PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson New Jersey Nets new coach

ElToro
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
You knew the little general was going to get a job somewhere this summer. Looks like he got a prime one.

ESPN's Marc Stein is reporting via twitter that the Nets have reached a verbal agreement with Avery Johnson on a contract to become their next head coach. The talks didn't last long, which is not a shock as this is ultimately a negotiation with a billionaire, it probably wasn't hard to reach a number Johnson is comfortable with.

The Hawks are said to still have interest in Johnson but they moved at a deliberate pace, and Johnson has found where he wants to be.

The Nets wanted a guy who knew how to win ad Johnson had success as a coach in Dallas, winning coach of the year in 2005 and taking the team to the NBA finals in 2006 (only to run into the Dwyane Wade machine). For the past couple of years he has been an analyst with ESPN.

Going to the Nets would reunite Johnson with point guard Devin Harris. This is a team that has a few good pieces, a new owner willing to spend, a lot of cap room and is moving to a new building in Brooklyn in a few years. This is a team on the rise and a great place to be coach right now. So long as the Nets start winning...Soon.http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5268483
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/nets-negotiating-with-avery-johnson-to-become-coach.php

Young2Kinsler
06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Since when was the worst team in the NBA a "prime" job, lmao

*Superman*
06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Already posted....

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Good signing. Avery johnsons a good coach. Small, but good.

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Since when was the worst team in the NBA a "prime" job, lmao

There's a difference between bad teams and bad organizations. The Nets are a class organization, the previous owner was preparing to sell thats why he offloaded all of his big name players(salary cuts). Avery Johnson is about to be the coach of a big market team(Brooklyn Nets) with an owner that doesn't care about spending. Sounds like a "prime" job to me.

CHItown_23
06-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Good coach, but not enough to help the Nets...:rolleyes:

MJ-BULLS
06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
good for the nets.

The Jokemaker
06-09-2010, 07:40 PM
The nets got stuck losing early then well lost a lot. A fresh start to the season and another year of experience for some of those young guys will do them a lot of good. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see them in playoff contention next season. They have good young talent.

clehmun
06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
net's are underrated. they have a lot of good pieces + cap + pick.
i would trade the raptors situation for the nets even if bosh resigns.

harris + lopez + derrick favors + lee + t will + CDR + cap space (another all-star) + good coach + billionaire owner
looks a lot better than
bosh + 30 million locked up for 5 years in (bargnani + calderon + turkoglu) + derozan + weems + jack + jay triano.

and that's IF bosh resigns. if not, raptors look even worse.

MSG34
06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Good move. He was my first choice for the knicks job before D'antoni was hired.

Burkey3472
06-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Solid choice by the Nets. The Nets have some good young pieces (plus the 3rd pick) and if they end up getting a solid player via FA they could turn it around in a couple of years.

MackShock
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Congrats to Avery...it was either the Nets or the Warriors.

masalex1205
06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
good hire

Kakaroach
06-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Great move but it does mean he will prolly have a some power in the front office. We'll find out if thats good or bad down the road I guess.

td0tsfinest
06-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I've never been a big fan of Avery Johnson but this is an excellent chance for him to prove me wrong.

RaptorsFanatic
06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
net's are underrated. they have a lot of good pieces + cap + pick.
i would trade the raptors situation for the nets even if bosh resigns.

harris + lopez + derrick favors + lee + t will + CDR + cap space (another all-star) + good coach + billionaire owner
looks a lot better than
bosh + 30 million locked up for 5 years in (bargnani + calderon + turkoglu) + derozan + weems + jack + jay triano.

and that's IF bosh resigns. if not, raptors look even worse.

Why did you have to bring up the Raptors? There is no relevancy to them in this thread.

Dieselpi
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
i think too much is made of the owners willingness to spend
sure the guy has money, and hes not afraid to use it

but its not like baseball where he can just spend till he decides hes done, theres a cap
they can spend but need to spend smart. Hopefully for the nets sake he hands the check book over to whoever is in charge and doesnt get too involved in personel decisions.

The Final Boss
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
good move

bahama0811
06-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Good move by the Nets.

n83417
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
He was on WEEI radio this morning, and said he would love to coach again, but didn't even hint that he was in discussion or that anything was imminent. Kinda funny.