PDA

View Full Version : Which position in basketball has the shortest careers on average?

esoteradactyl
06-11-2010, 01:55 AM
my rank from shortest to longest longevity:

Centers

Power Forwards

Shooting Guards

Small Forwards

and Point Guards

still1ballin
06-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Centers?

DerekRE_3
06-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I would think big guys. Lot's of weight for the joints, cartilage, and ligaments to take.

ldc62
06-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Centers/PFs for sure. Their knees always become a problem after so much mileage.

D1JM
06-11-2010, 02:10 AM
centers

NYtilIdie
06-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Centers. Knees take too much bangin

cmellofan15
06-11-2010, 02:45 AM
the big guys, but they never wanna give up their career and usually play way past their prime (Karl Malone, Shaq, Hakeem, Zo, etc.)

AK-50
06-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Big Men for sure

D1JM
06-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Big Men for sure

whose that lady on your sig

TrueFan420
06-11-2010, 03:48 AM
yea but there are alot of sg that come in this league and get chances

PatelJ1010
06-11-2010, 04:04 AM
SF/SG bc they are playing more minutes and have more stress on their body...C as well but there are more older C (SHAQ) than SF/SG (T-mac) ....In the last 10 yrs

asandhu23
06-11-2010, 04:06 AM
I am going to go with Slashing Point Guards. They are the ones who run around like maniacs doing crazy moves etc etc.

abe_froman
06-11-2010, 04:29 AM
SF/SG bc they are playing more minutes and have more stress on their body...C as well but there are more older C (SHAQ) than SF/SG (T-mac) ....In the last 10 yrs

are you kidding??? lugging around 7 ft and 250+ pound frame puts alot of stress on the feet

T-Wolf
06-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Centers without doubt! Their knees can't hold that weight too much...

Daze9900
06-11-2010, 07:22 AM
I would have to say Guards. I understand the arguemnent about the stress for big guys but if you can still move you can float around the league. Even after your prime you can stay in the league (see both O'neals) Guards have a different problem, if you can't play you quickly find your way out of the league (see rashad mccants, coby karl and any guard second round guard) It's like a running back for the NFL there is always someone ready to come take that spot.

Venomous88
06-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I feel like the bigger you are, the more in demand you are in the league. Point Guards usually have the shortest career very similar to running backs in the NFL.

AK-50
06-11-2010, 07:39 AM
whose that lady on your sig

lol just a Portuguese model i guess :shrug:

sventhedog
06-11-2010, 07:54 AM
the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

JordansBulls
06-11-2010, 08:35 AM
my rank from shortest to longest longevity:

Centers

Power Forwards

Shooting Guards

Small Forwards

and Point Guards

Are we talking now or all time?

PrettyBoyJ
06-11-2010, 08:49 AM
centers.. and some pf

69centers
06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
It would seem to be center, yet two of the oldest guys to ever play were centers: Parish and Kevin Willis. Parish actually holds the record for most games played.

king4day
06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Centers by leaps and bounds.
I think a better question is, what position would be second most. PG's get to the paint a lot and get hurt. Nash's, Baron Davis, Livingston,Calderon...

Raoul Duke
06-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure, and I'd be interested to see the statistics. The biggest determinants of career length are height and shooting ability. I know big guys' bodies break down a lot faster, but it seems like any seven footer who can walk can get a small contract to provide six fouls.

Ragun
06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
obviously centres. but shaq played 17 years somehow.

Sly Guy
06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
you can't teach height, so big guys stay longer. When a little guy can't jump anymore, he becomes little use to anyone unless he's an automatic shooter.

Chronz
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Quick guards who never learned how to shoot

Chronz
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure, and I'd be interested to see the statistics. The biggest determinants of career length are height and shooting ability. I know big guys' bodies break down a lot faster, but it seems like any seven footer who can walk can get a small contract to provide six fouls.

