series on the Peacock Network (NBC) was the most exciting time for the NBA. Both series went to game 7's. And both game 7's lived up to the hype.

Kevj77
06-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Yes it is. Biggest rivalry in the NBA, huge markets, great players and coaches have their legacy on the line and the Lakers trying to repeat. The last two NBA champs going head to head in a game seven playing physical basketball.

What can compare to it after Jordan's last title? Maybe the Lakers 3-peat.

Lakerfan8032
06-16-2010, 03:51 AM
In a word, YES!!!!!!

RipVW
06-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Before the series, most of PSD was saying that this 2010 Celtics were better than the 2008 Celtics. Why the flip-flopping?

Who's flip-flopping? I never said that. They havent been getting big contributions from Allen or Pierce for a while these playoffs (not just the Lakers) and they were huge a couple of years ago.

The Celtics also dont have other sources of outside shooting either. Posey and House also helped there.

I think the Lakers are better. In fact, the Lakers probably have the best two players in this series. It actually kind of looks like theyre underachieving. Bostons showing some fight but the Lakers probably should have won this by now.

Like I said, Im just not getting Ali-Frazier out of this since the Celtics' elevator is already on its way down. If the Lakers were at 2 years ago, where theyre at now, it probably would have felt more that way.

heathonater
06-16-2010, 04:25 AM
i dont know if its the biggest, but alot is on the line in game 7. for kobe's legacy, he needs to lead the lakers to a game 7 victory, because a home court loss in game 7 would do great damage to kobe's legacy.

bigmac8675
06-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Eh.... this series is kind of blah anyways. I mean we did just see this same **** a couple years ago. So my answer is "no" its just laker and celtic fans blowing things way out of proportion yet again. Starting to sound like yankee red sox fans lol

Rosh
06-16-2010, 05:51 AM
So my answer is "no" its just laker and celtic fans blowing things way out of proportion yet again.

We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen.

Honestly, and I'm being 100% truthful, I thought this was a joke thread. People back in the day who didn't even watch basketball tuned in to MJ's games.

I don't think you're gonna get that here.

The Jokemaker
06-16-2010, 08:34 AM
No not at all to me. I knew it was gonna go game 7 so I already anticipated that weeks ago. Lakers will win.

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
jordansbulls. maybe you should edit or maybe not. did you mean in the NBA FINALS? if it doesnt i remember lots of hype for kings lakers . that delivered. otherwise the 84 probably takes it

I meant all time. I am just trying to figure out where this would rank?

I think Bulls vs Pacers 1998 was simply because it could have been MJ's last game.

But other than that, I would think Bos vs LA in 1984 and LA vs Sac in 2002.

netsgiantsyanks
06-16-2010, 08:44 AM
not as anticipated because like someone said, i had a feeling there was going to be a game 7

td0tsfinest
06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
When was the last time a finals when to 7 games?

Da Knicks
06-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Lakers force game seven? no way! lol just found out through psd thats how much most people care. The ratings hmmm yeah i guess they could be alright many people who are not into basketball will see it for the reality t.v. it has become. I will be watching reruns of family guy...

king4day
06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Detroit / Spurs game 7 wasn't any bigger?

Laker and Celtics fans are excited because it's their teams. No one else really cares the way you guys do about these teams.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
It's probably better than any Finals game Jordan every played, simply because we don't know the outcome for this one. Everybody knew Jordan was going to win when in the finals.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
What about lakers vs kings game 7???

Kobes a Killer
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Da Knicks

Lakers force game seven? no way! lol just found out through psd thats how much most people care. The ratings hmmm yeah i guess they could be alright many people who are not into basketball will see it for the reality t.v. it has become. I will be watching reruns of family guy...

wow...but you care enough to go into forums about the game and make comments...

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 10:11 AM
i dont know if its the biggest, but alot is on the line in game 7. for kobe's legacy, he needs to lead the lakers to a game 7 victory, because a home court loss in game 7 would do great damage to kobe's legacy.

Yep and it would do great wonders as well if he won and got finals mvp.

mikantsass
06-16-2010, 10:22 AM
My personal feeling is that it would be bigger if Perk was playing and if Bynum was 100%

EaglesJackson10
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Is that a joke?

"Cause it's two large cities"? It's because it's Celtics vs Lakers, the second biggest rivalry in all of sports history behind Yankees vs. Red Sox.

And to reference other Game 7's - Detroit vs San Antonio was boring as hell. The ratings reflected that. It was the second worst NBA Finals ratings ever behind Cleveland vs San Antonio.

I hope you mean in all of pro sports because it is not a bigger rivalry than Michigan Ohio State or Duke North Carolina.

marlinsfan24
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Eh.... this series is kind of blah anyways. I mean we did just see this same **** a couple years ago. So my answer is "no" its just laker and celtic fans blowing things way out of proportion yet again. Starting to sound like yankee red sox fans lol

This. Game 6, I had no idea the game was even going on, I plan on doing the same Thursday.

The Final Boss
06-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Is that a joke?

Lol biggest rivalry in sports is Yankees vs. Redsox? Lay off the ESPN man. They're "rivalry" is all hype. How can you be rivals with a team when one team is dominate for 100 years and the other (Sox) were irrelevant for almost 90 years? Lol

Furthermore S.I. polled and the biggest baseball rivalry was Dodgers vs. Giants. Nice try though. Dodgers vs. Yankees is closer too. Lol

Anyway I just wanted to add, and I'm not sure how many Lakers fans I speak for, but Lakers and Celtics is no longer a rivalry. Yes it was at two points but Boston fans and the media are trying desperately to rehype this "rivalry" when again one team is always relevant and the other (Boston) has been irrelevant for 20+ years. And will be again no matter what the outcome of this series. In the end and correct me if I'm wrong but Lakers fans can care less about Boston. Every teams rival is the Lakers when in reality the Lakers can give a **** about everyone. They win championships against everyone and everyone hates on them like you mentioned your hate in your post.

Nice try though.

EaglesJackson10
06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
To answer your question No. This series is blown way out of proportion by Lakers and Celtics fans. No one really cares about this rivalry as much as these fans do. The same goes with any other rivalry. ESPN is trying so hard to get people to care but they just don't. The last time they played it was more interesting because it was the first time in 20 years, None of the Celtics had ever won a title, and Kobe hadn't won a title without Shaq. Now all of that has changed and it's lost all of intrigue. Honestly every game of the 2008 series was more exciting to me than this game because I could care less who wins. I will root for the Lakers IF I watch the game but it really doesn't matter as much as you want it to.

still1ballin
06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes for me

hugepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Lol biggest rivalry in sports is Yankees vs. Redsox? Lay off the ESPN man. They're "rivalry" is all hype. How can you be rivals with a team when one team is dominate for 100 years and the other (Sox) were irrelevant for almost 90 years? Lol

Furthermore S.I. polled and the biggest baseball rivalry was Dodgers vs. Giants. Nice try though. Dodgers vs. Yankees is closer too. Lol

Anyway I just wanted to add, and I'm not sure how many Lakers fans I speak for, but Lakers and Celtics is no longer a rivalry. Yes it was at two points but Boston fans and the media are trying desperately tp rehype this "rivalry" when again one team is always relevant and the other (Boston) has been irrelevant for 20+ years. And will be again no matter what the outcome of this series. In the end and correct me if I'm wrong but Lakers fans can careless about Boston. Every teams rival is the Lakers when in reality the Lakers can give a **** about everyone. They win championships against everyone and everyone hates on them like you mentioned your hate in your post.

Nice try though.

That logic sucks. If that is the way you feel, BOS and LA was never a rivalry. BOS has won almost every time they played. Wouldn't that count as one team dominating the other?

EDIT: WOW!!! I just finished the rest of your post and I can't believe how ridiculous it is.

EaglesJackson10
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Anyway I just wanted to add, and I'm not sure how many Lakers fans I speak for, but Lakers and Celtics is no longer a rivalry. Yes it was at two points but Boston fans and the media are trying desperately tp rehype this "rivalry" when again one team is always relevant and the other (Boston) has been irrelevant for 20+ years. And will be again no matter what the outcome of this series. In the end and correct me if I'm wrong but Lakers fans can careless about Boston. Every teams rival is the Lakers when in reality the Lakers can give a **** about everyone. They win championships against everyone and everyone hates on them like you mentioned your hate in your post.

Nice try though.

No the Yankees Red Sox rivalry is not all hype. There are so many more moments from that rivalry that are remembered than from Dodgers Giants. Who cares what SI says. The Celtics Lakers rivalry is all hype now nothing has happened in this "rivalry" in 25 years.

Pauleboman
06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
The most anticipated game I would say yes..A game 7 for the chamionship should be..It is going to be a long off season until football at least starts..Very important game indeed
It should be a good one..

marlinsfan24
06-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Nice try though.

All I got out of this was extreme bias.

20R8ersfaN08
06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
i dont know. It certenley doesnt feel like it personally.

does ur opinion have anything to do with the Lakers eliminating the Suns?

awmathewsjr
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM

you obviously don't watch a lot of basketball. In the last 15yrs there has only been one Finals game 7 and that was by the two most boring teams the NBA had to offer(Spurs v. Pistons '05). And as far as the other finals they were all one-sided. To me it has nothing to do with the rivalry or the cities, it's all about the competition.

awmathewsjr
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM

I think you're being a little hard on Boston. I mean after all they are in the Finals game 7 v. the Lakers, who up until they played the Celtics were pretty dominant in this years playoffs.

awmathewsjr
06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
The 3-peat Shaq yrs and their battles of 2000 WCF against Portland and 2002 WCF against Sacramento, both series on the Peacock Network (NBC) was the most exciting time for the NBA. Both series went to game 7's. And both game 7's lived up to the hype.

