PDA

View Full Version : More anticipated Free Agent? Shaq in 1996, Lebron in 2010, Duncan in 2000

JordansBulls
06-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Which of the 3 in your opinion was the more anticipated Free Agent in those summers?

Raidaz4Life
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Lebron

mikantsass
06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I dont think ESPN ever had a "Shaq tracker" or "Duncan tracker"

avrpatsfan
06-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Lebron easily.

Ray_R
06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Lbj.

stawka
06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Shaq as a free agent would have been bigger than Duncan, yet the Shaq one doesn't compare to LeBron. If they were both FA's in their primes, different story. But back in '96, I don't even think the internet was around, there was no cable TV in a lot of countries across the world - and even if there was, it was nothing like it is now with every house having it.

LeBron is owning the sports world at the moment, and he isn't even playing.

SAiNi_21
06-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Lebron, because of the world wide exposure he gets ... As i recall Duncan and Shaq never had that

king4day
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't think anyone really believed Duncan was going to Orlando that year.
Shaq I just plain don't remember.
With all the newer media outlets these days, it's easily Lebron.

IAmKira
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Lets just close this thread cuz its too dam obvious.

SchyGuy11
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
easily lebron, i mean come on i am hearing more about him than the nba finals right now

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
lol...

LeBron by miles, then Shaq... then Duncan. As I recall, Keith Van Horn was believed to have a better NBA Career then TD

awmathewsjr
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Lebron hands down because unlike Shaq and Duncan he fueled the media's fire by helping them promote the upcoming summer. Smart business move. We're talkin more about him than we are the finals

MTone8788
06-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Mike James, 2001.

jackdawson
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
LeBron James. Because he is the only one out of those three who is in his prime when they became free agent. Shaq and Duncan didn't go to the free agency as the best player on the planet, where LeBron is the exception.

Thatruth32
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
bron bron

CowboysKB24
06-10-2010, 12:17 PM
LBJ.... duh

hotpotato1092
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
It's LeBron, but not because of him as a player, I'd place young Shaq and young Duncan on equal footing with LeBron just because of how hard it is to find bigs of that caliber. It's because LeBron is the only one where you legitimately have no clue where he's going. With Duncan, it was Orlando or a return to San Antonio, with Shaq we knew that the Knicks were zeroing in on Michael Jordan and had no need for Shaq with Ewing already there, so the only major market (and Shaq WAS going to a major market) that made sense for Shaq was LA. With LeBron, literally EVERYTHING is in play. All three of the top TV markets (NY, LA, Chicago) are in play, a return to his former team is definitely possible and could net them Tom Izzo with him, and the potential super duo with Dwade in Miami (which I think there's no chance of happening, but still). There are tons of other teams with cap space, and some darkhorse sign and trade options, we really have no idea where LeBron ends up, and in turn where all of the other top FA's end up because he's the first domino. Lebron's decision decides the fate of the NBA for the next decade, and we really have no idea where he's gonna go, and in turn where Bosh, Wade, Amare, JJ, Boozer, and next year Carmelo and CP3 are gonna go, it all starts with LeBron's decision. Duncan's decision wasn't going to change the landscape of the league, Shaq's did for a 5 year period but there were other factors, such as the hiring of Phil Jackson, sketchy refs and the unexpected development of Kobe into MJ lite. LeBron's decision in itself changes the league, that is why his free agency is so anticipated.

awmathewsjr
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
LeBron James. Because he is the only one out of those three who is in his prime when they became free agent. Shaq and Duncan didn't go to the free agency as the best player on the planet, where LeBron is the exception.

That's where you're wrong in the '96 free agency Shaq was the 2nd best in the league behind MJ, in 2000 Duncan was the 2nd best in the league behind Shaq and this year LeBron is 2nd best behind Kobe. The difference is the promotional statments that LeBron has been making for the last 2 seasons.
Lets not forget Jordan was a Free Agent in the '96 and '97 summers, that wasn't that big of a deal either

todu82
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Lebron easily.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2010, 12:44 PM
is this a joke? obviously it's Lebron...

JNA17
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
lebron.

next thread

ARMIN12NBA
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Shaq's free agency was actually pretty big. If 1996 version of Shaq was going to be a free agent in today's world, then I think he would get as much media attention as LBJ.

Also, it is important to note that the media is controlled by advertisers and advertisers own Lebron. This is less about Lebron's greatness and popularity as it is one giant marketing scheme for money. It was started over two years ago! It was brilliant and it has worked beautifully.

JasonJohnHorn
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, I was a big fan of the game at the time of all three free agency periods, and this is easily the most anticipated free-agency market I've ever been around to see.

I think most people knew Shaq was going to LA. It was just kind of expected. With his ambitions in the entertainment industry, and LA making all those moves to clear cap space.

With the Duncan/Hill/McGrady market, I remember most people just assumed Duncan was going to stay, though there were some rumours, but the team was winning and the situation was good, and they could offer him more money than anybody. Hill I think most people knew would be moving, as was the case with McGrady. Detroit wasnt winning and McGrady made it know that he didnt want to play in Carter's shadow.

this year, nobody really knows where LBJ is going, or Wade, or Boozer or Bosh, maybe even Dirk and Amar'e, not to mention Joe Johnson and Scalabrine. This year there are just SO many players up, and nobody really knows where they are going because more seem to be playing in situations that havent worked and sign-and-trades have been allowing teams to give new free agents as much money as the team with their Larry Bird rights.

so this year's is easily the most anticipated. I think the internet helps a lot to, because it was jsut getting its feet when Shaq and Duncan were free agents, but it is used by so many people online talking about this that it has just ballooned.

The entire make-up of the league could be completely different next year, that was not the case in 96 or 200.

masalex1205
06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
this isn't an issue

CrazyCrackar
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
1. lebron 2. shaq 3. duncan

sventhedog
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
if the top free agent is actually doing every thing in his power to hype it up, advertise every little detail, say stupid things and then deny it after. how would it be possible to make the free agency less anticipated??? do i still need to mention who i'm talking about? i have a poll for the one who posted this:

shape of the NBA ball?
square in 1996
triangle in 2000
circle in 2010

coloradobuff
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM
lebron b/c of all media outlets

Mplsman
06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Lbj

Bruno
06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Pretty easily LBJ right?

As a sports fan, if I never have to hear about:

1. LBJ 2010
2. Brett Favre, possibly, or possibly not retiring.
3. Steroids in baseball.
4. Tiger Woods marriage.
5. Stupid off-court/field controversies that have nothing to do with the sport itself.

...I would be positively thrilled. I can't wait until he announces where he's going so we don't have to talk about it anymore. (not a knock on this thread, its absolutely discussion worthy but god damn this has been going on for so long)

kblo247
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Lebron because the net wasn't nearly as big back then as it was now to add to the hype.

However, I laugh at the idea that this free agency messes with 04 on paper
- Kobe
- Nash
- JO
- J. Kidd
- Boozer

On top of the Shaq/Odom and Francis/McGrady trades

superkegger
06-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Duncan is so low key, and even if he was extremely close to joining Hill in Orlando, it wasn't known how close until later on. And I doubt alot of people really thought he would leave.

Shaq leaving was a bit abrupt, and a bit of a shock. From what I can gather and recall, Shaq wasn't touting his pending FA as "the biggest day in the history of the NBA" or whatever Bron called July 1st 2010. Shaq was, you know, focused on winning a championship.
I was too young to really remember much of it with shaq, but I suspect a lot of 10 year olds now who like sports in general know Bron and Wade are FA's this year. Plus this is the internet age, there is so much more information/speculation/rumors etc... now than there were 14 years ago.

jackdawson
06-10-2010, 07:37 PM
That's where you're wrong in the '96 free agency Shaq was the 2nd best in the league behind MJ, in 2000 Duncan was the 2nd best in the league behind Shaq and this year LeBron is 2nd best behind Kobe. The difference is the promotional statments that LeBron has been making for the last 2 seasons.
Lets not forget Jordan was a Free Agent in the '96 and '97 summers, that wasn't that big of a deal either

Jordan was the clear #1 in 96, and Shaq was the clear #1 in 2000. LeBron James has 2 mvps by now. Shaq and Duncan had none when they became free agents. LeBron is clearly the best player in the world now. This ain't even a debate. There are hundreds of threads on this. I am too lazy but I would recommend you to go back and search the old threads, you will find what majority think. Or else make a new one with a poll.

awmathewsjr
06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Jordan was the clear #1 in 96, and Shaq was the clear #1 in 2000. LeBron James has 2 mvps by now. Shaq and Duncan had none when they became free agents. LeBron is clearly the best player in the world now. This ain't even a debate. There are hundreds of threads on this. I am too lazy but I would recommend you to go back and search the old threads, you will find what majority think. Or else make a new one with a poll.

