PDA

View Full Version : Why are there NBA players that don't improve?

Run&Gun
06-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I was looking at players in the past that were bust and I wondered if your 20 years old and you get paid MILLIONS of dollars to just play basketball every day don't you think you would improve after a while.
I mean I know if I practiced playing basketball everyday and got paid to do it I would improve. Is it just because they are lazy or is it because it takes a long time and effort to improve one skill on an NBA level. What do you all think, part of me feels that NBA players should improve every year and we shouldn't have busts in the NBA because that's what they get paid to do; play basketball.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
one word should sum up this thread:Lazyness

thescore53
06-14-2010, 07:20 PM
beasley can answer that question for you

Kakaroach
06-14-2010, 07:27 PM
one word should sum up this thread:Lazyness Unfortunately, this. There are other reasons too, players can't adjust themselves to the speed of the NBA level and when you get older your room for improvement shrinks. But I think most young players do improve season to season. Whether that be small or big depends on the player.

JasonJohnHorn
06-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Well, I think some players are limited. Some things take a certain amount of athleticism. Sometimes the players are discoruaged.

Take Dwight Howard for example. I heard he worked on his jumper all offseason and SVG just doesnt run plays for him like that. When I played center in highschool, my coach saw me practicing three-pointers and he said "work on your post moves and free-throws, dont waste your time with three-pointers, we arent running any plays where the center shoots threes."

Some times you get a guy like Derrick Coleman who have all the talent and size and seem content playing at 20/10 and dont put out the effort of a guy like Karl Malone. Sometimes players just arent as smart as other players. Larry Bird for example was a very smart ball player, where as Dwight Howard doesnt have a very high basketball IQ at this point in his career so he cant move the ball out of the double team as well as Shaq used to, or Hakeem.

Sometimes players are niches players and know they arent going to be called upon to do anything else. Like Craigh hodges was a three-point shooter. Ben Wallace was a defensive stopper/rebounder (the two are obviously on different talent levels).

But I dont think its always laziness. some people have a ceiling and hit it. Like David Lee, I think he is likely about as good as he is going to get and he seems to try to improve. But its often a matter of coaching, plays, what your team needs, what you are encouraged to work on and personal motivation.

Klivlend
06-14-2010, 07:32 PM
A lot of it probably is laziness. But sometimes, I think players just reach a plateau

fadedmario
06-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Drugs, being Lazy, and coaching

netsgiantsyanks
06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
1. lazyness like the other guy said
2. they only care about the money
3. injuries
4. they just start sucking

Hawkeye15
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, I think some players are limited. Some things take a certain amount of athleticism. Sometimes the players are discoruaged.

Take Dwight Howard for example. I heard he worked on his jumper all offseason and SVG just doesnt run plays for him like that. When I played center in highschool, my coach saw me practicing three-pointers and he said "work on your post moves and free-throws, dont waste your time with three-pointers, we arent running any plays where the center shoots threes."

Some times you get a guy like Derrick Coleman who have all the talent and size and seem content playing at 20/10 and dont put out the effort of a guy like Karl Malone. Sometimes players just arent as smart as other players. Larry Bird for example was a very smart ball player, where as Dwight Howard doesnt have a very high basketball IQ at this point in his career so he cant move the ball out of the double team as well as Shaq used to, or Hakeem.

Sometimes players are niches players and know they arent going to be called upon to do anything else. Like Craigh hodges was a three-point shooter. Ben Wallace was a defensive stopper/rebounder (the two are obviously on different talent levels).

But I dont think its always laziness. some people have a ceiling and hit it. Like David Lee, I think he is likely about as good as he is going to get and he seems to try to improve. But its often a matter of coaching, plays, what your team needs, what you are encouraged to work on and personal motivation.

agree with this. To add to it, the speed of the game, and the small window of opportunity of success when trying to be a pro athlete is always in effect. It is the best 450 players in the entire world. There area always new guys, guys getting old, etc. Its beyond difficult to make the NBA, let alone sustain a career. And how many of us had that 6'10" guy in high school who was so clumsyd he could barely walk. These dudes are HUGE, agile, and the best athletes in the world. Only a select few will get better as they age

97NYer
06-14-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't know. Hey MICHAEL BEASLEY, why don't you help us out? Why are there NBA players the don't improve?

Hawkeye15
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
haha, forgot to add, many players dont improve because of the factors JJ and I listed. Some are just flat out crazy or dont work hard, and those guys are infuriating, because most of us would give our left nut to have the size, talent, and money of NBA players

Korman12
06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
There's a lot more to it than laziness, although that usually ends up being the number one reason.

One is that they're type of game, or style, just doesn't translate to the NBA - guys like Adam Morrison are usually looped into this group. The game's pace today usually requires a lot more athleticism than it had before, rather than simply good on the ball skills. Things like this are usually why teams are weary of drafting mid-level foreign talent as well.

