PDA

View Full Version : I call BS - World Cup over NBA Finals?

ValuePick
06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=92267

More Americans are interested in Soccer than the NBA Finals?

iFYouSeekAmy
06-11-2010, 08:55 PM
That's me.

Kakaroach
06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
We were talking about this in the World Cup Forum. This is going to be the biggest soccer match in USA history. Even though the NBA Finals are huge as well, their not even gonna be on at the same time.

shen
06-11-2010, 08:57 PM
ESPN has to be padding numbers. Soccer might be the most popular sport from entire world stand point. However in US it aint crap, that's why most people here don't know we have pro soccer. It is well known US don't care about soccer, it is known by every country including this one. Don't believe that poll for a split second. Especially as last nights game was highest rated game 4 since 04.

Avenged
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm stuck in between since the Lakers are in the Finals.

But if they weren't, I'd be more excited for tomorrow's USA vs. England game.

ChiSox219
06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Soccer is chic, the NBA is so 1995.

No question which I'll watch but I can see why the results are what they are.

ldc62
06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I like world cup more too. Not that surprising since everyone hates the Lakers and Celtics. Also USA is pretty good this year.

ManRam
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Haha. I was waiting for this. I don't know how you can call BS. You think ESPN is fixing it? :confused:

The World Cup will easily garner a billion+ viewers. The Finals don't even get 20 million Americans. Sure, in America, it's different, but I think you'd be surprised. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. I for one am more excited for tomorrow than I am for Game 5. I wouldn't be shocked if Wilson, Kaka, Den, and SI (just naming mods), among other obvious hard core NBA fans have similar feelings.

:shrug:

DenButsu
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Why not? Even most of the posters in here, who percentage-wise are obviously much more intensely interested in the NBA than the general public, have been very put off by these Finals for different reasons (refs are ****ing it up, same old boring Bos-Lal matchup, etc.) as evidenced by the many threads and posts *****ing about it.

Meanwhile, as Kakaroach said, the US-England game is a truly historic sports event for both countries, played out on the international stage. If ever there were a great game for Americans-who-usually-aren't-soccer-fans to take interest in, this is the one.

ManRam
06-11-2010, 09:04 PM
ESPN has to be padding numbers. Soccer might be the most popular sport from entire world stand point. However in US it aint crap, that's why most people here don't know we have pro soccer. It is well known US don't care about soccer, it is known by every country including this one. Don't believe that poll for a split second. Especially as last nights game was highest rated game 4 since 04.

I don't know. In the Group A discussion thread in the soccer forum there were a ton of posts. A lot of NBA fans in there too.

I honestly don't doubt it. Sure, I don't live in an NBA city, but BY FAR more people are excited about the World Cup than the Finals. I really mean "BY FAR" too.

elizur
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Well, maybe if it was College Basketball Finals I would say those numbers are wrong ,but since it is the weak NBA, I think the World Cup will have more viewers.

marlinsfan24
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I am a lot more interested in the World Cup as opposed to the Finals. I don't even like doing much NBA related right now because the reffing sucks, I hate both teams, and I'm sick of 2010 Free Agency taking all the attention away from the games being played.

DenButsu
06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
It should also be pointed out that the question wasn't "Which interests you more in general, FIFA soccer or NBA basketball?" It's a comparison of two individual games. And as a single game, US-England is pretty damn huge (and could potentially determine the fate of both teams), while game 5 of the Finals may be big, but isn't by any means decisive.

Americans still like basketball more than soccer on the whole, so no need to really worry about it.

b_russ
06-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Laker vs. Celtics... I think I'm even more interested in the WNBA right now than that.

GO USA!

xbrackattackx
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Usa usa usa!

Mudvayne91
06-11-2010, 09:12 PM
NBA seems to be a thin line from being rigged and the World Cup only happens once every 4 years.

G-Menfan4lyfe
06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
There are only 124000 votes and change. Obviously not everyone who likes sports in the USA voted on the poll. I could give a crap less about soccer but still go USA.

Id much rather watch the NBA Finals no matter who is playing or even a normal weekly NFL game over the world cup.

Hellcrooner
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
well no surprise fiving usa and england will play just ONCE and the loser very probably will not adv ance

as opposed to have a rigged finals where refs are making it sure it comes to a game 7 .

cmellofan15
06-11-2010, 09:22 PM
haven't watched even a minute of the Finals yet but caught the whole Mexico - S. Africa match. also watched some of TCU and Tennessee (college baseball). All in all the Finals are the least interesting to me from what I've heard of the officiating.

ManRam
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
well no surprise fiving usa and england will play just ONCE and the loser very probably will not adv ance

as opposed to have a rigged finals where refs are making it sure it comes to a game 7 .

Well I disagree with this post 100%. I'll skip the second part for now...but why won't the loser advance? The two other teams in their group BLOW.

EaglesJackson10
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I was more interested in today's games than I have been for the Finals. I don't understand the hype for this rivarly. I mean it is Celtics Lakers and it does have alot of history but there is nothing to this specific rivarly. There is no bad blood between the teams really. Im suprised there hasn't been more when you have personality's like Artest, Wallace, Garnett, and Kobe but there really hasn't been. To me its just another NBA Finals that I'm not really interested in. Last time they played it was great but this time its just boring cause I would of perfered Kobe vs. Lebron honestly. It also may have something to do with the fact that the World Cup happens once every four years and the NBA finals is an annual thing. If it were game 7 it would be different but it isn't. Also remember there is an international part of that poll.

LayZbone
06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
down here in Miami, with our largely hispanic demographic, people are going ape-**** crazy about the world cup. I'm a basketball guy tho so I'm gonna keep watching the Finals.

Hellcrooner
06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Well I disagree with this post 100%. I'll skip the second part for now...but why won't the loser advance? The two other teams in their group BLOW.

losing the first game is a big problem to advance later. if its england i geuss they bounce back , if its usa its done .

And on the second part , well just need to watch the games, refs screwed games 2 and four in boston favour and 3 in lakers favour

they are looking to extend the good ratings with 7 games

hope at least the 7th they let it be reffed fairly and that the best team wins.

Bruno
06-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Good thing we can enjoy both.

Evolution23
06-11-2010, 09:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=92267

We're talking about an event that happens every 4 years.. I'm def more interested in the World Cup, it is just amazing how the whole world gathers around for this event.

ldc62
06-11-2010, 09:49 PM

No both teams will make it. Still its gonna be Brazil vs Agentina in the finals...

Korman12
06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
How doesn't this make sense?

World Cup brings a lot of casual sports fans out. We're talking about the single most popular thing in the world.

ValuePick
06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Maybe people like the idea of a World Cup, but when it comes down to actually watching the thing, Americans tend to prefer sports that offer intermediate achievements such as advancing a ball ten yards in 4 plays or having 24 seconds to score a basket. I know I don't like watching dudes run around for 3 hours.

fadedmario
06-11-2010, 09:55 PM
What's soccer? Are there horses in it?

nyanks79
06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Haha. I was waiting for this. I don't know how you can call BS. You think ESPN is fixing it? :confused:

The World Cup will easily garner a billion+ viewers. The Finals don't even get 20 million Americans. Sure, in America, it's different, but I think you'd be surprised. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. I for one am more excited for tomorrow than I am for Game 5. I wouldn't be shocked if Wilson, Kaka, Den, and SI (just naming mods), among other obvious hard core NBA fans have similar feelings.

Haha this confused me at first. I hope Kaka is more intrested in the World Cup.

Sadds The Gr8
06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
World Cup 2010 >>>>>>>>>> NBA Finals 2010.

jackdawson
06-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Soccer world cup>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA finals. No matter how you see it. It's the greatest show on earth we are talking about. Even bigger than olympics. People of all ages from every corner of the world care about it.