This is true my friend but there is 2 things that Duncan, Shaq, Kobe and MJ all had in common at the time of they're free agency that LBJ dosen't:
1. Proof that they could win championships
2. And they all had won Finals MVP; I'd rather have that one over the regular season award.
Having the most potential to be the best is different from actually being that.
Even MJ had to win a ring before getting that crown. Im not sure how old you are but if you can recall in MJ's first finals appearance they were calling Magic Johnson the best.

awmathewsjr
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM

P.S. If you agree that Jordan was clearly the best player in the world in '96 why wasn't his FA status as big of a deal as Lebron's. Because he didn't promote it. Imagine MJ telling the media that the '96 summer is gonna be the greatest FA summer ever. Its Ok to admit defeat JackDawson

nickster16301
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
This is true my friend but there is 2 things that Duncan, Shaq, Kobe and MJ all had in common at the time of they're free agency that LBJ dosen't:
1. Proof that they could win championships
2. And they all had won Finals MVP; I'd rather have that one over the regular season award.
Having the most potential to be the best is different from actually being that.
Even MJ had to win a ring before getting that crown. Im not sure how old you are but if you can recall in MJ's first finals appearance they were calling Magic Johnson the best.

shaq had not won a championship before 96 and as i recall he went to one and lost one with orlando like lebron did against the spurs....and like shaq lebron is this freakishly talented athlete that most people dont get to see in a lifetime...kobe while great won with the best player in the world at the time shaq and then one with one of the most complete all around teams you will ever see...kobe is more accomplished but not the better player

RVN671
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Which of the 3 in your opinion was the more anticipated Free Agent in those summers?

No '96 Jordan?

awmathewsjr
06-15-2010, 04:39 PM
shaq had not won a championship before 96 and as i recall he went to one and lost one with orlando like lebron did against the spurs....and like shaq lebron is this freakishly talented athlete that most people dont get to see in a lifetime...kobe while great won with the best player in the world at the time shaq and then one with one of the most complete all around teams you will ever see...kobe is more accomplished but not the better player

You have to read the whole thread buddy. Although you are right about Shaq my bad. But as far as Kobe goes it doesn't matter who he won with in this argument. All I said was 1. He proved that he could win a championship and
2. He won Finals MVP. Besides we're talking about Kobe now not Kobe then. That's why it's important that you read everything

awmathewsjr
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
No '96 Jordan?

'96 Jordan was not heavily anticipated. It was hardly even talked about.

Klivlend
06-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, I was a big fan of the game at the time of all three free agency periods, and this is easily the most anticipated free-agency market I've ever been around to see.

I think most people knew Shaq was going to LA. It was just kind of expected. With his ambitions in the entertainment industry, and LA making all those moves to clear cap space.

With the Duncan/Hill/McGrady market, I remember most people just assumed Duncan was going to stay, though there were some rumours, but the team was winning and the situation was good, and they could offer him more money than anybody. Hill I think most people knew would be moving, as was the case with McGrady. Detroit wasnt winning and McGrady made it know that he didnt want to play in Carter's shadow.

this year, nobody really knows where LBJ is going, or Wade, or Boozer or Bosh, maybe even Dirk and Amar'e, not to mention Joe Johnson and Scalabrine. This year there are just SO many players up, and nobody really knows where they are going because more seem to be playing in situations that havent worked and sign-and-trades have been allowing teams to give new free agents as much money as the team with their Larry Bird rights.

so this year's is easily the most anticipated. I think the internet helps a lot to, because it was jsut getting its feet when Shaq and Duncan were free agents, but it is used by so many people online talking about this that it has just ballooned.

The entire make-up of the league could be completely different next year, that was not the case in 96 or 200.

HAHAHA! Ya, what about Scalabrine? Why is no one talking about the ginger?

albertc86
06-15-2010, 05:10 PM
How can you leave Kobe off the list? His situation was a lot worse than LeBron's.

NYKstateOFmind
06-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Ya Lebron for sure there is so much hype for this guy.

TheGsw
06-15-2010, 08:27 PM
WTF! Close this. You closed my thread but this thread is not closed yet! Wow lol