PDA

View Full Version : Which Manager is Worse, Lou Pineilla or Ozzie Guillen?

Ron!n
06-11-2010, 01:02 PM
So with the Cubs - Sox series coming up who do you guys think is the worst Chicago Baseball manager?

I think id have to go with Ozzie on this one. As dumb as Lou is sometimes with lineups and bullpen use, at least hes not a hot head and doesnt say stupid things.

Jilly Bohnson
06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
So with the Cubs - Sox series coming up who do you guys think is the worst Chicago Baseball manager?

I think id have to go with Ozzie on this one. As dumb as Lou is sometimes with lineups and bullpen use, at least hes not a hot head and doesnt say stupid things.

Is this sarcasm?

Ron!n
06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Is this sarcasm?
Not really. Maybe before Pineilla was hot headed. But now he just sits in the dugout and does nothing.
And what stupid things has he said? As far as i can remember Lou's kept his cool to an extent around the media and hasnt bashed other teams and such,.

CubbieSteve
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
They are both horrible. But one can speak English and one can't, so Lou is better.

Yagyu+
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Voted Ozzie because of how hard he lobbied for a platoon DH. More specifically the players he wanted there:
Kotsay, Vizquel, etc...

Jilly Bohnson
06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Not really. Maybe before Pineilla was hot headed. But now he just sits in the dugout and does nothing.
And what stupid things has he said? As far as i can remember Lou's kept his cool to an extent around the media and hasnt bashed other teams and such,.

Oh, I thought you meant stupid as in unintelligent and not stupid as in sexist/offensive. Because half of what Lou says is f'ing ********.

And while he's not necessarily a hothead anymore since he's not yelling and screaming his *** off, he is still a hothead IMO just because he has such a propensity to panic. His ADHD style of managing is really awful.

1908_Cubs
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Can you imagine if somehow their streams crossed, like, Ghostbusters style? And instead of blow up a big Mr. Puff, they instead created a new living being named Ozzie Pineilla? Can you imagine the amount of suck of that thing?

No. You can't. It's off the chart. Your puny human brain cannot compute.

IRNMN
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I said Ozzie, I mean Lou was not a bad manager, but I think he's getting too old school for the game. Ozzie just makes some crazy calls that make anything that Lou has stupidly done with the Cubs seem harmless. Either way both sides of town would be better suited with out either managing in Chicago next season.

BDawk4Prez
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
They are both horrible. But one can speak English and one can't, so Lou is better.

You call that gibberish attempt at Lou speaking English?

Yagyu+
06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I like that Ozzie's career OBP is .287, he drew a career best 26 walks in 1990, and fell for the hidden ball trick twice.

Wackoman1
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah Ronin, what kind of baseball do you play?

poodski
06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I like that Ozzie's career OBP is .287, he drew a career best 26 walks in 1990, and fell for the hidden ball trick twice.

Piniella's career high was only 35 walks.

But his BA was higher than Ozzies OBP.

Yagyu+
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Oogaboogaboogaboo!

Kirel
06-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Sometimes it seems like teams preselect managers out of the least paitent possible players.

How many managers, of those that reached the majors, had a BB% above 8 and how many below? Anyone feel like doing teh research?

I wonder if you take that and take their team playstyle if there would be a correlation.

Ron!n
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Sometimes it seems like teams preselect managers out of the least paitent possible players.

How many managers, of those that reached the majors, had a BB% above 8 and how many below? Anyone feel like doing teh research?

I wonder if you take that and take their team playstyle if there would be a correlation.
Bruce Bochy has 67 career walks in 9 seasons :laugh2:

toovey107
06-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Atlanta Braves : Bobby Cox 3B - played two seasons (one full time) small sample size.

490 PA - 41BB = 8.4%
229 PA - 34 BB = 14.9

719 total = 10.4%

New York Mets : Jerry Manuel SS/2B - only played in 96 games over a 5 yr stint back and forth.

142 total PA - 10 BB = 7%

Philadelphia Phillies : Charlie Manuel LF - played in 6 seasons, once again small sample size. Most PAs was his rookie year when he tallied a whopping 194 where he accumulated 28 BB

432 total PA - 40 BB = 9.3%

Chicago Cubs : Lou Pinella LF - played in 18 seasons, over 6300 PAs ... never a season over 9% BB rate.

6362 total PA - 368 BB = 5.8%

St.Louis Cardinals : Tony LaRussa IF - another really small sample size. Only recorded over 100 PA once in his 6 year career.

203 total PA - 23 BB = 11.3%

Milwaukee Brewers : Ken Macha 3B - Once again, another small sample size. Accumulated a little less than 500 PA over his 6 year career, mainly as a platoon/PH.

425 total PA - 39 BB = 9.2 %

Cincinnatti Reds : Dusty Baker OF - finally a very large sample size (19 seasons). Played full time from the age of 23 to 34. During this time his walk rate seem to fluctuate. Had a BB rate of 11.8, 10.8,9.6 but also ones including 6.7 and 6.6 during that span. His last 3 seasons with more limited playing time he had a percentage at or well above 10%.

Overall 8021 PA - 762 BB = 9.5 %

Pittsburg Pirates : John Russell C/LF - 13th pick in the 1982 amateur draft, never really amounted to much. Best season was in 93' where he totaled a marvelous OPS of .744.

1189 total PA - 84 BB = 7.1 %

Houston Astros :Brad Mills 3B/PH - LHB that didn't ever get any real playing time. Only played in 106 games over 4 season. Small sample size, yet again.

184 PA - 14 BB = 7.6%

Arizona Diamondbacks : AJ Hinch C. Again small sample size.

1075 PA = 6.6%

Colorado Rockies : Jim Tracy ex cub. Small sample size.

213 PA - 25 BB = 11.7%

Los Angeles Dodgers : Joe Torre 1B/3B - all star who played in 18 seasons.

8801 PA - 779 BB = 8.9%

San Francisco Giants : Bruce Bochy C - played in 9 seasons with Houston, Mets, and the SDP. Didn't play too much but not known for taking a walk either.

881 PA - 67 BBs = 7.6%

San Diego Padres : Bud Black Pitcher.

Very small sample sizes all around, only Torre, Pinella, and Baker have significant playing time under their belt. Pinella being the goat of those 3. Only one pitcher though, found that interesting. And only 1 team that didn't have any MLB playing time Fredi Gonzales and then there's Jim Rigglemen(minor league player). For the most part, National League managers are reject players who couldn't cut it. I would expect much of the same in the AL.

I got bored so this is only the National league, but overall not many seem to be all that patient of hitters :laugh2:

Baker, probably being the most eager to take a walk (not saying much) and he's known for not liking to "clog up the bases" :laugh:

Tufnel_11
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow! I can't believe how close this is. I'm a Cubs fan and even I voted for Lou Pineilla.

man man
06-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I think they're both all right managers, Ozzie just needs to shut the hell up sometimes. The guy has no inner monologue.

Tufnel_11
06-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I think they're both all right managers, Ozzie just needs to shut the hell up sometimes. The guy has no inner monologue.

I think he has plenty of voices in his head! :laugh: