PDA

View Full Version : New potential owner tries to seize control of Clippers from Sterling

MoBASS
06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Would LeBron James be willing to play for the Los Angeles Clippers if Donald Sterling no longer owned the team? Billionaire entertainment mogul David Geffen wants to find out.

A source close to the situation confirmed reports that Geffen is interested in purchasing a majority share of the Clippers -- and that the long-shot attempt to convince Sterling to cede operating control of the team is among the reasons James and close friend Maverick Carter were in Los Angeles over the weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5264616

Seriously, if racist Sterling is out why wouldn't LeBron come to LA? Don't give me the whole "curse of the Clippers" B.S.: that's garbage. The Clippers have the best supporting cast out of any potential LeBron suitor:

Davis
Gordon
LeBron
Blake Griffin
Kaman

+ a top ten draft pick. That lineup will DEVASTATE. If LeBron really wants to win he'll be smart and come to LA. Everything he's looking for is here.

abe_froman
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
paper and actual are two different things,while looks impressive because they are/were high draft picks..they dont play defense and arent that efficient

oak2455
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5264616

Seriously, if racist Sterling is out why wouldn't LeBron come to LA? Don't give me the whole "curse of the Clippers" B.S.: that's garbage. The Clippers have the best supporting cast out of any potential LeBron suitor:

Davis
Gordon
LeBron
Blake Griffin
Kaman

+ a top ten draft pick. That lineup will DEVASTATE. If LeBron really wants to win he'll be smart and come to LA. Everything he's looking for is here.

I think your wrong and this is why they will always be second to the Lakers as the Mets are to the Yankees and the Jets to the Giants......thats just my thinking:eyebrow:

losbreezy
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
lol is this a joke

http://www.twitter.com/LosBreezy

Chacarron
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Their jersey colors may not be cool enough for Lebron :shrug:

ValuePick
06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I do like some of their pieces, maybe get a new PG somewhere down the line. Griffin and Gordon would fit with LeBron IMO.

97NYer
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Well it wouldn't be a terrible idea. 1st overall draft pick in Blake Griffin, all-star Center in Chris Kaman, good point guard in Baron Davis (Though he is regressing) and promising young guard in Eric Gordon. Plus a top 10 draft pick.

AI4MVP
06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
i said from the begining before anyone that Lebron should go to the clippers.

Baron David, Eric Gordan, LeBron James, Blake Griffin, and Chris Kaman would absolrutely win championships and is far better then any other team he could go to. Him and Blake Griffin would be absolrutely unstoppable

LTS
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I would just like to see him and kobe same city differnt teams see who wins popualrity then... anyway hes probably not willing to risk it so he will go with a safer choice

MoBASS
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
i said from the begining before anyone that Lebron should go to the clippers.

Baron David, Eric Gordan, LeBron James, Blake Griffin, and Chris Kaman would absolrutely win championships and is far better then any other team he could go to. Him and Blake Griffin would be absolrutely unstoppable

This summer we're gonna see whether LeBron is really about winning or whether he's satisfied with being an entertainer. If it's the latter that's really sad.. :facepalm:

macc
06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Don't we have a Lebron speculation thread......not sayin I'm just sayin.....

oak2455
06-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Which part....lol:)

Bruno
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
IF LBJ comes to LA it is officially the basketball Mecca of the world. Sorry, but that combined with NY not winning a title since the 70's merits a changing of the guard.

JNA17
06-08-2010, 04:36 PM
will never happen, even with logical reasons

Beengully26
06-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I see where your going with this............but its the CLIPPERS LOL , sorry man not happening....

GoBulls1
06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
LOL what are you serious, what pipe are you smoking?

abe_froman
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
IF LBJ comes to LA it is officially the basketball Mecca of the world. Sorry, but that combined with NY not winning a title since the 70's merits a changing of the guard.
hell i think you can make that case right now,with or without james going there.i certainly put it higher on the "mecca" list than ny

will never happen, even with logical reasons
...and this,sorry clip fans

steve_garcia21
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey Clipper fans, Lebron wants to win titles, titles, titles, he is not gonna do that in LA, your owner is cheap and u dont have the roster, he is gonna go to the Bulls with Rose, Deng, Noah, Gibson..etc..that is gonna win titles..

ValuePick
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, the major problem with this is, why compete with Kobe when he can own another city.

