PDA

View Full Version : Does Jeff VanGundy Seem Bitter?

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Before anybody starts and this thread gets locked down, I think VanGundy is a great coach and a smart guy, but when I'm watching games that he is commentating for, he just seems so bitter. Like last year he was dissing the 6th Man Award because it was like giving an award out for the guys who arent good enough to start (where as I see it as rewarding players who areversatile enough to play multiple positions and come of the bench for the sake of the team). He just always seems to be harping about something everytime I hear him. And his logic that certain fouls are ok to call during the game but shouldnt be called in the closing minutes of the game... its just annoying because ever play counts.

Does anybody else feel like JVG is a little bitter when he's commentating, or is this just me? I'm take a Doug Collins and Marv Albert over Jackson and VanGundy any day of the week (though i don't mind Jackson as much).

Cromedome
06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
I like Jeff Van Gundy for his honesty. Players flop..and he calls them out. The refs miss the call or make the wrong call...and he states the obvious.

Jeff, come back home. The New York Knicks haven't been the same without you.

Klivlend
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't have a problem with JVG at all. I think him and Jackson work pretty well together.

Lakersho
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
sour grapes...

carter15
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I like the him and Jackson duo.

fadedmario
06-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I like Jeff Van Gundy. Come coach the Pistons. We could use a real coach.

DisturbedFTW83
06-15-2010, 06:59 PM
JVG is awesome. If he has an opinion, that's fine. That's what an opinion is for. He's got knowledge of the game, has been a very successful coach, and likes to be in the middle of scuffles in Knicks/Heat rivalries.

fadedmario
06-15-2010, 07:03 PM
He's a better coach than his brother. Someone needs to give him a shot.

PrettyBoyJ
06-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I think that's what makes his commentary popular.. his sarcastic comments, his insults, and being blunt and direct about whats goin on.. its good tv you wouldnt want a guy who sounds boring calling the game

Kakaroach
06-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I love JVG, one of the more insightful and funny analysts there are. Plus he, Mark Jackson, and Mike Breen have great chemistry. And it doesn't seem like he's bitter to me. :shrug:

hgtiger32
06-15-2010, 07:05 PM
ill be the first to agree with you. he's by far my least favorite broadcaster...it was clear when he was calling the Orlando and Boston series that he was cheering for the Magic, and i know Stan's his bro but some of his comments then were ridiculous. i hope someone gives him a coaching job just for the sake that i don't have to hear him on TV anymore...

cubs0707
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
i guess im the first person that agrees with you.

everytime i hear him i think the same exact thing

Wilson
I always thought he was a decent coach, hate him as a commentator though. He states when people are flopping or a bad call is made (as someone mentioned) which I like, however he's also always trying to just say something shocking. That really irritates me.

cubs0707
opps im 2nd

cubs0707
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
i mean he got fired he really needs to get over it

RipVW
06-15-2010, 07:08 PM
He and Jackson are definitely both bitter. Theyre like a couple of passive aggressive, angry women.

RadiantShot
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
He's bitter, and he goes over-board, but he does call games the way he sees them. No cutting corners.

fadedmario
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
ill be the first to agree with you. he's by far my least favorite broadcaster...it was clear when he was calling the Orlando and Boston series that he was cheering for the Magic, and i know Stan's his bro but some of his comments then were ridiculous. i hope someone gives him a coaching job just for the sake that i don't have to hear him on TV anymore...

If it was your brother you'd be doing the same thing.

boriquaabe
06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Well the guy can't get a coaching job.... But he is a good analyst.

ldc62
06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
best commentator hands down.

jackdawson
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
JVG is OK.

But Mark Jackson sucks big time. Mark Jackson has history of making ridiculous comments.

Marv Albert is a legendary commentator. He is widely respected for that matter.

rever
06-15-2010, 07:22 PM
as far as the celtics magic series... he clearly wanted the magic to win. of course he would... but he said numerous times the celtics were the better team. even early on. so he is still impartial. he can see the truth and tells yoou it. no candy coating. i think he is the best anouncer of all and i am a celtics fan

SLY WILLIAMS
06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I dont think he is bitter. I just dont think he has a natural personality for TV. I think he is there more for his expertise. Bill Walton was a lot more fun while saying some crazy over the top things but JVG is more logical. I liked listening to Bill commentate though.

