PDA

View Full Version : The use of Instant Replay in Basketball

Bob_at_york
06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Do the rules need to be changed? Should instand replay be taken out? What do you think?

I know there are arguments pro and con out there about the use of instant replay in basketball and whether it should be extended or not.

We had one the other night at the end of Game 3 that was truly interesting and presents a big conundrum about the affair.

Remember the play? Shot’s missed, Lamar Odom goes to grab it on the defensive boards, Rajon Rondo obviously fouls him, the ball goes out of bounds. Now, that play happens at least once in every single game all year and the refs always make the same call: They give the ball to the team on defence, no foul is called, no one complains and the game goes on. Happens every single night.

Except, because there was less than two minutes to go, the refs decided they’d take advantage of the replay rule, look at it again at the urging of the Celtics and the ball was given to Boston.

Now, technically, they got the call right, Odom last touched the ball. But it was only because Rondo whacked him and the way the rules read now, the refs couldn’t review the non-call, only possession.

By the letter of the rulebook, they got it right. In reality, they got it dead wrong.

So do you expand replay to be able to decide whether or not it was a foul that caused the ball to go out of bounds? It’s a tough one.

I think you either have to or you have to take replay out in those situations.

Whatever happens, there has to be some fine-tuning.

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

spoonhoops
06-10-2010, 11:35 AM
It does slow the game down, but I like the fact that the right call can be made now. It seems like they will expand the use of instant replay going forward too.

clutchski
06-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I like instant replay especially in these important situations. To me, there's no question it should be kept in the game.

MaHaRaJaH
06-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Well when you make rules as simple as Black or White you're going to run into a Grey area (I.e this) and you have to side with what the situation favours more. When making rules or even policies I think it's already understood it's not going to account for every single situation possible. Good that they made the case by reviewing it, (even though the article states they wouldn't have done it in a regular season situation) but this would mean every single case would be reviewed. I think the refs noted it's a costly game therefore at least make the right call and ensure that it was. This is a game of many plays it's not like football where the game can be defined in one play.

Rivera
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
i like it

and i would not have been mad at all if in that same play the refs called lakers ball bc rondo did fall him and hand is part of the ball

but im happy with it mayb they should extend it to the last 5min

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I like the replay maybe give the Coach one review per game. 2 in the Playoffs.

sventhedog
06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
instant replay reviewing is great for the game. it's virtually impossible to call every thing right as it happens.

Bob_at_york
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
instant replay reviewing is great for the game. it's virtually impossible to call every thing right as it happens.

Even if they can't use instant replay to call fouls?

jimbobjarree
06-10-2010, 03:36 PM
I like the instant replay rule, especialy when it can only be used in the final 2 minutes (correct me if I'm wrong). As long as it stays like that and doesnt take over the whole game then I think its great for the game, and another opportunity to go get some snacks or run to the toilet.

coloradobuff
06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
I like the new use of replays in last 2 min..

KaganRS
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Given the level of human error and what's at stake , there really is no sound argument against instant replay.

Mplsman
06-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Its a good idea but when they review a play and still dont call a foul(rondo hacking odom) refs still control the outcomes.

Bob_at_york
06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Its a good idea but when they review a play and still dont call a foul(rondo hacking odom) refs still control the outcomes.

But that is the point of this thread, they are not allowed to call the foul. After reading the above linked blog I started thinking that you could foul someone on something like that and if the officials don't catch it then your coach can then plead with them to check the replay and somehow give the ball to the wrong team.

Note: I am not saying that is what the Celtics did but I am afraid that people are going to copy what happened.

jimbobjarree
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
In Cricket and Tennis you get a handful of challenges throughout the game. Maybe NBA coaches should get the option of a challenge per quarter and leave it there?

albertc86
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
The instant replay system is a must. That one call involving Odom and Rondo was a bad call, though, even though the instant replay was utilized. The problem with that situation was, the instant replay is not used to call fouls.

avrpatsfan
06-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I like instant replay especially in these important situations. To me, there's no question it should be kept in the game.
:clap:

Lakersho
06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
But that is the point of this thread, they are not allowed to call the foul. After reading the above linked blog I started thinking that you could foul someone on something like that and if the officials don't catch it then your coach can then plead with them to check the replay and somehow give the ball to the wrong team.

Note: I am not saying that is what the Celtics did but I am afraid that people are going to copy what happened.

the instant replay is good,but if the coach calls for it ,after review is done the call should be made as to poss. 1. who last touched it, 2. and if a foul occured too,then call it as a foul and give poss. to the right team,if they dont do replay this way its flawed,and it shouldn't be used. this would keep coaches and players from" loophole abusing the system " make work properly or its no better than a blown call. tweek it so it works properly...

Snake
06-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I think its a must. U cant catch everything every time so the fact that you can actually go to Instant replay is phenomenal

koreancabbage
06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
i love it, but you can't just call who's ball it is without the consequence of not calling a foul.

i.e. Odom and Rondo end game scramble. clearly a foul on rondo but touches Odom- and that was the main reason why it was still Boston ball.

they should have a review-with consequence of losing a timeout if the challenge fails. That means it can happen at any point during the game for any disputable play. max challenges of 1 during the first half and 2-3 during the second half. and 1 for each overtime period.
Add in the fact they can call fouls on the disputable play.

superkegger
06-10-2010, 08:15 PM
It's a mixed bag to me.

I like it when they get the calls right for non judgement calls.

The problem is, they can't review judgement calls at all. (Nor should they) But when you encounter the situation in game 3, there needs to be some sort of recourse.

I think they should be able to review that play, see that Lamar lost it, and that rondo fouled him, and just stick with the call they made on the court, which was Lakers ball. We see those kinds of calls made in real time sometimes. A guy drives to the hoop, gets sorta bumped and banged and they could call a foul, but he makes the shot, and they don't, because he made the shot, but when he misses, we get a late whistle and he goes to the line.

So I think that they should only review plays that aren't judgement calls, but if when under review, and judgement calls affects said play under review, they should make the most correct call.