PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers start Odom and not over-rely on Bynum?

RipVW
06-14-2010, 11:10 AM
You gotta respect the way Bynum has battled through injury and his willingness to tough it out. But at the same time, it seems like its affecting him in a big way. Maybe he will turn it around the next game, but should you leave it to chance? Would it be better to let Odom start and to give Bynum spot minutes?

It can do 2 things: 1) not over-rely on an injured player, who, if he's not right, could hurt you, and 2) possibly get Odom going by letting him try to get into the flow at the outset.

Thoughts?

JordansBulls
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
You gotta respect the way Bynum has battled through injury and his willingness to tough it out. But at the same time, it seems like its affecting him in a big way. Maybe he will turn it around the next game, but should you leave it to chance? Would it be better to let Odom start and to give Bynum spot minutes?

It can do 2 things: 1) not over-rely on an injured player, who, if he's not right, could hurt you, and 2) possibly get Odom going by letting him try to get into the flow at the outset.

Thoughts?

For offensive purposes it would be good, but then LA has nothing off the bench.

I would probably start Odom over Artest before I did over Bynum.

RipVW
06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
For offensive purposes it would be good, but then LA has nothing off the bench.

I would probably start Odom over Artest before I did over Bynum.

Its not like the Celtics get a lot of offense from Perkins, even when not playing the Lakers. I might take my chances on Odom and Gasol down low and then youd also Odom might potentially have a big game on offense.

Also, it might be smart for LA to go small. It might help them get to more loose balls and also, it kind of seems like Boston might have a feel defensively for the Lakers and this could switch it up.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Bynum not playing kills them. Gasol is their only size, and he is not physical enough to handle the frontcourt of the C's by himself, and they have no depth in the size dept. Bynum being hurt is costing LA the series

RipVW
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Bynum not playing kills them. Gasol is their only size, and he is not physical enough to handle the frontcourt of the C's by himself, and they have no depth in the size dept. Bynum being hurt is costing LA the series

Odom is 6'9, so he could be used to front Perkins. He's more athletic than Perkins so his athleticism could negate Perkins height advantage vertically. Perkins would be better positionally, but, again, its not like Perkins is a scoring machine. Plus on defense, you could possibly use Odom to move Garnett or Perkins away from the basket.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2010, 11:51 AM
basically, what I meant was, the C's offensive rebounding is far easier when Bynum is not a factor. Perkins isn't a scoring threat against me for crying out loud, but the extra posessions the Celtics get with no Bynum is crippling LA

RocketsRule
06-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Agreed. To me, it seems they are more effective defensively with him anchoring the middle than with Gasol at C and Odom at PF.

Offensively, they may take a step back but their defense drastically makes up for it which allows them to gain leads/stay close with the Celtics.

sventhedog
06-14-2010, 01:49 PM
won't make a difference. odom is just too dumb to realize he has to step up.

MSG34
06-14-2010, 01:53 PM
basically, what I meant was, the C's offensive rebounding is far easier when Bynum is not a factor. Perkins isn't a scoring threat against me for crying out loud, but the extra posessions the Celtics get with no Bynum is crippling LA

Exactly, the lakers don't have a shot without Bynum in my opinion. There just beyond soft with gasol and odom out there guarding KG and Perkins or even Sheed

Avenged
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Bynum is playing better than Lamar with 1 leg, I don't think that would be a good idea. Andrew is out there altering shots and playing decent defense while Lamar is really not doing anything at all.

king4day
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I think Bynum would be less effective if he's coming off the bench cold. His knee would be tight.

kblo247
06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd look at starting Luke Walton or getting Sasha Vujacic in early for Artest to make the triangle flow quicker or spread the floor for Kobe and Pau.

DerekRE_3
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Odom is 6'9, so he could be used to front Perkins. He's more athletic than Perkins so his athleticism could negate Perkins height advantage vertically. Perkins would be better positionally, but, again, its not like Perkins is a scoring machine. Plus on defense, you could possibly use Odom to move Garnett or Perkins away from the basket.

But you also have to worry about Rondo's drives, not just Perkins and Garnett in the post.

Avenged
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd look at starting Luke Walton or getting Sasha Vujacic in early for Artest to make the triangle flow quicker or spread the floor for Kobe and Pau.

I think it's too big of a risk at this point of the season when the Lakers are facing elimination.

kblo247
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
I think it's too big of a risk at this point of the season when the Lakers are facing elimination.

All I know is that say what you may about Luke but he shows and steps up in closeout games

You also get Kobe easier buckets with him on the floor

Tony_Starks
06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I look for Bynum to be a bit more effective at home. I also don't expect to hear much from the Nates, Babys, Tony Allens of the world.

The thing about the playoffs is role players usually play better at home like Shannon and Farmar did in LA and like Nate and Baby did in Boston.

Lakers are fine.

97NYer
06-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Odom is the best play after Kobe/Pau. He should start anyway.

Kobe
Artest
Odom
Pau
Bynum

Too much size.

kblo247
06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Odom is the best play after Kobe/Pau. He should start anyway.

Kobe
Artest
Odom
Pau
Bynum

Too much size.

Your bright idea is to take the 2nd most clutch player, guy defending the hell out of Ray Allen, and only other one who is know to step up in big games and moments out the lineup for Odom and Artest at the 2 and the 3?

F me.