PDA

View Full Version : Fukudome

young_soldier
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a jays fan and I was highly anticipating the debut of Fukudome to the major leagues.

I just want to know what the opinion of Fukudome from cubs fans.

He seems to be having a great year so far.

Rndy
06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Pretty much what I expected great defense, High Walk totals. Although i thought he would hit for a good batting average(which means nothing) but i'm shocked a bit.

Yagyu+
06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
A fine 100th post. I was highly anticipating it.

Chicago657
06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I personally love Fukudome. He's my favorite position player. But for some reason, no matter how well he is doing, Cubs fans call for him to be benched or traded. I understand if you want to unload his contract if we are looking to rebuild, but he is a damn valuable player if you are looking to win, despite his contract.

Mell413
06-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I like him. Although I probably defend him more than I should since those in the media piss on him because he doesn't drive in 100 runs. He does have value. His contract is not the best however.

Buckwheat
06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, he's probably my favorite player. Definitely an asset to any team.

cowboydoc45
06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah, he's probably my favorite player. Definitely an asset to any team.

He is actually kind of an enigma... doesn't quite have the defense to be a CF, but has great defense in RF... doesn't have quite the offense to be a COF, but has a really good offense for a CF... If you have someone who can make up the production offensively, he will save you quite a few runs in RF...

Bambino
06-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Enigma is a good word for him ... he starts every year off pretty well, and then about this time of year can't hit for whatever reason. It's like clockwork. Thru three straight seasons he's done the same swoon I believe, and at the end of the season his numbers will probably be almost exactly the same as they were in each of his first two seasons. Hey, at least he's consistant ;)

All in all I think he's a disappointment given his fairly hefty contract.

BAM

redwhitenblue
06-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Enigma is a good word for him ... he starts every year off pretty well, and then about this time of year can't hit for whatever reason. It's like clockwork. Thru three straight seasons he's done the same swoon I believe, and at the end of the season his numbers will probably be almost exactly the same as they were in each of his first two seasons. Hey, at least he's consistant ;)

BAM
Hmm.

In 2009, he OPS'd over .900 in July AND August. Then, for some unknown reason, he got more playing time in September than any other month (at a time when you would think the organization would give some time to youth). And it was a pretty significant amount more than any other month (about 15 PA's or 4 more games over the course of a month) Really, in 2009 Fukudome only had 2 bad months. June and September.

As big as his 2008 slide was, 2009 was nowhere near that. In fact in 2009 he was BETTER in the 2nd half than the first half statistically.

Oh, and Fukudome's only been in the US for 2 seasons

Seriously people, just look at things before posting.

Captain Obvious
06-15-2010, 12:41 AM

But, but, but, it's more fun to just say what I think it true.

jodydavis
06-16-2010, 12:05 AM

BAM

Well said.

Enigma, overrated, disappointment....all good words to describe Fukodome. Fact is, the Cubs overestimated his ability. He is a solid 4th outfielder, not a $13M a year star the Cubs thought he'd be. Its painful to see someone who takes that much salary away from areas we could really use it. What is scary is throw out the past three Aprils and parts of May and this guy is proably hitting just over .200

Sasuke11
06-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Just thought I would point this out about Fukudome. He has nearly identical numbers his first three years here as he had in his first three in Japan. He didn't hit for over .300 until his 4th year (not that that matters, but his OBP would be near 400 with the way he walks) Is it unreasonable to assume he will hit that stride in his last year as well?

scrubs101
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Hmm.

In 2009, he OPS'd over .900 in July AND August. Then, for some unknown reason, he got more playing time in September than any other month (at a time when you would think the organization would give some time to youth). And it was a pretty significant amount more than any other month (about 15 PA's or 4 more games over the course of a month) Really, in 2009 Fukudome only had 2 bad months. June and September.

As big as his 2008 slide was, 2009 was nowhere near that. In fact in 2009 he was BETTER in the 2nd half than the first half statistically.

Oh, and Fukudome's only been in the US for 2 seasons

That bolded line is hilarious.

I'm going to use that on my boss if I ever get the chance to get fired. Look boss, last year was only my second year here and I only sucked at my job for, like, 33% of the year! The rest of the year- not great, but not too bad! Yeah, my first year I sucked for like 50% of the year but I'm improving! I'm TOTALLY earning my salary and I'm a value and an asset to this company!! Sure, I'm on pace to suck at my job for 60% of this year but don't worry about that! I'll surely get that down to 33% by September don't worry!!