Cromedome
06-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Soccer is just like Hockey to me....boring. He passes the ball (puck) ...pass to this guy ...another pass...steal.....another pass ...another pass.. he shoots ... miss

2 hours later

He passes....he passes again , another pass. he shoots ... OOOOOOOOOHH so close. Another sport where someone goes 1 for 21 and it's ok.

palmsguy225
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
cleary the world cup over the nba, the nba should just fold. It sucks its not entertaining

fadedmario
06-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Soccer is just like Hockey to me....boring. He passes the ball (puck) ...pass to this guy ...another pass...steal.....another pass ...another pass.. he shoots ... miss

2 hours later

He passes....he passes again , another pass. he shoots ... OOOOOOOOOHH so close. Another sport where someone goes 1 for 21 and it's ok.

:), I couldn't agree with you more.

igPay atinLay
On one side you have the most popular sport in the world on the other you have the NBA.

I think its the right call. Personally I like basketball better but espn is a global sports station and soccer number 1 sport in the world so you need to give the audience what they want.

heathonater
not a soccer fan at all, but i will watch the england and usa game though. but the world cup is by far the biggest sporting event the entire world.

Master Mind
06-11-2010, 10:09 PM
The World Cup comes around every 4 years--The NBA Finals, um every year...World Cup it is! :p

Naw but seriously The World Cup is international and there are so many different ethnicity/cultures in the US, why would you be surprised that people would choose the World Cup over the NBA Finals and besides not everybody likes the Lakers or the Celtics :eyebrow:

Master Mind
06-11-2010, 10:11 PM
cleary the world cup over the nba, the nba should just fold. It sucks its not entertaining

And baseball is? :confused:

:p

:eyebrow:

fadedmario
06-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Baseball, Basketball, Football (American Sports), Soccer (European sport) - That's the difference. Of course were all going to root for the U.S., but Americans in general don't give two ****s about soccer.

SundaeBest
06-11-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm stuck at 45-55 in favor of NBA, but that's only because I'm a huuuuuuuuuge Laker fan...otherwise I could give a rat's *** about the NBA finals and all the wishy-washy officiating.

Sure soccer may or may not be rigged as well, but at least there isn't an interruption every 3 seconds.

You get two halves of 45 mins with non stop action, versus an nba playoff game with a stoppage on the average of every 30 secs, between, foul, timeouts, foul, commercial break, foul, gotta mop the floor, foul. foul, foul, foul............. :p

avrpatsfan
06-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd watch the world cup over the Finals if the Celtics weren't in the Finals.

SundaeBest
06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Baseball, Basketball, Football (American Sports), Soccer (European sport) - That's the difference. Of course were all going to root for the U.S., but Americans in general don't give two ****s about soccer.

That's a gross over-simplification....I am not that big a soccer-fan as I am a Football > Lakers > everythign else, fan.....but soccer is growing in popularity. Also you have to realize a few points:

1: You have a LOT of different ethnic groups in America; and in just about every one of them, soccer IS the big ticket in their home-countries/cultures.
2: Not everyone likes the Lakers/Celtics
3: National pride is at stake
4: A lot more people like America (at least in the U.S) than the Lakers/Celtics. So they are going to root for their home country.

fadedmario
06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
That's a gross over-simplification....I am not that big a soccer-fan as I am a Football > Lakers > everythign else, fan.....but soccer is growing in popularity. Also you have to realize a few points:

1: You have a LOT of different ethnic groups in America; and in just about every one of them, soccer IS the big ticket in their home-countries/cultures.
2: Not everyone likes the Lakers/Celtics
3: National pride is at stake
4: A lot more people like America (at least in the U.S) than the Lakers/Celtics. So they are going to root for their home country.

I hear ya.

SundaeBest
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
There are only 124000 votes and change. Obviously not everyone who likes sports in the USA voted on the poll. I could give a crap less about soccer but still go USA.

Id much rather watch the NBA Finals no matter who is playing or even a normal weekly NFL game over the world cup.

Obviously not all 300 million Americans voted, but that is a nice sample-size. Trust me, a LOT of MUCH-MORE-IMPORTANT decisions that affect your life are made by politicians/lawmakers on much smaller sample sizes. Trust me.

Also, the vote was on an all-sports network, not a soccer blog, so I'm pretty sure they got a fairly even distribution.

Cromedome
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
What's the big deal about this "sport" ? Pass, pass, pass ...steal going the other way...pass, pass, pass, pass..steal going back the other way.....touch a guy on the shoulder, he floppes and acts like he's been shot..

He's on the ground for 2 min when the replay shows that he was never touched....play resumes.

Pass , pass , pass , pass , he FINALLY shoots.....awww, so close.

2 hours later...someone finally scores, the end.

I'm not a Laker or Celtic fan ..but basketball is basketball at this point.

mia305king
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Yeah. so ?

SundaeBest
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Also, was gonna edit my previous post...but decided against it.

The USA v England game has some very obvious cultural/historical/current events ramifications involved. Much better storyline, than an OLD rivalry that is more amped up by the media than the fan bases.

I'm a Laker fan, and I hate Boston fans, but not really because of the rivalry (too young), mostly because of my perceived arrogance and smugness that they give off, and I'm pretty sure they feel exactly the same about us Laker fans.

But the USA vs England......

- 30 years ago, the USA pulled off one of the greatest upsets in football history by beating England
- You got two teams that don't like each other very much
- There's still some animosity about how Americans feel Beckham halfassed it in LA
- BP destroying America's coastline
- Mother nation vs bastard offspring
- Who speaks better English :)
- World Soccer power (England) vs Wannabe Emerging Soccer Power (US)

And many more....I for one will be rooting for England, sorry countrymen, but I have my reasons :)

SundaeBest
06-11-2010, 10:43 PM
What's the big deal about this "sport" ? Pass, pass, pass ...steal going the other way...pass, pass, pass, pass..steal going back the other way.....touch a guy on the shoulder, he floppes and acts like he's been shot..

He's on the ground for 2 min when the replay shows that he was never touched....play resumes.

You've made the same nauseating point over and over....nobody cares.

Nobody is telling you to like it. Different strokes for different folks.

Not everybody likes Rocky-road or Mint Chocolate Chip (I'm a MCC kind of guy)....not everybody likes baseball....not everyone likes American Football (blasphemous I know).....give it a rest, you're in the minority on this one, celebrate your uniqueness and move along.

Dieselpi
06-11-2010, 10:43 PM
go figure the most popular sport in the world is getting attention in a country that is made up of people from all over the world..... shocking

DenButsu
06-11-2010, 10:45 PM

You can make the same simplistic argument about any sport.

For example: Why even bother watching the first 46 minutes of a basketball game when the games that basketball fans call "good" are always decided in the last 2 minutes (which actually last 2 hours) anyways?

Demonstrating that you don't really understand the sport doesn't do much to advance your point.

pf289
06-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Its because the NBA is simply one terrible *** league. Its fake basketball for a bunch of *******. College basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA

Sportfan
06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Are people actually surprised? NBA finals only affects people in Cali and New England. the whole country is the USA soccer team.

Caps1989
06-11-2010, 11:04 PM
the NBA just plains sucks these days. WPS (Womens Pro Soccer) sounds more interesting than the NBA.

D-Will4Prez
06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
lol more people are interested in the world cup because it's ANOTHER Lakers vs. Celtics game >.>. Also everyone in the US who likes soccer are US fans whereas the NBA is split between 30 teams lol not everyone is a Laker or Boston fan.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-11-2010, 11:07 PM
World Cup happens every 4 years at a WORLD Stage. Just like the Olympics. Of course everyone is watching.

yuoke
06-11-2010, 11:07 PM
give it a rest, you're in the minority on this one, celebrate your uniqueness and move along.

Not in the minority, even disregarding all of the points of why it is so boring, the match doesn't matter because they will once again be one and done.

EaglesJackson10
06-11-2010, 11:13 PM

That's just not true. Most of my friends who are really big sports fans and are fans of the sports you listed before do like soccer. I for one have just really gotten into soccer. But once you start to become a fan of soccer you realize that there are more American fans than you think.

Korman12
06-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Its because the NBA is simply one terrible *** league. Its fake basketball for a bunch of *******. College basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA

Really, we're gonna do this?

bosox3431
06-11-2010, 11:22 PM
How doesn't this make sense?

World Cup brings a lot of casual sports fans out. We're talking about the single most popular thing in the world.

