PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr steps down as Suns GM

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Suns GM Steve Kerr will not return as president and GM of the Suns next season. He will likely return to a job as a TV analyst.

The Suns went 52-28 this season and reached the Western Conference finals, but team owner Robert Sarver "wouldn't say it's a big surprise ... it boiled down to a number of things, including lifestyle and the opportunity. I was hoping to have him back." Kerr is only 44 years old, so he may very well return to an NBA front office someday.

Source: Arizona Republic

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/06/15/20100615steve-kerr-quits-phoenix-suns-general-manager.html#ixzz0qxCVc2fp

Giaps
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
link?

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 04:11 PM
link?

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/06/15/20100615steve-kerr-quits-phoenix-suns-general-manager.html#ixzz0qxCVc2fp

and fixed in post

beasted86
06-15-2010, 04:11 PM
So how does this affect the Stoudemire negotiations?

I've heard Sarver is a frugal owner and doesn't want to pay Stoudemire long term. I read they only offered a 3yr extension at less than the max.

RocketsRule
06-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Here's the link: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/15/20100615steve-kerr-quits-phoenix-suns-general-manager.html

This surprises me a lot, he's coming off his most successful season as a GM and now he quits? Oh well, wish him all the best.

It will be interesting to see who they will replace him with as well. I'm not to aware of the GM options out there so we'll have to see.

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Here's the link: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/15/20100615steve-kerr-quits-phoenix-suns-general-manager.html

This surprises me a lot, he's coming off his most successful season as a GM and now he quits? Oh well, wish him all the best.

It will be interesting to see who they will replace him with as well. I'm not to aware of the GM options out there so we'll have to see.

Yea this surprised me as well when I first read it.

JPHX
06-15-2010, 04:16 PM
This is not good for Amare's contract situation. Sarver would have to take control of negotiations.

xabial
06-15-2010, 04:17 PM
If this happened 1-2 years earlier suns fans wud be happier

netsgiantsyanks
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
i can see stat leaving knowing that sarver is a greedy *** owner

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
This is not good for Amare's contract situation. Sarver would have to take control of negotiations.

I agree, i was thinking the same thing.

Giaps
06-15-2010, 04:21 PM
What a quitter...

World Wide Wes
06-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I am a big fan of Steve. Too bad. I can't see how this helps the Amare situation at all either. I will keep my ear to the ground on this.

still1ballin
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Wow. Didn't see that coming

oregonbronco
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
He will be in portland by the end of the month

wileyisTOFU
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
He was one of my favorite announcers, glad to hear he'll be back on tv. and the suns arent getting any better after the last season, good time to bounce.

kblo247
06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah, that mean that he go back to working for TNT in Doug's place and hopefully Reggie's :)

Hellcrooner
06-15-2010, 04:31 PM
sepuku it seems

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, that mean that he go back to working for TNT in Doug's place and hopefully Reggie's :)

lol

Chicagofaithful
06-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Man... Good Luck to Steve... hes a nice part of the NBA... hope Paxson and Gar Foreman get fired and Kerr takes their places...

marlinsfan24
06-15-2010, 04:33 PM
My guess is this leads Amare to leave Phoenix!

iggypop123
06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
hopefully this means mark jackson gets fired from espn

Kakaroach
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow didn't see that coming after the success the Suns had this year.

beasted86
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Momma, there goes that man!

But seriously, Avery just left ESPN. They won't need to fire anyone to open up a spot for Kerr.

td0tsfinest
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM
lol. Damn, that was quick tenure. I didn't like him anyway as GM.

OA SLAY
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
he prolly didnt want to take the rap for not being able to resign Amare and/or not getting any value in return for him.

joe j.09
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
guy got out because he knew that the team was going down hill, quick and fast nash is almost 40 and there prob. going to lose stoudimire....this team wont get back to where they were this year for a very long time so he figured let me leave now before this ship really starts to sink...kinda like what van gundy did with the knicks back in the day....(got out just in time)

Fireworld
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Stat is gone now.

kozelkid
06-15-2010, 05:07 PM
On the bright side he will be back on booth. He and Marv was always a great duo.

tdunk21
06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
wow didnt see this coming after the success the suns had in beating the spurs 4-0 which they have waited to do for so long....bad move though

Big Quett
06-15-2010, 05:13 PM

GOD i hope your right but with Doug leaving that probably means Reggie stays....unfortunately

But i dont see how much more they wanted Steve to do. I think he got the most out of that roster. They went as far as they could go. I mean if they did luck up and get in the finals it would have already been over and Boston would have swept.

cmellofan15
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
probably had something to do with the Amare situation.

leftymo
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Very strange indeed.

