PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: NBA gets an 'A' for diversity

JNA17
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The NBA still leads the way in sports diversity.

The NBA was again the only men's professional sports league to receive a combined "A" for race and gender in the annual report released Wednesday by the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport.

The league had slight decreases for blacks in front-office positions but is still the best among men's pro sports. Women made up 44 percent of professional employees at the league offices.

The study shows 77 percent of the NBA players were black, 18 percent white, 3 percent Latino, 1 percent Asian and 1 percent "other." International players stayed steady at 18 percent.

The report is based on information published in official team guides at the beginning of the 2009-10 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5267604

jrice9
06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
How is it diverse for 78% of the league to be black?

clutchski
06-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I would have thought professional soccer leagues around the world would trump the NBA in terms of diversity..

CowboysKB24
06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
NBA is black. What the heck are you talking about?

Players are mostly black.
Owners coaches and owners are mostly white.

That is the way it is. It is starting to change with coaches and owners. White players are decreasing in the NBA while black owners and coaches are increasing in the NBA.

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
How is it diverse for 78% of the league to be black?

Hey smart guy, I don't think they meant diverse as far as players are concernerned because the NFL is 65% Black. I think they were talking more about coaching and other front office personnel. For example, theres only one black owner in all of sports and he just happens to be in the NBA. The NBA probably had more black coaches than the NFL and MLB combined.

king4day
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought the NHL would get an 'A' before the NBA did

IAmKira
06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
How is it 1% asian when theres only 2 asian in the league and theres 450+ players in the league? NBA can't do math? or r we rounding it up or something?

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM

:laugh2:

IAmKira
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM

I think u dunno wat the word "Diversity" maybe try googling it?

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 02:08 PM
How is it 1% asian when theres only 2 asian in the league and theres 450+ players in the league? NBA can't do math? or r we rounding it up or something?

Perhaps those from the Middle East are considered "Asian" because those countries are in Asia. Or maybe they just rounded up to 1% from .45401095% or whatever.

Rivera
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
according to dictionary.com diversity means

1. the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness.
2. variety; multiformity.
3. a point of difference.

now tell me how being 78% black has variety??? n nba may have more front office black now but the article is clearly stating abt the players

if anything the nba is racist against white PR's and asians!

:rolleyes:

PrettyBoyJ
06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

now tell me how being 78% black has variety??? n nba may have more front office black now but the article is clearly stating abt the players

78% maybe a lot but there tlkin among other sports the nba has more diversity..

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 02:53 PM

In the article, the paragraph about the front office diversity comes first, right after the introduction, so how is the article "clearly about the players"?

MaHaRaJaH
06-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Because China isn't the only country in Asia.

BOSTON617
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
ok this is the dumbest article ever lol!!!!!!!! I THINK THE NFL IS WAY MORE DIVERSE?

JNA17
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
to be honest i thought baseball would win this. I don't know the numbers but i always seen a lot of pretty much everything. Blacks, whites, Dominican, purto rican, hispanic, etc.

Hockey i think we all know the answer to that one.
Football is almost same to basketball, mostly blacks and some whites with others.
Soccer, kind of an unfair comparison since the whole world plays it.

jetsforever
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I think u dunno wat the word "Diversity" maybe try googling it?

Maybe try googling "sarcasm" :laugh2:

DerekRE_3
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
:laugh2:

JabberJaw
06-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I love how people try to spin it like the NBA is racist, instead of diverse. Soccer "LEAGUES" don't count because it is multiple leagues. Depends on the league you are talking about, really. As for American sports it is easily the most diverse. Look at all the international talent coming in and making an impact, along side what was already established. Yes, there are a majority of black players, but front office and coaches are mostly occupied by Caucasion men. The NBA does so much to reach out to other regions in the world. They are the only league that seems to really try to expand beyond our borders. The only other athletic organization that seems to be extremely diverse is the UFC.

DerekRE_3
06-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I love how people try to spin it like the NBA is racist, instead of diverse. Soccer "LEAGUES" don't count because it is multiple leagues. Depends on the league you are talking about, really. As for American sports it is easily the most diverse. Look at all the international talent coming in and making an impact, along side what was already established. Yes, there are a majority of black players, but front office and coaches are mostly occupied by Caucasion men. The NBA does so much to reach out to other regions in the world. They are the only league that seems to really try to expand beyond our borders. The only other athletic organization that seems to be extremely diverse is the UFC.