I'm glad JVG rags on floppers. I hope he continues until the rules are changed. The NBA went down hill when it went from a contact sport to a league that rewards acting.

jim51990
06-15-2010, 07:53 PM
no problem with vangundy but i cant stand jackson hes so annoying

natelpete
06-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I think he is a terrible commentator

Nighthawk
06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Doug Collins?? All he does is ball wash Kobe, Bron and other super stars.

I like Jackson and Van Gundy. Both hold no punches back

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
JVG is why mute buttons exist.

BkOriginalOne
06-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't why JVG doesn't have a job.
Let him take over the Clippers.

nico916
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
He must be bitter or something because he's always bugging people and trying to convince them that there should be one extra foul. If you know how this dude coaches then you know he likes to play through fouls all the time and many times makes his best players foul out. I bet he wouldn't be satisfied with 10 fouls or 8 fouls for the penalty. I like the way his teams are really good defensively but there must be a reason why he still doesn't have a J.O.B.

D Roses Bulls
06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
i cant stand van gundy, though i like his brother (stan) and i really cant stand jackson. i wish NBC so would take over the NBA telecasts again.

Cromedome
06-15-2010, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGC1R8LymXA

^ Queensbridge...and yes this WAS thread worthy and he did FLOP!

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 10:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGC1R8LymXA

^ Queensbridge...and yes this WAS thread worthy and he did FLOP!

You're delusional.

Cromedome
06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
You're delusional.

And you thought Ron simply fell on his own. Talk about delusional.

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 10:27 PM
And you thought Ron simply fell on his own. Talk about delusional.

Get your eyes checked, he didn't fall, he caught himself.

Reyes6
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
What makes him bitter? The fact that he hasn't slept since 1983 and his face looks like it's melting?

I love JVG, if I could have him commentate my life I would. But sadly he is busy with these Finals and he calls things as they are. Fisher flops, Artest Flops, Davis Flops, Pierce is a princess, and some of these commentators need correction which he is happy to say to them.

Reyes6
06-15-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm not sure if he turns in to a woman when gently pushed, but either way his street cred is out the window (if it hadn't already been).

Cromedome
06-15-2010, 10:30 PM

He caught himself? :facepalm: Ron Artist Artest was ACTING. Perhaps you need to get your eyes checked?

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 10:31 PM
He caught himself? :facepalm: Ron Artist Artest was ACTING. Perhaps you need to get your eyes checked?

Did he go down, did he hit the deck? You FAIL.

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure if he turns in to a woman when gently pushed, but either way his street cred is out the window (if it hadn't already been).

Yea, and you're the voice of street cred, thanks but I'll take your words to mean nothing.

Reyes6
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Yea, and you're the voice of street cred, thanks but I'll take your words to mean nothing.

Says the guy who must be unbiased as I can see from that signature. How many vids you want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2s6T4xrTo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz0LZB2cv8s

2 times he has flopped against the Celtics. And flopping is not about hitting the deck, it's about getting the technical... which he did.

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Says the guy who must be unbiased as I can see from that signature. How many vids you want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2s6T4xrTo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz0LZB2cv8s

2 times he has flopped in the finals. And flopping is not about hitting the deck, it's about getting the technical... which he did.

I don't have time for your ridiculous vid's, I got a game to watch besides I'm bored with you both now; not enough to challenge or stimulate me mentally.

Street cred authority. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SC1211
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
JVG is awesome. The only reason he hasn't gotten another job is because he's been on record saying he wants to keep commentating. Jackson, on the other hand, is an idiot. Not the brightest guy.

Also, Artest is a total flopper. I watched almost every Rockets game the year he was with us. I loved it when he was on our team, but at least I acknowledged it. Don't be asinine.

Reyes6
06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Rajon Rondo weighs 171lbs... and as your sig dictates Artest tries to act like he is tough. If a 171lb man is able to knock you over with a simple one-handed push, then maybe... just maybe, you may be acting.

Either Artest was acting or he is really that soft, it's your choice.

And JvG is a great coach, could really help a team like the Grizzlies or Knicks on their Defense.

topdog
06-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Before anybody starts and this thread gets locked down, I think VanGundy is a great coach and a smart guy, but when I'm watching games that he is commentating for, he just seems so bitter. Like last year he was dissing the 6th Man Award because it was like giving an award out for the guys who arent good enough to start (where as I see it as rewarding players who areversatile enough to play multiple positions and come of the bench for the sake of the team). He just always seems to be harping about something everytime I hear him. And his logic that certain fouls are ok to call during the game but shouldnt be called in the closing minutes of the game... its just annoying because ever play counts.

