PDA

View Full Version : Lou fires back at Stone in 5 minute rant (Video)

MrPoon
06-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Lous response to Stone (Video in link):

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/angry-piniella-answers-back-to-stones-critique.html

By Paul Sullivan

Lou Piniella came to the ballpark Friday clean-shaven and ready to rumble, taking on White Sox broadcaster Steve Stone for criticism of his handling of rookie Tyler Colvin.

"It's a tough situation," he said. "I know I get criticized for it. We've got a lot of people here that haven't managed and won any games in the big leagues, but they know everything. You know? They really do.

"I think they should try to put the uniform and try this job and see how they like it when they get criticized unjustly. That's all I've got to say about that issue. But you get tired of it. I'm trying to do the best job I possibly can and the only people I need to listen to are the people in my organization, that's it.

"But I get tired of being nitpicked and tired of being criticized unjustly. Why don't they talk to me first before they do it, OK, and get my viewpoints and my feelings and then make a determination. The same way that I get called ridiculous, they're ridiculous in the same way they report things, too."

The subject changed to Jake Peavy, but Piniella wasn't finished by a long shot.

"And another thing I'm going to say: I won over 1,800 games as a manager and I'm not a damn dummy, that I can tell you. There are only 13 other (managers) that have won more games than me. I guess I think I know what the hell I'm doing."

Asked which critics he was referring to, Piniella said: "Look, the media here in this town for the most part are really, really good, and I enjoy working with them. Especially the people that work with me on a day-to-day basis. But why should I be ... talk to me. Get my feelings, get my viewpoints, and then if you don't agree with me, say what you want. But at least give me the courtesy of defending myself and giving my explanations on why things are done or not done. That's all I ask. And that's only fair."

Did Piniella plan on talking to Stone, who is working today's game?

"I don't care about talking to him," he said. "I'm talking to you for them. But I'm tired of it.

"And Steve Stone? He's got enough problems doing what he does with the White Sox. What job has he had in baseball besides talking on television or radio? What has he done?

"Why isn't he a farm director and bring some kids around? Why isn't he a general manager, and put the uniform on and been a pitching coach? Why hasn't he been a field manager. There's 30 teams out there that could use a guy's expertise like that. I'm tired of some of these guys, I really am. Now that's it. Let's go to baseball."

flips333
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Steve Stone... I don't understand why everyone wants to polish his balls so much. He certainly has no business discussing the cubs cause he has no sense of objectivity when it comes them.

homestarunner93
06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
At least Lou got rid of the beard, he looks less like a senile, old drunk now anyways.

Jilly Bohnson
06-11-2010, 04:00 PM
God, both of them are such children.

ReJo
06-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Stoney was taking shots at Lou all game saying **** like "Lou has 1800 wins" and when Colvin came in to pinch hit and got a double he was saying "Lou deciding no one on and 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th was a good spot to use him"

Str1fe5
06-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I loved Stone's line "maybe he's upset because he was 3-14 against me with no RBIs"

:laugh2:

Seriously though, all Pinella can do is get Colvin some starts in RF more over Fukudome, because Byrd and Soriano are tearing the ball up this year. And Steve Stone is a blowhard. If you're a member of the media, Lou has a point, you have easy access to go talk to him about it and see how he defends it rather than just spouting off your opinion. It's a little different for us because we don't know these people, but when you are essentially professional colleagues with a guy, you would expect some courtesy. Steve Stone doesn't have an ounce of that in him, and he's had it out for the Cubs ever since he got fired.

Jilly Bohnson
06-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I loved Stone's line "maybe he's upset because he was 3-14 against me with no RBIs"

Seriously though, all Pinella can do is get Colvin some starts in RF more over Fukudome, because Byrd and Soriano are tearing the ball up this year. And Steve Stone is a blowhard. If you're a member of the media, Lou has a point, you have easy access to go talk to him about it and see how he defends it rather than just spouting off your opinion. It's a little different for us because we don't know these people, but when you are essentially professional colleagues with a guy, you would expect some courtesy. Steve Stone doesn't have an ounce of that in him, and he's had it out for the Cubs ever since he got fired.

Every time Lou does get questioned he just throws his hands up in the air and says something like "What am I supposed to do?"

Mell413
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I can understand where Lou is coming from. It's a tough situation since 4 of our best players have been OFs. Although Fukudome has struggled lately so he can get some starts over him. I'm not a fan of Piniella, but I'm with him on this.