I don't think people are trying to spin it that way. In the NBA, the best players make it. That's how it should be. It just so happens that more black players make it than any other race. Who cares? That's not racism that's just how it worked out.

rhino17
06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
what a dumb *** study, most of the league is 1 race/ethnicity. Also, who gives a ****?

BOSTON617
06-09-2010, 03:39 PM
to be honest i thought baseball would win this. I don't know the numbers but i always seen a lot of pretty much everything. Blacks, whites, Dominican, purto rican, hispanic, etc.

Hockey i think we all know the answer to that one.
Football is almost same to basketball, mostly blacks and some whites with others.
Soccer, kind of an unfair comparison since the whole world plays it.

ya i actually agree with baseball

baseball
football
basketball
hockey

igPay atinLay
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
RACE DOES NOT MATTER

RACE SHOULD NOT MATTER

RACE DOES NOT TELL YOU OF SOMEONE'S CAPABILITY

PEOPLE SHOULD FOCUS ON VALUES, ETHICS, AND INTEGRITY AND NOT RACE

Focusing on race only lays a foundation for hate and bigotry.

iggypop123
06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
i hate it when people cry about no blacks being in baseball. hello! they are all in football and basketball.

Atticus Finch
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Diversity doesn't only include race, the article clearly states 44% of office positions were filled by women. I doubt football and baseball can match that percentage. Baseball is arguably the most culturally diverse sport, but central and south Americans all get grouped into the "Hispanic" label.

Anyways the study should focus on socioeconomic factors instead of skin color.

Atticus Finch
06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry double post

TopsyTurvy
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I would have thought professional soccer leagues around the world would trump the NBA in terms of diversity..

Football is the world's game - of course it's the most diverse, but that does not mean there is any sort of racial parity among its professionals not to mention sexual discrimination. For example, Paul Ince was the first and I believe only black manager of an EPL team - Blackburn.

Football is about as diverse as the number of languages which can be used to shout a racial epitaph.

http://www.kickitout.org/

IAmKira
06-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Because China isn't the only country in Asia.

Who the hell is it to blame for that? Can u name me more players thats not from china and is from "ASIA"?

SundaeBest
06-09-2010, 04:36 PM

It's not that the NBA can't do math....it's that you can't read...the poll surveyed people working in all aspects of the NBA, not just players. :facepalm:

IversonIsKrazy
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
wut abt MLS?

td0tsfinest
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM

same here.

td0tsfinest
06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Who the hell is it to blame for that? Can u name me more players thats not from china and is from "ASIA"?

what about This Guy (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hamed_haddadi/index.html) ?

Korman12
06-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty surprised with how stupid a lot of these responses are.

The NFL is more diverse? Yeah, with all those international football players we all know.

The article clearly, clearly states that it also includes employees and team personnel.

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM

I like how you write "ASIA" as if it were a fictional geographic region.

Geargo Wallace
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM

We need some more Asians to get that math up

td0tsfinest
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM

There's actually 3. Hammed Haddadi is the 3rd one.

Korman12
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
There's actually 3. Hammed Haddadi is the 3rd one.

Omri Casspi? Hedo Turkoglu? Ilyasova? Okur?

td0tsfinest
06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Omri Casspi? Hedo Turkoglu? Ilyasova? Okur?

Is Turkey asia or europe?

But ye, Casspi is another one. Good job, I missed that one.

DerekRE_3
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Casspiiiii!!!!!

Korman12
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Is Turkey asia or europe?

But ye, Casspi is another one. Good job, I missed that one.

Asia.

td0tsfinest
06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Asia.

Actually, I just looked it up and Turkey belongs to both. The northwestern portion ,Thrace, is part of Europe, while the other portion ,Anatolia, is part of Asia.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Guess having a lot of blacks makes it diverse...

Korman12
06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Ahh.

BOSTON617
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
i'm pretty surprised with how stupid a lot of these responses are.

The nfl is more diverse? Yeah, with all those international football players we all know.

The article clearly, clearly states that it also includes employees and team personnel.

ok your right the nba is way more divers then the nfl but if you noticed some of the best football player of the past decade are black- tomilson, moss, etc white- tom brady, manning, etc asian- hines ward, dat tan nguyen, etc spanish tony gonzalaz, tony romo- jeff garcia etc i mean nba the whole celtics team is black and scalebrinie like im not bin racist but name a nfl team with notone dif race on it?