This is true, but i'd give the edge to LakersvBoston because this could be the last time we see a game like this in a while and plus this is the Final not the WCF

yuoke
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
No the Yankees Red Sox rivalry is not all hype. There are so many more moments from that rivalry that are remembered than from Dodgers Giants. Who cares what SI says. The Celtics Lakers rivalry is all hype now nothing has happened in this "rivalry" in 25 years.

There are many moments from every rivalry, it's just a matter of who your favorite team is. There are many great moments in the White Sox-Twins rivalry(Soxfan).

In the last 15yrs there has only been one Finals game 7 and that was by the two most boring teams the NBA had to offer(Spurs v. Pistons '05).

Why are they boring?

conway429
06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
not as anticipated because like someone said, i had a feeling there was going to be a game 7

that's kind of what anticipation means...

kingkenny01
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
who care about lakers vs. celtics now maybe in the 80's but not now
there the world cup i car more about
only finals i want to see is kobe vs lebron

xbrackattackx
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
that's kind of what anticipation means...

Got'em

RipVW
06-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Nice try though.

Not the Bulls. Nice try though.

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Definitely the biggest NBA game since Jordan retired.

Game 7 of the NBA Finals; Lakers vs. Celtics for the second time in 3 seasons; HOFers in Kobe, KG, Allen, maybe Pierce; the series has been back-and-forth since game 1; Phil Jackson going for his 11th NBA title, Rivers for his 2nd.

In my mind, this game is by far the biggest since Jordan's last game as a Bull.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I think you're being a little hard on Boston. I mean after all they are in the Finals game 7 v. the Lakers, who up until they played the Celtics were pretty dominant in this years playoffs.

They have 3 potential hall of famers who havent played like it the vast majority of the time. Theyre missing a lot of open shots that they hit a couple of years ago.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Definitely the biggest NBA game since Jordan retired.

Game 7 of the NBA Finals; Lakers vs. Celtics for the second time in 3 seasons; HOFers in Kobe, KG, Allen, maybe Pierce; the series has been back-and-forth since game 1; Phil Jackson going for his 11th NBA title, Rivers for his 2nd.

In my mind, this game is by far the biggest since Jordan's last game as a Bull.

Why is Allen more of a lock as a HOFer than Pierce?

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 11:53 AM
No not at all to me. I knew it was gonna go game 7 so I already anticipated that weeks ago. Lakers will win.

You were so confident that I bet you didn't even watch the first 6 games of the Finals.

The Final Boss
06-16-2010, 11:59 AM
The truth always seems to ruffle feathers. I'm sorry that not everyone can be from Los Angeles.

m26555
06-16-2010, 11:59 AM
When was the last time a finals when to 7 games?
Pistons/Spurs back in 2005.

Sly Guy
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
if by anticipated, you mean I won't tune in, then yes, this is the most anticipated game 7 of all time.

Jamiecballer
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM

no, you got that bang on.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
The truth always seems to ruffle feathers. I'm sorry that not everyone can be from Los Angeles.

Theres nothing truthful in what you said. It was just a bunch of nonsensical posturing. BTW, its "care less about Boston". And, I might add, Boston has won 9 out of 11 finals against you. Theyve punched you in the mouth repeatedly over the years. Their success rate against you is 82%. If anything, the Boston fans are the ones who should be saying the Lakers arent a rival.

LakersWinAgain
06-16-2010, 12:09 PM
if by anticipated, you mean I won't tune in, then yes, this is the most anticipated game 7 of all time.

But yet, you spend your time on an NBA board. You must be a hater.

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Why is Allen more of a lock as a HOFer than Pierce?

Cuz he's had a much better career.

MacFitz92
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
who would that be?

I don't like Kobe, but even I can admit he's defintely top 10 all-time.

I think this is obviously one of the biggest game 7s the league has had. You could make it an argument that it is the biggest game 7 of all time or even the most anticipated game of all time, but truth to be told, the outcome of the game will dictate how we remember this series. If it's a tight game and it comes down to the last seconds, it could be the biggest game of all time.

Let's not forget Boston won it in '08, and L.A. won it in '09. The two most decorated basketball teams in the NBA, lets get real, it doesn't get much better than this if your team isn't in the Finals. Both teams want to play eachother, Boston is good on the road, L.A. is good at home, it should be one for the ages.

awmathewsjr
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
They have 3 potential hall of famers who havent played like it the vast majority of the time. Theyre missing a lot of open shots that they hit a couple of years ago.

