PDA

View Full Version : Kobe 5 for 19 (26.6%) when Tony Allen guards him

69centers
06-11-2010, 09:14 AM
"I think he steps on his right really well, makes him go left and keeps on the floor instead of getting up [in the air] on the pump fakes," Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson said. "He does a good job of that."

"He does a great job," Bryant said. "He plays hard, he competes and he's a good solid defender. I'm enjoying it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5274697

Great D by Tony Allen. He just has to learn he should only play on the defensive end, as some of his offensive series' look ugly.

Kobe also said he can get his shot anytime he wants, but I wouldn't call 5 of 19 anytime you want.

Overall, the Boston D is holding him to around 40% from the field, just like in '08 and not like his 50% efforts in the last two rounds of the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Allen has done a great job on Kobe, but Kobe has missed 4-5 point blank looks too. They will start falling. Or at least I assume they will with the way Kobe has been shooting long jumpers over the past 3 weeks

ManRam
06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I kind of disagree with Hawkeye. Sure, he missed a few open ones (the Celtics missed far more, and double digit easy attempts at the rim), but he's been taking bad shots.

Kobe really hasn't been able to get to the hoop much most of this series, settling for difficulty shots. He is shooting less than 41% from the field this series. That's not good. He is the tough-shot master, without a doubt...but he can get better shots. Even Kobe isn't going to sink all those tough threes consistently...and that's the only reason it looked like he had a good game. Barring two three point bursts, he was bad last night.

Tony was amazing on him (terrible on offense though). But Kobe has to step it up. He's not shooting well, he's averaging 4.25 TOs to 4.5 assists and 4 fouls. He's got to play smarter.

Kakaroach
06-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Allen has done great, and Kobe has struggled. But Kobe needs some other people to step up big time. Odom has been a non-factor, Bynum was hobbling, and the bench hasn't done much either.

Not taking credit away from Allen because he's done a good as job as Kobe as someone can, but Kobe needs help too.

avrpatsfan
06-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I kind of disagree with Hawkeye. Sure, he missed a few open ones (the Celtics missed far more, and double digit easy attempts at the rim), but he's been taking bad shots.

Kobe really hasn't been able to get to the hoop much most of this series, settling for difficulty shots. He is shooting less than 41% from the field this series. That's not good. He is the tough-shot master, without a doubt...but he can get better shots. Even Kobe isn't going to sink all those tough threes consistently...and that's the only reason it looked like he had a good game. Barring two three point bursts, he was bad last night.

Tony was amazing on him (terrible on offense though). But Kobe has to step it up. He's not shooting well, he's averaging 4.25 TOs to 4.5 assists and 4 fouls. He's got to play smarter.
Agreed with all of this.

king4day
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I hate when Bryant says, "I'm enjoying it"....please, he's making Kobe struggle. Challenge or not, no one likes when they're thrown off their game like that.

Avenged
06-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I hate when Bryant says, "I'm enjoying it"....please, he's making Kobe struggle. Challenge or not, no one likes when they're thrown off their game like that.

Kobe's a competitor, he likes the challenge, he's always been that way.

But even if that wasn't the case, Kobe isn't going to come out and admit it to give Tony an extra boost of confidence.

SouljahPhil...
06-11-2010, 10:03 AM

Kobe has the history of loving it..He loves the challenge..that's why their superstars..They find ways to adjust in the next games.

drobe86
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Ol Tony Allen locking kobe up. I'm not surprised ever since I saw Deshawn Stevenson lock him up in April. Kobe is just a guy now, and I've been saying that for the better part of the last half of the season. He's really showing his age....

RipVW
06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
If Boston ends up winning this series and Tony Allen continues to do that, they have to consider him for MVP, considering Boston hasnt really had any consistent contributors elsewhere.

Unruly Fan
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Kobe also said he can get his shot anytime he wants, but I wouldn't call 5 of 19 anytime you want.

^Yup.

Kobe tried to be a hero last night. It's one thing when one has to be a hero. But when you have as many scoring threats as the Laker's do that tomfoolery is un-needed.

m26555
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
If Boston ends up winning this series and Tony Allen continues to do that, they have to consider him for MVP, considering Boston hasnt really had any consistent contributors elsewhere.
Glen Davis.

magichatnumber9
06-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Big Baby has been a constant player this series. I would of thought winning a championship your rookie season would spoil you, but not Glen Davis.

