PDA

View Full Version : Who will manage the Cubs next season

swingingzambran
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
with the cubs off to a disaster of a start, you have to start thinking about the managing position of the Chicago Cubs in 2011. There is a chance that Lou will return next season, but to me that seems like a long shot. It seems that his time is up and once again the cubs will be searching for another manager. Would not mind if they give Sanberg a chance. what do you think? Also what additions can the cubs make next year to become a true contender. Free agency seems awfully weak?

StrandedCub
06-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I say it is Ryno or Tram.

tonytram
06-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Ryno probably.

RedHeadsRule
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
If the Cubs plan on using next season as more of a rebuilding year, I could see them hiring Sandberg in order to keep the fans interested.

If they plan on being contenders, I don't know, maybe Trammell or still Sandberg.

CUBDOM4life
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
If they want to be successful, then someone not named Ryan Sandberg.

I think they'd rather please the drunken idiot fans with Sandberg as our manager though. So whatever.

Mell413
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
If they want to be successful, then someone not named Ryan Sandberg.

I think they'd rather please the drunken idiot fans with Sandberg as our manager though. So whatever.

I think Ricketts wants this team to win. I don't know much about Sandberg as a manager so I can't say whether it's a good move or not. That said I'd rather have someone with experience. Based on what's out there I would like Brenly or Trammell. If we are going with the youth movement Trammell is probably the better option.

Barber School
06-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Sandberg or Alan Tramell.

StrandedCub
06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I think Ricketts wants this team to win. I don't know much about Sandberg as a manager so I can't say whether it's a good move or not. That said I'd rather have someone with experience. Based on what's out there I would like Brenly or Trammell. If we are going with the youth movement Trammell is probably the better option.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't see Brenly managing this team while Soriano is still on it. No way can they get along for an entire season. I think it will be Ryno. And if next year is a rebuilding year then I think it is undoubtedly Ryno.

homestarunner93
06-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I really want it to be Trammell, but its almost certainly going to be Sandberg at this point, unfortunately.

Mell413
06-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I don't see Brenly managing this team while Soriano is still on it. No way can they get along for an entire season. I think it will be Ryno. And if next year is a rebuilding year then I think it is undoubtedly Ryno.

That's true. That said though as bad as this season has been I don't expect this to be a long rebuilding process. With the right moves this team can be back as early as 2012. If we have a team that is ready to compete for a title by then I don't know if I honestly can say that Ryno is the best man for the job. If this team doesn't plan on spending money and is mainly young guys I guess Sandberg could be a good teacher for the kids.

Mister Marcus
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Ryno. Seriously guys he is a good manager. He is a lot like Girardi in many respects. I think you guys would be suprised. Tired of the high priced retreads like Bayler, Baker and Lou. Time to build this team from the ground up and run with our younger players.

AllStar44
06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
You gotta think it's gonna be Ryno. I still to this day wanted Giradi to manage this team. I don't quite remember but did he want the cubs job over the Yanks?

Kirel
06-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Ryno. Seriously guys he is a good manager. He is a lot like Girardi in many respects. I think you guys would be suprised. Tired of the high priced retreads like Bayler, Baker and Lou. Time to build this team from the ground up and run with our younger players.
Running with our younger players is essentially admitting that 75 wins is just too high a standard.

ty_smitty21
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Rickets has already said the GM is responsible for managerial moves. So whoever the new GM is, he will be the one deciding the next manager.

Everyone assuming Ryno will be the manager needs to understand this point.

Also, the Cubs will be trying to contend every year. When you have this payroll, a complete rebuild just isn't going to happen. If the Cubs can trade a few big contracts, let the kids who are ready play, and fill out some holes in free agency and trades, they could very well be contenders pretty quickly.

Also... I'm not sure why Trammel, Brenly, and Sandberg are the only names being thrown out there.

Rosh
06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Been out of the Cubs loop for a while. Why is Ryno considered a joke now?

gocubs2118
06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Been out of the Cubs loop for a while. Why is Ryno considered a joke now?

