PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe the Rondo Stopper?

shep33
06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Really Rondo has only played 1 good game this series, game 2, and that was with Kobe being in foul trouble.

I love Rondo, and I'm a Laker fan, but really he hasn't done much this series with Kobe on him.

What do you guys think?

Boston Faithful
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Really Rondo has only played 1 good game this series, game 2, and that was with Kobe being in foul trouble.

I love Rondo, and I'm a Laker fan, but really he hasn't done much this series with Kobe on him.

What do you guys think?

I think he's bound to explode for a really good game.

Raidaz4Life
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I think any above average defender can shut down Rondo. Rondo is extremely overrated considering all you have to do is force him into bad plays since he can't shoot the ball himself.

bostncelts34
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Kobe has done a good job on Rondo. But the way the Celtics work is whoever is hot that night go with it. Im sure Rondo will explode in one of the next few games. If not, Ray allen will with Fisher on him since Kobe is guarding our PG

bostncelts34
06-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I think any above average defender can shut down Rondo. Rondo is extremely overrated considering all you have to do is force him into bad plays since he can't shoot the ball himself.

So basically, your calling 99% of the pgs in this league bad defenders then, because Rondo pretty much has his way most nights with them.

JordansBulls
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM

What do you guys think?

I think it is a combo of that and the Lakers bigs as it is much tougher to get in the paint.

Chronz
06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Is Ray Allen the Kobe stopper, because Kobes only had 1 good game and it was when Ray Ray was in foul trouble.

Corey
06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Kobe IS playing good D on Rondo, but the Celtics aren't asking Rondo to score so far this series. Most of the game plans are centered around KG and Ray, because of supposed mismatches.

The coaching staff believes that Ray should be able to take advantage of Fisher, and that Garnett is quicker than Bynum and Gasol, so it's Rondo's job to make THAT happen right now.

DerekRE_3
06-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I saw Rondo blow a couple pretty open shots at the basket last night, his offense just seems a bit off. Probably a combination of that and Kobe.

Kakaroach
06-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah I remember Rondo missing a couple of lay-ups last night too. Kobe is a great defender but it also helps to have the three towers behind you playing defense.

ToldYa
06-11-2010, 03:03 PM
how so? by double teaming a celtic big or any other player and completely ignoring rondo until rondo takes it in the paint and blows past him or when rondo bricks an uncontested jumpshot with kobe nowhere near him and they call him a great defender :confused:

Raidaz4Life
06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
So basically, your calling 99% of the pgs in this league bad defenders then, because Rondo pretty much has his way most nights with them.

not necessarily, I'm saying they aren't playing him right. It really isn't that hard to guard a player that cannot shoot.

shep33
06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Is Ray Allen the Kobe stopper, because Kobes only had 1 good game and it was when Ray Ray was in foul trouble.

Allen's (both of them) are playing pretty good D on Kobe. Kobe shot the ball decently yesterday, and played a good game 1 offensively, and a very good game 3 defensively when he struggled. Didn't get into any flow in game 2 cause of the fouls. I think Tony Allen does a better job, but Kobe can't really get into the lane cause Sheed, KG, Davis, Perk are all waiting for him in helpside. He's almost forced to shoot jumpers, and he's missed some pretty easy ones that he usually makes.

I also think Kobe is getting tired, he handles the ball for them most of the time cause he has to initiate the offense, every game he's guarded Rondo, Pierce, or Allen for some pretty significant stretches. Chasing Ray Allen is tough to do, especially when Fish gets those early fouls and Kobe is forced to chase him. I think Bryant played the entire 2nd half yesterday too, he was dead tired at the end of the game, and Phil even talked about it in the presser.

I guess the same can go for Rondo and LA's bigs, but whenever Odom is in the game i'm surprised he didn't attack more. I just kinda expected more from Rondo, but still 3 games left.

shep33
06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
how so? by double teaming a celtic big or any other player and completely ignoring rondo until rondo takes it in the paint and blows past him or when rondo bricks an uncontested jumpshot with kobe nowhere near him and they call him a great defender :confused:

I think Kobe is a very smart defender, he's taking away Rondo's strengths and allowing Rondo to play with his weaknesses. He steps off him yes, but whenever Rondo starts to come to the paint he cuts him off, and credit Kobe for getting back in transition against Rondo, a lot of guys woulda just trotted back, but LA missed a lot of shots yesterday, and Boston's fast break wasn't that productive most of the game.

cmellofan15
06-11-2010, 03:16 PM
is Tony Allen the Kobe stopper?

ToldYa
06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I think Kobe is a very smart defender, he's taking away Rondo's strengths and allowing Rondo to play with his weaknesses. He steps off him yes, but whenever Rondo starts to come to the paint he cuts him off, and credit Kobe for getting back in transition against Rondo, a lot of guys woulda just trotted back, but LA missed a lot of shots yesterday, and Boston's fast break wasn't that productive most of the game.

thats not even tough defense ..play him straight up instead of giving him like 10 ft of space i dont get how thats lockdown defense:(

69centers
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Rondo has had a back injury all playoffs, and the fall in the final game of the ECF when he fell on his hip/glutes, has hindered his speed and play even further. He's nowhere near as quick as he was in the earlier rounds of the playoffs where he was playing 43 minutes. Now, he gets more rest.

