PDA

View Full Version : Should Kobe win Finals MVP if the Lakers win?

Boston Faithful
06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't think he should.

Kobe: 26.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 5.3 APG, 2.3 SPG on 39.4% shooting, 25% three point

Pau Gasol has played way better: 20.3 PPG, 10.7 RPG, 3.67 BPG, 57.1% shooting.

If the Lakers win and Kobe wins Finals MVP, that'd be stupid.

He's constantly thrown up horrible shots in the series, it's almost as if he's doing it to make sure he wins Finals MVP. I think the championship would mean alot less to him if he didn't win the Finals MVP. Gasol has been reliable down low.

RadiantShot
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
But Kobe is the reason they even got to the Finals. I know it's called the 'Finals MVP,' but, honestly, we all know they don't take JUST the Finals into account. The other thing is, Kobe's still out-scoring Pau, and that's what they look for a good 90% of the time. Kobe will win it if they win.

kblo247
06-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think he should.

He's constantly thrown up horrible shots in the series, while Gasol has been reliable down low.

Didn't Jordan shoot 41% versus the Sonics?
Didn't MJ go 14-33, 12-27, 9-26, and 15-35 ALL in the 98' Finals?

Kobe isn't Jordan by any means. He isn't better than MJ either, but he damn sure isn't playing that bad in retrospect compared to past benchmarks that were set by the greatest SG to ever lace up a pair of sneaks.

He is guarding Boston's best player. Look at the matchup from when Kobe was off the floor in game 2 as compared to him being on the court and Rondo being limited to 6 assists and 4 rebounds. He is the one who constantly gets the ball to the bigs. He is the one who in game 3 was all over the place on defense and doing every little thing, like setting the screens to get Fish off late, and leading the team in +/-. He simply has been the MVP of the Lakers in this series because they go how go, and if you need evidence of that just watch game 2.

Bruno
06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
The series isn't over. There's no way to tell who deserves it until you can look at the entire body of work.

Bruno
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
But Kobe is the reason they even got to the Finals. I know it's called the 'Finals MVP,' but, honestly, we all know they don't take JUST the Finals into account. The other thing is, Kobe's still out-scoring Pau, and that's what they look for a good 90% of the time. Kobe will win it if they win.

Right, I thought Finals MVP was reflective of the playoffs as a whole, not just the finals?

COBY KARL
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493290

97NYer
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Lol. As if there is the slightest chance Pau is getting MVP over Kobe.

ItsTheLastAce
06-09-2010, 06:03 PM
kobe does much more, he is what makes the lakers run. He is also a great leader and defender.

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't think he should.

He's constantly thrown up horrible shots in the series, it's almost as if he's doing it to make sure he wins Finals MVP. I think the championship would mean alot less to him if he didn't win the Finals MVP. Gasol has been reliable down low.

Kobe is the guy who the Lakers go to during bail-out shots. Kobe took 11 shots when the clock was under 5 seconds. Jackson, Fisher, Kobe, and even Gasol were saying that they were stagnant and just throwing it to Kobe late looking for him to bail them out. Kobe went 8-18 not counting those shots (above average percentage at 44%).

Also, it is important to note that basketball is not all about statistics. Brian Shaw has made reference to this multiple times (and he has been criticized for being tough on Kobe at times by Laker fans). Shaw was saying that Kobe's presence has been extremely integral in Gasol's effectiveness this playoffs.

Not only does Kobe garner a huge amount of attention, but his off the court presence is huge as well. Kobe has spurned Gasol to lift weights (invariably leading to him getting stronger and more able bodied to go against KG). The Celtics constantly throw doubles and box and 1 formations at Kobe leading to really solid looks for Gasol (which he does not see when Kobe is on the court). I forgot where I saw the statistics, but this one person laid out Gasol's stats when Kobe is on the court as compared to when he is on the court and his stats are a lot better with Kobe's presence.

Ultimately, 27/6/5 may only be average for Kobe, but those are still damn fantastic and his man and help defense has been brilliant. The guy's presence on the court and his influence off it helps everybody on the team and that is why he is the unquestioned Finals MVP for the Lakers so far.

DCB/LAL
06-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Why are people so OFFENSIVE minded? Yes he may of not shot the best % but EVERYBODYS shooting % is down this series....its a defensive series which is why Kobe should get MVP containing Rondo means containing the Celtics and Kobe is doing just that. Pau Gasol by the way also had a bad offensive game last night....and have you seen Kobe's hustle plays in this series? Kobe no doubt should get MVP.

By the way Kobe,Artest and Fisher dont get enough credit for their D on Allen, Pierce and Rondo its a Defensive series and them three are containing the Celtics back court along with PP for the most part.

kblo247
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Kobe is the guy who the Lakers go to during bail-out shots. Kobe took 11 shots when the clock was under 5 seconds. Jackson, Fisher, Kobe, and even Gasol were saying that they were stagnant and just throwing it to Kobe late looking for him to bail them out. Kobe went 8-18 not counting those shots (above average percentage at 44%).

Also, it is important to note that basketball is not all about statistics. Brian Shaw has made reference to this multiple times (and he has been criticized for being tough on Kobe at times by Laker fans). Shaw was saying that Kobe's presence has been extremely integral in Gasol's effectiveness this playoffs.

Not only does Kobe garner a huge amount of attention, but his off the court presence is huge as well. Kobe has spurned Gasol to lift weights (invariably leading to him getting stronger and more able bodied to go against KG). The Celtics constantly throw doubles and box and 1 formations at Kobe leading to really solid looks for Gasol (which he does not see when Kobe is on the court). I forgot where I saw the statistics, but this one person laid out Gasol's stats when Kobe is on the court as compared to when he is on the court and his stats are a lot better with Kobe's presence.

Ultimately, 27/6/5 may only be average for Kobe, but those are still damn fantastic and his man and help defense has been brilliant. The guy's presence on the court and his influence off it helps everybody on the team and that is why he is the unquestioned Finals MVP for the Lakers so far.

Mchale pointing that out about last nights game still gets me. That was a **** load of bailouts and broken down plays, but to go with what Phil says "Kobe is the best bad shot maker of all time"

JordansBulls
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Didn't Jordan shoot 41% versus the Sonics?
Didn't MJ go 14-33, 12-27, 9-26, and 15-35 ALL in the 98' Finals?

Kobe isn't Jordan by any means. He isn't better than MJ either, but he damn sure isn't playing that bad in retrospect compared to past benchmarks that were set by the greatest SG to ever lace up a pair of sneaks.

He is guarding Boston's best player. Look at the matchup from when Kobe was off the floor in game 2 as compared to him being on the court and Rondo being limited to 6 assists and 4 rebounds. He is the one who constantly gets the ball to the bigs. He is the one who in game 3 was all over the place on defense and doing every little thing, like setting the screens to get Fish off late, and leading the team in +/-. He simply has been the MVP of the Lakers in this series because they go how go, and if you need evidence of that just watch game 2.

His 2nd best player on his teams from 1996-1998 shot a worse fg% than he did and scored less.

But I figure if Tony Parker won Finals MVP over Tim Duncan, then I don't see why Gasol couldn't win it over Kobe.

JordansBulls
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Also Pierce won Finals MVP in 2008 despite Ray averagering just as much as him and shooting better than him.

Kevj77
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Doc Rivers said in his postgame that other players are open just because Kobe is on the court. It's not just about stats. Even if he has an off night his presence is still felt because you have to account for him still.

kblo247
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Also Pierce won Finals MVP in 2008 despite Ray averagering just as much as him and shooting better than him.

But he is the best player on the planet, so that is different.

tsb77
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Why are people so OFFENSIVE minded? Yes he may of not shot the best % but EVERYBODYS shooting % is down this series....its a defensive series which is why Kobe should get MVP containing Rondo means containing the Celtics and Kobe is doing just that. Pau Gasol by the way also had a bad offensive game last night....and have you seen Kobe's hustle plays in this series? Kobe no doubt should get MVP.

By the way Kobe,Artest and Fisher dont get enough credit for their D on Allen, Pierce and Rondo its a Defensive series and them three are containing the Celtics back court along with PP for the most part.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Mchale pointing that out about last nights game still gets me. That was a **** load of bailouts and broken down plays, but to go with what Phil says "Kobe is the best bad shot maker of all time"

Yup. Against a great defensive team, the Kobe's teammates can't expect him to hit a good percentage on those bail out shots as those are tough to hit anyways. The Celtics are stifling defensively and they are able to lock down late in the shot clock on those broken plays.

Kobe's bad shooting percentage was as much as an indictment on his supporting cast's inability to be aggressive and execute as it was on anything else.

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Tough to say, most likely yes, but to early to say right now.

DCB/LAL
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Maybe his D on Kobe(the Lakers best player) had something to do with that? :shrug:

Same goes for Kobe on Rondo this series.

L@ker4Life
06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Long way to go in this series...this should be brought up when we reach a closeout game

kblo247
06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Yup. Against a great defensive team, the Kobe's teammates can't expect him to hit a good percentage on those bail out shots as those are tough to hit anyways. The Celtics are stifling defensively and they are able to lock down late in the shot clock on those broken plays.

Kobe's bad shooting percentage was as much as an indictment on his supporting cast's inability to be aggressive and execute as it was on anything else.

Yep. People have a hard time getting that Kobe or Fisher for that matter getting a bad shot off is better than Pau or others not getting an attempts up at all.

Corey
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Seriously, we've played three games. This thread is entirely too premature.