PDA

View Full Version : Are timeouts and foul calls killing the NBA?

Boston Faithful
06-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Can you imagine a game that went through an entire quarter without any fouls or timeouts?

I believe in the second quarter of tonight's game, there was a timeout every two minutes. Yes, every two minutes. On top of a million foul calls.

It would be amazing to watch a basketball game that ran on pure momentum. No matter how much momentum the one team had, the game kept going. No timeouts or fouls to bail you out.

I think it would boost the ratings and interest in basketball.

Any thoughts?

kblo247
06-09-2010, 02:46 AM
So the bright idea is to not kill the NBA by stopping timeouts and foul calls, which means no commercials or advertisements? Yeah that revenue loss wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone the league :facepalm:

DodgerBulls
06-09-2010, 03:03 AM
No timeouts = Exhaustion

No fouls = Injuries

Rugby perhaps? It's fun to watch!

Oh also, I guess the NBA won't need coaches...

iggypop123
06-09-2010, 03:12 AM
son, in the playoffs you have what are called tv timeouts.

Avenged
06-09-2010, 03:13 AM
For street ball sure but not for the NBA.

Timeouts are what keeps the flow of the game going. Imagine a game without timeouts and foul calls? Not only would the players be exhausted out of their minds but it would be a 5 on 5 game throughout. How would subs get in? Should players just knock the hell of out the opposing players since "foul calls are killing the NBA"?

hornetsfansydne
06-09-2010, 03:24 AM
Yes I believe timeouts are especially not so much the foul calls because the players do need to be protected from injury. The NBA has way too many timeouts. I think the best idea would be to use the FIBA idea of timeouts, 2 in the first and 3 in the second half. None of this 20 second timeout **** or calling a timeout because you get trapped at half court. Timeouts only allowed after the opposition scores or the clock is stopped from some reason.
The fouls could also be improved by using the FIBA approach as well. 4 team fouls per quarter once the fifth foul is reached 2 shots. None of the 2 fouls in the last two minutes puts you in the penalty or whatever the rule is Im not too sure

Avenged
06-09-2010, 03:29 AM
Heck lets just put JVG idea out there and add 7 fouls instead. ;)

WITZ
06-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Fouls & timeouts aren't killing anything when called fairly.Fouls in game 2 were insane something like 37-14 freethrow advantage for lakers entering the 4th just horrible.

junion
06-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Fouls & timeouts aren't killing anything when called fairly.Fouls in game 2 were insane something like 37-14 freethrow advantage for lakers entering the 4th just horrible.

you forgot to mention the Lakers had 15 more free throws.. also, you forgot to mention that the celtics were hacking the centers bynum and pau to try to prevent them from making an easy layup/dunk, while the lakers were called for fouls while the celtics were on the dribble.

also, you forgot to mention that the celtics and the lakers both committed 29 fouls each. the difference is where they were fouling the other team.

MoBASS
06-09-2010, 04:07 AM
So the bright idea is to not kill the NBA by stopping timeouts and foul calls, which means no commercials or advertisements? Yeah that revenue loss wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone the league :facepalm:

Soccer does just fine without timeouts and stoppages for foul calls.

JordansBulls
06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Can you imagine a game that went through an entire quarter without any fouls or timeouts?

I believe in the second quarter of tonight's game, there was a timeout every two minutes. Yes, every two minutes. On top of a million foul calls.

It would be amazing to watch a basketball game that ran on pure momentum. No matter how much momentum the one team had, the game kept going. No timeouts or fouls to bail you out.

Any thoughts?

So if the game starts at 8 pm you want it to finish by 9 pm instead of 10:45 pm?

Sly Guy
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM

this.

But it's not the fact there are fouls, it's just the refs are handing out fouls like candy on hallowe'en, and giving those sought after chocolate candies to their favorite teams at the end of games.

CowboysKB24
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
It isn't going to change, I feel like there is no reason to talk about this. It sucks, but were going to deal with it this year. Nothing is getting changed right now.

Double_R
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
What's killing the NBA is David Stern and the absolutely terrible and inconsistent officiating. David Stern doesn't care about the actual basketball fan, he cares about money, money, and more money, which is starting to affect the quality of games. Ever since this recession, the NBA officiating has gotten worse and worse.

Lakersho
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Any thoughts?
that your threads make no sence ,i think your left at home all by your self might be scared of the dark so you make up horseshit threads to keep your mind off it...

arkanian215
06-09-2010, 11:01 AM

What are you talking about? It takes about 30 seconds to set up a free kick if the foul occurs in the final third.

macc
06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
No timeouts = Exhaustion

No fouls = Injuries

Rugby perhaps? It's fun to watch!

Oh also, I guess the NBA won't need coaches...

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Us as fans like non stop action but trust me, those foul calls and timeouts give the players a chance to regain a little bit of energy back. Anyone who plays sports knows this.

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Not gonna lie, these refs are getting outta control!

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
The refs are certainly hurting the Finals. Making the games ugly to watch. Last night's game was a slog....whistles every 30 seconds of game time, reviewed plays, etc. Hard to watch.

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
^ very hard to watch at times...

Randy West
06-09-2010, 02:04 PM
No it is not killing the game

Millionaire athletes acting like little babies every time a foul is called on them is what is disgusting.

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 02:19 PM
No it is not killing the game

Millionaire athletes acting like little babies every time a foul is called on them is what is disgusting.

I hate your comment but love your username :dance:

Randy West
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I hate your comment but love your username :dance:

So you don't think prancing halfway down the court when a whistle is blown wastes time?

These players acting like spoiled little children every time a foul is called on them wastes a whole bunch of time imo.

PrettyBoyJ
06-09-2010, 02:29 PM
No Fouls No Timeouts?? Thats stupid.. Timeouts are very useful.. esecially when a team is making a run at you and you need to regroup.. The fouls that have been called are bs but doesnt mean you can take away fouls from the game.. I suppose we should allow traveling and walking out of bounds next

still1ballin
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
LoLz at this thread

znick21
06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
there's entirely too many fouls called every game. timeouts are fine, but i hate watching games where it's foul on one end, the other team takes it down and then foul on that end. it's boring and encourages flopping and players whining about every call.

C_Mund
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
The real problem is that the opposite hurts the league as well.
During the late 90's there were far fewer fouls called and the product was a brutally tough yet sloooooow game. Scores dropped to the high 80's and low 90's on average, field goal percentages were down and nobody wanted to attack the rim for fear of getting smashed. It just wasn't as fun to watch.
Perhaps the bigwigs have overcompensated, but the game has still become more dynamic in the last 8-10 years.

GSW Hoops
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
So you don't think prancing halfway down the court when a whistle is blown wastes time?

These players acting like spoiled little children every time a foul is called on them wastes a whole bunch of time imo.

No, I agree with you. Whining is very childish and hurts the game for us fans.

Having said that, I don't mind a player complaining about an obvious BAD call. If they have a legitimate beef, it's okay. It's the players who complain after EVERY call that get on my nerves.

MaHaRaJaH
06-09-2010, 02:45 PM
for street ball sure but not for the nba.

Timeouts are what keeps the flow of the game going. Imagine a game without timeouts and foul calls? Not only would the players be exhausted out of their minds but it would be a 5 on 5 game throughout. How would subs get in? Should players just knock the hell of out the opposing players since "foul calls are killing the nba"?

+1

sep11ie
06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
So we need 87 threads about how bad NBA officials are huh.

JNA17
06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
these refs threads are gonna be the death of PSD -_-

sep11ie
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
these refs threads are gonna be the death of PSD -_-

Did we just become best friends?

jackdawson
06-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Any thoughts?

wow :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

How on earth coach will put the substitutes in the game???? Players would be exhausted as hell. And what about the commercials???

Bostonfaithful, your thread making quality has been awful. Please, take some time off of creating new threads on daily basis and get experience first. PSD quality would be better off with you not making threads.

uknowmyname
06-14-2010, 11:02 PM
What's killing the NBA is David Stern and the absolutely terrible and inconsistent officiating. David Stern doesn't care about the actual basketball fan, he cares about money, money, and more money, which is starting to affect the quality of games. Ever since this recession, the NBA officiating has gotten worse and worse.

AGREED! I think the only time Stern touched a basketball is for a photo op. I want to see and NBA player run the league, that knows how the game needs to be played and officiated. Stern is nothing but a sellout. Teams don't play D anymore and nothing but ticky tack fouls. How many times a game do you see a player fall down and get bailed out by the refs?