That doesn't make them a shell of they're former self. If you remember the year they won, Boston played horrilble in the first round against the 8th seed Hawks, matter of fact it went to game 7. And even though they're not hittin like they were, they're still defending. So if they win tonight I guess that makes the entire league a shell of they're former self because boston would still be the best.

*Silver&Black*
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
If you think this is the biggest game since Jordan, than David Stern has won.

JWO35
06-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Not for me, I've been hyped up more for other games...

EaglesJackson10
06-16-2010, 12:27 PM

Name a moment from the Dodgers Giants rivalry that is bigger than the 2004 ALCS, Aaron Boone, Buckey Dent, the Don Zimmer Pedro fight, and the Curse of the bambino. There is absolutely no doubt that Red Sox Yankees is the best rivalry in baseball. I don't care what any bias dodgers fan says. If you talk to someone who does not know alot about baseball they will know about Babe Ruth who is strongly associated with both teams. It is by FAR the biggest rivalry in baseball and this is coming from a non-bias phillies fan.

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I remember three straight years the Bulls and Pistons went to game seven, and those were crazy series. And Pistons/Lakers in 88 was crazy to. I think this is a big deal with this is that the east has been so weak for so much of the past decade, that the finals has rarely had much flair. I mean 99: Spurs beat the Knicks 4-1. 2000: Lakers over Pacers in 6, then over Philly in 5, then a sweep over the nets, then the Spurs sweep the nets, then the Pistons DOMINATE the Lakers in five, finally a game 7 in 05 with the Spurs and Pistons, but neither are markets that reach many NBA fans nationally (though that was a great series), then the Heat in 6 over Dallas, the Spurs sweep the Cavs, Celtics over Lakers in 6, then the Lakers over the Magic in 5. So this is only the second game seven in the finals in the last decade, and the only one with a big market team like LA and the winningest team in Boston. This is only the third game seven in the finals since 89, so in over twenty years the finals has only reached a game seven three times. So it seems like a big deal now because its been a while since to storied franchises had a game seven, but in the history of the game I wouldnt say it the biggest. I would say 84 was a bigger deal for sure because it was the two best players in the league, they had come in the league together, played against each other, had a history, and were both defining and popularizing the game while both leading dynasties to multiple titles.

I got respect for Peirce, Garnett, Allen, Rondo, Kobe, Gasol and Odom, but the bottom line is Magic and Bird did more for the game than Kobe did (even if he may be better than both of them, which is debatable) and also haveing guys like Kareem who also helped to define the game throughout the 70's and some of the greats like worhty, McHale and Parish... the 09 Lakers/Celtics game seven doesnt stack up to the 84 Lakers/Celtics game seven, but it is still a treat!

The[chi][town]
06-16-2010, 12:41 PM
i havnt really been watching much(blackhawks stanley cup, sox-cubs series) but most people ive been talking to said this series has been ****. when i turned it on yesterday lakers were already up by 20 so i just turned it off.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Name a moment from the Dodgers Giants rivalry that is bigger than the 2004 ALCS, Aaron Boone, Buckey Dent, the Don Zimmer Pedro fight, and the Curse of the bambino. There is absolutely no doubt that Red Sox Yankees is the best rivalry in baseball. I don't care what any bias dodgers fan says. If you talk to someone who does not know alot about baseball they will know about Babe Ruth who is strongly associated with both teams. It is by FAR the biggest rivalry in baseball and this is coming from a non-bias phillies fan.

When someone says biggest rivalry, a lot can go into that. Dont be too quick to dismiss the Dodgers-Giants from a fan standpoint. We all know Red Sox fans and Yankees fans are always going at each other. But its also like that with the SF and LA fans. A few years ago, someone was actually shot and killed in some Dodger-Giant fan conflict.

Obviously the Giants and Dodgers havent had the recent team success that the Red Sox and Yankees have had. But if you go further back in time, you could also probably make the case that the Yankees and Dodgers were bigger historically, including when they were in NY.

The problem is that ESPN is located in between NYC and Boston. And you have a lot of m*******s and new yorkers that work for that station. And it permeates their content. The people who work at ESPN (even the ones not from there) are exposed to the local hype, whether its ESPN, YES, NESN, or whatever on a day to day basis. The people who work at ESPN arent privy to anything outside of that region. Theyre too immersed in the bias. But its kind of the same thing with the NFL Network, which is located in southern California. Regional bias permeates NFLNs programming as well.

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
[town];13678112']i havnt really been watching much(blackhawks stanley cup, sox-cubs series) but most people ive been talking to said this series has been ****. when i turned it on yesterday lakers were already up by 20 so i just turned it off.

Well no one likes blowouts.