Does anybody else feel like JVG is a little bitter when he's commentating, or is this just me? I'm take a Doug Collins and Marv Albert over Jackson and VanGundy any day of the week (though i don't mind Jackson as much).

I was a little confused by your use of the term "bitter." Usually, it is associated with a grudge or bad experience or something.

If you're merely talking about Van Gundy's personality, then he's the George Castanza of commentators. I really like him though because he does make good points about what teams and players are doing and his proposals may not be mainstream or popular but it's interesting to hear a different point of view that is substantiated rather than merely opionated.

I don't especially enjoy Jackson. I agree with whoever said that it seems like he's always trying to audition for a coaching job.

boolish
06-15-2010, 11:44 PM
that's his "shtick"....that's his appeal....

boolish
06-15-2010, 11:47 PM
He's a better coach than his brother. Someone needs to give him a shot.

he turns down jobs every year to coach in the nba. he just turned down CLE....

topdog
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't get what people are saying about him having trouble getting a job... he turned down some offers from the Nets and some other teams. He likes what he's doing right now and so do I.

Raidaz4Life
06-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I love JVG, one of the more insightful and funny analysts there are. Plus he, Mark Jackson, and Mike Breen have great chemistry. And it doesn't seem like he's bitter to me. :shrug:

This

hugepatsfan
06-16-2010, 12:25 AM
If Doc retires, I hope Aigne hires him.

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 01:39 AM
He seems very jaded by the NBA. Every comment is negative, unless he's trying to make a lame joke or talk about Mark Jackson, who is the dullest broadcaster on the planet Earth. I prefer to turn the sound down and watch the game without their silly banter.

Fireworld
06-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Nope, not to me, love his work on TV.

RipVW
06-16-2010, 01:58 AM
What makes him bitter? The fact that he hasn't slept since 1983 and his face looks like it's melting?

I love JVG, if I could have him commentate my life I would. But sadly he is busy with these Finals and he calls things as they are. Fisher flops, Artest Flops, Davis Flops, Pierce is a princess, and some of these commentators need correction which he is happy to say to them.

No he doesnt. He editorializes big time, which means he's raving mad with personal bias.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-16-2010, 02:03 AM
No he doesnt. He editorializes big time, which means he's raving mad with personal bias.

I'm assuming you love the fact that refs take over the game. Maybe you're a ref?

Because JVG hates it when fouls are called. The guy wants 0 fouls to be called in the game and if you watched the teams he coached, his teams were always very physical. I'll admit the fact that he thinks nothings a foul can be crazy at times but its better than fouls being called every 30 seconds.

Oh and the people who hate JVG probably don't like watching defense.

kblo247
06-16-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm assuming you love the fact that refs take over the game. Maybe you're a ref?

Because JVG hates it when fouls are called. The guy wants 0 fouls to be called in the game and if you watched the teams he coached, his teams were always very physical. I'll admit the fact that he thinks nothings a foul can be crazy at times but its better than fouls being called every 30 seconds.

Oh and the people who hate JVG probably don't like watching defense.

This.

I honestly believe he and Hubie Brown are by far the best ESPN has to offer.

jetsfan89
06-16-2010, 02:48 AM
I love the Mike Breen, JVG, and Mark Jackson trio. just my opinion. i think JVG's candor is somewhat refreshing and i was a huge fan of Mark Jackson when he was the nets color guy.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Van Gundy is definitely bitter. It is his shtick. Very Larry David-esque.

robdizzle3
06-16-2010, 03:44 AM
I actually like JVG and Jackson as a duo. Breen, JVG and Jackson get my ok. I just love that "Kobe puts a shot....... BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!"

RipVW
06-16-2010, 03:49 AM
I love the Mike Breen, JVG, and Mark Jackson trio. just my opinion. i think JVG's candor is somewhat refreshing and i was a huge fan of Mark Jackson when he was the nets color guy.

Yeah, why wouldnt a Knicks fan like them. Its all Knicks all the time.

OA SLAY
06-16-2010, 06:03 AM
yes he does, and i love it

Daze9900
06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Jeff tells it as it is. I don't have a problem with him pointing out bad calls at the end of the games. Yes every play does count but you don't want refs deciding the outcome of games. He also calls out bad basketball with the flopping and KG countless times not grabbing rebounds and just tipping them.

ewing
06-16-2010, 08:30 AM
He seems very jaded by the NBA. Every comment is negative, unless he's trying to make a lame joke or talk about Mark Jackson, who is the dullest broadcaster on the planet Earth. I prefer to turn the sound down and watch the game without their silly banter.

Sounds like watching Golden State has turned you bitter

joe j.09
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Great coach, like when he does games....will be coaching again in a year or two so why start this thread

projectk7
06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I think he's one of the best commentators. He's a personal favourite and tells the game how it is.

You also have to realize he's one of the smartest commentators that any network has. Take last night's game for example. On Rondo's free throw, Artest was closest to the net for the rebound with Gasol lined up 3rd furthest from the basket matched up to box out Rondo. Right away JVG was like "I don't like what the Lakers have set up here. Artest is at the bottom and Gasol is up top". Can you guess what happens? The Celtics get the offensive rebound over Artest. If I can recall, it was Glen Davis who got it.

Another famous call was when the Lakers put Kobe in for an offensive rebound when the Lakers were at the free throw line. I can't remember right now which game it was but it was late in the game and it was a rookie's task of boxing out Kobe and right away JVG goes "this is a bad call putting so and so there to box out Kobe. Kobe is incredibly creative and experienced when grabbing rebounds", I would put in a veteran to box him out. What happens? Kobe does a spin move on the big man and grabs the offensive rebound which leads to a score.

He's also one of the most sarcastic and funniest guys out there. Has anyone heard his clip about when he talks about going to the barber? Please look it up on youtube.. Hilarious!

Also last night when they played that clip of Kobe passing to Shaq against the Pacers (which fellow commentator Marc Jackson played for) in the finals. First comment from Jeff Van Gundy is.. "DID YOU SEE MARC JACKSON ON THAT PLAY? Look at him baby up and get the hell out of Shaq's way!! Man up on your defensive assignment on the fast break!"

JVG is a legend and the rest of the league should start giving him the credit he's due. He should really coach the Raptors cause I think he's one of the smartest basketball minds out there.

hugepatsfan
06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
I think he's one of the best commentators. He's a personal favourite and tells the game how it is.

You also have to realize he's one of the smartest commentators that any network has. Take last night's game for example. On Rondo's free throw, Artest was closest to the net for the rebound with Gasol lined up 3rd furthest from the basket matched up to box out Rondo. Right away JVG was like "I don't like what the Lakers have set up here. Artest is at the bottom and Gasol is up top". Can you guess what happens? The Celtics get the offensive rebound over Artest. If I can recall, it was Glen Davis who got it.

Another famous call was when the Lakers put Kobe in for an offensive rebound when the Lakers were at the free throw line. I can't remember right now which game it was but it was late in the game and it was a rookie's task of boxing out Kobe and right away JVG goes "this is a bad call putting so and so there to box out Kobe. Kobe is incredibly creative and experienced when grabbing rebounds", I would put in a veteran to box him out. What happens? Kobe does a spin move on the big man and grabs the offensive rebound which leads to a score.

He's also one of the most sarcastic and funniest guys out there. Has anyone heard his clip about when he talks about going to the barber? Please look it up on youtube.. Hilarious!

Also last night when they played that clip of Kobe passing to Shaq against the Pacers (which fellow commentator Marc Jackson played for) in the finals. First comment from Jeff Van Gundy is.. "DID YOU SEE MARC JACKSON ON THAT PLAY? Look at him baby up and get the hell out of Shaq's way!! Man up on your defensive assignment on the fast break!"

JVG is a legend and the rest of the league should start giving him the credit he's due. He should really coach the Raptors cause I think he's one of the smartest basketball minds out there.

Awesome post.

BK-TY
06-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I like Jeff Van Gundy... Jeff, come back home. The New York Knicks haven't been the same without you.

Amen brother!! :clap:

HiphopRelated
06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
No, he's the best commentator

Chronz
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
hand down man down really brings the team down, but what would JVG be bitter about?

Doug Collins cant even get simple stats right.

Double_R
06-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I read this title and thought wow... my friends and I always talk about he bitter he seems when doing the games.

And to those whom have asked what does he have to be bitter about...