Steve Stone really has to let this go. I felt bad for him when he got fired, but I regret feeling that way now. He manages to take shots at the Cubs whenever the opportunity presents itself. People should stop taking his opinion as gospel as well.

Ron!n
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
God, I quickly read the headline as Lou fired and my heart jumped a bit.

:sigh:

Eeyore
06-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Was that "Like A Prayer" by Madonna playing in the background of the video?

croce_99
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Every time Lou does get questioned he just throws his hands up in the air and says something like "What am I supposed to do?"

What kind of baseball do you play?

Dmac
06-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I can understand where Lou is coming from. It's a tough situation since 4 of our best players have been OFs. Although Fukudome has struggled lately so he can get some starts over him. I'm not a fan of Piniella, but I'm with him on this.

Steve Stone really has to let this go. I felt bad for him when he got fired, but I regret feeling that way now. He manages to take shots at the Cubs whenever the opportunity presents itself. People should stop taking his opinion as gospel as well.

Actually, he didn't get fired. He resigned. They told him he was welcome to come back, but after what happened, he didn't. I agree with you about he needs to let it go though. I used to like him, but I have lost all respect for him at this point. Any chance he gets to take a shot at the Cubs he does.

Dmac
06-11-2010, 06:24 PM
What kind of baseball do you play?

You watched the damn game!!

ReJo
06-11-2010, 06:41 PM
We went through this last year with Jake Fox.
Colvin reminds me of the backup quarterback on a team that's struggling. The most popular player on the team.
Who knows how good Colvin really is? You have 3 damn good outfielders in Fukudome, Byrd and Soriano and I'm not sure Colvin would have made much of a difference in terms of wins and losses.

Jack_Bauer
06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm glad someone fired back at Stone, such a pompous *** clown. Mind your own damn business Stoney.

4cubs
06-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Seriously though, all Pinella can do is get Colvin some starts in RF more over Fukudome, because Byrd and Soriano are tearing the ball up this year. And Steve Stone is a blowhard. If you're a member of the media, Lou has a point, you have easy access to go talk to him about it and see how he defends it rather than just spouting off your opinion. It's a little different for us because we don't know these people, but when you are essentially professional colleagues with a guy, you would expect some courtesy. Steve Stone doesn't have an ounce of that in him, and he's had it out for the Cubs ever since he got fired.Certainly one of them can play a position other than OF I would think.

Matchstckman
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
We went through this last year with Jake Fox.
Colvin reminds me of the backup quarterback on a team that's struggling. The most popular player on the team.
Who knows how good Colvin really is? You have 3 damn good outfielders in Fukudome, Byrd and Soriano and I'm not sure Colvin would have made much of a difference in terms of wins and losses.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this 100%

Milnertime
06-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah I pretty much agree with this 100%
Why is your GIF inverted?

That was a great episode, BTW.

TheBomb255
06-12-2010, 01:08 AM
I don't know if it's either Lou's fault, or if it's the Cubs originzation's fault, but someone has to be responsible here. There is absoutley no reason why Colvin isn't starting. When you have 5 OF'ers who are capable of starting, and you have 3 spots that you need to fill, what are you going to do? Kosuke should be traded or released (he is 33 years old, and Colvin can do a much better job) and you can't sit a 24 year old RF who has potential, you just can't.

So here's what you can do:

1. Trade/Release Kosuke. Start Colvin
2. Send Colvin down to AAA.

You have to go with #1 though because Colvin can produce at the major league level.

So I can't blame Lou for having 5 guys who can start, and has to have a rotation for all of them to get playing time.

toovey107
06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't know if it's either Lou's fault, or if it's the Cubs originzation's fault, but someone has to be responsible here. There is absoutley no reason why Colvin isn't starting. When you have 5 OF'ers who are capable of starting, and you have 3 spots that you need to fill, what are you going to do? Kosuke should be traded or released (he is 33 years old, and Colvin can do a much better job) and you can't sit a 24 year old RF who has potential, you just can't.

You have to go with #1 though because Colvin can produce at the major league level.

So I can't blame Lou for having 5 guys who can start, and has to have a rotation for all of them to get playing time.
1. Colvin would not do a better job.
2. Releasing Kosuke is absurd.
3. Our OF isn't the problem.

Matchstckman
06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Why is your GIF inverted?

That was a great episode, BTW.