Kerr definitely did a great job acquiring a lot of the supporting cast to make a run to the conference finals.

He couldn't have possibly quit b/c the tv analyst job is more lucrative b/c it isn't, so it had to come down with a difference in philosophy.

My best guess is that Phx no longer wishes to contend, and Kerr isn't cool with that. Dismantling a winning team for a cheaper losing one isn't something some people want on their resume.

Why else would he leave after a successful season?

iggypop123
06-15-2010, 05:34 PM
yahoo sports says they asked him to take a paycut.

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Steve Kerr was working in a tough situation. The team owner was trying to cut costs, moving contracts and sending high picks with them, instead of building on a great core. Had he been willing to pay the money, he could have kept Joe Johnson, they would have had Kurt Thomas and Grant Hill with Marion and Amare in systems where they played well as well as Nash and a couple of first round draft picks that they gave away to move Kurt Thomas's contract.

So given that his owner had him doing a fire sale the last couple seasons, the fact he got 50+ wins out of this team and all the way to the WCF, this guy should be getting a huge raise, but from what the article I read said, it sounded like "negotiations staled" meaning the owner didn't want to pay to keep Kerr around.

I feel bad for Suns fans because this team could be SO much better than it is and has been over the last couple of years.

boriquaabe
06-15-2010, 05:48 PM

In our dreams....

so Kerr chases D'antoni out of Phoenix because he wants the team to play a more traditional style of Basketball. He signs Shaq and Hires Porter and the team flounders. Axes Porter let's Shaq walk and promotes/hires Gentry who reinstalls D'antoni's run and gun offense and the team goes to WCF. Kerr was running in circles in Phoenix and should take a little bit of a breather.

NYKstateOFmind
06-15-2010, 06:10 PM
See ya steve always remember your great shots for the bulls

ko8e24
06-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh ok, here's the thread, my bad.

Yea, shocking news, this almost means that Amare will not be back with the Suns, cuz Sarver is prolly not keen on paying him max, and I think Kerr was.

I guess Suns fans can say bye-bye to Amare!

Kakaroach
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
lol. Damn, that was quick tenure. I didn't like him anyway as GM. Yeah he made bad moves that somehow worked out in the end, it'll be awesome to have him back in the booth though. Just like 5 years ago when I used to play NBA Live.

AI4MVP
06-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh ok, here's the thread, my bad.

Yea, shocking news, this almost means that Amare will not be back with the Suns, cuz Sarver is prolly not keen on paying him max, and I think Kerr was.

I guess Suns fans can say bye-bye to Amare!

good riddens. im tired of the inconsistent, 6 rpg, try ever once in a while joke of a "max player"

ldc62
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
not a big fan of steve... but i thought he did well this season.

PrettyBoyJ
06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
well now we know Amare wont be staying in PHX now..

JPHX
06-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Where do i submit my resume?

SLY WILLIAMS
06-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Steve Kerr (like his friend Danny Ferry) is a class act in my opinion. I think Steve will do well wherever he ends up.

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 07:30 PM
This is probably why Barkley is advocating his position as a potential GM again. He probably would love to be the GM of his former squad.

3RDASYSTEM
06-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Maybe Charles Barkley can get his GM job he's been talking about lately...yea i kno its a longshot but he is a HOF and stays around PHX area i think

heyman321
06-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Kerr probably realized the GM thing was too much of a whirlwind on his life and family, that's what I'm guessing.

plus: I don't want Barkley as the PHX GM. He should stay on TNT, thats the only reason the halftime shows are good. Plus, Kerr should go back to TNT, then maybe the color commentating could be good besides Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan.

PS: I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Mark Jackson. He has the worst catch phrases. "Momma, there goes that man again." WTF?! "HAND DOWN, MAN DOWN" Worst commentator ever. JVG should go to TNT.

Duncan = Donkey
06-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Bit of a suprise. Made some bad moves at the time which ended up being really good moves. Good luck to him.

Vinny642
06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Im in shock

king4day
06-15-2010, 11:25 PM
If it wasn't already posted, there were two reasons:

1. Sarver wanted Kerr to take a pay cut
2. Kerr was worried Sarver wasn't going to spend to make the team better.

This likely means Amar'e goes since he now knows Sarver has no interest in putting money into this team.

boolish
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
the gm of PHX is not going to be a great job...Steve is smart. No Amare. And Nash coming down to his final couple years or so....

JNA17
06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
PHOENIX -- Steve Kerr won't return as general manager of the Phoenix Suns despite building a team that made a surprising run to the NBA's Western Conference finals.

Kerr said at a news conference Tuesday that the decision was a personal one. He insisted that reports of a contract disagreement with owner Robert Sarver were untrue.

"This has nothing to do with money or contracts or anything like that," he said. "This is a professional and a personal decision that I'm very, very comfortable with. My family's excited about it, too."

announcement of his departure came just two and a half weeks after he expressed excitement about his future with the Suns and confidence that he and Sarver would come to an agreement on a new contract.

"It's always important to take a little downtime after a season ends to let the emotion kind of simmer and make a clear-headed decision," Kerr said.

He said "a couple of opportunities" to get back into broadcasting have surfaced in the past few weeks.

Kerr was a TNT color commentator for NBA telecasts for four years before Sarver hired him three years ago. He said in an interview with The Associated Press a month ago that he sometimes longed for the simpler days behind the microphone.

Kerr, who commutes to Phoenix from his home in San Diego, said he would stay on the job until his contract expires at the end of June. The NBA draft is June 24.

He said he wouldn't leave if the organization wasn't in good shape.

"I wouldn't have left a year ago, where we were," he said. "But given where we are right now with a really good young base of talent, a great coaching staff, a lot of stability, a lot to be excited about in the future, I'm very comfortable making this move."

One of the hardest things, Kerr said, is leaving coach Alvin Gentry.

"There are a lot of relationships that are very important," he said. "That's a big one. ... Given where we were when he took over, I feel like I owe everything to him, the job he did to resurrect this team. He's the guy who returned this team to our rightful place."

Sarver didn't attend the news conference. Rick Welts, Suns president and chief executive officer, said the owner had "a prior commitment."

The owner issued a statement thanking Kerr "for all the contributions he has made to our club during his tenure and for helping to lay the foundation for our current and future success."

The search for Kerr's successor will include people inside and outside the organization, Welts said. In the meantime, Welts said, Gentry will take a bigger role in personnel matters.

Kerr was extremely well-liked throughout the Suns organization, and there was a lot of sadness around US Airways Center on Tuesday.

"There can't be anybody more respected or better-liked anywhere in the NBA than Steve Kerr," Welts said.

Kerr tried to explain why people should believe that he is leaving on his own accord.

"This is a very taxing job," he said. "My kids are 17, 15 and 12. They're only under my roof a few more years, and I haven't seen a lot of them the last few years, and that's a very important factor to me. My family's always more important than my job, and this is a big reason for this decision."

Yet Kerr said he would love to get back into a front-office job sometime in the future.

"Yeah, absolutely," he said. "I enjoy this. It's not always easy, but it's eventful and it's very challenging and I love the competition."

Kerr starred at the University of Arizona and played in the NBA for 15 years. Known for his precise long-range shooting, he was on five teams that won the championship.

His departure from the Suns comes as the team negotiates with All-Star Amare Stoudemire, who can opt out of the last year of his contract on July 1. Stoudemire has said that agent Happy Walters has developed a close relationship with Kerr.

Kerr met Sarver through mutual friend Lute Olson, the Hall of Fame former coach at Arizona. Kerr helped Sarver buy the Suns from Jerry Colangelo, then was hired to run the team despite no front-office experience.

Kerr learned on the job.

Some moves worked out, such as the trade of Boris Diaw and Raja Bell to Charlotte for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley, and the 2009 drafting of Robin Lopez and Goran Dragic.

Some didn't, such as the expensive experiment with Shaquille O'Neal and hiring of Terry Porter as coach.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni left after the 2008 season, taking the same job with the New York Knicks after what were described as philosophical differences. Kerr said he simply wanted D'Antoni to emphasize a little defense and use more, preferably younger, players.

Last season's team was predicted to barely make the playoffs at best. Instead, the Suns went 54-28 and were the No. 3 seed in the West. Phoenix beat Portland in six games in the first round, then swept longtime nemesis San Antonio in four before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 in the Western Conference finals.

"This is a huge roller-coaster ride, this job, the emotional swings," Kerr said. "There's nothing like when you're up on top of the mountain, and there's nothing worse than being on the bottom. The last two years, I feel like I've much seen it all. Last year was miserable; this year was euphoric."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5289933

Wade_County
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Welcome to yesterday.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495518

Wade_County
06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Makes me wonder if Nash is the kinda player to ask for a trade. If they dont resign amare and then dont sign anyone else, there not going to be as good as this year, and Nash must know hes only got a couple years left.

AllTimeBest
06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Amare to Miami. Book it now. Quote me. Amare and D-Wade in Miami

jimm120
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
He was one of my favorite announcers, glad to hear he'll be back on tv. and the suns arent getting any better after the last season, good time to bounce.