On May 12, 2009, on ESPN writer Bill Simmons' podcast, Van Gundy expressed his desire to eventually return to coaching, stating he would consider being an assistant coach.

well he's out of the league, he hasn't been overly pursued since getting fired, he could be bitter about getting fired for not being able to get out of the 1st round with a healthy Tmac and Yao in 04-05, or any other year since 99-00 with the Knicks, then Adelman got out of the 1st round the next year without Yao and Tmac. He is extremely jealous of his brother Stan, which is very evident when he does Magic games, Stan has become a better coach than him, Stan is more relevant. He was punched by Marcus Camby and has held on for dear life to Mourning's leg. He was fined $100,000 by the NBA for accusing referees of targeting Houston Rockets center Yao Ming. Van Gundy blamed Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban for causing the referees' alleged bias.

Chronz
06-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I read this title and thought wow... my friends and I always talk about he bitter he seems when doing the games.

And to those whom have asked what does he have to be bitter about...

On May 12, 2009, on ESPN writer Bill Simmons' podcast, Van Gundy expressed his desire to eventually return to coaching, stating he would consider being an assistant coach.

well he's out of the league, he hasn't been overly pursued since getting fired, he could be bitter about getting fired for not being able to get out of the 1st round with a healthy Tmac and Yao in 04-05, or any other year since 99-00 with the Knicks, then Adelman got out of the 1st round the next year without Yao and Tmac. He is extremely jealous of his brother Stan, which is very evident when he does Magic games, Stan has become a better coach than him, Stan is more relevant. He was punched by Marcus Camby and has held on for dear life to Mourning's leg. He was fined $100,000 by the NBA for accusing referees of targeting Houston Rockets center Yao Ming. Van Gundy blamed Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban for causing the referees' alleged bias.

Im pretty sure the Nets pursued him

Double_R
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Im pretty sure the Nets pursued him

Maybe, but like I said he hasn't been overly pursued. One team in like what 3 years and the worst team in the NBA at that.

Chronz
06-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I think hes waiting for the right gig, its not like there are a ton of those out there. But they eventually open up, thats the way coaching works man, I highly doubt hes jelous of his bro

smith&wesson
06-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I dont think soo, i just think he is out spoken.

Tragedy
06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I feel the same way. Guy is a complete moron and I can't stand listening to him or Jackson on a daily basis. Just a bunch of garbage coming out of both of their mouths.

kblo247
06-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I think hes waiting for the right gig, its not like there are a ton of those out there. But they eventually open up, thats the way coaching works man, I highly doubt hes jelous of his bro

The gig I see him taking is with LA if Phil leaves after this year. Most think it is Scott, but I happen to think JVG would be the first choice.

I am still wondering why the Cavs and Hawks didn't make a hard push for him.

GSW Hoops
06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Sounds like watching Golden State has turned you bitter

Watching Golden State has turned me bitter toward Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy? Curious link you've made there. :rolleyes:

IversonIsKrazy
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
I love JVG, that crew is the BEST announcers we have, Marc, Albert, and JVG.

SAY QUEENSBRIDGE NOW RON!!!!!!!!!

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Well, I've read all the posts, and was most impressed with the one above. JVG is smart, and all you JVG fans got me second guessing myself. I'm of two minds on the matter. I do think his sarcasm and bitterness and bluntness can be entertaining, he is like the House or Simon Cowell of NBA commentating at times, but I think I need him in small doses or I get annoyed.

Though there are easily far worse commentatories... I love when I'm watching court cuts and I'm hearing the local commentatories sound off like the biggest homers on the planet, it almost gets me into hysterics.

JFresh_#8Nets
06-17-2010, 01:52 AM
i agree 2. ****** hate JVG..

KB24PG16
06-17-2010, 02:01 AM
they should replace mike breen with marv or someone he gets so annoying all he says is puts in. what a play by (insert name here)

Cromedome
06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Lets hope Ron Artest doesn't flop again tonight. We don't need any more floppers in basketball and if I wanted to watch people flop...i'd be watching the BORING world cup where people are happy with scores like 0 - 0 , 1 - 1 , 1 - 0. How exciting.

Aapox
06-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Theyre both bitter. Why? Cuz Bulls > Knicks :D

Seriously, though, JVG is pretty annoying, and Mark Jackson is even worse. They always say stupid crap and act like they know everything (especially Mark).

Hubie Brown is the best commentator, imo

soonabooma
06-18-2010, 01:08 AM
He's just a guy who really loves the game of basketball. Commenting on every single little detail/aspect of every single game is in his blood. And he tells the truth, even if it upsets some people. He and Jackson work really well together, and Breen is solid as the lead play-by-play man. They're a good team.

rhino17
06-18-2010, 01:15 AM
JVG is the best commentator in sports and an awesome guy in person