He has always been considered one. Way too much small ball.

bj3youngbuck
06-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Ryno has the experience as a player to be a good coach. But im not sure about his coaching ability. There will undoubtedly be some coaches on the market after this year, so the options will increase. Brenly wont manage the team if soriano is on the team. SANTO!!!!!

IRNMN
06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I actually just talked about this on my PSD blog. I really do not think Sandber is the best option if I am not mistaken he has a losing record managing in the minors. While I think he should be a coach at the bigs I don't think he is ready to manage. Hoewver, knowing the Cubs they will sign him to make the fans happy. However, personally speaking there not going to lose the fans so they need to get the best man for the job whether or no he is the popular pick. Also, Tram I have my concerns. Also, if Brenly wants the job he should just come down from the booth.

Guny Highway
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Running with our younger players is essentially admitting that 75 wins is just too high a standard.

No, I agree with the authors statement. Running with our younger players like Colvin and Castro means that they are the future and the future is now.

Guny Highway
06-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Small Ball wins...Period.

gocubs2118
06-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Oy vey.

1908_Cubs
06-12-2010, 10:44 PM

That's ****ing ********.

And if you believe that....you might be too. Just saying.

CUBDOM4life
06-12-2010, 10:50 PM

I would LOVE Brenly or Trammell.

I think Sandberg would suck because we're gonna end up as a "small ball" team like Ozzie's White Sox whith Juan Pierre and Mark Kotsay... Heart.

CUBDOM4life
06-12-2010, 10:51 PM

**** that ****. Go back to little league.

HotRuta
06-12-2010, 11:22 PM
We got to see Trammell as a manager for the Tigers --- he's a smart baseball guy, but he didn't maintain the kind of discipline that was needed (a common problem for talented players; they don't understand that not everyone has the kind of drive, determination, and self-discipline that they do). We need a dictator/enforcer-type --- someone like Leo Durocher was in the 60s when he shocked the Cubs into respectability ... for a while ...

Today, Lou P was assuring the reporters that the team won't quit. News flash for Lou: this team has already quit, right after Spring Training. If he doesn't get that, then there's no point in watching the rest of the season.

For those who are anxious to unload Derrek Lee: his fielding on bad throws to first from our stellar infielders saves at least one error a game; whoever replaces him had better be a whiz at scooping up wild throws. Remember this quote from Mark Grace: "I owe [Dunston] a lot. Nobody would know how good I was at digging balls out of the dirt if it wasn't for him...".

Time to start playing the youngsters ... and make sure that the new manager (whoever he is) is good at developing young players.

ReJo
06-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I like Lloyd McClendon.
Like Trammell he deserves another shot at managing. His first managing stint he didn't have **** for players but did a pretty decent job. As good as anyone could do managing the Pirates. He's been in Detroit the last 5 seasons working and learning with one of the best in the business in Jim Leyland. I think when he gets another managing job he will be a lot more polished and ready.

Guny Highway
06-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Ozzie won a Championship, what a few years back?

We are going 100 years plus. Look I love the Cubs, been a fan since the 1970's. But the fact remains that collecting high priced free agent talent and then signing on managers with track records elsewhere has done nothing. We have one of the largest payrolls south of the Yankees, a solid pitching staff and great closer. Bottom line, waiting on our high priced sluggers to deliver the big fish is not working. You watch the same team I do. Failing to bring in runners in the clutch is our single biggest weakness right now. Blame the bullpen all you want, but they have worked out their problems. Case in point today's game against the Sox...As per ususual, Soriano and Lee did not deliver in the late innings.

Out of our three ringers, only Derrick Lee has delivered in the post season. Small ball works for me if it starts to generate some wins. This team has underachieved since the last 30 games of the 2008 season.

Flame me all you want, I don't care but this team playing as shoddy as it is right not is a friggin Greek Tragedy.

If the Cubs are to win a World Series, it must be an organic effort from within. Meaning building around Colvin, Castro, Marmol and other prospects with somone like Sandberg managing.

4cubs
06-13-2010, 02:06 AM
How about Torre? I thought I heard he might be available (Dodger financial problems).

I think the best right now is Scioscia, but he would be next to impossible to get.

I wouldn't mind giving Brenly a shot.

gocubs2118
06-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Ugh, if we are building a team around Colvin, its not going to win 70 games.

Brad IBCB
06-13-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd much rather see Sandberg as bench coach than managing right away.

RedHeadsRule
06-13-2010, 02:53 AM
I know it's become a popular thing to say Sandberg would make a terrible manager. But I'm not going to say that without ever seeing him manage a game. Honestly, I don't really care a whole lot who our next manager is. I wouldn't mind seeing Trammell get another shot, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. As much as most of us dislike Lou, if Aramis, Lee, Zambrano, Grabow, etc. would've played better this season, we'd probably be contending for the division. And no matter who the next manager is, many people on this board will probably disagree with a lot of his decisions; a manager who uses stats like wOBA, WAR, and BABIP isn't walking through the door.

And about Sandberg having his 3rd hitter bunt in a game one time, I don't really care. I highly, highly doubt he'd have his middle of the order bunt if he managed in the majors.

There was a discussion about the possibility of Sandberg managing the Cubs on another board, and the bunting with the #3 hitter was brought up. One of the posters posted how many times Tennessee (Ryno's team last year) sac bunted compared to the teams in its dvision. They sac bunted the 2nd most times in the division (58 times), but only 3 more than the team with the 3rd most bunts and 5 more than the other team. So it's not like he had his players sac bunting at a record pace, or anything like that.

cowboydoc45
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
That's ****ing ********.

And if you believe that....you might be too. Just saying.

because we have seen how well the power ball play has worked...

I am not saying that we should do nothing but small ball, but lets face it guys, we are not scoring, and we aren't hitting with RISP. We are getting guys on, and hoping that someone hits a HR...

I am not advocating that we start bunting constantly, or that we have complete disregard for power, but incoroporating a little more hit and run, a little more bunting guys over, a little more terror on the base paths... the key is balance. We are built for pure power, it didn't work, lets build to balance...

4cubs
06-13-2010, 11:57 AM

I am not saying that we should do nothing but small ball, but lets face it guys, we are not scoring, and we aren't hitting with RISP. We are getting guys on, and hoping that someone hits a HR...

I am not advocating that we start bunting constantly, or that we have complete disregard for power, but incoroporating a little more hit and run, a little more bunting guys over, a little more terror on the base paths... the key is balance. We are built for pure power, it didn't work, lets build to balance...

x2

Jilly Bohnson
06-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Prove it

Jilly Bohnson
06-13-2010, 12:04 PM

If our problem is hitting with runners in scoring position, how does giving up outs to get guys in scoring position help our problem?

jacquewho?
06-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I nominate croce_99

Jilly Bohnson
06-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Ozzie won a Championship, what a few years back?

We are going 100 years plus. Look I love the Cubs, been a fan since the 1970's. But the fact remains that collecting high priced free agent talent and then signing on managers with track records elsewhere has done nothing. We have one of the largest payrolls south of the Yankees, a solid pitching staff and great closer. Bottom line, waiting on our high priced sluggers to deliver the big fish is not working. You watch the same team I do. Failing to bring in runners in the clutch is our single biggest weakness right now. Blame the bullpen all you want, but they have worked out their problems. Case in point today's game against the Sox...As per ususual, Soriano and Lee did not deliver in the late innings.

Out of our three ringers, only Derrick Lee has delivered in the post season. Small ball works for me if it starts to generate some wins. This team has underachieved since the last 30 games of the 2008 season.

Flame me all you want, I don't care but this team playing as shoddy as it is right not is a friggin Greek Tragedy.

If the Cubs are to win a World Series, it must be an organic effort from within. Meaning building around Colvin, Castro, Marmol and other prospects with somone like Sandberg managing.

That team won by hitting the 2nd most homers in baseball and with an awesome pitching staff. It's idiots like Dave Kaplan that give Scott Podsednik way too much credit and why people think they won with smallball.

4cubs
06-13-2010, 12:09 PM
If our problem is hitting with runners in scoring position, how does giving up outs to get guys in scoring position help our problem?Runners on first and second with no outs (twice yesterday). The Cubs didn't score with either opportunity.

These days I would like our chances better with a sac bunt to advance the runners to second and third and then try for a sac fly.

Of course this assumes we can put down a successful sac bunt which the Cubs seem to botch more often than not.

Jilly Bohnson
06-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Runners on first and second with no outs (twice yesterday). The Cubs didn't score with either opportunity.

These days I would like our chances better with a sac bunt to advance the runners to second and third and then try for a sac fly.

Of course this assumes we can put down a successful sac bunt which the Cubs seem to botch more often than not.

That's another good point. Even if you want to play more smallball(bad idea), you at least need guys who are good at it. Wasn't it a few games ago where we had Koyie Hill bunt and it went right back to the pitcher? People act like smallball is some magic solution. It's not. Bunts, even from good bunters, are hardly automatic. And even then you still need the next guy to make hard contact to get the run home.

AllStar44
06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Overplaying small ball manager > Lou Pinella, bang your head into a brick wall until something works manager, IMO.

Mell413
06-13-2010, 01:10 PM

I disagree with this. I haven't been watching baseball all that long, but I can't remember a team winning a title with small ball. The Yanks hit the ball last year and won and the same with the Phillies in 08. I don't think not playing small ball is the reason we have not won, but rather it's our 3-4 hitters not hitting. Billy Beane's 01-02 teams I believe led the league in runs scored and they never bunted. I'm not saying it can't work, but it has not worked yet.

Guny Highway
06-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Look Sandberg once led the National League in home runs. He understands the importance of letting the big sticks take their cuts. That being said, baseball is as much about making things happen as it is letting your big bats produce. Billy Martin understood this. Not sure why this is such a sore subject with all of you. I wouldn't call it small ball, but rather smart ball. Being agressive puts more pressure on pitchers, it forces errors and if done right it does not take the bat out of the hands of your best players.

I never said we needed to build around Colvin, but rather younger players like him. Say what you want, we could blame injuries last season. This team, this season is clearly underachieving.

toovey107
06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
What is all this building around Colvin nonsense? If he surprises you and becomes a good contributor than great, building around him? please just kill me then. I would sell Colvin down the river in a heart beat. Let him strike out 200 + times on the Nationals or w.e.

And I don't hate Colvin by any means.

ty_smitty21
06-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Why does everyone keep assuming Sandberg will play nothing but small ball? Has he ever managed in the big leagues?

If he had a team of sluggers, he quite possibly could adjust to the team he has.

I'm sure he likes to try and make things happen in the minor leagues to show he can manage.. that doesn't mean he will be that way in the pros.

That said.... I still repeat: the next GM will be the one deciding the new manager.. so sandberg is FAR from a sure thing for 2011.

mg420
06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Why does everyone keep assuming Sandberg will play nothing but small ball? Has he ever managed in the big leagues?

If he had a team of sluggers, he quite possibly could adjust to the team he has.

I'm sure he likes to try and make things happen in the minor leagues to show he can manage.. that doesn't mean he will be that way in the pros.

That said.... I still repeat: the next GM will be the one deciding the new manager.. so sandberg is FAR from a sure thing for 2011.

the one major factor you are forgetting is ricketts who idolized guys like ryno & maddux when they played. aside from the fact that no one can predict what kind of manager he will be (similar to people assuming what kind of pitcher silva would be for the cubs) i can't see anyone else but sandberg being the manager in 2011.

toovey107
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
the one major factor you are forgetting is ricketts who idolized guys like ryno & maddux when they played. aside from the fact that no one can predict what kind of manager he will be (similar to people assuming what kind of pitcher silva would be for the cubs) i can't see anyone else but sandberg being the manager in 2011.

Not anywhere similar but okay.

mg420
06-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Not anywhere similar but okay.

sure they are-both cases are fans attempting to predict the future based on incomplete info. no one could have predicted how good silva would be for the cubs just like no one can predict what kind of manager ryno will be.