Tragedy
06-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Cuz he's had a much better career.
Don't act like Paul Pierce hasn't had a great, great career. I think it's funny how many people discredit Pierce. Look up the damn numbers..

Yeah, this is probably the biggest game. Certainly the most hyped. What has been even close to this type of hype? EVERYONE is intrigued by this, even non-fans of basketball. If you can bring in non fans, that's big. This isn't the Super Bowl where non fans watch it anyways; Most non fans of basketball do not tune in to watch the NBA Finals.

It's going to be a fun game, and it's been a great series.

Theres nothing truthful in what you said. It was just a bunch of nonsensical posturing. BTW, its "care less about Boston". And, I might add, Boston has won 9 out of 11 finals against you. Theyve punched you in the mouth repeatedly over the years. Their success rate against you is 82%. If anything, the Boston fans are the ones who should be saying the Lakers arent a rival.
:clap:

This is why I won't be "as hurt" as I could be if we lose in Game 7. For starters, no one expected us to make it this far. It's been fun seeing how everyone predicted against the Celtics when we played the Heat, Cavs, AND Orlando. Just insane. And at the same time, we've dominated the Lakers in our Finals history. They owe us one after we embarrassed them in Game 6 in 2008. It's like Yankees vs. Red Sox, and we're the Yankees. If we lose one series to them and it's the 3rd time we've done it, that's really not the end of the world. So we're 11-3 against the Lakers...LOL.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 01:24 PM
That doesn't make them a shell of they're former self. If you remember the year they won, Boston played horrilble in the first round against the 8th seed Hawks, matter of fact it went to game 7. And even though they're not hittin like they were, they're still defending. So if they win tonight I guess that makes the entire league a shell of they're former self because boston would still be the best.

Yeah, thats great. But, if youll remember, Ray Allen had a lot of drama with him going cold going into the finals. But in the Cavs series, Pierce and others were able to carry the day. Now, no one is consistently hitting. And its great that theyre still playing defense but you still need to hit shots though, especially open ones. The big 4 are looking very ordinary for the most part.

69centers
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
No, this is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NBA_Finals

Jerry West and the heavily favored Lakers were supposed to win Game 7 in their building against an aging Celtics team, who were the 4th seed in the East and surprised everyone by getting to the Finals.

Hmmm, sound familiar? History has a strange way of repeating itself.

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't get the impression that this series matters as much to the average NBA fan. Most of my friends are Warriors fans. While they appreciate the historical significance, four of my friends have already told me that they won't be watching tomorrow night's game. They've decided to make it a family night and go see The Karate Kid.

Obviously as a Lakers fan, Game 7 is huge. Even for Fish and Kobe, who have been to the Finals 7 times in their career, you sense the urgency. These opportunities don't come around very often, and when they do, you have to grab the brass ring.

I hope like hell we win it all.

- I want Phil Jackson to be faced with the unique dilemma of either going for another 3-peat or riding off into the sunset.

- I want Kobe fans and Kobe haters to seriously start the heated discussions of where Kobe ranks among the top 10 all-time greats.

- I want Derek Fisher to raise a fist to his detractors with all 5 rings glistening under the Southern California sun.

- And I want free agents to earnestly start discussing strategy to help build a team designed solely to bring an end to the Lakers mini-reign. Most NBA fans may not appreciate this Lakers-Celtics series, but what if it was the Lakers vs. a team comprised of LeBron, Wade, and (add any other FA name here), a team that stands in the way of Kobe's 6th title???

69centers
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
IMO, this game is bigger for the Lakers than the Celtics.

If the Lakers win, they were the favorite to repeat all year, had one of, if not the best teams in the league, and had games 6 and 7 on their floor. A great win, but the Celtics won't come off looking all that bad.

If Boston wins, after going through Wade, Lebron, Howard, and now Kobe, with home court in only one of these series, without Perkins in Game 7, with the last two games on the road, will be one of the biggest Finals championship runs in history, regardless of what franchise it is. This would be a monumental NBA feat and team championship.

In other words, Celtics winning will make the Lakers look real, real bad. We won't have as much egg on our face if we lose, considering the awful 2-3-2 format, our mediocre regular season, and our injuries, including Perk in the Finals. Lakers will have no excuse. Bynum played every game. Perk probably will not.

PrettyBoyJ
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM

I didnt kno Celtics had any top 10 players on there team..:facepalm:

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2010, 02:17 PM
If Boston wins, after going through Wade, Lebron, Howard, and now Kobe, with home court in only one of these series, without Perkins in Game 7, with the last two games on the road, will be one of the biggest Finals championship runs in history, regardless of what franchise it is. This would be a monumental NBA feat and team championship.

I agree that it would be an impressive run, one that no one other than maybe Doc Rivers believed possible.

That said, there is nothing impressive about going through Wade and the Heat. Let's be real. That team needs 2 more players at least to make it truly competitive.

