PDA

View Full Version : David Stern is just fine with the officials. What is he smoking?????

ElToro
06-09-2010, 04:16 PM
If there is one thing the NBA loves, it's when the officials become the story.

Fans are talking about it. Players have been fitted with the shock-collars of heavy fines, which were applied liberally in the first rounds so now guys hold their tongues. The coaches try to be subtle. Doc Rivers was ironically complaining about another team holding.

But David Stern doesn't see what all the fuss is about. That's what he said to Dennis and Callahan on WEEI in Boston.

I was sitting at the game on Sunday, being very thankful that I wasn't an official because the pace and the speed and the intensity and the passion with which our guys play is very, very difficult to officiate. And once you make a decision that a foul has occurred in front of you and you are not going to call it, then you are endangering our players. That's all. And it's a hard job that these guys have. These games are particularly intense. The teams have enough time to figure out what they're going to do to the other. And they test the officials. They test them. They push and push and push. And if the officials don't step up, then you're going to have chaos and a game decided on (something) other than its merits. I recognized the risk that you are going to have a lot fouls called as well. But we've got very large bodies in small places, and it's our job, our duty to protect these players."

I think that as long as there are human beings officiating games, you're going to have a certain amount of missed every game that can only be made by going back and using instant replay. And balancing the desire to get it perfect with the need to have a game that is played in less than four hours is what keeps me up at night.

Well, that should just about take care of everything, right? Sure.http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/

ElMarroAfamado
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
i hate this but im glad the Lakers are ahead in the series
it gets annoying when their is a call ever other possession
just let them play man....

CowboysKB24
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
What do you expect him to say? You expect him to say that the officials aren't doing their job well and they need to make changes? Yeah that is the perfect thing to say during the NBA Finals. It is part of the game. We all have to deal with it. They aren't perfect.

Mudvayne91
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, the WWE is all about making money. Oops, I mean the NBA. So the longer this series goes, the more money they make.

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Indicas.

Sly Guy
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Indicas.

sativas

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm a sativa man myself, but stern I'm guessing is an indica guy

thescore53
06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
well the refs arent favoring anyone. theyre actually calling it evenly bad on both teams

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/

I would rather a referee miss an obvious foul than blow the whistle when no contact was made. In other words, I'd rather a player get away with committing a foul than be punished for a foul he didn't commit.

I think that's what most fans are upset with in the NBA Finals: Too many fouls are being called on players who made absolutely no contact with the opponent.

When you hear everyone saying "let them play," it means we'd rather a guy get hammed and have no call than have a guy get called for a touch foul when he didn't even make contact.

Unless the foul is CRYSTAL CLEAR, don't blow the whistle.

Lakersho
06-09-2010, 05:45 PM
stern is a dickweed...

Sly Guy
06-09-2010, 08:08 PM
well the refs arent favoring anyone. theyre actually calling it evenly bad on both teams

you are right. But that's because they want to extend the series.

Raidaz4Life
06-09-2010, 08:15 PM

exactly which is why I really don't have a problem with it.

MackShock
06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Well..The officials have done a really good job in these finals thus far. But theyve screwed my Warriors over vs the Nuggets twice this season.

JNA17
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM

this

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Well..The officials have done a really good job in these finals thus far. But theyve screwed my Warriors over vs the Nuggets twice this season.

Yes, majorly.

LA_Raiders
06-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Well, the WWE is all about making money. Oops, I mean the NBA. So the longer this series goes, the more money they make.

lol

ldc62
06-10-2010, 04:00 AM
So if you were David Stern, you would come out and say "The reffing has been god awful... the rules I implemented were garbage and I just ruined the playoffs for all the fans."???

Yeah didn't think so.

hornetsfansydne
06-10-2010, 04:26 AM
guys the refs needed to come out hard in the first game and set a precedent for the rest of the series. we dont want a situation where players are getting away with hard contact so the refs set the tone for the series. i would be willing to bet that the whole idea was to set the precedent that the first few games would be called very tightly then relax it a bit for the last 4 or 5 games but now with the media and fan outcry it will stay tight for the remainder of the series

ldc62
06-10-2010, 04:39 AM
guys the refs needed to come out hard in the first game and set a precedent for the rest of the series. we dont want a situation where players are getting away with hard contact so the refs set the tone for the series. i would be willing to bet that the whole idea was to set the precedent that the first few games would be called very tightly then relax it a bit for the last 4 or 5 games but now with the media and fan outcry it will stay tight for the remainder of the series

As stupid as this may sound... I might have to agree with u...

But then again its been like this all playoffs.

JiffyMix88
06-10-2010, 04:40 AM
stern is a dickweed...

to the title of the thread this is what stern would be smoking

bigtime1957
06-10-2010, 07:40 AM
The games are fixed!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS have been Always will be. Until you understand that, you will be behind the 8 ball..............

CLASSOF72
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Of course Stearn is happy he's in total control ...... the way a dictator should be.

hugepatsfan
06-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Overall - yes. But they ref in runs. The perfect example of this was game 2. The Lakers got every BS call in the 3rd, but then the refs ****ed them over in the 4th. It seems like they were trying to make sure they got a close game in the 4th by manipulating the score in the 3rd (letting the Lakers get back in it) but then giving the Celts back the game in the 4th.

Tony_Starks
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM

agreed.

jetsforever
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
No commish is ever going to come out and say the refs of their league are doing a bad job. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise.

MU and UW Fan
06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
It's ****ing David Stern. What do you expect?

Tony_Starks
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Maybe Im in the minority but I think Stern is the best commish in sports.

mikantsass
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
To answer your OP, he is smoking Dust...

JNA17
06-10-2010, 12:56 PM
he's smoking money. or at least he was until he lost about $400 million of it last year.

Chronz
06-10-2010, 01:03 PM
hybrids

*Silver&Black*
06-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Why would Stern be mad? They are doing what he wants them to. People just needs to not show up at games and not watch them to hurt the rigged NBA.

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
What do you expect him to say? You expect him to say that the officials aren't doing their job well and they need to make changes? Yeah that is the perfect thing to say during the NBA Finals. It is part of the game. We all have to deal with it. They aren't perfect.

What I was thinking.

Niro
06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
i think hes smoking weed

dRa1niNg_ 3s
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
The NBA needs to get rid of David Stern Period!! Dude is ruining the league. The league is fixed and everyone knows it!

I woudnt be surprised if this series goes 7 games to make more money.