By the way, can I get a raise or a bonus or some ****?

Doogolas
06-16-2010, 12:48 AM

I'm going to use that on my boss if I ever get the chance to get fired. Look boss, last year was only my second year here and I only sucked at my job for, like, 33% of the year! The rest of the year- not great, but not too bad! Yeah, my first year I sucked for like 50% of the year but I'm improving! I'm TOTALLY earning my salary and I'm a value and an asset to this company!! Sure, I'm on pace to suck at my job for 60% of this year but don't worry about that! I'll surely get that down to 33% by September don't worry!!

Here's the thing though, in baseball only sucking 33% of the time leads to a pretty damn good year.

scrubs101
06-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Here's the thing though, in baseball only sucking 33% of the time leads to a pretty damn good year.

yeah? which year was that? The year of the .796 OPS? Awesome!

what about sucking 50 or 60% of the time? Is that a "pretty damn good year" too?? Great!! Then, this guy is doing just swell. Keep and and re-sign him for the same money sounds pretty good right?

Doogolas
06-16-2010, 01:09 AM

what about sucking 50 or 60% of the time? Is that a "pretty damn good year" too?? Great!! Then, this guy is doing just swell. Keep and and re-sign him for the same money sounds pretty good right?

Um... .796OPS out of CF is pretty ****in' good. Actually. Average CF OPS last year was .762. And he had a .360wOBA as opposed to the .337 league average for a CF. That's about 7% better than league average. I dunno about you, but I think that's pretty damn good.

It's not great. But it's still pretty damn good.

Canada's Finest
06-16-2010, 03:41 AM

If OPS was out of 1.000 your post would make sense. Forgive me for posting, I'm drunk an d I don't like your stupid avatar.

croce_99
06-16-2010, 06:28 AM

Comparing MLB players to a "real" job is absolutely insane.
MLB players go through slumps. Even the all stars do. Obviously the GREAT players don't have 2 month slumps, but they certainly all have bad months.

Remember...if you get a hit 3 out of every 10 tries, you are considered great. Good luck pulling that off with your boss :)

scrubs101
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Um... .796OPS out of CF is pretty ****in' good. Actually. Average CF OPS last year was .762. And he had a .360wOBA as opposed to the .337 league average for a CF. That's about 7% better than league average. I dunno about you, but I think that's pretty damn good.

It's not great. But it's still pretty damn good.

7% better than league average is damn good? News to me. What was the average salary of a CF last year?

Bambino
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I hope the Cubs brass isn't as satisfied with Fukudome's performance as some of the fans around here seem to be. If they are we're doomed. Agreed with Jodydavis .... 4th outfielder at best. He's fully into his typical June swoon again .. this time losing playing time to Ty Colvin. Is he at 13 mil? That's one of the worst deals in baseball if true.

BAM

poodski
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM

I didnt know a 796 OPS is all that bad. Its an OPS+ of 104

Not only that but his sOPS+ in CF and in RF last year were 115 and 107 OPS+, He by no means is bad at all.

His contract isn't great, but he has an above average bat at his position, and most likely an above average glove in RF.

Bambino
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
He's not a terrible player, but I think he's produced far less than what the Cubs thought they were going to be getting when they inked him. At his age I don't think he's going to be improving all that much either. The Cubs should move him if they get a taker. 11 homers, 57 rbi's and a .257 average for 13 mil per is a terrible deal. That's about what he averages a season based on 500 official ab's per.

I do think he's a pretty good glove guy, and I do like the fact he'll take a walk. That's the best I can say about him.

BAM

redwhitenblue
06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I hope the Cubs brass isn't as satisfied with Fukudome's performance as some of the fans around here seem to be. If they are we're doomed. Agreed with Jodydavis .... 4th outfielder at best. He's fully into his typical June swoon again .. this time losing playing time to Ty Colvin. Is he at 13 mil? That's one of the worst deals in baseball if true.

BAM
After his June swoon last year, he posted a .900 OPS for two+ months. . .

Str1fe5
06-16-2010, 05:44 PM
I didnt know a 796 OPS is all that bad. Its an OPS+ of 104

Not only that but his sOPS+ in CF and in RF last year were 115 and 107 OPS+, He by no means is bad at all.

His contract isn't great, but he has an above average bat at his position, and most likely an above average glove in RF.