I'd even hazzard to say that there isn't much that's impressive about trouncing LeBron's Cavs. How often have we seen teams built for great runs during the regular season collapse in the playoffs? Not just in basketball, but in every sport. Way too often. And the fact that LeBron's Cavs have been guilty of said collapse in back to back seasons makes them suspect.

The win against Howard's Magic was definitely impressive, even though personally I feel that the better coach won, as opposed to the better team. I've never been a big fan of SVG. I actually like Doc Rivers...well, before he came on board as a Celtics coach. :)

But if the Celtics manage to beat the Lakers in 7 games on the road, I'll tip my hat to the C's with a great deal of respect for their achievement. Not because they're not capable of winning, but because I honestly believe that at this stage of their careers, the Lakers have the better, more consistent core players and should win the series.

More-Than-Most
06-16-2010, 02:23 PM
This series has not been that exciting. I really don't care who wins, Also the Jordan statement... I was not big on basketball in the 90s because I was still young but even I watched when Jordan played in the finals. The Celtics/Lakers finals is extremely over hyped... Is it a good series? Yes... but lets leave it at that because any further would blow it way out of proportion.

Aussy4GM
06-16-2010, 02:26 PM
It's probably better than any Finals game Jordan every played, simply because we don't know the outcome for this one. Everybody knew Jordan was going to win when in the finals.

Thats not true at all. Stockton & Malone werent a threat youre saying?

Aussy4GM
06-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Bynum played every game. Perk probably will not.

Common Now. Bynum Has Played Hurt The Entire Playoffs Dude So Dont act Like The Falling Of Perkins Will Be The Reason You Guys Lose.

Sox72
06-16-2010, 02:29 PM
eh, i don't think anyone besides lakers and celtics fans and real die-hard nba fans really care much about this series.

showtym24
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
No, this is:

Jerry West and the heavily favored Lakers were supposed to win Game 7 in their building against an aging Celtics team, who were the 4th seed in the East and surprised everyone by getting to the Finals.

Digging pretty deep for some hope. LOL. Sure they had some momentum from staying alive and winning game six. Sound familiar? Cant wait till tomorrow.

Aussy4GM
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Furthermore S.I. polled and the biggest baseball rivalry was Dodgers vs. Giants. Nice try though. Dodgers vs. Yankees is closer too. Lol.

Kick This Guy Out Of PSD Right Now. That Was THE DUMBEST POST I THINK IVE EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. seriously, and you want to talk about boston not being relevant in the past 20 years? dumbass they just won a title in 08! look at your dodgers. what have they done in the past 20 years *******? what have the giants done besides roll over in 02? common dude people like you are the reason why there are moderators in the forums. You should have to pass a literacy test to post in these forums. you should be ashamed of yourself no doubt. i can name rivalries for days that are better than that garbage. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Pauleboman
06-16-2010, 02:37 PM
eh, i don't think anyone besides lakers and celtics fans and real die-hard nba fans really care much about this series.

You must be under the weather a bit..These are the best teams now so I bet if you watch em play for all the marbles it will be good..I really dont care who wins all though Tibs is on the Celtics..I love Lakers cause our old coaches are there.I guess I will go east conference and the C`s..

gerber
06-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Kobe Bryant: HOF
Pau Gasol: HOF
PJ: HOF
KG: HOF
Ray Allen: HOF
PP and Fisher: IFFY HOF
Brian Scalabrine: HOF

Yes this is the most anticipated Game 7 of all time IMO, and if not then it certainly up there.

gerber
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
No, this is:

WOW thats weird anyways history is history, dont rely to much on it.

Double_R
06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
It's a collective group of past their prime stars that make up for an overachieving good team vs. Kobe and the inconsistents... the anticipation isn't killing me... I would rather watch a game 3 with Magic and Bird.

Double_R
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Pau Gasol:
Ray Allen:
PP and Fisher: IFFY HOF, haha... maybe PP
Brian Scalabrine:

Yes this is the most anticipated Game 7 of all time IMO, and if not then it certainly up there.

BTW KObe and KG are the only definites and Phil

Sox72
06-16-2010, 02:46 PM
You must be under the weather a bit..These are the best teams now so I bet if you watch em play for all the marbles it will be good..I really dont care who wins all though Tibs is on the Celtics..I love Lakers cause our old coaches are there.I guess I will go east conference and the C`s..

Not under the weather at all, but thanks for the concern. I agree that the game will be good. I just disagreed that it's the most anticipated Game 7 of all time.

