PDA

View Full Version : Players want money more then rings

jrm2054
06-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I dont understand these guys like Lebron and Wade bosh all the free agents big names. If they really want a ring why not sign for the min on a year deal with the best team like the lakers celtics magic and then the next year sign a max deal since the team will have the bird rights the money aint a problem they make more then enough that one year wont break them if they wanted rings instead of money they would sacrifice a few million for one year and go to a good team and make them amazing If i was Lebron i would team up with Dwight in Orlando.

TheGsw
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Its probably because their all still young.

CityofTreez
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Adam Morrison?

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I dont understand these guys like Lebron and Wade bosh all the free agents big names. If they really want a ring why not sign for the min on a year deal with the best team like the lakers celtics magic and then the next year sign a max deal since the team will have the bird rights the money aint a problem they make more then enough that one year wont break them if they wanted rings instead of money they would sacrifice a few million for one year and go to a good team and make them amazing If i was Lebron i would team up with Dwight in Orlando.

I believe you have to be with a team for 3 years before bird rights kick in.......and because they will make more now then if they wait to next year due to the restructure of the CBA.

And while they "claim" they want to win, no one in there right mind would pass up on 30+ million.

iggypop123
06-15-2010, 02:22 PM
they dont want to win more than make money. the only person i ever saw sacrafice money for winning was malone. he went from making 20 million to 800k

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 02:24 PM
they dont want to win more than make money. the only person i ever saw sacrafice money for winning was malone. he went from making 20 million to 800k

and that didnt work out to good.

oak2455
06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
and that didnt work out to too good.
Im pretty sure he was just making a point, btw he did win a Ring:)

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Care to explain when this was?

Karl Malone made the NBA finals twice with the Utah Jazz, in the 1996-97 season and the 1997-98 season. In both cases, the Jazz lost in the finals to the Chicago Bulls, 4 games to 2. Also lost 4-1 to the pistons in 2004 as a member of the lakers.

thapharcyd
06-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Most NBA players who make 15-20 some million a year have 15-20 some million a year type bills. That would be like someone making 70k a year accepting a job for 10k. Not gonna happen. I know we all can't imagine that kind of money but there are a lot of NBA players who make 10 mil+ who have seriously horrible debt ratios. All has to do with managing money.

ballpd05
06-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Karl Malone retired after the Lakers lost to the Pistons, so unless he signed with someone else after I'm pretty sure he didn't either.

BTW its all about the money. Not only does the Max deal mostly makes it hard to get signed by quality teams, but it also hampers the ability of a team to put other talent around them if they arent satisfied with the team they choose.

macc
06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Its not hard to understand really. They need to make the money while they're still young. You look at an NBA career and your superstars/all stars can go maybe 11-16 years. The average length of an NBA career is anywhere from 3.7-5 years. Obviously you have some players who play double that but still. Bottom line is these players have to make money while they can.

That's why alot of these athletes go broke after making millions. You have an allstar making 8-15 million per year, then they retire andnow they're making no money, yet spending the same amount. Yes thats poor money management but another thing you have to realize is alot of these guys are 18-21 when they get into the league. Alot of them don't know how to manage their money, or are getting ripped off by their agents.

Going back to the comment of "why doesn't a Lebron sign for the min one year and play with a great team to win a title." Well that prob wouldn't be bad but you never know what can happen in one year. It doesn't matter how good a player is, if he gets injured, that can ruin somone's career. Look at T-Mac, a few years ago there was no question he was a max player, now he'll be lucky to get a teams MLE. Look at Yao Ming. If players sign a one year deal then that doesn't give them any future financial support. So they sign the big contracts while they can.

abe_froman
06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
your judged on how you win a ring,as the man or as supporting cast

...besides they can get both so why choose?

awmathewsjr
06-15-2010, 02:37 PM

yeah but he didn't do that when he was Lebron, D.Wade or Bosh's age. Matter of fact he was 40 and he retired the next season.

sep11ie
06-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Fail

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
your judged on how you win a ring,as the man or as supporting cast

...besides they can get both so why choose?

