PDA

View Full Version : What's stopping the Cav's from going over the Cap?

Southsideheat
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Gilbert has millions, the sheer presence of Lebron gives the Cav's millions in dollars in cash and in franchise value. Wouldn't Gilbert lose more money having Lebron bolt the franchise than retaining lebron and dishing out an extra 40 millions a year in salary and tax for Bosh? What's stopping them?

JasonJohnHorn
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I dont think they have the cap space for two free agents. and though they are allowed to go over the cap to sigh their own guy, they cant use their cap space to sign a guy then go over the cap for their own because they are expected to at least save the salary of the their own player's previous salary if they wish to retain the "Larry Bird" rights, or at least that is how I have come to understand it. Though Shaq's contract gives them some space, they still have Verajao's contract and Mo Williams, and Jamison, ect... so I'm not sure they have the cap space.

Southsideheat
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I dont think they have the cap space for two free agents. and though they are allowed to go over the cap to sigh their own guy, they cant use their cap space to sign a guy then go over the cap for their own because they are expected to at least save the salary of the their own player's previous salary if they wish to retain the "Larry Bird" rights, or at least that is how I have come to understand it. Though Shaq's contract gives them some space, they still have Verajao's contract and Mo Williams, and Jamison, ect... so I'm not sure they have the cap space.

It's a soft cap. You're allowed to go over if you're willing to pay tax. Why aren't they willing to pay tax?

Raidaz4Life
06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
It's a soft cap. You're allowed to go over if you're willing to pay tax. Why aren't they willing to pay tax?

I don't think you understand how the cap works.

carter15
06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
they cant sign lets say LeBron and then Bosh to put them over the cap.
however I think they can do it the other way around. you cant just sign whoever u want tho and pay the tax.

Chronz
06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Whats stopping them? The salary cap rules

n83417
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
They are already over the cap. You can retain your own players, but can not sign more than a mid level exception/league minimum deals if you are over the cap. Rules is rules.

Southsideheat
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
They are already over the cap. You can retain your own players, but can not sign more than a mid level exception/league minimum deals if you are over the cap. Rules is rules.

Gotcha. You can go over the cap only if you're under before you go over. You can close the thread now.

JNA17
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
ummmm...aren't they already over the cap? Not understanding the question.

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Would you wanna go over WAY cap,(Cause they are over the cap now I believe) and Trade Jamison,Mo and Shaq in a S and T and get some young players and Role players to complement Lebron, Then him just sign with another team and you be stuck with those players for 3-5 years?

mfb_lt1birdman
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
In short you can only exceed the salary cap to retain your own players. To sign a free agent on the market you have to be below the cap.

Only exceptions to this are signing a player to the MLE which is around 5.5 million a year, or the veterans minimum. There is also a bi-annual exception worth a small amount less than 2 million I think.

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 01:22 PM
In short you can only exceed the salary cap to retain your own players. To sign a free agent on the market you have to be below the cap.

Only exceptions to this are signing a player to the MLE which is around 5.5 million a year, or the veterans minimum. There is also a bi-annual exception worth a small amount less than 2 million I think.

You can also go over the Cap in trades also up to like 2 million or 10% or something. Don't know if you mentioned that yet or not or anyone for that matter. Teams way over cap can't just sign so they usually do Sign and Trades.

n83417
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Gotcha. You can go over the cap only if you're under before you go over. You can close the thread now.

If you are under the cap, you can sign FA deals up to the cap. If you are at or over the cap, you can only resign your own players. (Called Bird rights)and mid level deals (around $5.85 Million) and veteran minimum contracts.

Celtics, going into this season were way over the cap. They resigned Tony Allen (using Bird Rights) signed Rasheed Wallace using MLE (2 year contract, roughly 5.85M per) and Marquis Daniels (1 year, $1.9M (minimum for a player with his service time)

sep11ie
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Cuz they don't have the pieces for a sign and trade for a Bosh to go over the cap.

awmathewsjr
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM

NO!!!!!!! you can go over to retain your own players regardless if you're already over or under but if you are over you can only sign FA's from other teams to the MLE or the league minimum. It's simple rules bro, why are u having such a hard time understanding.

thescore53
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Gilbert has millions, the sheer presence of Lebron gives the Cav's millions in dollars in cash and in franchise value. Wouldn't Gilbert lose more money having Lebron bolt the franchise than retaining lebron and dishing out an extra 40 millions a year in salary and tax for Bosh? What's stopping them?

ever heard of cap space. something the cavs dont have

bigtime1957
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Yes Ferry screwed us as a player, and now as a GM But yet all I hear is what a great job he did. Guys look at the one side of things. But never see the whole picture till it is to late. That is why Cleveland will always be a loser.

thescore53
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Cuz they don't have the pieces for a sign and trade for a Bosh to go over the cap.

some cavs fans think they have the best package for us :facepalm: just check some of their proposal at their forum

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
some cavs fans think they have the best package for us :facepalm: just check some of their proposal at their forum

Yea I saw that and Some people didn't even wanna throw JJ Hickson in for Bosh. Hahah That's Funny.

Southsideheat
06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
NO!!!!!!! you can go over to retain your own players regardless if you're already over or under but if you are over you can only sign FA's from other teams to the MLE or the league minimum. It's simple rules bro, why are u having such a hard time understanding.

Take it easy bro. I was referring signing an outright FA who didn't have Bird rights (Bosh). I know the exceptions.

Da Knicks
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Now that he understands the cap close this down...

Hawkeye15
06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
you can scale pay your own players to retain them as much as you like, but if you are over the cap, it doesn't matter if you have a trillion dollars, rules prohibit you from signing players outside mid level exceptions, and vet deals, etc.
Its structured so a team doesn't do what the Yankees do for example.

masalex1205
06-10-2010, 02:33 PM

:facepalm:

Da Knicks
06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah you have to do deals like the lakers and celtics to get better once your already on top. Cheat, lie, steal you have to, in order to be a good team or own a big market where the nba will have to help you.

Hawkeye15
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah you have to do deals like the lakers and celtics to get better once your already on top. Cheat, lie, steal you have to, in order to be a good team or own a big market where the nba will have to help you.

going way over the cap doesn't mean you automatically make a good team. Look at the Knicks from the mid 2000's.

Iodine
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Your a knicks fan, so the whole "ZOMFG THE BIG MARKETS ALWAYS WIN AND SCREW EVERYONE" Theory is false