Da Knicks
06-16-2010, 02:48 PM
^ this

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Kick This Guy Out Of PSD Right Now. That Was THE DUMBEST POST I THINK IVE EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. seriously, and you want to talk about boston not being relevant in the past 20 years? dumbass they just won a title in 08! look at your dodgers. what have they done in the past 20 years *******? what have the giants done besides roll over in 02? common dude people like you are the reason why there are moderators in the forums. You should have to pass a literacy test to post in these forums. you should be ashamed of yourself no doubt. i can name rivalries for days that are better than that garbage. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

You should be ashamed of yourself for putting a .gif of a clear goaltend as your sig.

Lo Porto
06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Basketball was here long before MJ and will be here long after. Jordan was great, but he's not even the best of all time. Basketball is more than one player. If Jordan has to do with anything, it's the lockout coming soon. His greed from 1996-98 caused the extreme contracts we see today. He's also the main reason why we see stars get treated differently than regular players.

This series is great because it's two great teams competing. That's what it's all about. Forget Jordan...

kblo247
06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Speaking of Jordan:

Did anyone else besides me hope for a Rockets-Bulls series back in the 90s?

Tony_Starks
06-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Its up there. I think the game 7's against Portland and Sacramento earlier this decade were pretty serious too though. Everybody thought LA was going down both times.

sean17c
06-16-2010, 05:03 PM
yeah right.
i was more excited for game 7 of the bulls vs celtics.

that series was WAAAAYYYY BETTER

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 05:19 PM

If the Lakers win, they were the favorite to repeat all year, had one of, if not the best teams in the league, and had games 6 and 7 on their floor. A great win, but the Celtics won't come off looking all that bad.

In other words, Celtics winning will make the Lakers look real, real bad. We won't have as much egg on our face if we lose, considering the awful 2-3-2 format, our mediocre regular season, and our injuries, including Perk in the Finals. Lakers will have no excuse. Bynum played every game. Perk probably will not.

The "awful" 2-3-2 format gave your Celtics the pivotal Game 5 at home. Otherwise, the Lakers would have had that game at home and a more likely chance to be up 3-2 heading into Boston.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Speaking of Jordan:

Did anyone else besides me hope for a Rockets-Bulls series back in the 90s?

If it wasn't for a Stockton buzzer-beater, then that could have been a possibility back in 97 if I'm not mistaken.

Korman12
06-16-2010, 05:24 PM
yeah right.

I can't understand why you would say that.:rolleyes:

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 05:25 PM
DJ Mbenga: HOF

Fixed :)

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 05:27 PM
yeah right.

No way! The Hawks/Bucks game 7 was so much better. :D

But seriously, the Lakers/Celtics is probably the biggest game since Jordan retired. Hopefully it isn't a blowout.

kArSoN RyDaH
06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
sounds to me like a bunch of haters arent gonna watch because its not their teams in the finals. sorry the lakers and celtics have great histories fellas. get over it.

Tony_Starks
06-16-2010, 05:32 PM

I disagree, I think its waaay more important to Boston. If Lakers lose they'll still be contending for the championship the next 3-4 years. This could very well mean Bostons last shot for quite a while.

To me if the Lakers win it would be very impressive because throw the records out the window this is still the same core that beat them in '08. Also Bostons record would've been better had they not rested guys toward the end so their record is a bit misleading.

The only issue with Boston has always been health. Had KG been healthy last year who's to say they wouldn't have been in the finals then?

NYMetros
06-16-2010, 05:34 PM
They havent been getting big contributions from Allen or Pierce for a while these playoffs (not just the Lakers) and they were huge a couple of years ago.

Wrong. Ray Allen and Pierce are just as good if not better than 2 years ago.

These playoffs
Pierce: 18.8 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 44.2 FG%
Ray: 16.3 PPG, 44% FG

2008 playoffs:
Pierce: 19.7 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 44.1% FG
Ray: 15.6 PPG, 42% FG

Ray is better. Pierce is the same, considering he had a buzzer beater in round 1 vs Miami, huge game 6 vs Orlando (31 points, 13 rebounds), was the Celtics closer in game 4 vs LA, and had a huge game 5 vs LA (27 points). If he has a 20+ point game tomorrow and the celts win then he's probably the MVP. What more do you want from him, lol?

The Celtics also dont have other sources of outside shooting either. Posey and House also helped there.

Uh, Ok?

I think the Lakers are better. In fact, the Lakers probably have the best two players in this series. It actually kind of looks like theyre underachieving. Bostons showing some fight but the Lakers probably should have won this by now.

Lakers have the 2 best players, but the Celtics have the next 4 best players.

Like I said, Im just not getting Ali-Frazier out of this since the Celtics' elevator is already on its way down. If the Lakers were at 2 years ago, where theyre at now, it probably would have felt more that way.