The only way I could find it on YouTube so I'm like, whateva.

ggross
06-12-2010, 01:29 AM

Or if you're a losing organization, you just lean toward the older guys who make the most money. The young guys should not be trusted and will eventually get their chances anyway. **** Lou.

TheBomb255
06-12-2010, 01:32 AM
1. Colvin would not do a better job.

Kosuke: .278 AVG, 6 HR, 23 RBI, .372 OBP, .456 SLG (169 AB)
Colvin: .298 AVG, 6 HR, 16 HR, .358 OBP, .596 SLG (94 AB)

Colvin has just as many HR's and RBI's in 75 less at bat's. Colvin has a WAY higher SLG percentage, and his average is better.

Please explain how Colvin wouldn't do a better job then Kosuke?

toovey107
06-12-2010, 01:40 AM

Colvin has just as many HR's and RBI's in 75 less at bat's. Colvin has a WAY higher SLG percentage, and his average is better.

Ok I'll play.

1. Average means nothing, so nice try.
2. Kosuke has been leading off most of the year, once again ... nice try.
3. Colvin has a K rate over 30%.
4. Colvin has been extremely lucky at the plate. And yes I used luck.

Matchstckman
06-12-2010, 01:44 AM

The problem is, in my mind, if you bench Fukudome, who's going to consistently lead off. With the team we have now and the manager we have now, benching Fukudome means Ryan Theriot is going to be getting a ton of at bats.

ty_smitty21
06-12-2010, 02:42 AM
A couple things: first of all, Steve Stone has every right to talk about the Cubs when he gets invited to "chicago tribune live" and gets asked questions about the Cubs.

Secondly... is it REALLY that hard to let Colvin play everyday? I mean start him in left one day, center the next, and right the next few, and so forth. He could easily at least get 4-5 starts per week, and the other outfielders could still be playing in 75% of the games. That's fair to everyone, and it lets Colvin play.

At least Stone tells it like it is.. which is what got him fired from the Cubs in the first place.

I was glad to just see Lou show any kind of emotion too.

Doogolas
06-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Stone doesn't tell it like it is though. And no, you don't give Soriano and Byrd that many days off when they're hitting everything in site. That's absolutely insane.

Str1fe5
06-12-2010, 10:21 AM
There's no reason at all to freaking CUT Fukudome, at all. That's absurd. Colvin hasn't proven at all that he should just cause one of our OF to be a full time back up / that Colvin should start full time. He's hit well enough to get MORE PT. I would say you could give him 3-4 starts per week and see how he handles that. 1 start for Soriano per week, 1 start for Byrd per week, 1-2 starts for Fukudome per week. You know, like most teams rotate their 4th OF. Like Colorado does or liek the Rangers did with Byrd before he broke out the last year and a half.

Either that or get Colvin more regular PA in AAA. I have no problem trying to trade Fukudome at the deadline or in the off season, although I can't think of any good trade partners for him off the top of my head.

But anyone who thinks that what Lou is doing with Colvin is categorically insane is just overreacting.

BUD Bleachers
06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Blah, blah, blah...

Just win baseball games and we don't have this problem with people talking junk.

Yagyu+
06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Let's not forget about Sam Fuld. We should fighting over him. Constantly.

man man
06-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Lou is pissed, and about a hell of alot more than Stone.

As BUD Bleachers said, win some games and none of this will matter.

redwhitenblue
06-12-2010, 02:14 PM
So in 3 years when Colvin is still striking out at a ridiculous rate, has gone back to his inability to walk and pitchers adjust to his power stroke, people will be complaining that they miss the patient approach that Fukudome had.

4cubs
06-14-2010, 11:24 PM
So in 3 years when Colvin is still striking out at a ridiculous rate, has gone back to his inability to walk and pitchers adjust to his power stroke, people will be complaining that they miss the patient approach that Fukudome had.You are being absurd.

People will complain WAY before 3 years.

windycityD
06-15-2010, 12:40 AM
I really wanted and hoped that Lou would be the guy that got us to the top. He's not. Period. That said, he wont go softly in the night, but he sure as hell will go once the season is over and not a second before. Unless of course he quits.

bulldog312
06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
So in 3 years when Colvin is still striking out at a ridiculous rate, has gone back to his inability to walk and pitchers adjust to his power stroke, people will be complaining that they miss the patient approach that Fukudome had.

Well, that depends on where Fukudome's money ends up being spent.