Kobe's playing him ok, but that's not the real story as to why Rondo is not going off this series.

DerekRE_3
06-11-2010, 03:25 PM
thats not even tough defense ..play him straight up instead of giving him like 10 ft of space i dont get how thats lockdown defense:(

Playing Rondo straight up would be the dumbest thing you could do. Part of defense is playing smart and knowing your opponent. If a guy can't shoot, play his jumpshot. If a guy can't go left, overplay him to the right and make him go left, etc. Until Rondo can consistently make a jumper, teams are going to give him space, and rightfully so.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2010, 03:28 PM
its the Lakers length, which is keeping him out of the paint. And we all know the 17 footer is his kryptonite

ManRam
06-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I think it's more of the Celtics' game planning than anything else. They aren't really running the offense through him as much. It seems like they are more focused on getting it to Allen off of screens, isoing Pierce, and getting it to KG down low. In some of the earlier series it was all about Rondo, and he was the offense. The Celtics just feel that isn't the best way to attack the Lakers.

Give Kobe and Co. company (Kobe hasn't been guarding him exclusively), but a lot of it is game planning. Rondo just isn't looking to attack as much.

Rondo has also just been off. A lot of easy and makeable shots have been missed by him.

albertc86
06-11-2010, 03:29 PM

The same can be said about the other great PG's in the league; they have there way too every night.

ToldYa
06-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Playing Rondo straight up would be the dumbest thing you could do. Part of defense is playing smart and knowing your opponent. If a guy can't shoot, play his jumpshot. If a guy can't go left, overplay him to the right and make him go left, etc. Until Rondo can consistently make a jumper, teams are going to give him space, and rightfully so.

its being lazy not a lockdown defender ..why not cover someone like ray allen who is actually more of a threat from the perimeter and will cause u to work on d moreso than someone with a flat jumpshot

Mrphilly
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
The free throw line and back is the Rondo stopper, they have Kobe on Rondo so he can roam around and help. Other players. Its not great D at all, its smart, but not great. Rondo is so one dimensional that its not even funny.

shep33
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
its being lazy not a lockdown defender ..why not cover someone like ray allen who is actually more of a threat from the perimeter and will cause u to work on d moreso than someone with a flat jumpshot

Isn't it working though? He doesn't allow Rondo to get into the paint, and he gets back in transition stopping Rondo from getting to the cup. So would you rather have Kobe allow Rondo to score, by playing up tight? I don't get it?

Kobe actually does guard Allen a lot in the game 2, and does a very good job on him, and Pierce for that matter.

DerekRE_3
06-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Maybe Kobe has a coach who tells him who to guard at what time during the game? It's all about matchups. Maybe Phil wants Fisher on Allen instead of Rondo because Fisher doesn't have the footspeed to keep up with, even if he does play off of him. There's a ton of reasons why Kobe would be on Rondo at some point during a game, and not Allen. It all depends on the personnel on the floor and the matchups. I don't care who you are, you should play Rondo's jumper until he proves he can hit it.

JayAllDay
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
More like none of the 1s on that Laker team can stop Rondo, forcing Kobe to guard Rondo.

That's just me

Reversed86Curse
06-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Short answer- no; its a combination of things including having Kobe on him, but not exclusively Kobe

ToldYa
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Isn't it working though? He doesn't allow Rondo to get into the paint, and he gets back in transition stopping Rondo from getting to the cup. So would you rather have Kobe allow Rondo to score, by playing up tight? I don't get it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FyV09sdRhw

Kobe actually does guard Allen a lot in the game 2, and does a very good job on him, and Pierce for that matter.

first thing ray did was shoot a three in kobe's face and he wasnt able to take advantage of kobes lazy d in game 3 cuz he was off

sep11ie
06-11-2010, 04:00 PM
He just plays him smart, backs off of him and blocks the lane.

HouRealCoach
06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Rondo is just off cause he is getting good looks... Kobe hasnt done ****

xbrackattackx
06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Rondo has had a back injury all playoffs, and the fall in the final game of the ECF when he fell on his hip/glutes, has hindered his speed and play even further. He's nowhere near as quick as he was in the earlier rounds of the playoffs where he was playing 43 minutes. Now, he gets more rest.

Kobe's playing him ok, but that's not the real story as to why Rondo is not going off this series.

Yea cause Nate is going off for him, Cause Nate drives and doesn't miss shots 15 feet back or further 7-10 times. Rondo is a great distributor but they need him to score.

Bruno
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
It was lookin more like Rondo was the Kobe stopper with how many times he got pick pocketed...

Indi23
06-11-2010, 09:50 PM

What do you guys think?

The real question is Tony Allen the Kobe stopper?

avrpatsfan
06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I think it is a combo of that and the Lakers bigs as it is much tougher to get in the paint.
Agreed. The Lakers bigs are long and they can stop him but Kobe has played good D on Rondo. If Allen has a big 1st half you could see Kobe go back on Allen.

IversonIsKrazy
06-12-2010, 01:46 AM
HOnestly with Rondo, just sit right outside of the paint to guard him, don't let him come into the paint, and let him shoot as many open jumpers as he wants... its just that Kobe is the first person to finally do it.

basketfan4life
06-12-2010, 10:36 AM
this forum is crazy, when tony allen does good job on kobe,he is the kobe stopper,when kobe does good job on rondo(who owned the eastern conference by himself) there are tons of excuses for rondo and discrediting Kobe, i don't know what will people here tell when Kobe raises that trophy 5th time for his carrier,in 2 or 3 games.

Truheatfan
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM

i agree with everyhing except the extremely part rondo is pretty good expet for the shooting part so all a defender has to do is play the paint cuz hes not a good shooter

tr4shb0t
06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Yea I'd say it's more of the help defense and length of the Laker frontcourt that hurts Rondo.

Vee-Rex
06-12-2010, 11:47 AM
HOnestly with Rondo, just sit right outside of the paint to guard him, don't let him come into the paint, and let him shoot as many open jumpers as he wants... its just that Kobe is the first person to finally do it.

Umm, no he isn't the first person to do it.

Stop acting like Kobe's defense is genius. It's good but not genius. Countless others have played Rondo the same way.

ToldYa
06-12-2010, 12:53 PM
^ thank you.
people are giving kobe too much credit for nothing

unwantedplayer
06-12-2010, 01:28 PM
is Tony Allen the Kobe stopper?

stats have proved it..

Soxfan
06-12-2010, 01:49 PM
everyone says kobe, kobe, kobe...no credit is given to pau for his help D. Gasol has had a rediculous amount of blocks this series, many of them on rondo. The same thing happened against Orlando, rondo started pulling up short of the basket, afraid that he would get blocked by Howard. As much as I hate Gasol, I have to admit his help D is a lot better than i thought it was, and not one person has given him credit, only talk about Kobe's D which has been decent, but not great.

heathonater
06-12-2010, 03:20 PM
the lakers size down low has really made it more difficult for rondo to get those easy baskets in the lane.

sventhedog
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
kobe plays very good defense but being able to sag off rondo makes his job easier.

rondo has impressed me but against a good defensive team with length like the lakers, lack of a reliable jumpshot is too much of a weakness. i don't care if you are the best finisher around the basket. ask rondo, ask lebron if they can make dunks and layups against very good defense.

it's not just making you easier to defend but rondo is sort of hurting his team. you'll know this if you closely watch kobe, that's an instant double team for rondo's teamates.

sventhedog
06-12-2010, 04:09 PM
everyone says kobe, kobe, kobe...no credit is given to pau for his help D. Gasol has had a rediculous amount of blocks this series, many of them on rondo. The same thing happened against Orlando, rondo started pulling up short of the basket, afraid that he would get blocked by Howard. As much as I hate Gasol, I have to admit his help D is a lot better than i thought it was, and not one person has given him credit, only talk about Kobe's D which has been decent, but not great.

i agree with you about gasol but this is a "is kobe the rondo stopper?" thread. you would find more credits to gasol in the "is gasol the rondo stopper?" thread.

another thing is in a team defense, guards have to defend jumpshots or defend the lane so that big men have enough time to help or be in position to block the shot. so while gasol gets blocks, kobe is getting block assists if there is such a thing.

ElMarroAfamado
06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
not really, it doesnt take much to stop rondo.....
the perimeter is the rondo stopper

slamfan4life
06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
no one can stop rondo, his only fault is his ****** shooting

Hotone1401
06-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know if you can really say Kobe is the Rondo "stopper" but he does play really smart defense against him. The truth is that if Kobe were to try and pick up Rondo at half court, Rondo would just simply blow by him with ease. However, Kobe is one of the smartest and most disciplined defenders there are today and he consistently plays off of him and contests late on his jumpers so that he can control Rondo or dictate what he wants him to do.

The fact that Kobe has two 7-footers behind him helps tremendously but Kobe also deserves credit for the job he has done keeping Rondo out of the lane. I will say that Rondo has been the post-season MVP, along with maybe Gasol up to the Finals, but his numbers have gone down considerably against Kobe. So Kobe deserves credit for his "smart" defense on Rondo but you really can't say Kobe is or can shut him down. Rondo is just too quick for anybody to play too close to him.

sventhedog
06-13-2010, 05:10 AM
no one can stop rondo, his only fault is his ****** shooting

no one can stop him? but he can't shoot?

rondo has the smoothest shooting stroke. just don't make him shoot free throws??? lol.

ElMarroAfamado
06-13-2010, 05:13 AM
for anyone defending rondo....its a testament to how much he sucks when he cant just get layup after layup that NATE ROBINSON too so many minutes from him last game....
doc was probably like "damn atleast nate can make a shot"