PDA

View Full Version : So why did people prefer Antawn over Amare?

Chronz
06-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Heres what we know, one rises to the occasion in the playoffs, the other shrinks. Amares weakness (Defense) is better than Antawns. Antawns strength (spreading the floor) isnt as strong as Amares perimeter game. Its true, Antawn can hit the 3 but his midrange game is weak in comparison.

There was the whole playing without the ball theory, but Amare is the one who plays with a ball dominant PG almost exclusively in PnR situations. Maybe Brown used Antawn wrong or something but I cant picture anyone messing up an Amare Bron PnR.

superkegger
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
My guess is the Suns wanted Hickson, and the Cavs wouldn't part with him. I don't specifically remember if that was the case or not, but that'd be my guess.

Plus the Cavs probably didn't like the idea that if they traded for Amare that then their two best players would likely opt out at seasons end and didn't like the idea of having to pay huge money to keep both. :shrug: Maybe they thought that Amare would opt out regardless of the outcome of the season, and that Jamison would be enough to win it all and then they'd still have him locked in for next year, and they essentially had to give up nothing to get him.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Raoul Duke
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I pretty much thought that the only reason they went for 'Tawn was that it allowed them to keep Hickson, which was... puzzling. Also, he was probably more available.

EDIT: I call it puzzling because here are the Cavs, sitting on one of the biggest expiring contracts in the NBA and with a young player who a lot of teams are interested in despite not really showing anything other than brief flashes, and they settled. Now they're stuck launching their endgame strategy three weeks from free agency.

n83417
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I am sure the price for Amare was much higher than Jamison's. I would be willing to bet they would have to include something they didn't want to include in order to get Amare.

jimbobjarree
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
cus the Cavs got Jamison for nothing and the Suns must have wanted something for Amare

kblo247
06-10-2010, 07:48 PM
The Cavs got Jamison and Telfair for nothing while keeping Z and Hickson.

With Amare they would have gave up Hickson and possibly something else so I see why the Cavs would say no

Mplsman
06-10-2010, 07:48 PM
cus the Cavs got Jamison for nothing and the Suns must have wanted something for Amare

True.

Chronz
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Guys I understand the repercussions of trading Hickson but Im talking about people who were arguing that Antawn would be the best partner for Bron, propelling the team into Championship caliber.

JordansBulls
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Heres what we know, one rises to the occasion in the playoffs, the other shrinks. Amares weakness (Defense) is better than Antawns. Antawns strength (spreading the floor) isnt as strong as Amares perimeter game. Its true, Antawn can hit the 3 but his midrange game is weak in comparison.

There was the whole playing without the ball theory, but Amare is the one who plays with a ball dominant PG almost exclusively in PnR situations. Maybe Brown used Antawn wrong or something but I cant picture anyone messing up an Amare Bron PnR.

Because the Cavs could get Jamison easily while if they waited for Amare to be available they would never have gotten anyone. Besides the Cavs got Jamison pretty much for free as Big Z came back to the team.

harm0n1x
06-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I pretty much thought that the only reason they went for 'Tawn was that it allowed them to keep Hickson, which was... puzzling. Also, he was probably more available.

it was because of hickson. the kid's only 21 and has some really good potential. the thing i didn't get is if they wanted to keep him so bad, then why didn't he get any minutes in the playoffs? he was looking pretty good in the regular season..

superkegger
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Looking back though, I'm guessing Ferry and Brown had to have at least some understanding of what would happen if they didn't win the title. So, in a way it's kinda puzzling they didn't go for Amare. So you give up Hickson, so what. You win it with Amare, and you keep your job (Brown) and in Ferry's case, you'd probably want to keep your job.

My guess is, Gilbert probably put a nix on trading Hickson, which probably handcuffed Ferry a bit, and narrowed his options. Pure speculation on my part, but Ferry left in part because of Gilbert's increasing hands on approach. So, that may have been the start of it. :shrug:

beasted86
06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
:laugh: at the people who thought that it was the Cavs who were holding the trade back.

The deal for Amar'e 100% included Hickson in the deal. The Suns weren't satisfied with the offer... simple. Similarly the Heat offered JO for Amare and filler, and the Suns weren't satisfied. They wanted Beasley, and picks.... and the Heat to take back Richardson's $13M contract as well.