MaHaRaJaH
06-10-2010, 11:44 AM
It's not that the NBA can't do math....it's that you can't read...the poll surveyed people working in all aspects of the NBA, not just players. :facepalm:

Thank you.

MaHaRaJaH
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM
We need some more Asians to get that math up

lmao
Well Geographically Russia _is_ in Asia but politically it's not so I don't know where that puts Russian players :shrug:

awmathewsjr
06-10-2010, 11:50 AM
ok your right the nba is way more divers then the nfl but if you noticed some of the best football player of the past decade are black- tomilson, moss, etc white- tom brady, manning, etc asian- hines ward, dat tan nguyen, etc spanish tony gonzalaz, tony romo- jeff garcia etc i mean nba the whole celtics team is black and scalebrinie like im not bin racist but name a nfl team with notone dif race on it?

First you're an idiot because the celtics are just one team. And once again for all the dummies out there, espn is not just talking about players they're also talking about FO personnel, coaching staff and owners. No one else is close to the NBA as far as diversity is concerned

BOSTON617
06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
First you're an idiot because the celtics are just one team. And once again for all the dummies out there, espn is not just talking about players they're also talking about FO personnel, coaching staff and owners. No one else is close to the NBA as far as diversity is concerned

I UNDERSTAND THEY ARE TALKIN ABOUT COACHING SO ON AND SO FOURTH BUT NFL HAS PLENTY OF DIVERSE COACHES BRO????????? LOL NBA MIGHT HAVE THE COACHES BUT ITS CLOSE.... WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO NAME ANOTHER TEAM WITH ALL BLACK PLAYERS OK CAVS, ANOTHER? TRAILBLAZERS, HEAT, ATL, NJ, NUGGETS, SPURS, AND I MEAN THOS TEAMS MIGHT HAVE ONE WHITE GUY BUT THERE ARE MULTIPLE TEAMS JUST SAYIN JUST MY OPINION IM LAYIN FACTS DOWN LOL SO I DONT GET HOW IM DUMB FOR GIVING MY OPINION IN A THREAD ON PSD LOL :facepalm: CLOWNS

nfl also has multiple head coaches and def off cordinators that are dif races

Lapchick added, "The NFL received its highest overall grades ever in the history of the NFL Racial and Gender Report Card. The National Football League achieved an A- grade on racial hiring practices and a C on gender hiring practices in the 2009 NFL Racial and Gender Report Card. This gave the NFL a combined B. In the history of the NFL Racial and Gender Report Card, those are the best grades ever received in each category for the NFL."

so it includes females to did not know that

IversonIsKrazy
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Theres like 4 asian I think in the NBA. Turkey Is in EUROPE, not Asia, maybe both, but I'm pretty sure its in Europe. THink abt soccer, when they do the tourny's Euro and Asia, Turkey plays part in the Euro.

O yea, and it says most diverse league in NOrth America, so the soccer leagues wouldn't count, unless you would put in MLS. I'm still surprised that NBA is more diverse than MLS

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM

x2

sep11ie
06-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Must be the 7 white guys and 2 Chinese players.

Corey
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Must be the 7 white guys and 2 Chinese players.

The article isn't talking about just players...

D1JM
06-10-2010, 02:38 PM
aaron gray would dominate an all white nba league

arkanian215
06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I think Omri counts as well.

sep11ie
06-10-2010, 03:04 PM
The article isn't talking about just players...

My bad, the 7 white guys, 2 chineses, one black ref, and the lady ref...

arkanian215
06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
wut abt MLS?

Owners aren't very diverse. I think there's one guy of Asian descent (the guy who owns DC United) out of all the owners. The coaches for the most part are diverse although I don't think there are any black coaches. About 40% of the players are foreigners and that percentage should increase next year.
I think the Dynamo were the most American team for the past few years at least in terms of their starting XI (currently at 66.6%).

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/

Try that. It's just in terms of players though. Top leagues will have lots of foreign investment.

League - Percent of Players that are Foreigners
EPL - 64.2%
SuperLiga - 53.8%
Super League - 50%
Bundesliga - 49%
Championship - 47.4%
SPL - 44.6%
Premier Liga - 43.8%
Serie A - 43.4%
Ligue 1 - 42.8%
Eredivisie - 41.2%
MLS - 40%