LOL, how's it already on the way down? Did you predict that they were going to be in a game 7 in the Finals before the playoffs started? I doubt it.

natelpete
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
This series is way overrated.. Not for of the lack of all-stars or the lack of a rivalry. There just haven't been any games where both teams are playing their best at the same time. It's either, Lakers dominating and the Celtics can't do anything, or visa versa. The Big 4 isn't playing well but their bench is, Kobe is goin off but nobody else is, etc, etc... Know what I mean?

I just want to see a close, back and forth, end to end game. May the best team win, even though I got money on the C's.

dnl123
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes this is the biggest game of this season obviously, maybe the biggest game since Jordan retired. I think it would probably be more watched if the two biggest NBA stars (Kobe and Lebron) were going head to head, but the Celts vs. the Lakers is cool to me cause I'm a big follower of NBA history, but I think alot of fans are getting tired of it.

n83417
06-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Because there has only been 3 game 7s in the NBA finals in the past 21 years

Lo Porto
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Who cares about Michael Jordan seriously? The last time he played, he sucked in Washington. And what game would you care about with MJ? He never played in a Game 7 Finals game because the NBA wouldn't allow him to lose. Hell, they even let him stiff arm another player with the game tied for his "signature moment".

Thank you for a fun series Boston and LA. It's been entertaining and better than any series that MJ ever played in.

smith&wesson
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Boston Faithful;13675628] For as much as Kobe wants to be Jordan, I think this is the end of the line for Kobe Bryant in the discussion of even top 5 players of all-time. If he loses this, no way he even comes close to top 5. He'll be 4-3 in the Finals, I would say Magic and Kareem were far and away better Lakers.[QUOTE]

last time i checked, kobe just renewed on a three year deal. how is this one game going to effect his legacy ? when he could very well be in the finals again next year and the year after that ??

im not even a laker fan, i just think your jumping the gun here. yes it is a very important finals game. but it doesnt mean that it will be kobes last. Looking at the lakers squad i woudlnt say its crazy to think that they could be in the finals again in the next 2 seasons.

kobe still has legs under him. he isnt washed up. your making it seem like this could be his last play off run. i highly doubt that.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I think Game 7 in 1988 was extremely anticipated. The Bad Boys were trying to begin a championship run and the Lakers were capping their era off. Everybody knew this and the fact that Game 6 came down to a controversial basket and a one point victory, Game 7 became even more anticipated.

MacFitz92
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM

KG, Kobe, Jackson, Ray Allen, and probably Paul Pierce.

Fisher probably, and Pau Gasol is iffy at best.

I will assume you were joking about 'ol Leprechaun.

natelpete
06-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Who cares about Michael Jordan seriously? The last time he played, he sucked in Washington. And what game would you care about with MJ? He never played in a Game 7 Finals game because the NBA wouldn't allow him to lose. Hell, they even let him stiff arm another player with the game tied for his "signature moment".

Thank you for a fun series Boston and LA. It's been entertaining and better than any series that MJ ever played in.

As Dikembe would do :no:

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Is it Thursday yet?

RipVW
06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
As Dikembe would do :no:

Yeah, just ignore the troll.

GodsSon
06-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Is that a joke?

Leafs and Habs fans would beg to differ...as would Juve and Inter fans and Man U and Liverpool fans

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/06/01/nba_ratings/)

The possibility of it being Michael Jordan's final game brought NBC the highest television rating in NBA history for a game not in the finals.

Sunday's Game 7 of the Bulls-Pacers series got a 20.7 overnight rating. (A ratings point represents 980,000 households.) That number is expected to fall slightly below 19 when the national ratings are released Tuesday, but should easily top the 16.3 for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals between New York and Boston in 1973.

Only three NBA games in history have eclipsed a 20.0 national rating -- Detroit-Los Angeles, Game 7, 1988, 21.2; Chicago-Phoenix, Game 6, 1993, 20.3; and Utah-Chicago, Game 5, 1997, 20.1.

Chicago's title runs have generated five of the seven highest rated finals in history, including the two highest, a 17.9 in 1993 against Phoenix and a 16.8 last year against the Jazz.

Will tomorrow's game top the Det vs LAL Game 7

Sly Guy
06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
But yet, you spend your time on an NBA board. You must be a hater.

I don't hate the teams, well I do, equally, but my gripe is with the officiating. Game 7 was predestined to be before the series began. So although it's truly the only game that matters, I'm not watching in protest to the wwe direction the league is taking.

boolish
06-16-2010, 08:36 PM
no i don't think it will be close. LOS by double digits.

SteveNash
06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Will tomorrow's game top the Det vs LAL Game 7

Won't even come close. This series has been terrible, kind of like SA vs DET a few years ago. Too many ups and downs, no consistency.

The LA vs DET would have been one of the greatest series had Isiah not been injured and the blown call at the end of game 6.

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
The LA vs DET would have been one of the greatest series had Isiah not been injured and the blown call at the end of game 6.

I agree.