Jilly Bohnson
06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Look Sandberg once led the National League in home runs. He understands the importance of letting the big sticks take their cuts. That being said, baseball is as much about making things happen as it is letting your big bats produce. Billy Martin understood this. Not sure why this is such a sore subject with all of you. I wouldn't call it small ball, but rather smart ball. Being agressive puts more pressure on pitchers, it forces errors and if done right it does not take the bat out of the hands of your best players.

I never said we needed to build around Colvin, but rather younger players like him. Say what you want, we could blame injuries last season. This team, this season is clearly underachieving.

You know what else it does? It creates unnecessary outs. And unless you're hyper-efficient at smallball the outs you lose outweigh the extra bases you gain.

sure they are-both cases are fans attempting to predict the future based on incomplete info. no one could have predicted how good silva would be for the cubs just like no one can predict what kind of manager ryno will be.

No, it's really not. Silva was a mediocre pitcher for 10 years in the major leagues, coming off two back to back very bad years. Sure there was a chance he'd rebound, but for anyone but Larry Rothschild to think he'd do what he's done would have been insane.

toovey107
06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Well sure , but you can go by Silvas track record as a pitcher and his terrible numbers he posted for most of his 10 yr career. Ryno is a crap shoot, nobody really knows how he will be as a manager at the ML league level.

jiggin
06-13-2010, 04:55 PM
i'll probably think/worry/analyse this once this season is over...

redwhitenblue
06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Runners on first and second with no outs (twice yesterday). The Cubs didn't score with either opportunity.

I believe both those times it was the middle of the order up.

A) Those guys aren't great bunters-they don't do it often-and asking them to bunt is idiotic.
B) You're taking the bat out of the best hitters hands if you choose to bunt in those situations (at least one time I remember it was Lee and Byrd up)

The Cubs have had a mix of bad production and horrible luck. Just like in 2008 they had amazing luck with always getting the timely hit, it fluctuates.

Tabou71
06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
i wanted girardi before grampa lou...i think you give trammel a shot and have sandberg a bench coach....i think it would be your best bet.:cool:

ggross
06-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I think the first question on the application for Cubs manager should be:

1. Would you EVER platoon Soto and Hill?

CubbieSteve
06-13-2010, 07:28 PM
This message has been deleted by dbroncos78087.

bosox_mattyice
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Bobby Valentine...

Guny Highway
06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I dunno guys. Ryno to me would be in the Joe Torre mold, atleast as far as his demeanor.

The Cubs following is loyal, so whatever the owners decide to do, rest assured it will be geared toward winning and not appeaseing the fan base.

I would like to see Ryno with the Cubs in some capacity next season. Not managing in the minors.

toovey107
06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I dunno guys. Ryno to me would be in the Joe Torre mold, atleast as far as his demeanor.

The Cubs following is loyal, so whatever the owners decide to do, rest assured it will be geared toward winning and not appeaseing the fan base.

I would like to see Ryno with the Cubs in some capacity next season. Not managing in the minors.
Joe Torre mold? Torre is pretty calm. From the reports I've heard Ryno gets pretty riled up. Could be wrong.

Ryno as a bench coach , I like. Manager, no.

Guny Highway
06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I remember Ryno as a player, very well. I wasn't the emotional type, maybe he has changed as a manager. I dunno.

windycityD
06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
It wont be Ryno. Sure, he gets promoted to be a coach, but he wont get the manager gig in 2011.

My bets are on Trammel. The outside shot, established, & name manager would be Gardenhire.

ggross
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
If it's Trammell, that will make two Cubs managers in a row that people seldom spell correctly.

Guny Highway
06-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Loved Trammell in the 80's. Great player.

BDawk4Prez
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
My vote goes to Croce to manage the team next year.

windycityD
06-14-2010, 12:19 PM
If it's Trammell, that will make two Cubs managers in a row that people seldom spell correctly.

Trammell, yeah.

The other thing that needs to be spelled out is that the next manager should really be getting his trial run during the second-half of this season. Of course, Lou wont get in the in-season boot, just like Dusty did not in 2006.