If we're looking at laziness from a player point-of-view, then that has to be translated towards potential. And I don't mean college-type potential, I mean what you see out of those players in their first, second and sometimes third season. Usually within that time frame you can tell how good a player really can be. Keep in mind how rare it is when players exceed expectations after those first couple of seasons.

And, well, some players just aren't going to get much better as their career progresses.

Ragun
06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
well there are other reasons too. some players try hard to improve but it doesnt end up benefiting them...for example luol deng...the luol deng from a few years ago is better than the deng now. he got a personal trainer to help him but it ended up making him worse.

dnl123
06-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Young men that get alot money and like to party are a bad combination, that sums a bit of it up....

kblo247
It goes back to something Tex Winters said:

There are basketball players and then there are guys who play basketball.

The first group loves the game, improve, work hard, and get rewarded for doing so.
The second group lives the money, life, and treat it as a game because they are good at it or athletic.

nuggetsyankees
I believe Adam Morrison is the best example of this

DerekRE_3
1. lazyness like the other guy said
2. they only care about the money
3. injuries
4. they just start sucking
5. They went to Duke

fixed

Hawkeye15
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
It goes back to something Tex Winters said:

There are basketball players and then there are guys who play basketball.

The first group loves the game, improve, work hard, and get rewarded for doing so.
The second group lives the money, life, and treat it as a game because they are good at it or athletic.

dang, perfect answer Tex

i.got.the.nutz
06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
dang, perfect answer Tex

x2 :clap::clap:

Hellcrooner
06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
sometimes is because you wer thrown into a bad situation.

say you are a 19 year old sg with a lot of potential and you get drafted by the nLakers oe a sf and are drafted by cavs or a center and drafted by orlando.

no mater waht you do you wont see more than 8 minutes a game for your whole rookie contract.

Thats 4 years of eating crap, making effort for nohthing tha t will eventually wear you out and make you give up.

td0tsfinest
06-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I was looking at players in the past that were bust and I wondered if your 20 years old and you get paid MILLIONS of dollars to just play basketball every day don't you think you would improve after a while.
I mean I know if I practiced playing basketball everyday and got paid to do it I would improve. Is it just because they are lazy or is it because it takes a long time and effort to improve one skill on an NBA level. What do you all think, part of me feels that NBA players should improve every year and we shouldn't have busts in the NBA because that's what they get paid to do; play basketball.

That pretty much answers it. They made it to the big leagues and a lot of them take it for granted and just don't work hard enough.

SteveNash
06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Humans are lazy in general, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise. You'd be better off asking what drives players to seek improvement.

AsiandudePH
06-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Definitely laziness.

This usually occurs with players who are already good, those with whom people have high expectations with. They get so confident with what they do that they feel like what they have (skill wise) is enough to sustain them their whole career.

Unfortunately for them it's likely that it's too late for them to improve or people have already given up and does not want to give the a chance.

Look at the D-League players that the Warriors get (or other teams who pick up good players from there). They're in a D-League for a reason but worked hard and worked their way up to the NBA.

Another good example is Ben Wallace. He can't be an all-star OFFENSIVE player, so instead he focused on his athleticism and worked on his defense and worked hard.

That's what I don't get with these players. If I'm in their position gifted enough to play for the NBA, having a job which I love (and of course all the perks in it) I'd do my best to be the best. I won't get contented with just being one among the others.

dwadefan03
06-14-2010, 09:38 PM
actually it has absolutely nothing to do with lazyness at all. Players DO get better it's just not as noticable because EVERYONE in the league gets better so the advancements players have made are overshadowed by their peers.

bal_ravens
06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I think most arent really lazy. For example, Kwame Brown. Everybody bashes on him, but he was just so dominate as a high schooler, and never really faced great competition. He went from playing not very great players, to the best players in the world. He probably just wasnt as good as people thought.

GunFactor187
06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
It's all about the money, unfortunately.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I think some players just peak at different times.

tdunk21
06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
1) coaches are not utilising their skills properly or not giving them playin time to prove their worth
2) lazyness
3) not fitting that particular system
4) lack of personal motivation to excel

thats all that i can think of.....

xabial
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
2 Words. Guaranteed Contracts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Just a few on top of my Head-

Hedo Turkouglu
Andre Iguodala
Eddy Curry
Jerome James (My personal favorite)
Jared Jeffries
Luke Walton
Gilbert Arenas (Microfracture surgery, Gets paid more than a Max contract, Brings guns to locker rooms)
Rashard Lewis (Gets paid to much to Choke in playoff pressure. Really good shooter tho)
Elton Brand

And Much morre....

Next CBA take off guaranteed contracts, and make them partially guaranteed like the NFL!