This. Not a big fan of soccer, and like NBA a little more. But IM much more excited for the Cup then these crappy finals

2 hours later

Oh yes shooting a ball through a round goal is so much more interesting. Just because they dont score a ton of points, dont mean its not.

LOL. Maybe you should check out all the floppers in the NBA. Flopping in the NBA is horrible. Look at the whiny *** Pierce, I thought he was dying in 08 on the floor, 3 minutes later he's out playing some great basketball.

EaglesJackson10
06-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Atleast in soccer there are decisive moments outside of the last 3 minutes. For example today in the France Uruguay game France had an opportunity to score very early in the match and that was their best chance the whole match. In the NBA the first half doesn't really matter that much because no lead is really insurmountable and most of the time the game is close at half. In soccer if a team gets up 3-0 the game is pretty much over. Also I wouldn't want to watch a blow out NBA game cause it just gets boring. Blowout soccer games are atleast exciting when the goals are scored cause they aren't scoring points every 30 seconds.

JNA17
06-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Not surprising. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world.

Of course, USA!!! But i also hope France goes far so that i can see this guy do this again. REMI GALLIARD IS A ****ING LEGEND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TaecFvNiqo

Raoul Duke
06-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I watched for like 5 minutes today and I passed out. I think it's awesome that theres more soccer on TV nowadays, because frankly I have trouble falling asleep quickly, and watching a really simplistic and boring sport like soccer really helps.

Cromedome
06-12-2010, 12:03 AM
You can make the same simplistic argument about any sport.

For example: Why even bother watching the first 46 minutes of a basketball game when the games that basketball fans call "good" are always decided in the last 2 minutes (which actually last 2 hours) anyways?

Demonstrating that you don't really understand the sport doesn't do much to advance your point.

I understand the "sport" but it's boring as hell. Have fun wasting your time.

tangent12
06-12-2010, 12:07 AM
*Yawn* I could care less about the World Cup, it so overrated. The sport is just boring as hell. I'd rather sit thru the torture of watching two back to back WNBA games than watch soccer.

Nocioni5
06-12-2010, 12:14 AM
*Yawn* I could care less about the World Cup, it so overrated. The sport is just boring as hell. I'd rather sit thru the torture of watching two back to back WNBA games than watch soccer.

wow you must hate soccer pretty bad cause I'd rather do anything than watch the WNBA!

arkanian215
06-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Soccer isn't for everyone. It's like how Football isn't appealing to most Europeans, cricket, rugby, baseball, golf, nascar, pro wrestling etc.

NBAfan4life
06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Like everyone has said about the world cup every 4 years of course it is going to be bigger, not surprising.

What is kinda surprising to me is all the whiny *****es that come into a nba forum complainining how bad the nba is.

Dont watch, and if you dont like the nba dont come into the nba forum go talk about a sport you like watching and have something constructive to say.

Angel2Maverick
06-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Im more interested in the world cup, its an amazing site watching people from all over the world go and play for their country

PLAYERS FAN
06-12-2010, 12:32 AM
WNBA>World Cup

RadiantShot
06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Soccer is the #1 sport in the world by fact (viewers and such), regardless.

ABOMB_56
06-12-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't find this shocking at all. I haven't been interested in the Finals one bit. I found the Stanley Cup to be more interesting. World Cup>NBA Finals.

jiggin
06-12-2010, 12:40 AM
cali and some of the northern east...but besides that, not surprised that the rest of the country would be more into USA soccer in the world cup.

in my observations, people are sick of seeing the same teams in the finals of the NBA...and are just fine reading about the highlights on the internet the day after.

...and the ref situation isn't helping keep people glued to their sets...its like a 3 team game - yellow vs. green vs. grey sad really.

ABOMB_56
06-12-2010, 12:43 AM

That's not an ignorant point at all :rolleyes:
Soccer is one of the world's most, if not THE most popular sport. You are in the minority in this. I find it exciting that goals are harder to come by, it shows commitment to defense and more discipline. Just like in American Football, I find it more fun to watch a 17-14 game rather than a 42-41 game because I like low scoring defense. You act like basketball isn't just:
Pass, Pass, Drive, Dish, Shot, Miss, Rebound, and the same thing the other side of the court. All sports can have the same said about them.
Lastly, I also admire what these guys can do. Half the stuff they do with their feet would be almost impossible to replicate. And their conditioning is amazing. 2 45 minutes of straight play, no timeouts, no commercials

SundaeBest
06-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Not in the minority, even disregarding all of the points of why it is so boring, the match doesn't matter because they will once again be one and done.

Quit being dense...you ARE the minority, this is an NBA forum and YOU ARE OUTNUMBERED....let alone the world....disregard the points, ok let's disregard reality to suit your imaginary biases.....

The fact that they will be one and done does not change the fact that the game is more popular than the NBA finals, which is what the thread is about and what my whole argument was....and obviously you have no clue, this is the group stage, USA is ensured at least 3 games before they are eliminated

If you decide to come out of imaginary "I-ignore-the-facts" land, then we can have a logic based discussion, until then, you get :facepalm:

Avenged
06-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I think to get a better understanding of this is that people here in the U.S aren't really interested in the MLS but the World Cup is world wide, every country gets the chance to showcase their team and only the good (and fortunate) do so.

People who don't usually watch soccer are/will tune into the World Cup simply because it's the World Cup.

Mudvayne91
06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Like several already said, it depends on the person. Personally, I'd rather watch a 0-0 pitcher's duel in extra innings than see a slug fest. That's because I love seeing pitchers and not everyone is like that. My point is some feel soccer is "boring" and nba being "exciting" because of lack of scoring/pleathra of scoring. But there are others that feel the exact opposite. There shouldn't really be an arguement about that because it's all individuals perception and you can't prove a right or wrong on a persons preference.

ldc62
06-12-2010, 01:06 AM
WorldCup is way more exciting than NBA Finals and this is coming from a hardcore basketball fan.

Avenged
06-12-2010, 01:07 AM
And this is really the wrong forum when deciding which one people prefer. It's a basketball forum so people will choose basketball over soccer.

ABOMB_56
06-12-2010, 01:10 AM
And this is really the wrong forum when deciding which one people prefer. It's a basketball forum so people will choose basketball over soccer.

Which is what you think would happen, but if you look through it, World Cup is proving to be more popular even when asked in what would seem to be a biased perspective.

MSG34
06-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Probably the most anticipated match in American soccer history vs game 5 of celtics lakers?...I think the world cup is gonna win no matter how much soccer in America is undermined on this forum

Mudvayne91
06-12-2010, 01:13 AM
I think a lot of people just see it as a unspecified forum because it is a top 10 on the home page.

downsos
06-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Why are people surprised? Free agency is overshadowing the Finals, Boston vs. LA again. Only the fans of the teams and diehard basketball fans want to watch it. I'm a Bulls fan, not an NBA fan. Every game you hear about people *****ing about the officials. I don't see why people would be confused.

ldc62
06-12-2010, 01:15 AM
You could thank Stern for having everyone side with Soccer. Regardless of how much I like it, its surprising for me to see so many of the users pick soccer over nba finals.

tredigs
06-12-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm a HUGE NBA fan.

I care much more about the cup - including tomorrows game.

J$mo0th_3o5
06-12-2010, 01:31 AM
World Cup>Boston, LA finals

Korman12
I actually don't care about the officiating in the finals one way or the other. Yeah, it could obviously be better, but like a lot of other people said, I'm tired of seeing the same teams every year have a chance at another title.

I'm an enormous, enormous basketball fan. But I'm also a sport fan in general, and there are very, very few sports in the world I don't find interesting. I feel good rooting for our team because the Sixers suck, the Flyers just lost the Stanley Cup, the Phillies are in mid-season duldrums, and the Eagles are attending mini-camps.

Mudvayne91
You could thank Stern for having everyone side with Soccer. Regardless of how much I like it, its surprising for me to see so many of the users pick soccer over nba finals.

It's true in at least my case. Right or wrong, I really don't see the Nuggets winning a championship anytime soon because we don't compare to the markets of a LA or BOS or NY etc. I see it as Stern wants the officials to favor certain teams so they can succeed and the Nugs are not one of them. Like I said, I could be completely wrong, but from watching games previously, it really makes me question the authenticity of the NBA. Once you do that, it's kinda hard to go back to the other side of the fence. And the thing is, there is definitely a minority that feels the same way.

ElMarroAfamado
06-12-2010, 01:32 AM
the refs are making the finals unwatchable
Damn the USA England game is going to be ****ing hype!

Punkindrublic03
06-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Hell yea.

World cup >>>>>> nba finals.

cmon now.

clutchski
06-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Should be an great game. I'm not surprised at all many people chose this game over game 5 of the NBA finals. I think it's great many people are getting into WC soccer in the US. Helps the MLS as well. The more, the better.

In saying all that, go England. I'll be drunk as **** with my giant England flag wrapped around me..jumping up and down when Rooney scores.

rhino17
06-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Everyone still has a team to root for in the world cup. Most people outside of Lakers and Celtics fans are not interested in the NBA finals

SATX_2K7
06-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Why are people surprised? Free agency is overshadowing the Finals, Boston vs. LA again. Only the fans of the teams and diehard basketball fans want to watch it. I'm a Bulls fan, not an NBA fan. Every game you hear about people *****ing about the officials. I don't see why people would be confused.

I completely agree with you. I'm a Spurs fan, so every year I look forward to the Finals, no matter who is playing. But this year, I find the match-up to be boring and artificial. Okay we get it, Boston and L.A. are big cities and the teams have a history with each other. The most interesting thing about the NBA is where Lebron will end up anyway.

Mudvayne91
06-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Should be an great game. I'm not surprised at all many people chose this game over game 5 of the NBA finals. I think it's great many people are getting into WC soccer in the US. Helps the MLS as well. The more, the better.

In saying all that, go England. I'll be drunk as **** with my giant England flag wrapped around me..jumping up and down when Rooney scores.

Haha, it took a friend from Leicester to get me into soccer when I was young. I'm a huge Rooney and Man U fan now because of it even though he hates Man U. I'm actually going to a English pub in Colorado with him and his family to watch it. I will definitely be very entoxicated as well. I will be cheering for you folks every game except when it is beneficial to the USA. Should hopefully be very entertaining, good luck in the tourny and hope we both make it through.

clutchski
06-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Haha, it took a friend from Leicester to get me into soccer when I was young. I'm a huge Rooney and Man U fan now because of it even though he hates Man U. I'm actually going to a English pub in Colorado with him and his family to watch it. I will definitely be very entoxicated as well. I will be cheering for you folks every game except when it is beneficial to the USA. Should hopefully be very entertaining, good luck in the tourny and hope we both make it through.

lol I'd be shocked if one of us didn't make it through. You should come post in the World Cup forum (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=398).

jimbobjarree
06-12-2010, 01:54 AM

wahay I live in Leicester! Come on England! 7:30 kick off here, prime time to be hitting the pub

I'll still be watching the finals though since theyre like 5 hours afterwards, pointless poll really, but glad to see a rise in interest in soccer over there.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-12-2010, 02:19 AM
World cup that comes every 4 years > NBA Finals once a year

Im not a HUGE soccer fanatic, but i do like soccer and i know more about it than the average person and to me the World cup is ten times more important to me than a teams i can give three ***** about. If the Heat were there i would still prolly miss a a lot of it if both were on at the same time because thats my country.

ElMarroAfamado
06-12-2010, 04:38 AM
The World Cup is the biggets sports spectacle in the World its a shame the U.S audience does not really embrace it as such.....
there is a reason this thing is every 4 years....

majestic
06-12-2010, 04:56 AM
nba is fixed, world cup isnt. i hate soccer but ill watch this over a set up nba finals .

Korman12
06-12-2010, 05:30 AM
nba is fixed, world cup isnt. i hate soccer but ill watch this over a set up nba finals .

such a good argument, you know?

fredv
06-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Hahah this game has been so hyped, people are acting like its the biggest game in USSoccer history, well it isn't, because the outcome is almost insignificant.

IMO the biggest game for USSoccer history was 1 year ago, USA - Brazil final of the Confederations Cup, lost 2 - 3.
Now that was significant why? Because you actually won something if you won the game ROFL.

DCB/LAL
06-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Give it a few days and all this "World Cup" talk will die down its AMERICA.....Soccer can only entertain America for so long once all the HYPE dies down America will no longer be interested.

I for one however am excited about the US-England match-up tom at 2:30 ET if anybody is interested in watching it.

gilly
06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
If it were a better/more interesting match-up, maybe Suns/Cavs or something like that this may not be the case, but since it's the two 'main' teams in the NBA, less people are watching. If the Cavs or Suns or Orlando were on course to win a first championship more people would watch.

And soccer is the most popular sport in the world, after all.

Hustla23
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Although I'll say the World Cup in general is 8000x more entertaining than this year's finals, the USA - England game in particular just blows it out of the water.

arkanian215
06-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Like several already said, it depends on the person. Personally, I'd rather watch a 0-0 pitcher's duel in extra innings than see a slug fest. That's because I love seeing pitchers and not everyone is like that. My point is some feel soccer is "boring" and nba being "exciting" because of lack of scoring/pleathra of scoring. But there are others that feel the exact opposite. There shouldn't really be an arguement about that because it's all individuals perception and you can't prove a right or wrong on a persons preference.

That goes in soccer as well. A lot of people like wide open attack-attack soccer while others prefer a well defended game. Some people like possession and wouldn't have it any other way and others like the counter attacking brand.

Hellcrooner
06-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Soccer isn't for everyone. It's like how Football isn't appealing to most Europeans, cricket, rugby, baseball, golf, nascar, pro wrestling etc.

The problem with that is the exposure the sports have in usa and europe.

If you dont get to see many games on tv (good Games) you will grow up loving other sports and it will be difficult to catch on a new sport when you are older

You got to add that americans like watching the best players all togheter in a league wich happens in Nba, NfeL , Mlb and nhl but nfl is a very subpar league , basically because the best players dont sign wiht nmsl when they are in their prime because

1 tradition spanishm england, german tcetc leagues are highly touted and you have the superappealing champions league

2 Money, soccer does not work with salary caps, trades in wich you have to send somonte to get soemone, drafts etc so the best polayers dont want to go to usa
3 it woudl be very difficult to make league with all the best players because unlike in basketball here thereare 50 players all the world aorund that arge great then some 300 that are good enough for it then 25 still outside nba and than a BIG droppof of talent in soccer since there are that MUCH more players in teh whole world you got a first scale of 100-200 superplayers then like 2000 very good players then 5000 who coudl belong in any superleague.

4 its much more team orient4ed thenre is not a star qurterback or star pitcher that can be indentified as the Solely reqson for a team winning there is no ball hog putting 40 points a game and making the "clutch" shto tc etc.

As i was saying is a matter of waht you grow up watching.

Her in spain you barely ever get to see any Nhl, Nfl, Nascar or Mlb so its had to know if you like it or not.

And people her has the same BIAs bout those sports being Boring because of the many stops in nfl for sexample.

in my case ive managed to get a glimpse of all those american sports because ive taken the INTEREST to try find streams and gtry to undrstand the rules etc etc.

Mlb, dont like it, in fact since my mother is venezuelan and i used to spend summer there and there are ton of good venezuelan players an had a god tv coverage there ( before the stupid Chavez) i watched a lot but still dont like it.

Nhl, Quite like it .

Nascar, id rather whatch F1 or Rallys but is still enjoyable.

Nfl, love it once you get to understand the rules its very intriguin, still have to deiee wich team i want to root for , im liking the Jets.

arkanian215
06-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Where the heck have you been crooner? We didn't see any of your posts in the Group A thread.

Hellcrooner
06-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Where the heck have you been crooner? We didn't see any of your posts in the Group A thread.

Ive meditated leaving psd for the SIm league Crap.

BALLER71
06-12-2010, 09:31 AM

:nod:

arkanian215
06-12-2010, 09:36 AM
The problem with that is the exposure the sports have in usa and europe.

If you dont get to see many games on tv (good Games) you will grow up loving other sports and it will be difficult to catch on a new sport when you are older

You got to add that americans like watching the best players all togheter in a league wich happens in Nba, NfeL , Mlb and nhl but nfl is a very subpar league , basically because the best players dont sign wiht nmsl when they are in their prime because
Yeah most Americans, when watching teams prefer to watch quality winners. MLS isn't that yet.;)

1 tradition spanishm england, german tcetc leagues are highly touted and you have the superappealing champions league
Just like how baseball continues to be popular here.

2 Money, soccer does not work with salary caps, trades in wich you have to send somonte to get soemone, drafts etc so the best polayers dont want to go to usaremember the cosmos? I don't lol but it was definitely one of the quality periods in American soccer history. I like the way MLS is set up right now though. It's not conducive to building a lot of strong teams fast but it allows for league stability. In a country where soccer isn't in the top 5 in popularity amonst sports, you'll need that. Otherwise owners will just go bust.

3 it woudl be very difficult to make league with all the best players because unlike in basketball here thereare 50 players all the world aorund that arge great then some 300 that are good enough for it then 25 still outside nba and than a BIG droppof of talent in soccer since there are that MUCH more players in teh whole world you got a first scale of 100-200 superplayers then like 2000 very good players then 5000 who coudl belong in any superleague.
I would also say that adding talent is hard because of MLS' reputation at this point (along with payscale - minimum is around 56k and DP's earn around 1-2 million per year)

4 its much more team orient4ed thenre is not a star qurterback or star pitcher that can be indentified as the Solely reqson for a team winning there is no ball hog putting 40 points a game and making the "clutch" shto tc etc.
I think a lot of new comers to the sport don't see the "art" in the game. Team chemistry at its highest is amazing to watch. That's why to a lot of people, the Spanish brand of soccer is so attractive. The players look like they are controlled by a puppeteer.

Americans like stars. That's the way we market our teams to our viewers. But same goes for everywhere else.

As i was saying is a matter of waht you grow up watching.

Her in spain you barely ever get to see any Nhl, Nfl, Nascar or Mlb so its had to know if you like it or not.

And people her has the same BIAs bout those sports being Boring because of the many stops in nfl for sexample.

in my case ive managed to get a glimpse of all those american sports because ive taken the INTEREST to try find streams and gtry to undrstand the rules etc etc.
haha I was trying to talk to some brits about football and they thought it was a game that only involved fatties in tights pushing each other and a guy who threw the ball 20 yards. folks who don't give themselves the chance to get into it just think it's just kicking the ball around and running fast.

Mlb, dont like it, in fact since my mother is venezuelan and i used to spend summer there and there are ton of good venezuelan players an had a god tv coverage there ( before the stupid Chavez) i watched a lot but still dont like it.

Nhl, Quite like it .

Nascar, id rather whatch F1 or Rallys but is still enjoyable.

Nfl, love it once you get to understand the rules its very intriguin, still have to deiee wich team i want to root for , im liking the Jets.

I think a lot of folks who watch soccer are more likely to get into both ice hockey and basketball (lacrosse as well).

BALLER71
06-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Hahah this game has been so hyped, people are acting like its the biggest game in USSoccer history, well it isn't, because the outcome is almost insignificant.

IMO the biggest game for USSoccer history was 1 year ago, USA - Brazil final of the Confederations Cup, lost 2 - 3.
Now that was significant why? Because you actually won something if you won the game ROFL.

This is coming from a Brazilian. That game wasn't even that important either. It was the Confederations cup. Today's game is more important, IMO.

arkanian215
06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
This is coming from a Brazilian. That game wasn't even that important either. It was the Confederations cup. Today's game is more important, IMO.

Yeah. The Confederations Cup wasn't important. But those games against the world's best really spurred on interest in our national team. It also showed that if the US made concerted efforts to create a great national team, we could get somewhere. I hope Project 2010 is a success. I know we'll fall short of winning it all but hopefully all this interest drives younger generations into loving this sport. ESPN needs to step up and put soccer on more often.

Nocioni5
06-12-2010, 10:00 AM

The player in my sig was just signed by ManU he will be trasnfering as soon as the Cup finishes. He officially becomes Manchester property as of July 1st and he will be the first Mexican player to play for ManU.

Dieselpi
06-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Everyone still has a team to root for in the world cup. Most people outside of Lakers and Celtics fans are not interested in the NBA finals

not to mention, as a whole casual sports fans will pull for a underdog. The worldcup is loaded with those, celtics lakers there is no underdog.

ManRam
06-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I just walked to the bank and back. The bars here are absolutely bumping. It's pretty raucous.

Korman12
06-12-2010, 01:48 PM
If it were a better/more interesting match-up, maybe Suns/Cavs or something like that this may not be the case, but since it's the two 'main' teams in the NBA, less people are watching. If the Cavs or Suns or Orlando were on course to win a first championship more people would watch.

And soccer is the most popular sport in the world, after all.

Actually, less people would probably watch those hypothetical series'. Smaller markets, less casual fans, etc.

smith&wesson
06-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I beleive it for a couple reasons

a) the world cup comes around every 4 years.

b) soccer has grown more popular in the states in international play. mainly because team USA has done better in ever world cup that passes. also the team is pretty dam good now.

c) soccer may not be the most popular sport in the states but the world cup is intriguing to ppl because it is marketed very well and thers alot of hype and build up around it.

iFYouSeekAmy
06-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I guess it's like comparing the NBA finals to the Olympics? (I wouldn't go that far)

fadedmario
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry soccer fans. I tried. I'd rather watch Sex and the City than this game. NBA finals are much more exciting.

Dieselpi
06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
to each their own.

fadedmario
06-12-2010, 03:13 PM
to each their own.

No disrespect. I hope US wins though.

topdog
06-12-2010, 03:19 PM
There are soccer fans in the US, but more than that I think is the prospect of U.S. vs. England. First off, people suddenly start paying attention when the U.S. of A can win something on the world stage. I mean, how many people follow track and field until the Olympics when there are U.S. college championships each year on tv? Then, there is the U.S.-England dynamic. It is a natural rivalry what with England being the "motherland."

disk 8
06-12-2010, 03:30 PM
***** soccer

Reversed86Curse
06-12-2010, 03:57 PM

I read an AP article last night that said something like 124,000 tickets have been sold for World Cup games to Americans alone, second in the world behind S.Africa of course. So, if tens of thousands of Americans are willing to go half way around the world to watch soccer, then I'd say the interest is pretty damn high- I know I wouldn't travel to LA to watch a basketball game....

ManRam
06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
to each their own.

Amen. I had more fun watching that game at the bar than I've had any other game I've watched in a while.

ToldYa
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
losing the first game is a big problem to advance later. if its england i geuss they bounce back , if its usa its done .

And on the second part , well just need to watch the games, refs screwed games 2 and four in boston favour and 3 in lakers favour

they are looking to extend the good ratings with 7 games

hope at least the 7th they let it be reffed fairly and that the best team wins.

game two ray allen went bezerk on lakers and the lakers shot 15 more free throws than celtics and game 4 the bench came in and just straight PUNKED the lakers ..man are you people really this stupid?? lol:facepalm:

The ChiCago KiD
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
No BS man.....NBA finals although good.....world cup is a better....sorry.....I would say 80 to 85 percent of nba fans could care less unless a team they like or enjoy is in the finals....and that doesnt make them bad fans ....they just like what they like.....world cup is national ..worldly....nba final just couldnt compete man...sorry....

The ChiCago KiD
06-12-2010, 05:13 PM
topdog no disrespect but dont lump track and field in the olympics together with world cup soccer.....its not even close...thats like saying basketball and frisbee golf are similar....thats ********.....

JNA17
06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
this is why i never watch soccer. How do you end a world cup game at 1-1? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Caps1989
06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
this is why i never watch soccer. How do you end a world cup game at 1-1? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

It's quite simple, one team scores one goal and the other team scores one goal. Then time runs out. Atleast it's not like the NBA where there is a break in the game every minute.

JNA17
06-12-2010, 05:44 PM
It's quite simple, one team scores one goal and the other team scores one goal. Then time runs out. Atleast it's not like the NBA where there is a break in the game every minute.

i'll take a break in a game every min. over the stupidity of ending a very important game in a tie! Has the sport ever heard of overtime? Every other sport has that.

sorry but basketball, baseball, football (except regular season but they still have a thing called "overtime"), hockey, etc etc. Has at least one team declared the winner.

If this was a regular season game, then sure i understand, but in a world cup game? That's just dumb imo

Soccer008
06-12-2010, 05:47 PM
since this isn't a deciding game, and the soccer game might be the most important in u.s. soccer history, i'll go soccer.

JNA17
06-12-2010, 05:48 PM
since this isn't a deciding game, and the soccer game might be the most important in u.s. soccer history, i'll go soccer.

probably 80 or 90% of people in the US don't give a crap about soccer. If you mean the world, then yes i agree.

Soccer008
06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
probably 80 or 90% of people in the US don't give a crap about soccer. If you mean the world, then yes i agree.
Your sources being....?

Cromedome
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I watched the last 25 min of this "sport" with the score tied 1 - 1. It was pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, pass, pass, yellow card, miss shot , people looking clumsy, pass , pass , shoot, miss, pass, pass ,pass, steal, pass pass.

...and then when time was up...I was expecting overtime. I was wrong. The game ends tied at 1 - 1 ? Was it worth the hype?

Mike515089
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I would chose the Nba finals over the World Cup. To me Soccer is just a small step above Golf in the entertainment field. But if more people want to watch it guess I cant argue that.

junion
06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
The World Cup is the biggest thing in the world. America is a melting pot - people from everywhere come here to live. There are many sports someone can like, and all around the world, Soccer is the biggest. Since America's a melting pot, there's influences from around the world - that's why Americans like the world cup and soccer in general.

CrazyCrackar
06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Ill take the world cup, both sports are kinda weak to watch. However, worldcup is only every 4 years, biggest sport in the world, and its your country.

krest213
06-12-2010, 06:11 PM
The way this soft *** final going i rather watch soccer all day, because they ban sisi *** calls.
Go celtics. Even though i'm a spurs fan

JNA17
06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Your sources being....?

i don't feel like looking for sources. If you want, ask about 20 random people what they think about soccer. You'll probably post and lie about how 20 of them like it so there might be no point but try it anyway ;)

PBG
06-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Your sources being....?

he said probably.

everytime i hear the word soccer/futball i think of this....

http://bop.nppa.org/2007/thumbnails/512/00013314/SAT/00013314-SAT-001.JPG

borat
06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, we will see what kind of ratings the soccer game got.

I learned 2 things watching the game today. Soccer is such a snoozefest. The proof is that the fans have to go nuts throughout the game to relieve their boredom. But hey it was a much hyped game and the biggest in soccer history for the United states. And at the end of the day it was a tie. :laugh:

JNA17
06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
he said probably.

everytime i hear the word soccer/futball i think of this....

http://bop.nppa.org/2007/thumbnails/512/00013314/SAT/00013314-SAT-001.JPG

:laugh:

that or just take it from george carlin from 4:13 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oOLQi5-is

borat
06-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Btw and dont get it twisted. Americans do not care about soccer at all. It is the novelty factor. The world cup happens every 4 years. Espn hypes up the event like it is the best thing ever and then people are interested. Americans are as interested in soccer as they are swimming and track and field. Once every 4 years they will check it out and then continue to avoid the boredom known as the MLS.

MSG34
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, we will see what kind of ratings the soccer game got.

I learned 2 things watching the game today. Soccer is such a snoozefest. The proof is that the fans have to go nuts throughout the game to relieve their boredom. But hey it was a much hyped game and the biggest in soccer history for the United states. And at the end of the day it was a tie. :laugh:

I don't understand the humor in this. We tied. Hilarious. We secured a point against the best team in our group probably ranked around 8th in the world and if we win the next two games we could be looking at a #1 seed.

Just because it's group stage doesn't mean the game is insignificant. Just because it's a tie doesn't mean the game is insignificant. This was a good day for USA soccer.

DCB/LAL
06-12-2010, 06:29 PM
lol at alot of posters saying its because of LA vs BOS correct me if im wrong but isn't the NBA getting some of the highest ratings because its Bos vs LA??? Yeah kinda doubt if it were 2 other teams they could draw higher ratings than LA vs Bos unless it was Kobe vs Lebron.

borat
06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't understand the humor in this. We tied. Hilarious. We secured a point against the best team in our group probably ranked around 8th in the world and if we win the next two games we could be looking at a #1 seed.

Just because it's group stage doesn't mean the game is insignificant. Just because it's a tie doesn't mean the game is insignificant. This was a good day for USA soccer.

Yes i understand what in means in terms of points and for our tournament future.

In the grand scheme of things, only soccer though produces happiness from not winning.

drew_ellis_23
06-12-2010, 06:33 PM
I hate soccer and I would watch a World Cup game over a finals game. Hell I hate hockey, and I watched the Cup Finals instead of the NBA finals. NBA is scripted.

azkarraga
06-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Neither Argentina nor Brazil will be on the Final. Keep on dreaming.

Cromedome
06-12-2010, 06:39 PM
A 1 -1 tie? I'm glad I only caught the last 25 min. Pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, pass pass, clumsy guy falls down, pass, pass, pass, missed shot, pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, pass, guy misses the goal, pass, pass, pass, clumsy guy falls down and the game ends up in a tie.

What a joke.

MSG34
06-12-2010, 06:40 PM
A 1 -1 tie? I'm glad I only caught the last 25 min. Pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, pass pass, clumsy guy falls down, pass, pass, pass, missed shot, pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, pass, guy misses the goal, pass, pass, pass, clumsy guy falls down and the game ends up in a tie.

What a joke.

It wasn't a pretty game but I'll take it. Watching the knicks isn't always pretty either and that's coming from a true fan as well.

Cromedome
06-12-2010, 06:43 PM
It wasn't a pretty game but I'll take it. Watching the knicks isn't always pretty either and that's coming from a true fan as well.

I'd rather watch Duhon run the Knicks (into the ground) than watch 10,000 passes that went nowhere.

MSG34
06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
I'd rather watch Duhon run the Knicks (into the ground) than watch 10,000 passes that went nowhere.

Watching Duhon run the knicks is watching passes going nowhere.

Spiderdan22
06-12-2010, 06:51 PM
soccer is a sport...basketball is not a sport

JNA17
06-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Watching Duhon run the knicks is watching passes going nowhere.

at least he uses his "hands" to pass ;)

JNA17
06-12-2010, 06:53 PM
soccer is a sport...basketball is not a sport

george carlin says otherwise

smith&wesson
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
i'll take a break in a game every min. over the stupidity of ending a very important game in a tie! Has the sport ever heard of overtime? Every other sport has that.

sorry but basketball, baseball, football (except regular season but they still have a thing called "overtime"), hockey, etc etc. Has at least one team declared the winner.

If this was a regular season game, then sure i understand, but in a world cup game? That's just dumb imo

im not hear to argue basketball or soccer, i love both. im not gonna start comparing sports when i can enjoy both..

but my man, you have to understand that each league is different in soccer.

you can have a classic overtime in soccer where you have two much shorter half's and then if its still tied you go in to a shoot out.

and then you have the golden goal type of ot in soccer where its first goal wins. (kinda like hockey right?)

but in the world cup it works based off of points. if you score 3 goals your gonna have more points then the other teams in your division if they only scored 1 or 2 goals. so you dont just want to beat teams you want to get as many points as you can so you qualify to the next round. and a tie is always much better then a loss. because if the other teams in your have a loss and a win and you have a loss and a tie, you qualify to the next round.

you feel me ? each league is different. soccer being a sport played in every part of the world has many leagues with different rules and such.

and there is a huge fan base in the states considering the states is populated to over 250 000 000 ppl. even if 10 % of those americans like soccer it would still be a huge fan base considering the amount of ppl .
but the us has alot of popular sports so soccer tends to take a back seat whear as other places in the world soccer is the most popular because it has almost become part of the culture such as, brazil, england, spain, italy, ect..

thats just my take on it.

pippsux
06-12-2010, 07:41 PM
It was great watching England choke as usual. US owned them in the 2nd half, just didn't finish.

Sports Illustrator
06-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I love basketball a lot more than I love soccer, but the world cup certainly takes the edge for me right now even though I still watch every game of the NBA finals. Even the people who don't watch soccer, they still watch the world cup to support their own country.

The world cup only happens once every four years, meanwhile the NBA finals happens once a year. I think that has some influence as well.

slamfan4life
06-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Usa usa usa usa usa usa

knickfan4life
06-12-2010, 08:21 PM

dude, EVERYONE watches the world cup, its like the Olympics... i hate soccer, but i watch the world cup, even more so than Olympic basketball, cuz there its never a good game til the finals where its alwayss the US versus like argentina or spain or germany. in the world cup its like the ncaa tournament, but only once evry 4 years, its insaneeeeeeeeee and people all over the world go crazy... go to a pub anywhere across the US on a world cup game day and ull see what im tlkin about, its not only an international thing

Duncan = Donkey
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
England were very poor. Great team on paper, average on the field. Been like that for last 15 years or so.

Feel bad for Robert Green though.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-12-2010, 10:02 PM

Sure but the World Cup happens once every 4 years, this US team is actually pretty good and the NBA Finals only has 2 teams. Everyone in Boston and LA obviously cares more about the NBA Finals but in every other city, people may be interested more in the World Cup, since their team isn't in the finals. The US team can be targeted towards every city in the US vs. only 2 cities in the NBA Finals.

I agree soccer isn't anything compared to basketball but the World Cup happens every 4 years, so its a little different than some random soccer tournament.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I love basketball a lot more than I love soccer, but the world cup certainly takes the edge for me right now even though I still watch every game of the NBA finals. Even the people who don't watch soccer, they still watch the world cup to support their own country.

The world cup only happens once every four years, meanwhile the NBA finals happens once a year. I think that has some influence as well.

Yeah, exactly. I don't even watch soccer but I'm watching the World Cup. Once every 4 years. It's like the Olympics. Does anyone ever watch swimming outside of the Olympics? Or track? Or skiing? No, but when the Olympics come on, you do watch.

I really think the best comparison is that the World Cups is basically like the Olympics. Everyone watches, mainly to support their country.

arkanian215
06-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I read an AP article last night that said something like 124,000 tickets have been sold for World Cup games to Americans alone, second in the world behind S.Africa of course. So, if tens of thousands of Americans are willing to go half way around the world to watch soccer, then I'd say the interest is pretty damn high- I know I wouldn't travel to LA to watch a basketball game....

I think during the pre-game they said something about more Americans being there than English. That's understandable since we're a much more populous nation. Still, I'm glad a lot of people went out there to support the USA.

bomber0104
06-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, exactly. I don't even watch soccer but I'm watching the World Cup. Once every 4 years. It's like the Olympics. Does anyone ever watch swimming outside of the Olympics? Or track? Or skiing? No, but when the Olympics come on, you do watch.

I really think the best comparison is that the World Cups is basically like the Olympics. Everyone watches, mainly to support their country.

except for the fact that just as many people watch club soccer competition. People watch soccer mostly because they enjoy, if ur team is in the world cup, its icing on the cake

FOBolous
06-12-2010, 11:23 PM
i missed today's USA vs England game but i think i might start watching the world cup as oppose to the final as long as USA is playing because...well...the refs suck. i'm getting tired of watching basketball players shooting free throws.

world cup with national pride at stake > watching players shoot free throws

arkanian215
06-13-2010, 12:02 AM
i missed today's USA vs England game but i think i might start watching the world cup as oppose to the final as long as USA is playing because...well...the refs suck. i'm getting tired of watching basketball players shooting free throws.

world cup with national pride at stake > watching players shoot free throws

well we don't have much in terms of national pride when it comes to soccer. you can still watch both. it's not like they have conflicting schedules.

i wonder if kobe supports the US.

0nekhmer
06-13-2010, 12:16 AM
eh i think im the only one who does not care about the world cup. i can see how if you are a soccer fan your obviously going to love this, but people who dont ever watch soccer are going nuts over this..

oak2455
06-13-2010, 12:27 AM

This is how I rank sports in the US

Football(NFL)
Baseball
Basketball
NHL

But when it comes to the world cup unless my team is in the NBA finals World cup comes before.......just my opinion:)

SundaeBest
06-13-2010, 01:05 AM
I think during the pre-game they said something about more Americans being there than English. That's understandable since we're a much more populous nation. Still, I'm glad a lot of people went out there to support the USA.

That was just biased punditing....if you saw the game, you could clearly see a LOT more England fans....was a fun game, I didn't think USA was gonna pull off a tie, and they probably shouldn't have.

arkanian215
06-13-2010, 01:07 AM
That was just biased punditing....if you saw the game, you could clearly see a LOT more England fans....was a fun game, I didn't think USA was gonna pull off a tie, and they probably shouldn't have.

:shrug: they brought up ticket sale numbers?

According to the South African organizing committee and FIFA, soccer's international governing body, more than 130,000 of the 2.8 million tickets were purchased by U.S. residents, the highest total by any country other than South Africa. Donald Gips, U.S. ambassador to South Africa, estimated that between 25,000 and 40,000 Americans would attend some of the 64 matches. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/07/AR2010060704456.html

SundaeBest
06-13-2010, 01:09 AM

What a joke.

I find your ill-conceived posts about monotonous-redundancy kind of ironic, given your repetitious use of copy+paste which is splattered all over this thread.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:for fail logic:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Sixerlover
06-13-2010, 01:23 AM
I'd rather watch a regular season Kings - Bobcats game over soccer, but thats me. Maybe it has to do with how I was raised, or the fact that I played basketball my whole life, but soccer is one of those sports to me where if I am not on the field, it isn't appealing to watch.

Becks2307
06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
You know what i never get? Why die hard fans of other american sports seem intent on bringing down football (soccer) at every chance they get. LOL You dont see football fans around the world talking **** about baskeball for no reason at all. They just enjoy their sport.

Hellcrooner
06-13-2010, 01:40 PM
You know what i never get? Why die hard fans of other american sports seem intent on bringing down football (soccer) at every chance they get. LOL You dont see football fans around the world talking **** about baskeball for no reason at all. They just enjoy their sport.

its called envy , rage and feelings of inferiority.

its stupid i love soccer and basketball and tennis and nfl and handball and f1 and so on and on and on.

i dont like baseball but dont feel any need to bash it , i enjoy miy things and thats it.

Reversed86Curse
06-13-2010, 01:51 PM
:shrug: they brought up ticket sale numbers?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/07/AR2010060704456.html

Thanks for posting the article link, that was the article that I was referring to

Young2Kinsler
06-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Probably because this is the most boring finals possible, anything is better than this. No one outside of LA, Boston, or the bandwagoners care about this series.

LA_Raiders
06-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I have to agree, World Cup is huge, and its only every 4 years. But the games are in the morning, it sucks...

My Teams: USA, ITALY, SPAIN, MEXICO & BRAZIL... One has to make it... lol

ink
06-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Watching both. False dilemma, there's no reason to have to choose.

Dieselpi
06-13-2010, 02:41 PM

actually its not bias they were basing it on the number of tickets to the game sold in the us as opposed to england.

Lo Porto
06-13-2010, 02:51 PM
The World Cup happens every 4 years. LA versus Boston happens every 2.

wileyisTOFU
06-13-2010, 03:03 PM
The World Cup happens every 4 years. LA versus Boston happens every 2.

this

kEviN21
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Lakers vs Celtics is too boring and old...GO USA SOCCER! I actually watched the whole game!

97NYer
06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
WC is once every 4 years, Finals is every year. And aren't we all used to seeing the Lakers and Celtics?