Da Knicks
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
They are all entertainers my friend but they have to wait their turn kobe waited his and now its lebrons turn. Lebron is the better actor imo he has all of us tuned to his every move. Lebron could go to the clippers but that would not be a good rivalry he needs to meet in the finals with the lakers not the wcf. I still think to make the nba more enjoyable they need more contrevarsy I still think Phil Jackson to the Knicks or Heat put a bunch of stars on that team and say its all lebron that got it done. Send Popovich to the lakers along with manu to get argentina to watch. The press conference should then would be priceless with all the ego of these guys jackson and popovich are my faves man those guys are funny!

Putting some more international players on those teams would make it better lets see they would cover-
Italy-danilo gallinari, kobe
Argentina-manu
Spain-gasol
Mexico-Najera someone could sign him for cheap
congo-bmenga
I forget where sasha is from
They tried it once with all international spurs but it was a small market and didnt get the appropriate hype this time the big markets would make it explode!

Bruno
06-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I hope this happens (not them getting LeBron, but this new guy ousting Sterling). Sterling is garbage. I can't tell who's more garbage, Sterling or AL Davis.

abe_froman
06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope this happens (not them getting LeBron, but this new guy ousting Sterling). Sterling is garbage. I can't tell who's more garbage, Sterling or AL Davis.

sterling def,davis was good and actually had a mind at one point

Da Knicks
06-08-2010, 05:12 PM
lol yeah and then the cowboys will not be americas team, not good for the nba that is why the knicks will be back my friend. The nba needs a new show since the kobe hatred has died down.

Bruno
06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
sterling def,davis was good and actually had a mind at one point

You're probably right. At least the Raiders have made it deep into the playoffs on more than one occassion.

Cracka2HI!
06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
LeBron ain't coming to my Clipps no matter who the owner is. It's just not possible. The Clippers do have the best roster for LeBron IMO but I just can't imagine it happening.

Now to comment on the actual story which is an ownership change for my Clippers! Boy would I and every other Clipper fan LOVE that! However that won't happen either. This is a nice story and you would think it would get Clipper fans all fired up and into the LeBron debate but we know better. We're just hoping we don't give a max contract to a guy like McGrady or something.

abe_froman
06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
LeBron ain't coming to my Clipps no matter who the owner is. It's just not possible. The Clippers do have the best roster for LeBron IMO but I just can't imagine it happening.

Now to comment on the actual story which is an ownership change for my Clippers! Boy would I and every other Clipper fan LOVE that! However that won't happen either. This is a nice story and you would think it would get Clipper fans all fired up and into the LeBron debate but we know better. We're just hoping we don't give a max contract to a guy like McGrady or something.

you guys deserve a new owner,stern really should have stepped in and taken it away from don along time ago

Cracka2HI!
06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
you guys deserve a new owner,stern really should have stepped in and taken it away from don along time ago

It's hard to say. My biggest problem with him was he took 20+ years to fire Elgin Baylor. Sterling certainly has a reputation as never doing anything to improve the team but that was Baylor's job and Baylor was never able to sign anyone, trade for anyone or draft anyone half way decent. Who should have Sterling broke the bank to re-sign over the years? Manning? Mo Taylor? There haven't been ANY superstars here. Then Sterling finally does fire Baylor and everyone called him racist for it.

As horrible as Dunleavy was he was better then Baylor. He got some decent players here and Sterling paid them to stay. Sterling has been bucking up the money to field a decent team for about a decade. So while Sterling doesn't have any good will with me or any other Clipper fan a lot of us have come around and are now giving him the benefit of the doubt. I have very little doubt that Sterling will open his wallet yet again this offseason, I'm just not sure that is the right direction for the team right now. We should actually re-build around Griffin and Gordon, you would assume Sterling would love to do that but it doesn't look like it.

GspLAL
06-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Why would Lebron wanna come to a city where he won't even be the #1 star in?

oak2455
06-08-2010, 07:33 PM
LOL what are you serious, what pipe are you smoking?

what will be your second post:confused:

pistonsfanomg
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I've been on the Lebron-Clippers bandwagon since for how long?

LOL

I'm a Pistons and Clippers fan =]

fadedmario
06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Lebron in LA would be a cool thing. Kobe and Lebron playing in the same arena on different nights. I thought this was a joke until I read the reports on Geffen. If Geffen buys majority interest you can bet he will knwo whether or not Bron would consider it. I guess just wait and see if the majority interest in the team gets sold. If it does, this could happen.

SugeKnight
06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Lebron + Whiteside or Udoh on the Clips would be nasty

superkegger
06-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Because LA will always be Lakerland. It's like in Chicago, the Sox could win the next 3 world series, but it's still a Cubs town, and it always will be.

heathonater
06-09-2010, 05:18 AM
someone really should take the team away from sterling. he's been one of, if not they most incompetent owners in the nba. the clippers have been bad for most of their history. it's time that some other owner take the reins and hire good front office people and spends their money smart on free agents.

FOBolous
06-09-2010, 05:50 AM
the Clippers are a good coach and owner away from being one of the top teams in the league

Raoul Duke
06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
With Sterling out of the picture, James would consider them. The roster is too good not to. But I think if he wants rings then he'd opt to play on Chicago in the east rather than LA in the west (unless it's the other LA).

EDIT: Either way, this is great for the Clippers. I'd be willing to bet that Sterling is the source of their curse.

Cracka2HI!
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Sterling won't sell the team but on second thought he should be forced too. The way he did Dunleavy by not paying him after he fired him is really going to cost him the offseason. I'd be pretty upset if LeBron wanted to come here and play with Griffn and Gordon but refused to because of the owner. I am a rare Clipper fan who has some support for Sterling but only today found out about how he's trying not to pay Dunleavy what he owes him. You can't do that and expect any coach or FA to come here.

Bob_at_york
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I would just like to see him and kobe same city differnt teams see who wins popualrity then... anyway hes probably not willing to risk it so he will go with a safer choice

that is what I questioned earlier this season when I saw the clips unloading salary through trades. How big is Lebron's ego? Is it big enough that he would want to take a shot at un-seeding the Kobe and the Lakers as the #1 player and team in town? Does he honestly think he has a chance to do that?

Tony_Starks
06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Lebron or not I just hope Sterling finally hits the bricks. Clipper fans are some of the most loyal fans in the league and have continued to support despite this guy running the franchise to the ground for years.

Imagine if they had an owner like Cuban or that new dude in Jersey? They would be in great shape, they have all the pieces of the puzzle there.

People talk about the CLipper curse f that the curse is Sterling!!

PraiseJesus
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM

ummm, why does it matter?

After a thread gets over 5 pages no one wants to read all that.

Does it really bother u that much if there is an extra LeBron thread about him going to the Clippers and a new Owner?

I think the Clippers are on the verge of being good but it seems like I feel that way every year. Griffin gonna be good.

JOSKOMANG4
06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Personally, I would LOVEEEEE if Lebron came to the Clippers. With a healthy Griffen,they have a nice lil lineup. To think that the two best players in the NBA right(Lebron & Kobe) would be sharing the Staples Center; Devastating. They would definitely have to add more to the bench to make this more of an appealing team though.

Clippers Lineup:

C) Kaman
PF) Griffin
SF) LBJ
SG) Gordon
PG) B.Davis

JOSKOMANG4
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
As a net fan, I'd personally would like to see Lebron James in New Jersey. With Avery Johnson now aboard, hopefully that will intrigue players to come aboard.

C) Lopez
PF) Derrick Favors
SF) CDR4
SG) LBJ
PG D.harris

Bench:

T.Williams
J.Boone
C.Lee
Yi
Humphries
K.Dooling
L.Stephenson(draft pick)
J.Jordan(Draft pick)

xbrackattackx
06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
I love the clippers young talent, But I don't see Lebron there. And I think you guys need to move Baron to a contender and get a nice young PG to grow with that team.

ElMarroAfamado
06-10-2010, 02:08 PM
what exactly can the clippers afford to give lebron james anyone know?
i thought it was roughly 17 mil...
i dont think thats enough to lure him i mean isnt that less than what rashard lewis gets hahah

Bob_at_york
06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
what exactly can the clippers afford to give lebron james anyone know?
i thought it was roughly 17 mil...
i dont think thats enough to lure him i mean isnt that less than what rashard lewis gets hahah

are teams allowed to offer more? (Beyond the cavs of course).

masalex1205
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM

:facepalm: