PDA

View Full Version : Did Doc Rivers cost Boston game three by pulling Garnett early?

m26555
06-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I think he did. He pulled Garnett in the first quarter and sat him until about the halfway point of the second. It's no coincidence that the Lakers went on their run when he was out of the game. Boston then went on a 9-0 run as soon as Garnett came back in. KG abused Gasol all night and was a dominant presence on both ends of the floor. Had Rivers simply left him in early on, I think we might be looking at a very different game three result.

mikantsass
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I saw your post in the other forum, and I disagree. There were many things that contributed to the loss last night.

mikantsass
06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Woops didnt see the poll, I went with the "Somewhat" option

BOSTON617
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
kg played a hell of a game i mean we just played awful nothing doc did wrong just shots weren't dropping.... kg on the other hand looked great

LA_Raiders
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
it was part of it, I dont know why, coaches do that, I guess thats part of their ego or their so called "coaching basics"...

Lakersho
06-09-2010, 10:31 AM
k.g. played the best i've seen him in a year or two, that being said nope couldn't hit shots...

CowboysKB24
06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
It wasn't Doc's fault. He probably should have kept him in, when you look at it now it is easier to say that. It is rarely one person's fault in the NBA. It wasn't the case last night.

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 10:47 AM
KG being in the game wouldn't have made Ray Allen's shot fall. Not to mention Derrick Fisher went nutz in the 4th quarter. It was a good game though.

m26555
06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
It wasn't Doc's fault. He probably should have kept him in, when you look at it now it is easier to say that. It is rarely one person's fault in the NBA. It wasn't the case last night.
I said it was a mistake as soon as it happened.

I probably should have worded the poll differently, though. I should have just asked if it was the "main" reason why Boston lost.

Gibby23
06-09-2010, 10:57 AM
KG is 34 years old with a bad knee. he would have been worn out by the 2nd half. It's not like he adds rebounding, where the Celtics were getting handled.

Avenged
06-09-2010, 11:05 AM
It played a major part I'll tell you that.

Doc sat him out for about 8 minutes, that's way too long for a player that had the hot hand. I could understand Doc trying to keep him fresh for crunch time but this is the Finals, let players give it their all.

avrpatsfan
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
His big mistake was keeping Ray Allen in. He should have plugged in Nate at SG.

Gibby23
06-09-2010, 11:10 AM

I wish he would have done that.

jetsforever
06-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Definatly.

His biggest mistake was probably not doing that actually. He wasnt very good last night (Rivers) but you cant blame the entire loss on him. He was part of the problem. He didnt cost his team though.

Ray_R
06-09-2010, 11:18 AM
No. Ray Allen's 0-for was more significant. But many things contributed to the loss.

m26555
06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
KG is 34 years old with a bad knee. he would have been worn out by the 2nd half. It's not like he adds rebounding, where the Celtics were getting handled.
Garnett was in on almost every rebound while he was in the game. Even if he wasn't grabbing every board, he made his presence felt on every missed shot. This is the probably the first time we disagree on something, Gibby. lol.

It played a major part I'll tell you that.

Doc sat him out for about 8 minutes, that's way too long for a player that had the hot hand. I could understand Doc trying to keep him fresh for crunch time but this is the Finals, let players give it their all.
Exactly.

shep33
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Nah i think those were good minutes for KG, and I don't think Doc wants to play him extremely heavy minutes especially when they got a game coming up right away.

Celtics offense looked weird, its almost as if say one player like KG goes off, then other guys kinda don't get in rhythm at all.

I think LA is okay with Garnett scoring, as long as it keeps the ball out of Rondo's hands.

Ray had a tough game, but LA's defense was better, he had 3-4 open looks but people kinda think he's just a machine that's gonna hit them all. Also Kobe was in the game a lot more this time, he sat on the bench for 14 minutes in game 2. When you guard Kobe it'll have a toll on you one way or another.

m26555
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Nah i think those were good minutes for KG, and I don't think Doc wants to play him extremely heavy minutes especially when they got a game coming up right away.

Celtics offense looked weird, its almost as if say one player like KG goes off, then other guys kinda don't get in rhythm at all.

I think LA is okay with Garnett scoring, as long as it keeps the ball out of Rondo's hands.

Ray had a tough game, but LA's defense was better, he had 3-4 open looks but people kinda think he's just a machine that's gonna hit them all. Also Kobe was in the game a lot more this time, he sat on the bench for 14 minutes in game 2. When you guard Kobe it'll have a toll on you one way or another.
You can't think that way in the Finals, though.

ToldYa
06-09-2010, 01:04 PM
he did that AND kept ray allen in the game for so long when it clearly wasnt his day

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
KG was goin off, and I remember thinking to myself why doc pulled him so early. But plain and simple Kg was the only starter that stepped up that game. Rays performance was shocking.

Randy West
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Rivers has other guards he could play........if Allen can't get it going you need to see if someone else can. I know who is never going to score you any points or get on a hot streak......the guy you don't try that night.

Bruno
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
That probably had a lot to do with Boston losing the early momentum, but ultimately they lost the game in the 4th. They were right there.

boolish
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
not at all. doc knows that a guy who hasn't been missing is about to start missing. kg was gassed. this one is on the players who got flat out beat by LA.

Sadds The Gr8
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
wtf is with all these excuses for boston losing?

tr4shb0t
06-09-2010, 11:22 PM
they sure miss those dirty screens when he's out

dnl123
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Ray Allen never misses that many shots, that's definitely a bigger cause then resting an older player, but I do agree that it was interesting. I'm a big believer in giving guys the ball when they're hot and KG was 5 for 5 and attacking Gasol when they took him out and rested him. It certainly wouldn't have hurt them to keep feeding him the ball until he cooled off.

still1ballin
06-10-2010, 12:04 AM

LoLz @ your sig

Lakersho
06-10-2010, 12:20 AM

i liked my sig til i seen this yours, man the one line zingers you could put to that...:clap::clap: where "I GOT YOUR BACKS HAPPENS "