But seriously... you have be high or twisted to think the Cavs put together a trade package that didn't include Hickson.

superkegger
06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Guys I understand the repercussions of trading Hickson but Im talking about people who were arguing that Antawn would be the best partner for Bron, propelling the team into Championship caliber.

I don't know. Probably because of the whole Shaq/Amare thing not working in Phoenix is my guess.

Chronz
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't know. Probably because of the whole Shaq/Amare thing not working in Phoenix is my guess.
The 2 made the all-star team, you really think Antawn Shaq accomplish that in the West?

kblo247
06-10-2010, 07:58 PM

That and the fact I honest think most though they would get Orlando and not Boston in these playoffs which meant they saw him as a tweener to get after Rashard Lewis on both ends like Lamar Odom did in the Finals.

In other words they didn't expect KG to come and get in that *** as the only true PF out East.

NYtilIdie
06-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Because Shaq would have clogged up Amare's lane :rolleyes:

For real, I don't know. I was hoping they would have pulled the trigger, I heard they did offer JJ in the Amare deal, but the Suns were taking too long to accept the trade and didn't want to wait til the last minute like last season with Shaq and end up with nothing. So they just took the sure deal in Jamison.

If Ferry didn't pull the Amare deal because of JJ then he deserved to be fired. I don't see anything special in JJ, he's nothing more then a product of Lebron. Some Cav fans actually called him "Amare-lite".

NYtilIdie
06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I think people prefered Antawn more because he was a better shooter who could spread the floor more then Amare since he had more range.

I think deep down inside Cav fans were disappointed when they heard they traded for Jamison, knowing Amare would have exceled them into true title contenders. In the end they were probably just happy that they made some moves, but Jamison wasn't the smart one.

superkegger
06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
The 2 made the all-star team, you really think Antawn Shaq accomplish that in the West?

If I remember Amare was voted in at forward and wasn't totally deserving of the spot.

Not my point totally though. My point is, they didn't make the playoffs and there was constant talk about the chemistry with Shaq being a problem. I know thats because of the style of play and what not.

I'm also not saying I agree with that whole notion, I'm just saying it is probably one of the things people would point to, to say that Jamison would have been a better choice over Amare.

iggypop123
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
the cavs must think jj hickson is a superstar. thats what held them back from getting amare

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2010, 08:22 PM

this.

and they probably wanted a stretch PF to play vs Orlando and Rashard Lewis, instead of having Varejao and Hickson guarding him. Also, Shaq clogs the middle for both LBJ and Amare. If they didn't have Shaq, then I think Amar'e would be a better fit.

EDIT: oh yea and also Amar'e probably would've been a rental for most teams, whereas Jamison would be in CLE or whoever traded for him, for a while.

WITZ
06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Im thinking because of the possibility that both lebron & amare could bolt added together with the loss of trading Hickson and whoever else they traded, that roster would be pure ****.

Chronz
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
If I remember Amare was voted in at forward and wasn't totally deserving of the spot.
Maybe not worthy of starting but still an All-Star so the point remains both were All-Stars together.

Not my point totally though. My point is, they didn't make the playoffs and there was constant talk about the chemistry with Shaq being a problem. I know thats because of the style of play and what not.
I dont see how not making the playoffs means they didnt work out together, they didnt make the playoffs because one of the 2 wasnt around when the team went back to its identity. If you know what the problem was (Coaching) then theres really no need to cling to a flawed theory, even if you are just playing devils advocate.

I'm also not saying I agree with that whole notion, I'm just saying it is probably one of the things people would point to, to say that Jamison would have been a better choice over Amare.

Yea I know what your doing bro dont worry. I dont recall you being one of those people.

I think people prefered Antawn more because he was a better shooter who could spread the floor more then Amare since he had more range.

I think deep down inside Cav fans were disappointed when they heard they traded for Jamison, knowing Amare would have exceled them into true title contenders. In the end they were probably just happy that they made some moves, but Jamison wasn't the smart one.
I think so too but why didnt people realize that having more range doesnt make him the better shooter, Amare is so money from midrange that Id call him the better shooter. And isnt that where most of the shots would come from. I mean Antawn doesnt jack up 3's, and hes not a midrange gunner so most of his attempts would come from Shaqs territory, unlike Amare who can and does consistently shoot from midrange territory.

Anyways as long as were all in agreement that Antawn wasnt the ideal big for Bron. Something I really dont understand, is if Bron is such a devastating force with the PnR why not get him a big who specializes in that area?