PDA

View Full Version : Why cant we be like the Yankees??

cubs0707
06-11-2010, 01:07 AM
All year long everyone has been talking about rebuliding and stuff. HOw come we cant just be the NLs yankees.?
We have a high payroll and some good pieces here.
we should just trade some of the older washed up guys for anything and hit the free agent market this winter.

CubbieSteve
06-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Hell I dunno

majestic
06-11-2010, 02:03 AM
we spend money on players that arent that legit, soriano/fukudome/zambrano
they spend it on alex rodriquez/cc sabathia/mark texierra

redwhitenblue
06-11-2010, 02:04 AM
we spend money on players that arent that legit, soriano/fukudome/zambrano
they spend it on alex rodriquez/cc sabathia/mark texierra

We wouldn't have the money for those players regardless.

And a few years ago, it was questionable how "legit" CC was. Let's not forget the Yankees superb signings of guys like Carl Pavano.

Matchstckman
06-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Kei Igawa was a steal

Ron!n
06-11-2010, 02:41 AM
You do know that Tex has sucked alot this year?

toovey107
06-11-2010, 03:39 AM
:suicide:

Mell413
06-11-2010, 07:29 AM
We don't have the money like the Yankees do. These threads are getting out of hand

semperfi
06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Because we are the Cubs.

AllStar44
06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I say screw the high payroll, trade off all superstars and field a team of AAA players and prospects and somehow they play like a team and fate brings the Cubs a World Series.

THE_G.O.A.T.
06-11-2010, 10:12 AM
All year long everyone has been talking about rebuliding and stuff. HOw come we cant just be the NLs yankees.?
We have a high payroll and some good pieces here.
we should just trade some of the older washed up guys for anything and hit the free agent market this winter.

Yikes!....why didn't we think of this idea earlier?

IRNMN
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
This basically has been already said. I think its because the Yankees seem to have a balance between home grown talent(Jeter[i know over a decade ago], Cano, Hughes, etc.) and high name free agent talent(A-Rod, Sabathia, Tex). Compared to the Cubs who when they get a talented prospect with the exception of maybe the past year or so either has a guy who is injury prone(Wood, Prior) or is a bust(Patterson, Pie, Cedeno, Harvey, ill stop there) along with signing players past their prime(Soriano). Also in the past if the prospect was good enough we would trade them off for mediocre talent. I think times will be changing since Wilken is in so far so good Colvin, Castro, Casher some of the players brought in, throw in Vitters, Jackson(x2), and Carpenter a few year down the road by him could be that youthful core waiting to be surrounded by the quality free agent talents.

Really the Yankees for the longest time realized that you can't totally buy your team and when they did they sucked. Also unless your the Twins few teams can totally home grow a team. The best teams have nice balance between them. Another example would be the Phillies they have the home grown guys like Howard, Utley, Hammels and Rollins, but surround them with last year Cliff Lee and this season Roy Halladay.

I think the Cubs are actually on the right path to do so Castro, Colvin, Soto, and Cashner are names we should be seeing in Chicago for some years. It's just a matter of contracts expiring(Lee, Soriano, Ramirez, etc.)

WCF23
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
This basically has been already said. I think its because the Yankees seem to have a balance between home grown talent(Jeter[i know over a decade ago], Cano, Hughes, etc.) and high name free agent talent(A-Rod, Sabathia, Tex). Compared to the Cubs who when they get a talented prospect with the exception of maybe the past year or so either has a guy who is injury prone(Wood, Prior) or is a bust(Patterson, Pie, Cedeno, Harvey, ill stop there) along with signing players past their prime(Soriano). Also in the past if the prospect was good enough we would trade them off for mediocre talent. I think times will be changing since Wilken is in so far so good Colvin, Castro, Casher some of the players brought in, throw in Vitters, Jackson(x2), and Carpenter a few year down the road by him could be that youthful core waiting to be surrounded by the quality free agent talents.

Really the Yankees for the longest time realized that you can't totally buy your team and when they did they sucked. Also unless your the Twins few teams can totally home grow a team. The best teams have nice balance between them. Another example would be the Phillies they have the home grown guys like Howard, Utley, Hammels and Rollins, but surround them with last year Cliff Lee and this season Roy Halladay.

I think the Cubs are actually on the right path to do so Castro, Colvin, Soto, and Cashner are names we should be seeing in Chicago for some years. It's just a matter of contracts expiring(Lee, Soriano, Ramirez, etc.)

This was a pretty good explanation of something that quite frankly didn't really deserve a great deal of explanation.

Additionally, regardless of the brand recognition of the Yankees being dominate to the Cubs, Steinbrenner is willing to not make money in order to win. I don't think that is a philosophy that the Ricketts family shares. So while the two owners may have similar net worths, they are hardly comparable.