Cromedome
06-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I find your ill-conceived posts about monotonous-redundancy kind of ironic, given your repetitious use of copy+paste which is splattered all over this thread.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:for fail logic:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I never copy+pasted anything at all...so i'm not sure wtf you're talking about. Monotonous-redundancy whatnow? :facepalm: Enjoy your soccer.

clutchski
06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Lakers vs Celtics is too boring and old...GO USA SOCCER! I actually watched the whole game!

This sorta thing is exactly why I want the US to do well in this year's World Cup. It gets Americans into soccer and should hopefully pump money into the MLS. Still an England fan though, so I hope you guys finish second in the group :p

rockets-fan
06-13-2010, 08:30 PM
dude...soccer is a world wide phenomenon...thats y this country full of all cultures rather watch their own country represent rather than another bos vs. la finals.....i hate soccer, but even im watching my two favorite teams...Mexico and USA

leafsjays1
06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
The NBA sucks, I am pretty sure I already saw this series 2 years ago and the celtics won, it's gonna be the same for the next couple of years, and that is why the NBA is a complete joke, teams never get any better

Korman12
06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
The NBA sucks, I am pretty sure I already saw this series 2 years ago and the celtics won, it's gonna be the same for the next couple of years, and that is why the NBA is a complete joke, teams never get any better

I love the rationalizations for "I don't like the NBA" to equating that it sucks. Couldn't it just be that you don't like it?

Mike Oxlong
06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
The NBA hasn't been good since '98. I hate what it has become.

Korman12
06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
The NBA hasn't been good since '98. I hate what it has become.

What has it become? And why 1998? Jordan retiring (the second time)?

Mike Oxlong
06-13-2010, 09:30 PM
What has it become? And why 1998? Jordan retiring (the second time)?

No, its the fact that you can't touch anyone anymore. The players in the league don't help either.

ClayMatthews
06-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Soccer is so fun to watch. Lets watch a ninety minute game to see the outcome end with a tie. I mean come on people. If you think thats interesting heres a link to watch grass grow. http://www.watching-grass-grow.com/

:)

Mike Oxlong
06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I would watch the NBA over soccer though.

AI4MVP
06-14-2010, 03:32 AM
omg. World Cup>NBA Finals. by far. and its not even close. And this is coming from a die hard passionate basketball lover. Im not talking about Soccer vs Basketball. im talking about world cup>nba finals. The stage, the meaning, the significance. Its not even debatable. World Cup is probably tied with the Olympics as the most important sporting event ever.

And btw, for those of you hating on soccer and thikning its boring, its just u dont know the beauty of the game. u dont appreciate that great passing, the hustle, the foot-eye coordination and skill involved. Watching basketball, they score every other possesion or something like that. Its not exciting when someone gets a bucket in the 2nd quarter or something. What non soccer fans will never get to experience is the huge adrenaline rush once an opportunity for a goal has been created, followed by the overwhelming joy, or sigh of disappointment followed by it.

p.s. i find it funny alot of the people who think soccer is boring actually think baseball is fun to watch. Number one, how can u explain baseball anymore fun then soccer? hit, out, hit. double play. noone scored. out, out, pitcher scratches his balls for 30 seconds, walk, hitter spits for 3 minutes, out. hit, hit, score!. out , out.

Phelps89
06-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Well, I don't doubt more Americans are interested in the World Cup over the NBA finals. If it was the Bulls in the NBA finals, I would be more interested, but since its not, I am way more interested in the World Cup. I bet that is how a lot of people feel. The majority of people not fans of LA or Boston are probably going to be more interested in the World Cup, especially now that USA has a good chance of making it out of there group.

albertc86
06-14-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm not surprised if this is true. In my neighborhood, I hear people cheering in the early hours of the morning, and even have non-sports fans asking which countries won. But, it's the world cup --- every 4 years --- and it's a patriotic thing for a lot of people, so I'm not surprised.

Sixxpack
06-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Ha, I'll watch the MLS Finals, (scratch that) All Star Game over any NBA game, including the Finals:clap:.

Sixxpack
06-14-2010, 07:27 AM
omg. World Cup>NBA Finals. by far. and its not even close. And this is coming from a die hard passionate basketball lover. Im not talking about Soccer vs Basketball. im talking about world cup>nba finals. The stage, the meaning, the significance. Its not even debatable. World Cup is probably tied with the Olympics as the most important sporting event ever.

And btw, for those of you hating on soccer and thikning its boring, its just u dont know the beauty of the game. u dont appreciate that great passing, the hustle, the foot-eye coordination and skill involved. Watching basketball, they score every other possesion or something like that. Its not exciting when someone gets a bucket in the 2nd quarter or something. What non soccer fans will never get to experience is the huge adrenaline rush once an opportunity for a goal has been created, followed by the overwhelming joy, or sigh of disappointment followed by it.

p.s. i find it funny alot of the people who think soccer is boring actually think baseball is fun to watch. Number one, how can u explain baseball anymore fun then soccer? hit, out, hit. double play. noone scored. out, out, pitcher scratches his balls for 30 seconds, walk, hitter spits for 3 minutes, out. hit, hit, score!. out , out.

Years ago I would've chosen Baseball over soccer, but that's more because baseball was available for me, whether that's watching or playing. But since '94, and since I was in the Army, hell no. The strategy, patience, and timing is what makes soccer great to me, it doesn't hurt that our national teams have grown up big time on the world scale, and become 20 x as popular in most of the country over the last 15-20 years.

Don't get me wrong, the NHL and NFL are still my # 1 $ 1A, but soccer is right up there.

TopsyTurvy
06-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Numbers are out and here's how they stand.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/entertainment/television/NATL-In-Battle-for-Ratings-World-Cup-Keeps-Pace-With-NBA-Finals-96370589.html

Saturday's World Cup match between the U.S. and England drew massive viewership numbers that beat the first four games of the NBA Finals.

The hotly anticipated match, which saw the U.S. achieve an unlikely draw against the European giants, attracted 13 million viewers on ABC and 4.1 million on Univision for a total of 17.1 million.

The battle for NBA supremacy between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers -- which is posting its highest number in six years -- drew 14.1 million, 15.7 million, 16 million and 16.4 million viewers respectively through the first four games.

Game 5 of the NBA championship restored order, however, posting 18.2 million.

Still, the stats show an impressive spike in interest in the World Cup with overall viewership up more than double the 2006 World Cup.

Trend both the World Cup and the NBA Finals up.

Perhaps the more amazing thing about the World Cup Numbers is when one considers the time at which the games are played compared to prime time broadcasts of the NBA Finals.

Another interesting comparison comes from:

http://www.epltalk.com/england-usa-viewing-audience-beats-first-four-games-nba-finals/20914

The England against USA match on ABC alone drew more viewers than every game of the 2010 Stanley Cup Final. And that was after the June 9 broadcast of the Stanley Cup Final on NBC was the most-watched NHL game in the United States in 36 years with 8.28 million viewers.

Mudvayne91
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I definitely a World Cup fan, but I think there is some shananigans with the NBA front office. That being said, I still have watched both as much as possible.

Klivlend
06-15-2010, 05:46 PM
NBA for me. I have been trying to get into soccer for like 6 years now and just can't do it. It is just so damn boring to me. And most of the players look like the kids you picked on in high school. Whatever. I'll keep trying I guess. I've been trying to get into hockey for a few years now too, making slow progress

Becks2307
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
NBA for me. I have been trying to get into soccer for like 6 years now and just can't do it. It is just so damn boring to me. And most of the players look like the kids you picked on in high school. Whatever. I'll keep trying I guess. I've been trying to get into hockey for a few years now too, making slow progress

LOL what? football players are really tough

Fireworld
06-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Finals have been better, not enough goals in the World Cup. Lowest ever I believe.

blams
06-16-2010, 01:41 AM
World Cup is freakishly boring

blams
06-16-2010, 01:42 AM
LOL what? football players are really tough

haha, i guess..not really. They get a few big collisions and falls and trips, but the majority of injuries are obvious fakes and are pathetic. Baseball players are tougher than "football" players. (soccer)