Reversed86Curse
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Tony Allens D had been great. It was great to see the bench come out and take over last night. It was also great to hear the starters telling Doc to leave them in w/ the way they were playing, great team effort

RipVW
06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Glen Davis.

Meh. I havent really been that impressed until last night.

BTW, I think Big Baby found something last night. You hear a lot of commentators harping on how he only did well when Bynum went out. This is partly true but it also seemed like he started using the rim to screen the taller Lakers from blocking him. Im talking about going under the basket and laying it up on the other side. This prevents Bynum/Gasol/Odom from blocking him. If Bynum is standing right there on the other side of the basket, it becomes more difficult but its also going to be there sometimes.

RipVW
06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Tony Allens D had been great. It was great to see the bench come out and take over last night. It was also great to hear the starters telling Doc to leave them in w/ the way they were playing, great team effort

Yeah, the bench giving them the game last night makes me think the Celtics have a better chance now. It was seeming like an uphill struggle. The play of the big 4 has been so small overall this series that it seemed like an uphill struggle even if you got a big game from 2 of the big 4 on the same night--theyve been so few and far between.

Itll be interesting though. Phil is not to be taken lightly.

ldc62
06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Its still a small sample...

gangis2169
06-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Allen has done a great job on Kobe, but Kobe has missed 4-5 point blank looks too. They will start falling. Or at least I assume they will with the way Kobe has been shooting long jumpers over the past 3 weeks

Oh boy here we go with another Kobe stopper thead. Lol Please Tony Allen fouls more than anything and they are gonna call it cause Artest had been fouling Pierce in the first 3 games. Both of the teams best all around players have had misrable shooting performances.

Agar81
06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh boy here we go with another Kobe stopper thead. Lol Please Tony Allen fouls more than anything and they are gonna call it cause Artest had been fouling Pierce in the first 3 games. Both of the teams best all around players have had misrable shooting performances.

:facepalm: You still say this after Kobe and Phil praise him for his work on D...

Avenged
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Tony Allen has done a phenomenal job on Kobe but he won't win MVP just for defense. He needs the numbers as well.

Chronz
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
What do you mean only play on defense? You want him to never cross half court?

ballpd05
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Stop hating. There is a reason why Kobe is struggling and alot of it has to do with Tony Allen and Ray Allen's defense, that and a great scheme.

mikantsass
06-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Not to take anything away from TA because he has done a fantastic job on Wade and Lebron, but Kobe is in "me mode" right now. It is easier to defend Kobe when he is selfish and just chucks up shots

BkOriginalOne
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I want Boston to win the series.
Allen has been playing solid D.
But it's Kobe Bryant, who cares if he is shooting like that, don't act like he can't break out and go for 40 in one of these remaining games.

JordansBulls
06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5274697

Great D by Tony Allen. He just has to learn he should only play on the defensive end, as some of his offensive series' look ugly.

Overall, the Boston D is holding him to around 40% from the field, just like in '08 and not like his 50% efforts in the last two rounds of the playoffs.

Tony Allen is "the Kobe Stopper"

showtym24
06-11-2010, 12:28 PM

LMAO at the picture. I was thinking the same exact thing last night when they kept showing it.

showtym24
06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Ron Artest= Paul "the rat" Pierce stopper. Shooting at what a 37 percent clip. 18 in the first half's.

pacofunk64
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
No way. Glenn Davis has been very key to this series.

Glen Davis.
x2

pacofunk64
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
One thing to watch for. Kevin Garnett can not grab a rebound if his life depended on it. He has given the Lakers at least another 10 shots thru 4 games. He keeps tipping the damn ball instead of grabbing it.

showtym24
06-11-2010, 12:50 PM
One thing to watch for. Kevin Garnett can not grab a rebound if his life depended on it. He has given the Lakers at least another 10 shots thru 4 games. He keeps tipping the damn ball instead of grabbing it.

Age. Catches up to everyone.

Corey
06-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Kobe's the perfect matchup for Tony. Because of size, he's much more adequate to defend Kobe than he was Lebron.

He should get a fat check this summer just for this series because everyone now sees that he can defend the league's two best players.

fresh prince
06-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Ol Tony Allen locking kobe up. I'm not surprised ever since I saw Deshawn Stevenson lock him up in April. Kobe is just a guy now, and I've been saying that for the better part of the last half of the season. He's really showing his age....

LMFAO!

Have you watched any of this post season?

DJ CHACH
06-11-2010, 01:03 PM
this reminds me of the raja bell kobe stopper a few years back..kobe will put on a show specifically on tony allen soon, just be prepared

showtym24
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Kobe's the perfect matchup for Tony. Because of size, he's much more adequate to defend Kobe than he was Lebron.

He should get a fat check this summer just for this series because everyone now sees that he can defend the league's two best players.

Who ever gives him the MLE or dare i say more, should be taken too the woods in shot in the face. Kinda like the jeffries knicks deal. When he did an ok job on lebron in a series and they gave him a boat load of money.

showtym24
06-11-2010, 01:11 PM
LMFAO!

That guy just says things to get people's attention. Dont mind him. He's still buthurt about his mavs getting embarassed.

topdog
06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
-You knew it wasn't going to be the best night for Kobe when his first shots were insanely difficult and ridiculous.

-Ray's done a great job, but the overall defense hasn't been as good with the Boston starters.

-The Lakers need to get Gasol the ball more. He's shooting friggin' 60%! Inside or outside, his height and touch are giving him a major edge.

-The Laker's bigs drawing so much attention and their spacing has really helped them rebound, but Davis is being smart and using the old-fashioned block-out. Oh, and he pretty much owns Lamar Odom.

-Tony Allen plays so recklessly on offense and has terrible ball-handling skills. If the Lakers play it right, they can be playing defense 5-on-4.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
if Bynum is not playing, when Gasol goes out, Boston is way to strong for the Lakers backups.

Tragedy
06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL...What?

Anyways, Tony Allen does a great job on defense. I'm glad some people are recognizing that. But as others have said, other Lakers have to show up beside Gasol and Kobe.

mia305king
06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I've been really impressed with Allen, he did a great job on Wade as well.

hugepatsfan
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Meh. I havent really been that impressed until last night.

BTW, I think Big Baby found something last night. You hear a lot of commentators harping on how he only did well when Bynum went out. This is partly true but it also seemed like he started using the rim to screen the taller Lakers from blocking him. Im talking about going under the basket and laying it up on the other side. This prevents Bynum/Gasol/Odom from blocking him. If Bynum is standing right there on the other side of the basket, it becomes more difficult but its also going to be there sometimes.

That's the main reason he has been able to get his shot off despite being so short. He does a great job of that.

NBAfan4life
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I love kobe, but he has to turn down the degree of difficulty a little in the shots he is choosing to take. I know he can make them I have seen him do it his whole career. The D on him has been excellent, but some of it is his shot selection as much as the D.

BTW Kobe and the Lakers are still my fav and I will live with whatever shots he chooses I just hope he chooses a few easier shots in this crucial game 5 coming up.

shep33
06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I think a lot of yesterday misses for kobe down the stretch were him being dead tired. He didn't sit at all in the 2nd half, and a lot of the time he got switched on Ray Allen chasing him around when Fisher picked up his 4th.

He tired to me, I still think he played well, everyone will look at the turnovers and be like he sucked yesterday, but when the ball isn't in his hand the lakers have no offense, he creates everything for LA.

Chronz
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
LMFAO!

Well yea, he looked human vs the only team that defends at a similar level to Boston, only you throw in 2 bigs at all times. Then he completely shreds the 2 teams that lacked any sort of defensive mentality. And is now playing solid-good basketball by his standards.

I agree hes not showing slippage, hes just showing us weaknesses, every player has one. In his youth it was Kobes lack of awareness, before then his shooting range.

JordanPippen
06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
hypothetically speaking, if glen davis wins the finals MVP, would that make him the first player two win that award off the bench?

albertc86
06-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Don't get me wrong --- Allen's defense has been great but Kobe's shooting hasn't been that great either. Allen is playing like a disciplined defender by not jumping at Kobe's pump fakes, but as others have alluded to, Kobe has missed open shots which is uncharacteristic.

RipVW
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
this reminds me of the raja bell kobe stopper a few years back..kobe will put on a show specifically on tony allen soon, just be prepared

Im not saying Kobe wont have a good game but its not like Phoenix and Boston are the same.

69centers
06-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I think a lot of yesterday misses for kobe down the stretch were him being dead tired. He didn't sit at all in the 2nd half, and a lot of the time he got switched on Ray Allen chasing him around when Fisher picked up his 4th.

He tired to me, I still think he played well, everyone will look at the turnovers and be like he sucked yesterday, but when the ball isn't in his hand the lakers have no offense, he creates everything for LA.

Right, when he's hitting 3's and making sour puss faces back at Tony Allen, he's fine, but when Tony stuffs him, he's dead tired. Great way to make excuses. Sorry, but I saw Kobe making twists, turns, and drives toward the basket as quick as he usually does, and even with a more intense effort with it being the 4th quarter. Call it what you want, but I call it great defense.

still1ballin
06-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Right, when he's hitting 3's and making sour puss faces back at Tony Allen, he's fine, but when Tony stuffs him, he's dead tired. Great way to make excuses. Sorry, but I saw Kobe making twists, turns, and drives toward the basket as quick as he usually does, and even with a more intense effort with it being the 4th quarter. Call it what you want, but I call it great defense.

oh the irony:rolleyes:

shep33
06-11-2010, 03:43 PM

I ain't saying its not great defense, but towards the end of the 4th I think Kobe's shots were flat, thats just my opinion though. The guy played the entire 2nd half, with different people covering him, and I still think he's yet to adjust to Tony Allen. Allen is playing excellent D, but at the same time I wouldn't call Allen a Kobe stopper when he's only defended 19 shots against him.

Agree with you though, that Allen is playing very good D right now though.

D Roses Bulls
06-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Tony Allen is the Kobe stopper!!!!!

I wonder how many laker fans will think im serious and start exploding?

Reversed86Curse
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Ron Artest= Paul "the rat" Pierce stopper. Shooting at what a 37 percent clip. 18 in the first half's.

Artest plays him tough, but Paul has been hot and cold all playoffs

69centers
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I ain't saying its not great defense, but towards the end of the 4th I think Kobe's shots were flat, thats just my opinion though. The guy played the entire 2nd half, with different people covering him, and I still think he's yet to adjust to Tony Allen. Allen is playing excellent D, but at the same time I wouldn't call Allen a Kobe stopper when he's only defended 19 shots against him.

Agree with you though, that Allen is playing very good D right now though.

That's how many he's taken. This doesn't take into account how many times he had to give it up without shooting. That's not a measurable stat.

gangis2169
06-11-2010, 04:23 PM
:facepalm: You still say this after Kobe and Phil praise him for his work on D...

LOL what are they gonna say he fouls everytime he guards, he undercuts, reaches, and grabs. They know now that Boston is feeding primarly off emotion and there not going to give them anymore reasons to get pumped up. Tony Allen is like Bowen a dirty defender who gets away with alot. When your overly aggressive all the time there not gonna call the fouls.:facepalm:

gangis2169
06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Tony Allen is the Kobe stopper!!!!!

I wonder how many laker fans will think im serious and start exploding?

Probably the same amount that have your ridiculously homo sig!

gangis2169
06-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Dont worry Tony Allen will go back to being nobody once the Lakers win the title. Tony who?

jackdawson
06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Tony Allen is "the Kobe Stopper"

lol..just like you said Deng was "The LeBron stopper". You like the word "stopper" huh?? But please use it frugally. There is no single Lebron/Wade/Kobe stopper in the league. They are all able to get 30 even on the toughest night.

boriquaabe
06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Kobe is much easier to guard these days. Just don't bite on the pump fakes. The problem is that takes an extremely patient defender. But I think the Allen's are keyed into that.

When Kobe's strength used be taking it to the well his strength now is his pump fake and Jump shot.

Ive said this from the getty up the guy just doesn't get as many easy buckets as he used to. But he is a crafty player so It wouldn't surprise me if he went away from the pump fake a little.

TheGsw
06-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Kobe doesnt attack like he use to anymore. He always settles.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Tony Allen is doing a good job of (hand)checking Kobe.

Lakersfan2483
06-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I liken to Tony Allen to Gerald Wilkins on MJ. Both guys weren't able to stop the superstars, but did a good job of making them work for everything.

Lakersfan2483
06-11-2010, 09:32 PM
lol..just like you said Deng was "The LeBron stopper". You like the word "stopper" huh?? But please use it frugally. There is no single Lebron/Wade/Kobe stopper in the league. They are all able to get 30 even on the toughest night.

:clap:

n83417
06-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Yeah but if it is 29 points on 29 shots, any team in the NBA would take that. Kobe makes some crazy shots that most players in the NBA cannot make. Tony Allen was drafted as a defensive player, and his speed and athleticism is perfect for defending Kobe.

No one can stop Kobe, but Allen slows him down and forces him to take bad, contested jumpers as well as anyone.

hugepatsfan
06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
TA isn't just a specific "Kobe stopper" - he's just a very good defender against anyone. But you don't stop Kobe - you contain him best you can.

JWO35
06-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Kobe Bryant shoots 0% when I guard him, I'm the definition of a Kobe stopper!

IversonIsKrazy
06-12-2010, 01:53 AM
^^^^^^
0/0 is 0% so that is true haha.

But seriously, Tony has played great defense on Kobe. But at the same time, Kobe doesn't really drive the ball when Tony guards him. Tony comes on, then either Pierce or Ray are off, meaning not much offense, so Kobe decides that this is the time he starts jacking up messed up shots, next game he won't do that, you can see Kobe getting nearly 50% FG 2mrow. But dayum, the 5 shots KObe hit when Tony guarded him, were ridiculous, like the step back corner-angle three almost from behind the backboard, as JVG commented, it's just unfair... haha

jackdawson
06-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Yeah but if it is 29 points on 29 shots, any team in the NBA would take that. Kobe makes some crazy shots that most players in the NBA cannot make. Tony Allen was drafted as a defensive player, and his speed and athleticism is perfect for defending Kobe.

No one can stop Kobe, but Allen slows him down and forces him to take bad, contested jumpers as well as anyone.

Basically that's what I said. You can't level any player as LeBron/Wade/Kobe stopper. Somebody can slow them down but they are so versatile that they figure out other ways of scoring.

nico916
06-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Great points and did you guys notice every time Kobe gets quote on quote stopped he always comes back and makes a stop. lol How many time has he blocked Perkins? Oh and how about the block he put on Tony when he came in with that weak stuff. Kobe don't give a rats anus about who guards him cuz in the end of the day most of the nba got Kobe's shoes not them Tony's you get at the swap meet lol. Remember last year when Pietrus took off the Hyperdunks that he played in all year because he knew they were the Shizz but couldn't wear em in the finals cuz Kobe was coming into town. How did that work out?

azkarraga
06-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Age is the Kobe stopper. And, sure, TA helps.

basketfan4life
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Kobes only bad shooting night was game 3,but he had to took 11 shots under 5secs,much of them were against tony allen and 5/19 has something to do with this also that was his relentless attacking mentality with fishers 4th quarter play which cost the celtics the game..,in game 2 , he had to shoot too many desperetion shots...game 1 and 4,he was 10/22 which is like shooting %50 against phx,because Boston as a team,that good on offense...

also,last time i checked, kobe is scoring 28,25 in this series, if this is the worst for kobe, i'll take Kobe over anyone,anyday of the week...

slamfan4life
06-12-2010, 08:10 PM
kobes a beast, thats why im lovin this series

no team wants to back down

SugeKnight
06-12-2010, 09:52 PM
^^^^^^
0/0 is 0% so that is true haha.

But seriously, Tony has played great defense on Kobe. But at the same time, Kobe doesn't really drive the ball when Tony guards him. Tony comes on, then either Pierce or Ray are off, meaning not much offense, so Kobe decides that this is the time he starts jacking up messed up shots, next game he won't do that, you can see Kobe getting nearly 50% FG 2mrow. But dayum, the 5 shots KObe hit when Tony guarded him, were ridiculous, like the step back corner-angle three almost from behind the backboard, as JVG commented, it's just unfair... haha

No, 0/0 is undefined... Anything/0 is undefined, not 0
5th grade algebra