PDA

View Full Version : Dunking Tips or Advice??

raps14
06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Not sure if anyone can help me but I was just wondering if someone give me tips on how to dunk better, or what I should do differently. I am 17 years old 6'6 about 200 pounds and just recently started dunking. I need to be able to dunk in games for next year to you think this will be possible?...

Any tips or advice would be of great help.

Thanks

Link: I hope I'm allowed to post this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzyLXxx7zKE
:cool::clap:

JNA17
06-11-2010, 12:56 PM
i remember watching something on T.V. that if you train jumping by wearing something really heavy on your feet like shoes made out of a heavy rock, then your vertical will get much higher and your dunks will get better.

i hope that's somewhat helpful

NaccAttack11
06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Here's a tip: If you post a video on YouTube saying My DunkSSSSS, you should have more than just one type of dunk :D

Hawkeye15
06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
plyometrics. Look it up

gwrighter
06-11-2010, 01:01 PM
if you wanna improve your vert you have to engage in Speed and Agility training. There are various programs that float around the net. The most common is Air Alert. You can prob search some vids on youtube of random drills that you can do to increase your foot speed and explosiveness. Also work on your handles cuz your gonna have to cross someone up before you jam on em'.

NY-SportsFan
06-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I am 5'11/6'0. I cant palm a basketball. But I can clear the rim and dunk a volleyball pretty easily.

Wearing ankle weights can help you get a little higher jump. I dont really know what advice you are looking for. Unless you have tremendous leaping ability, you really cant do fancy dunks.

JNA17
06-11-2010, 01:03 PM
if you wanna improve your vert you have to engage in Speed and Agility training. There are various programs that float around the net. The most common is Air Alert. You can prob search some vids on youtube of random drills that you can do to increase your foot speed and explosiveness. Also work on your handles cuz your gonna have to cross someone up before you jam on em'.

that and you have to be able to hold the ball while being up in the air. It seems a lot of players today have some trouble in getting a good grip of the ball while their in the air. Although that could be the lack of hand size but just a thought.

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Here's a tip: If you post a video on YouTube saying My DunkSSSSS, you should have more than just one type of dunk :D

Dunks... as in Plural

(More than 1)

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Keep the tips coming dudes

gwrighter
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
that and you have to be able to hold the ball while being up in the air. It seems a lot of players today have some trouble in getting a good grip of the ball while their in the air. Although that could be the lack of hand size but just a thought.

yeah its the hand size. being able to palm the ball makes it tremendously easier to dunk. if you can't palm you need an extra 4-6 inches on your vert.

superkegger
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
jump high

gwrighter
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
you know what, if you work on that corner J this summer and can stick it like 50% of the time then your defenders next year are going to start anticipating it. with an easy up fake, dribble then 2 step you could jam on em exactly like you do in your video.

ballpd05
06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I am 5'8" and I can dunk. What I did was do alot of quick jumping exercises (like touching the backboard of vertical over and over without gathering) as well as calf raises and squats.

Core muscle strength is also important in dunking and being explosive.

And the most popular are the ankle weights and strength shoes that help strengthen your legs by basically making you work out doing regular activities.
Be wary of wearing weights though because they put alot of pressure on your knees.

Dunking on people is as much about being explosive as it is about getting high of the ground all of these tips help explosiveness.

I am just 5'8" so my game dunks few and far between. But I've caught one or two ppl slipping in my life lol.

thescore53
06-11-2010, 01:14 PM
if your 6''6 and cant dunk you have problems.... and also by that video i can tell you arent very good at basketball..

JNA17
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
if your 6''6 and cant dunk you have problems.... and also by that video i can tell you arent very good at basketball..

I'm 6'4 but i'm gonna work on my vertical this summer since i can only barley dunk.

superkegger
06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
A couple more pointers:

Cut your hair, you look like a girl. And since so few girls can dunk, looking less like a *****, will help you dunk better.

Adding sweet rap music to your video will make you dunk better. I've found that Lil Wayne or Rick Ross really help people dunk better.

thephoenixson28
06-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Do some power cleans, box jumps, and some squats. Buy some jump soles(I think that's what they are called). Don't buy ankle weights, cuz they will make you run faster, and jump higher but your ankles would snap like a twig.

sep11ie
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I'd try another sport, I'm pretty sure the WNBA is almost dead.

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM

How so?

I was MVP of my Highschool team this year, And I played on one of the top teams my age group and canada.

14Boards,12pts,3blks per game.

