Raptor-54
06-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Larry drew is the new Hawks Coach

Raptor-54
06-11-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/06/11/hawks.drew/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

ko8e24
06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I think this guy once upon a time used to be a Laker assistant coach under Del Harris, and then remained assistant coach along with Bill Bertka and Dave Wohl when Harris was fired and Kurt Rambis became interim head coach in that '98-'99 lockout season.

Well, congrats to him! :clap:

Raptor-54
06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Joe Johnson is gone for sure now !

Kakaroach
06-11-2010, 08:21 PM
They wanted to go cheap and keep the same system they had now. I don't think this team will improve under Drew.

td0tsfinest
06-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Hmm..Interesting. I've never heard of this guy, I don't think he was ever been a lead assistant.

By firing Woodson, I thought they were planning to go out and getting a battle tested head coach. :shrug:

iFYouSeekAmy
06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Wait.. who?

*Silver&Black*
06-11-2010, 09:00 PM
YEAH! Hawks fired Mike Woodson for this. I'm so excited.:rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
used to be a good player pity he came to La when he was gfinished i think his son is going to make it to the nba too

RocketsRule
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Interesting, never heard of him. With all the options out there you'd think they would have chose someone with more of a name, but whatever.

Only time will tell how this hiring plays out, though it doesn't look to pretty at the moment.

arkanian215
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Isn't his kid at UNC? lol watch them draft him. I think he's a PG so might as well unless you think Teague is going to be the franchise guy.

superkegger
06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Hmm..Interesting. I've never heard of this guy, I don't think he was ever been a lead assistant.

By firing Woodson, I thought they were planning to go out and getting a battle tested head coach. :shrug:

Thats kinda what I thought. This seems like a cheapo move and a commitment to being just what they are, a decent team. Maybe Drew is going to be great, but I dunno.

bigsams50
06-11-2010, 10:42 PM
used to be a good player pity he came to La when he was gfinished i think his son is going to make it to the nba too

He's playing for the Heels at the moment. IDK if he's NBA good. He's gonna have to make a good leap in his abilities this year

still1ballin
06-11-2010, 10:53 PM
who?

fadedmario
06-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm predicting the Hawks don't make the playoffs next year.

blacknell
06-11-2010, 11:23 PM
larry dew dew?

IAmKira
06-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Back to the lottery we go HAWKS.

*Silver&Black*
06-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm predicting the Hawks don't make the playoffs next year.

Isn't that Non-Hawks fans prediction every year? Last year's "pre-season rankings" most people didn't have the Hawks (instead having teams like Raps and Wiz:)) and it looked like they were the 3rd seed in the East. So......Haters until it happens.

ugafan
06-11-2010, 11:56 PM
What a ****ing horrible move by the management. I'm genuinely pissed off, we'll just get the same iso ******** every single play of every single game. This team is going absolutely nowhere. We'll make the playoffs next year, but lose in the 1st round. I can't wait until a half-decent owner buys the Hawks.

Raoul Duke
06-11-2010, 11:57 PM
The guy from "The Price Is Right"?

RadiantShot
06-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I want to know how it's possible to spell his name differently in the title, and the body.

"Lerry Drew"
"Larry Drew"
;)

saintdrew
06-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Yay now Atlanta basketball and football can extend their streak of shittyness.

ldc62
06-12-2010, 01:31 AM
They shoulda kept Woodson or hire a proven guy (Sam Mitchell).

sargon21
06-12-2010, 03:32 AM
who the **** is this guy??

OT Thriller
06-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Assistant Coach? Then what was the point of firing Woodson. You need a shakeup with leadership, is the assistant a big enough shake? This hire is confusing, hopefully it works out I mean you cant root against the Hawks. Its like kicking someone when their down. I know the feeling, Im a Bills fan.

BaRRySandAmaN
06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I was completely shocked to see them take Larry Drew as their head coach. If I was a fan of the Hawks I would be confused and utterly pissed off right now.

fadedmario
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Isn't that Non-Hawks fans prediction every year? Last year's "pre-season rankings" most people didn't have the Hawks (instead having teams like Raps and Wiz:)) and it looked like they were the 3rd seed in the East. So......Haters until it happens.

I honestly don't hate the Hawks at all. I really have no problem with any NBA teams besides the ones in Detoit's division. I just think with the loss of JJ and a new coach, Atlanta could be one of the teams next year to really take a dive. Just an opinion.

Iodine
06-12-2010, 02:30 PM
What a ****ing horrible move by the management. I'm genuinely pissed off, we'll just get the same iso ******** every single play of every single game. This team is going absolutely nowhere. We'll make the playoffs next year, but lose in the 1st round. I can't wait until a half-decent owner buys the Hawks.

Your going to be waiting a while :p

*Silver&Black*
06-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I honestly don't hate the Hawks at all. I really have no problem with any NBA teams besides the ones in Detoit's division. I just think with the loss of JJ and a new coach, Atlanta could be one of the teams next year to really take a dive. Just an opinion.

I just quoted you so I can explain what I did. Nothing against you personally. It's cool. It was just about the whole "let's forget about the Hawks even exist" thing that goes on yearly.

I hope if JJ doesn't re-sign, that we can sign and trade him for something that includes some picks and not huge contracts of players trying to fill his shoes on the team.

ugafan
06-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Joe Johnson is so overrated it's funny.

A lineup of:

Bibby
Crawford
Williams
Smith
Horford

makes the playoffs easily in the east.

IversonIsKrazy
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
They were a LOT better off with Woodson.

slamfan4life
06-12-2010, 08:04 PM
trying to pull a phil jackson i see

MagicBucsSox
06-12-2010, 08:10 PM
YEAH! Hawks fired Mike Woodson for this. I'm so excited.:rolleyes:

exactly, Byron Scott still unemployed

JasonJohnHorn
06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
When Woodson first got the team it was in shambles, and they made steady improvements each season, and i know getting swept out of the playoffs two years in a row hurts, but the bottom line is Woodson helped get this team on the road to recovery and they never lost a playoff series they had home court in. Yes, they should have been able to knock the Bucks out in fewer games, and maybe they could have gotten a few more wins in the regular season, but to fire him and replace him with one of his own assistants? This just doesnt sound right.

I remember when the Pistons got to the conference finals and were swept by the Nets, Joe D. fired Carlisle even though he had helped get the team off the ground, but he did so in order to bring in a HOF coach in Larry Brown, which paid off because Detroit won the title. If the Hawks are going to fire a quality coach who helped build the team back up from cellar dwellar to potential contender, then it better be in order to bring in a coach that could bring them to the next level.

I dont want to pass judgement on Lerry Drew, because honestly, I dont know the guy. I know he was an assistant to Woodson, and I'm sure he's a great guy and all, but it just seems like a really odd move. If they were bringing in Doug Collins, or Lenny Wilkens, or Phil Jackson or Larry Brown, or somebody with a proven track record, I could understand this, but I'm just left scratching my head at this move.

Either way, good luck to Drew, hopefully he keep the Hawks on track.

ATL FAN IN SC
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
As long as Donald Sterling owns the Clippers the Hawks can never have the worst ownership..That being said the gap keeps getting closer on who is the worst owned.I am definitely not a Woodson supporter but you cant deny their improvement under his watch.I personally give a lot of credit to Billy Knight who took a lot of blame and made a few costly mistakes,but thats his team out there.What I see is that we just hired Woody lite. Not gona make anyone forget Red Auerbach thats for certain.I will always root for the Hawks,but DAMN.