You know the funny thing about this is that its true while your young. Think about it. All the older players who want to win a ring always sign for MLE or something when there in the mid 30s. You would think that some of these younger players would realize that and learn from it.

just saying......

jrm2054
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
i no they need money while they r young but like lebron he will make money regardless from nike and so on so why not take a pay cut for rings the money wont be a problem for him the others you could say that but not him and i was unaware that the bird rights took 3 years to kick in

junion
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM
i don't know if you mean "players want money more, then rings" or "players want money more than rings".

anyway, it's because there's more to it than just money and rings. it's about ego. as a player, you want to know how much you're worth, and in this game, money is a god indication of how important you are to a team - it's also a straight-forward way to know how much you're worth.

also pride comes into play in this way: if you take less money to join a team that's already stacked with talent, i'd assume that a player would feel less like it's HIS championship, and more of him riding along with a team that was on their way to a championship. when a player "just wants to win a championship" like lebron and wade, they mean that THEY want to win it - and i respect that. they don't want to win it by riding on someone else's team. they want to win the race DRIVINg, and not riding in the back.

ilovemyangel
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
i'm pretty sure not alot of us here in PSD can walk away from those kind of money if we were in their shoes...

Wade_County
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
i no they need money while they r young but like lebron he will make money regardless from nike and so on so why not take a pay cut for rings the money wont be a problem for him the others you could say that but not him and i was unaware that the bird rights took 3 years to kick in

One word "ego".

sean17c
06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I would too. you ever heard of life after basketball?

they are entertainers for us, but they still are normal people with lives. i would try to get all of the money i could from those rich old people

thephoenixson28
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
See I don't care about how much a player makes, what pisses me off people complain about getting a certain amount of money. Look at all those players in the Nfl complaining about there contracts. If anything they should be playing doctors that much money.

oak2455
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Care to explain when this was?

Karl Malone made the NBA finals twice with the Utah Jazz, in the 1996-97 season and the 1997-98 season. In both cases, the Jazz lost in the finals to the Chicago Bulls, 4 games to 2. Also lost 4-1 to the pistons in 2004 as a member of the lakers.

I thought he was referring too Moses Malone:p

abe_froman
06-15-2010, 02:49 PM
You know the funny thing about this is that its true while your young. Think about it. All the older players who want to win a ring always sign for MLE or something when there in the mid 30s. You would think that some of these younger players would realize that and learn from it.

just saying......

when your young,in your prime you can do more/better than older.you can still live the dream that you'll lead a championship team

the older folks do that because they failed at that part; and winning a ring is better than not.so its desperation from looking at the clock tick away that motivates them to swallow their pride and team up for cheap

Dieselpi
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
why would two of the best players in the world take a minimum in their prime to win a ring on another team? when they could easily take more money to team up on another team. Players almost never leave money on the table.

What happens if they take a minimum and suffer a career ending injury?

JIDsanity
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Its all about the money. You want to have success, but you gotta get paid.

mser58
06-15-2010, 02:59 PM
i love when new posters post rants

macc
06-15-2010, 03:05 PM

As I stated in my first post. You could even take a Lebron, lets say he decides to take less money and play with the Lakers one year so he can win a title. Theres always that chance he could get seriously injured. If he did get injured to the point where he would never be the same player, that says good bye to any future max contract he could sign.

Its called financial security. As soft as basketball is these days, people still get injured all the time. You never want to take that chance as a ball player.

bkmikeyy
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
winning a ring with 5 hall of famers playing for 800k is clearly not the same type of accomplishment as winning a ring with 1-2 great players and a supporting cast.

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I often wonder about this to. I've heard some say its a matter of ego, they want to have the highest salary in the league, or the max, like it proves or quantifies that they are as good or better than anybody else in the league. As players get older though, they have their cash and they want rings so guys like Malone and Payton take pay cuts to jump ship. But does Mitch Richmond's ring really mean much considering he got it riding the pine for the Lakers?

One situation that stands out to me is Kevin Garnett. His huge contract really limited what the T-Wolves could do to build around him, that and the bad draft picks and the Joe Smith fiascal, but his salary really limited the pieces they could put around him.