And I started playing in grade 10... 2 years ago.

Lets see your vids.

Kdirt
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
plyometrics. Look it up

Yes, this is what you need, look it up on youtube and if cant find out enough info then buy a DVD. here is a guy that swears by it, and you can see why... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G-mUVGD720

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
A couple more pointers:

Cut your hair, you look like a girl. And since so few girls can dunk, looking less like a *****, will help you dunk better.

Adding sweet rap music to your video will make you dunk better. I've found that Lil Wayne or Rick Ross really help people dunk better.

lol will do.

My coach made fun of my hair all year:facepalm:

sep11ie
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
And your video kinda reminded me of Uncle Rico on Napoleon Dynomite.

Kdirt
06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
How so?

I was MVP of my Highschool team this year, And I played on one of the top teams my age group and canada.

Lets see your vids.

i can tell your kind of stiff, but your young, so if you work hard you'll be okay. start doing core training, get your abbs and lower back stronger, it will make you more agile and quicker.

work on explosion, plyometrics will get you there, also do high rep squats and burst on each repetition. your white, just like me, we need to do these things to play ball effectively.

td0tsfinest
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Work on your jumping mechanics. No offense but you have an awkward look to your jump.

Work on your legs. Not just your calves, hamstrings and quads are important as well. Since your in high school and summer is right around the corner you should try Air Alert. Otherwise, you could always do simple exercises like Toe Raises (w/ Weights), Jumping Rope, Squats, etc.

If you want some really good advice, try posting this in the Fitness forum, you'll get better responses (I'm reading a lot of immature stuff).

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Work on your jumping mechanics. No offense but you have an awkward look to your jump.

Work on your legs. Not just your calves, hamstrings and quads are important as well. Since your in high school and summer is right around the corner you should try Air Alert. Otherwise, you could always do simple exercises like Toe Raises (w/ Weights), Jumping Rope, Squats, etc.

If you want some really good advice, try posting this in the Fitness forum, you'll get better responses (I'm reading a lot of immature stuff).

Thanks for your mature responsen. My jump does look awkward, I started BBall 2 years ago and I have gotten way way better since then. I have played High level rep AAA hockey my whole life and Im a good athlete, I just need some drills and crap.

Thanks for the advice Ill posty this in the fitness forum later on.:)

Klivlend
06-11-2010, 01:40 PM
A lot of the high flyers say 'get your core right'. So do that, and squats

td0tsfinest
06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your mature responsen. My jump does look awkward, I started BBall 2 years ago and I have gotten way way better since then. I have played High level rep AAA hockey my whole life and Im a good athlete, I just need some drills and crap.

Thanks for the advice Ill posty this in the fitness forum later on.:)

It definitely shows that you just started playing ball. You should really work on your dribbling as well.

Can you only dunk from that side? :eyebrow:

td0tsfinest
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
A couple more pointers:

whats wrong with Akon? He's pretty dope.

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Nope both sides, and I can dunk with 2 hands as well.

Also I just started being able to dunk right under the net with no running start.

Mplsman
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Altitude drops. < the best! Also before going to bed and after waking up in the morning jump as high as u can 10 times.

thescore53
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
How so?

Lets see your vids.

you just dont seem that impressive. what position do you play ?? i feel like me and the kids in my school would dominate you

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I play PF or C, My best skills are on D. So Im trying to get a better offensive game.

mikedesi1004
06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
i wish i was 6'6...smh..but you need to do plyometrics and abs exercises..you need a solid core to be good in any sport..good luck bro

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks!

Im 6`7 with my shoes :P

thescore53
06-11-2010, 01:53 PM
it'll be funny if you got a steal and tried to dunk and get rim stuffed lol

thescore53
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
6'7 thats pretty tall, you should have no problem dunking.

raps14
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I can dunk. did you see the vid, I just neet to be able to dunk good in games lol.

Its alot harder

Da Knicks
06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
The whole adding weight could hurt you down the road kid you need to make sure your ankles and knees are strong. Extra weight as ankle weights is really bad for you best thing to do is work your legs run on a thread mill on an incline and ride a bike. Remember keeping your weight down helps alot if its muscle or fat i can hindure your performance because of weight.

Da Knicks
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
comon guy thats not necessary

magichatnumber9
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Plyometrics and Stadium steps. Also you have to go out and practice dunking. Use a tennis ball and work your way up.

Sadds The Gr8
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
yo I heard if you run and jump in ankle weights that it messes up the ligaments in your ankle, and you're only supposed to walk in them

thescore53
06-11-2010, 02:13 PM
don't do air alert. it will exhaust you and you'll end up like tmac when you get older

Sadds The Gr8
06-11-2010, 02:16 PM

I think if you're 6'4 and up, u should be able to dunk easily.

raps14
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Plyometrics and Stadium steps. Also you have to go out and practice dunking. Use a tennis ball and work your way up.

Why use a tennis ball, I can dunk a basketball, I just need to dunk better. So I will be able to dunk in games for next season.

dougie5627
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
im a strenght and conditioning coach, you need to do plyometrics and hit the weights room, like others said box jumps board taps etc but you need someone to ensure you are doing it right, you need to do core exercises and also footwork, half of jumping is getting the right footwork. work the chain for a jump- tight core- first trigger is the gluets then hamgstrings then calfs in that order, i say this as a basketball player you will more than likely have over developed quads keep them developing but get the other parts up.

thescore53
06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
yea you need to improve your foot work. you defeniately enough height and ups to dunk

raps14
06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Thats Interesting, Thanks Dougie

dougie5627
06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
look up compound exercises, read about plyometrics (google books or scholar otherwise unreliable) and i am unsure of high schools in america but make sure you have a qualifed person to check your form. doing things incorrectly can have a negative impact especially mentally, if you arent getting the results you want you wont want to train so stay motivated. check up 5x5 training you will need to up your strenght as well as power

boriquaabe
06-11-2010, 03:37 PM
One thing I know for certain Don't use ankle weights BUT you could get in a pool and do some jumping drills.

still1ballin
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
i thought that was adam morrison

thescore53
06-11-2010, 04:16 PM

hahaah but i think this guy has more basketball skills

Iodine
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Cover you body in cocoa butter and repeat the star spangled banner backwards 5 times in different voice tones

raps14
06-11-2010, 04:32 PM

LOL:speechless::clap:

Da Knicks
06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
lmao oh man thats coooold!

raps14
06-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Do any of you guys have dunking Vids?

I would like to see them if so.

dtmagnet
06-11-2010, 05:03 PM
You should forget about dunking and start working on your passing because you have hair like Steve Nash.

magichatnumber9
06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Why use a tennis ball, I can dunk a basketball, I just need to dunk better. So I will be able to dunk in games for next season.Just to experiment first and build confidence in the new dunks you will attempt. I am getting ready for my season now. Good luck and train hard. Oh the tennis ball is also keeps you from getting fatigued faster.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm 6'4 but i'm gonna work on my vertical this summer since i can only barley dunk.

I'm 6'4 also and can just to a regular one hand dunk

but I'm a really good shooter and finisher around the rim

The Prodigy
06-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Im only 5'7 and can almost dunk the ball. I get close with a volleyball and can do it with a tennis ball. Im a Junior at my HS and I'll be able to dunk I think by the end of the summer, definitely if I can grow an inch or two. My family is kinda tall and I haven't hit my growth spurt yet. I play ball everyday and I'm not white so I cant shoot the three well unless I catch fire lol but finish easily anything within the freethrow line. And my passing is good. I didn't play for the school though because I had an F in my AP Chemistry class.

xbrackattackx
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I am laughing at the guys talking all this noise. Bet they can't even dunk. What toolbags.

xbrackattackx
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
A couple more pointers:

I'd try another sport, I'm pretty sure the WNBA is almost dead.

Then Don't Watch.

ChiSox219
06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I'd do some pretty dirty things to be 6'6

iFYouSeekAmy
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm 5'7 and I can't dunk. :shrug:

But I can hang onto the rim without the ball, though. :clap:

PrettyBoyJ
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Im bout 6'3 1/2 and I was dunking wen I played HS ball.. I did a variety of workouts, some basic things are jumping rope.. really gives your legs a good work out believe it or not.. If you lift weights or go to the gym I would suggest Dumbbell lunges, leg press, squatting.. and running is good to stay in shape and lose your body fat it will make getting up there very easy..

raps14
06-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I am laughing at the guys talking all this noise. Bet they can't even dunk. What toolbags.

Yup... Its easy to talk ****, But if you have nothing to back it up... jokes on you boy's:clap:

raps14
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I'd do some pretty dirty things to be 6'6

:dance:LOL

Wilson
06-11-2010, 10:07 PM
This thread has a lot of off-topic and borderline baiting posts, and like someone said is better suited to the Health and Fitness Forum (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=446). I hope you get useful results there, for now I'm going to have to close this one.