104 OPS+ is about as close to average as it gets. For his career, he has a 99 OPS+. He's had 2+ seasons now, he's 33, so he's not likely to get any better. We can argue back and forth all we want about how Fukudome has done in this month or that, but outside of terrific April numbers, he's been like any normal baseball player - fairly erratic on a month by month basis. The reason being is the sample size for a given month is stupidly low - 100ish PA just leads to a lot of volatility.

Fukudome has an averageish bat for his position, and his defense is probably best classified as a tweener - decent to good on the corners, and a liability in center. If he was 30 and not 33 I'd say he was worth having around, but @ 33 and going on 34 next year, his contract is terrible.

scrubs101
06-16-2010, 07:43 PM
104 OPS+ is about as close to average as it gets. For his career, he has a 99 OPS+. He's had 2+ seasons now, he's 33, so he's not likely to get any better. We can argue back and forth all we want about how Fukudome has done in this month or that, but outside of terrific April numbers, he's been like any normal baseball player - fairly erratic on a month by month basis. The reason being is the sample size for a given month is stupidly low - 100ish PA just leads to a lot of volatility.

Fukudome has an averageish bat for his position, and his defense is probably best classified as a tweener - decent to good on the corners, and a liability in center. If he was 30 and not 33 I'd say he was worth having around, but @ 33 and going on 34 next year, his contract is terrible.

he's a pretty good 4th outfielder is the best way to describe him IMO

1908_Cubs
06-16-2010, 07:56 PM
he's a pretty good 4th outfielder is the best way to describe him IMO

Now see, that's not right. If he has an OPS+ over 100, he puts up a .780-.790 OPS with defense, that's average and more than a 4th OF'er. He is a starting caliber platoon OF'er who plays good corner defense with slightly below average production or a slightly below average defender in center with a slightly above average bat.

Is he worth $12m? No. Is he more than a 4th OF'er? Yes. Does he need to be platooned? Yes.

man man
06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I like him.

Trade Nady instead: he'll be way easier to move with his contract, will open up room in our outfield as well.

windycityD
06-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Soriano's contract/ age going into 2011 and beyond wont exactly be a bed of roses either. I'm glad it looks like he can run again, though. That play at 3b last night would have never happened the last two seasons b/c he would have only barely made it to 2b.

What this team needs more of at the top- OBP & plate patience- Fukudome can provide. He's our best corner OF defender and has the second best arm after AS. I'd put him in the above avg category there. His glaring problems are his inability to hit lefties and the whirling dervish Ks, something that appears to have subsided a bit, for now. His contract is too big to move unless you're taking back a high-priced, middle of the road performing vet player back.

Milnertime
06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Soriano's contract/ age going into 2011 and beyond wont exactly be a bed of roses either. I'm glad it looks like he can run again, though. That play at 3b last night would have never happened the last two seasons b/c he would have only barely made it to 2b.

What this team needs more of at the top- OBP & plate patience- Fukudome can provide. He's our best corner OF defender and has the second best arm after AS. I'd put him in the above avg category there. His glaring problems are his inability to hit lefties and the whirling dervish Ks, something that appears to have subsided a bit, for now. His contract is too big to move unless you're taking back a high-priced, middle of the road performing vet player back.
I think this is what tends to get lost on a lot of people.

Fukudome provides something this team desperately needs, which is someone who will post a decent/good OBP at the top of the order without being a huge liability in other areas. The toolset Fukudome has fits well on this team because there is really nobody else with that set of skills.

windycityD
06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I think this is what tends to get lost on a lot of people.

Fukudome provides something this team desperately needs, which is someone who will post a decent/good OBP at the top of the order without being a huge liability in other areas. The toolset Fukudome has fits well on this team because there is really nobody else with that set of skills.

Despite his jagg off ness, same for Milton Bradley. He was misused and over valued for his power/ production potential. The guy is/ was a #2 hitter.

The only way Fukudome can be dealt imho is if we get a vet starter who fits the so so performing, big contract back. There is one name & "fit" out there this winter (begin the chorus of laughter)...Jason Marquis. He's set to make 7.5 mil in 2011 and Harper certainly wont be ready to take over RF for the Nationals in 2011. Of course, you're talking us eating 3 mil of the rest of KF's deal (owed 13.5 in 2011), which also works well for The Nationals. I'm not saying I want this deal to go down, and of course, you have the no trade protection stuff w/ Koske and JM's post-bone spurr rehab stuff. But, it's the kind of move Hendry would be way capable of making, should he survive as GM here. Brett Myers is another name, but less likely within the division and there is a mutual option for 2011 w/ him.