Agreed, someone draw up some stats. Just one question, do you guys simply want to know how long his career last or how long hes able to maintain his prime effectiveness

Raoul Duke
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
^Just basically career length. Although if anyone wants to provide some info on which positions have the lengthiest primes, that'd be fantastic.

sep11ie
06-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Cheerleaders, I think they only last 2-3 years.

awmathewsjr
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I would have to say Guards. I understand the arguemnent about the stress for big guys but if you can still move you can float around the league. Even after your prime you can stay in the league (see both O'neals) Guards have a different problem, if you can't play you quickly find your way out of the league (see rashad mccants, coby karl and any guard second round guard) It's like a running back for the NFL there is always someone ready to come take that spot.

Finally somebody is making sense. This is not the NFL. There are very few big men to go around, thats why they sticks around so long. Lets not forget that Mutumbo just retired last summer. Kareem, Robert Parrish and Kevin Willis all played 20+ years. Not because they were that good(maybe kareem) but because there was no one to take their spots. Yeah I know Greg Oden and Yao Ming are constantly hurt but is their anybody that can take their spots? NO, because there aren't enough big men to go around. On the other hand Tony Parker goes down for a short period of time now he's constantly in trade rumors, because there was a back up point guard that no one had heard of who came in and proved that he too could be a starter. That's how it works. So my pick would have to be the guard position.

JNA17
06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I got guards. Just like the post above me, logcially health wise, it would be bigmen such as centers, however there have been a ton of bigman who have continued to play at ages like 39 or 40 while guards seem to stick in at most at 37 or 38, and that's even pushing it.

just my 2 cents

JNA17
06-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Cheerleaders, I think they only last 2-3 years.

it's a shame too. They retire by the age of 24 or 25 when their still ****able :pity:

97NYer
06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Guys who rely on their athleticism to get by.

JasonJohnHorn
06-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Big guys dont always depend on speed to play their game. Kevin Willis, Roboert Horry, Moses Malone, Karl Malone, Robert Parish. These big guys all played until their late 30's early 40's. There arent too many guards that do that. Nash and Kidd have done well so far, and Stockton played VERY well until 40, Marc Jackson started to trail off, but hung in there a few years, and Darrell Armstrong played a long time, but with very dimished minutes.

There are of course examples of power forwards and centers with short careers, either due to lack of talent, injury or laziness. antoine Walker for example has the talent, but isnt in the league right now. Yinka Dare had a short career because he sucked, and Ralph Sampson had a short career due to injury. But the big guys generally dont depend on speed, but their basketball IQ and size, which they keep despite their age, so if they still know how to box out, defend the post and hit a twenty footer, they are still useful, even if they are slow. But if a point guard like Tim Hardaway slows down a little, he's a liability on defence and cant get to the hoop as quick as he used to, making him less effective on offence.

Centers and Power Forwards generally seem to be able to play up until 40 for those who have the drive, and you see more guys at that postion playing until 40 than you do shooting guards, point guards or small forward.

I'd say point guards and shooting guards have the shortest careers, then small forwards, then centers and power forwards are about even.

ballpd05
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Their are arguments for both. I think bigs for health reasons such as the effect of being tall on joints, especially knees. But big men because they are big have a longer window of opportunity. Big slow guys who can't move but can give consistent minutes are always around. You see guys like Marcus Camby, Shaq, Kurt Thomas, Jermaine O'Neal, Antonio McDyess, Sheed, and KG. They are not the athletes they once were, but they are tall and can still shoot and operate post moves because of their height and length.

Guards on the other hand hit a huge wall when they start to lose their explosiveness. They then cant get to the basket as easily or guard the next generation of explosive wing and point players like they used to. I think that is when you see guys who used to be great be turned into jump shooters, and you can find alot of people who are 6'8" and under who shoot. So I think from a competitive standpoint guards have a shorter window.

JNA17
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Guys who rely on their athleticism to get by.

looks like lebron james won't last for so long ;)

awmathewsjr
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
looks like lebron james won't last for so long ;)

I don't think you understand what relying on athleticism means. Ok sure, LeBron is one of the most athletic guys on the court, but he's also smart, a good distributer, a good defender and he's built like a power forward so his size and strength will add years onto his career once the speed and quickness fades. On the other hand a guy like Allen Iverson can't fall back on anything else.

OA SLAY
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Coaches

albertc86
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Centers. Especially true centers. The game is much too fast paced for centers. Power forwards are the new centers of the game.

netsgiantsyanks
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
big men