I want him back on Yahoo Sports

DMasta718
06-16-2010, 02:26 PM

I see this happening as well.

sunnydayin'zona
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Makes me wonder if Nash is the kinda player to ask for a trade. If they dont resign amare and then dont sign anyone else, there not going to be as good as this year, and Nash must know hes only got a couple years left.

its been said nash will probably stay around into his early 40's if he isn't injured, like john stockton type of career. which means he could potentially play out his current contract, then sign another one. plus, he is the suns, he's absolutely not the kind of guy who would request a trade. same for grant hill. and other than that the rest of the suns are under 28.

kblo247
06-16-2010, 03:25 PM

You do not think getting Boozer and Johnson in place of Amare would be better?

dre1990
06-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Even in the midst of this tense and unpredictable NBA Finals between the Lakers and Celtics I found myself yearning for the wide-open style and high scores of the Lakers-Suns Western Conference finals. Now I'm simply mourning the Suns.

The fun days are over, the feel-good is finished. The first indication is the departure of easygoing general manager Steve Kerr, and the sure sign will come when Amare Stoudemire leaves as a free agent.

The Suns' high-scoring offense couldn't beat the bigger and better teams in the Western Conference and now it can't beat the accounting books, which remain the most formidable foe in the NBA. Kerr and Suns owner Robert Sarver clashed this month and you can see the result.

"Kerr wanted a little raise, Sarver wanted him to take a pay cut," one source said. "There's no other way to spin it."

Well, a second source indicated it wasn't as simple as a money grab by Kerr. He wanted more money for the coaching staff, video crew, front-office secretaries -- all the people who helped produce this unexpected trip to the conference finals that yielded more than $10 million in extra revenue from eight home playoff games. Except when Kerr went to bat with Sarver, "The guy just bludgeoned Steve," the second source said.

So Kerr's out. Stoudemire's next.

"Amare's done," according to the source. "He's gone."

That will be the final breakdown of the team that won 62 games in 2004-05 while ushering in a new era of scoreboard-straining ball. It started when Shawn Marion was the featured piece in a trade for Shaquille O'Neal in 2008 and continued when Mike D'Antoni left after a first-round loss to the Spurs in the playoffs that season.

"They're trying to lay the Shaq trade on Steve," the source said. "He had about 10 percent to do with that." The source said Sarver and D'Antoni were primarily responsible.

And Kerr did find someone willing to take O'Neal's contract off Phoenix's hands last year when the Suns traded him to Cleveland for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic, both of whom were bought out for a net savings of $4.5 million for Phoenix.

Kerr did make the mistake of bringing in coach Terry Porter in an attempt to make the Suns more defensive-minded after D'Antoni was gone. That lasted only half a season before Porter was fired and Alvin Gentry took over as head coach. Gentry did well enough to be kept on full-time -- at one of the lowest annual salaries in the league ($1.7 million). One thing working against Kerr was the fact the Suns were still obligated to pay Porter $2.5 million per year for this season and next. Sarver wasn't happy about that (I can only imagine how it makes Gentry feel to make less than a guy doing nothing for the team).

But Kerr got it right more than he got it wrong. Channing Frye was a free-agent signee who flourished and led the team in 3-point shots. He picked up starter Jason Richardson and do-everything backup Jared Dudley from the Bobcats in a trade for the enigmatic Boris Diaw.

The Shaq trade was the first time I shed tears for the Suns, but that was primarily from a stylistic standpoint. It was still possible for them to win, but where was the fun in doing so with a center-oriented approach the way every other team had tried it since the primordial days of the NBA? If they're on the verge of losing Stoudemire, the team's top scorer and rebounder (23 and 9), then they won't be back in the playoffs.

The Suns enjoyed the best chemistry in the NBA. You didn't read stories about the general manager and the coach getting into fights as they did in Chicago. In fact, Kerr and Gentry were on good enough terms that Gentry joked he'd hit Kerr back if he tried to go John Paxson on him. Not sure if that level of trust can be found with a new general manager, someone who didn't hire the coach. Nor can there be much faith that hard work will be rewarded if Kerr lost out on his efforts to boost his staff's pay.

The way things went down this week "took all the joy out of everything that happened this year," the second source said.

And it gave us one fewer reason to look forward to next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=kerrsuns-100616

robdizzle3
06-17-2010, 04:02 AM
WOW!!! Suns owner is being greedy right now. Kerr had his hand in what happened this year for the suns and he's shown the door? Well, it seems as if Kerr will be rejoining TNT once again.

JPHX
06-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Whole FO is being dismantled in Phoenix. Things are getting pretty bad. I hope that Robert Sarver sells the team. He already pocketed 10mil in revenue. Please, some other russian billionaire, buy the Suns!