Now I understand that some players don't get endorsement deals like Kobe and LBJ and Wade and Garnett. Ray Allen for example has never been a guy you see Nike and Gatoraide plastering all over the place, Rashad Lewis the same. So these guys have to earn their money somewhere, and if these guys are getting a certain amount then it is only fair that the guys who are better than them make more? Right?

Now in LBJ's situation, he makes more off endorsements than he does from palying basketball. He could afford to take the league minimum and let his team sign a max-contract player, and his willingness to take a pay cut me encourage others to as well and allow the Cavs to build a great roster around James, but at the same time James, as much as anybody, deserves a max contract and has made the Cavs a profitable franchise.

Some times its about repsect, like when Brand signed with Philly, he actually had a higher offer from the Clippers, but they werent offering him all the could, but Philly offered him all the could, and he called it the "Philly max" so because they respected him enough to offer as much as they could. Sometimes its about what players deserve. if Lewis and Arenas are making what they make, then surely LBJ, Wade and Bosh deserve to make as much? No? And sometimes it is about ego. Players want to be the highest paid to have bragging rights.

But its not until the twilight of their careers that most players take a pay cut to win a title. Artest is the only guy in his prime that I can think of who was willing to take a MLE even though he could have gotten more.

Personally, if I were James, Wade, Garnett, Howard or Kobe, I'd be happy with what i got off of endorsements and take a pay cut so my team could get some good players around me, but at the same time that might mean the team pays less for the talent they have and the players would in turn be putting money in the owner's pockets and I dont think that is something they care to do.

Ray_R
06-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Becuase you wouldnt pass up millions either.

beasted86
06-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah, that's right...

Players prefer the money more than winning, because setting their family up and making sure they are all taken care forever is far more important than winning a basketball game.

Sorry if that's a difficult concept for some of the younger fans on this board to wrap their head around. They want to win, but they want the money to be fair also because family is more important than basketball.

albertc86
06-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Most NBA players who make 15-20 some million a year have 15-20 some million a year type bills. That would be like someone making 70k a year accepting a job for 10k. Not gonna happen. I know we all can't imagine that kind of money but there are a lot of NBA players who make 10 mil+ who have seriously horrible debt ratios. All has to do with managing money.

That's their fault. I guarantee if athletes made less money they would be wiser with their funds.

MaHaRaJaH
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
That's their fault. I guarantee if athletes made less money they would be wiser with their funds.

I Severely doubt that.

albertc86
06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
I Severely doubt that.

You think if the yearly maximum was, say, a million dollars, they'd be making it "rain" and being irresponsible with their money? Doubt it.

jrm2054
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM

first off not a rant i was just asking a question to get other opinions and second not a new poster i have been on this site for like 4 years but this is my new account because i had problems with my last one.

PrettyBoyJ
06-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I believe you have to be with a team for 3 years before bird rights kick in.......and because they will make more now then if they wait to next year due to the restructure of the CBA.

And while they "claim" they want to win, no one in there right mind would pass up on 30+ million.

That.. and you cant put a player like Wade or Lebron in LA or Boston.. (mayb Wade in Orlando) but those teams are proven and have player under contract and are well over the cap spaace.. thats why so many teams cleared up cap space to try and sign these guys

USMCLaker
06-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Really, what does it matter how many times someone has posted? I always thought that it was ridiculous when someone comments on new posters, as if experienced posters are so much more intellectual than a new poster. Fail.

RaiderLakersA's
06-15-2010, 07:35 PM
i'm pretty sure not alot of us here in PSD can walk away from those kind of money if we were in their shoes...

You ain't kidding. I would be happy making the veteran minimum riding the pine and high-fiving the starters as they came off the floor for 2-3 seasons. That would set me up for life nicely.

smith&wesson
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM

this makes no sence to me at all. why would lebron or wade or bosh being the elite super stars that they are settle for making the vets minimum ? isnt that somthing you rather do when your washed up and getting old ??

also a ring is the ultimate goal. its not the only goal. you have to keep in mind that this is what these guys do for a living. most of them have families they need to suport. instead of walking around praising themselves of a shiney trophie and a new ring they rather put there kids through school and make sure theyre kids and family are set for life. to me family would be more important then personal acomplishments.

also to leave a max deal on the table and sign to a vets minimum to play for an already great team is kind of taking the easy route. kobe didnt just sign with the lakers to win a ring. he was drafted, he put in his dues. He proved to be a great player and the lakers built a great team around him. and he can walk around and say he earned his rings.

as an elite player i would want to get paid what i deserve and also at the same time i would put pressure on my franchize to build a winning team around me. if they fail to do so season after season then the players can ask for a trade.. Lebron signing a vets minimum deal just to win a ring would be an emberasment. specially if that team were to come up short and not end up winning .. there would still be alot of good teams to beat. theres no garantees that if you sell out you automatically win a ship. . .

CowboysKB24
06-15-2010, 08:17 PM

They shouldn't be able to do that. The league would turn stupid if those guys did that.

CowboysKB24
06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
The players should be paid what they are worth. Taking pay cuts to keep guys is one thing, but to take way less than you are worth to get more guys on your team is stupid. If Amare, Wade, and LeBron were all on the same team next year the NBA would be awful. They would just dominate for the next 8 years.

It would take away from coaching and being a GM. Whatever happened to building a team and finding the right pieces?

VinceCarter
06-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Who gives a *******!! I'm happy those idiots have debt because you have to be completely r******* to be in debt making that salary. Completely unacceptable and pathetic.

Okay sorry had to get that out of me :)

MaHaRaJaH
06-15-2010, 10:39 PM
You think if the yearly maximum was, say, a million dollars, they'd be making it "rain" and being irresponsible with their money? Doubt it.

Money maybe different mentality will still be the same

kswissdaf
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Well dont be mad at the players, use your head which would you want money or a ring

thescore53
06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
what would you rather have 5 mill and a ring or 10 milll no ring ,

thescore53
06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Well dont be mad at the players, use your head which would you want money or a ring

hard choice but remember this is a business it's really about the money,

oak2455
06-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Fail
OK read on Buddy btw... Ben as your sig is that another one of his girls he beat up:confused:

MacFitz92
06-15-2010, 11:12 PM

1. Believe it or not, professional sports is a business.
2. Do you really think that David Stern would ever approve of any move that would make the NBA uncompetetive?
3. Do you think that the players would want to team up together, have less money, have less fame, etc.?
4. Are you seriously asking this question, or are you stupid?
5. Sorry about #4, I just noticed you used then incorrectly in your thread title, speaks for itself I suppose.

boolish
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
it's all about the "rings" to the public, to the media. it's all about the "benjamins" to their homies wives and mistresses....

awmathewsjr
06-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Are any of you guys thinking about injuries. If he takes a pay cut and has a horrible injury during the course of the season, he will lose his big money and his endorsments. Thats why these guys have agents, so that their love for the game won't get in the way of business.

awmathewsjr
06-16-2010, 01:07 PM

just saying......

Older players don't sign those contracts because they want to win so bad. They sign them because they know that they're not getting a big deal anyway, so why not play for a contender.

tjlipford
06-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Karl Malone never won a ring

tjlipford
06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
There is only a small window of opportunity to make the amount of money that they can make so why not get the most money u can get while u can. No matter what anyone says nothing is guaranteed, and its the same for championships. It takes more than just having talent to win rings. All the pieces have to be right from the GM to the coaches down to the players. Talent alone will win u a lot of games, but in the playoffs and playing for a championship it goes beyond that. The factor of heart and determination and the will to win is needed by all players and some players just dont have it.

Put yourself in there shoes, why would u want to take a pay cut at 27 years old and u have the ability to make 127 million dollars. If someone is going to pay me that kind of money Im going to take it.

oak2455
06-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Karl Malone never won a ring

read other pages I meant Moses:)

beasted86
06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
what would you rather have 5 mill and a ring or 10 milll no ring ,

This OPs disparity is much larger. He said veteran minimum vs. max contract.

$1.2M vs. $16.5M

I don't think any player is stupid enough to do that trade off since the ring is not worth $14.3M.