PDA

View Full Version : Spurs "clearly ready to consider moves", possibly David Lee S&T

Kakaroach
06-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Although the Spurs are downplaying trade rumors involving Tony Parker, sources tell Newsday that they are "clearly ready to consider moves."

The Knicks are widely rumored to be major players for Parker's services, expected to offer David Lee in a sign-and-trade deal. That would still leave them with enough cap space to add a free agent like Carlos Boozer in addition to restricted free agent Rudy Gay. http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=A7269561D2A00B11E122.2706?site=n ewsday&view=page3&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.1987824&nopaging=1

Kakaroach
06-08-2010, 10:04 AM
My bad this should be in the NBA Forum.

greg_ory_2005
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Clearly* :pity:

IAmKira
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Parker, Boozer, Gay? Who takes Rooster's spot in the line up!?. Wow that sure is a champion caliber team

td0tsfinest
06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
So the spurs are looking to add Lee, Gay and Boozer?

tdunk21
06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
except david lee...who else can the knicks offer to get the spurs talkin about a david lee s&t for parker??IMO parker will stay in SA...

Hawkeye15
06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Why would they chase Gay with Jefferson on the roster? I know he only has 1 year left, but why not wait until next summer for a SF replacement if they are spending all that money? Go get Lee
besides, Parker may go for a pick and player, but I think he stays

SpectrumDweller
06-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Why would they chase Gay with Jefferson on the roster? I know he only has 1 year left, but why not wait until next summer for a SF replacement if they are spending all that money? Go get Lee

The article is saying that the Knicks will still be able to sign Carlos Boozer and Rudy Gay, not the Spurs.

king4day
06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
That would only get NY to the playoffs. Not sure how far they could go though. Maybe round two.
Lee to the Spurs would be great. It would make his 3pt shooting practice mean that much more.

xbrackattackx
06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow, I think Lee would make the Spurs better and with Duncan teaching him some fundamentals, good stuff . And the knick's may do this deal last so they can get Parker after the free agents so they can go over cap.

SluggeR
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
duncan needs the frontcourt help and parker is the asset to make that happen. Not sure whether the Knicks would do this after they wiff on other targets or have parker in place to attract other free agents.

kntresistheheat
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
That would be a good move for the spurs,NY and lee, but bad move for parker!

awmathewsjr
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I can see the spurs getting D.Lee or Boozer but not both. And as far as R.Gay, he's not really a Greg Popavich type player

But dont sleep on T.Parker being traded to Miami for M.Beasley and Q.Richardson

JOSKOMANG4
06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493110

kjdills13
06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I dont think people understand what the article is saying.

it is saying

Knicks will get tony parker in a S&T with David Lee

Then the Knicks could still Sign boozer and gay.

or the knicks could sign any 2 of the big 6 free agents and then claim bird rights on lee and then S&T him to the spurs leaving a lineup of

Parker
Joe Johnson
the Knicks current SF
Chris Bosh
Whoever they get to play C

Parker Johnson and bosh is a Solid big 3

HOZ THE KNICK
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
knicks is going to try to get parker but still be left with enough to sign 2 star players.

C_Mund
06-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Lee seems to be the type of guy that could learn to play a solid team defense under Pop. His rebounding and good shot selection are already an asset to anybody that signs him.
The knicks with Gay, Parker, and Boozer would be a scary offensive set, but that's the making of a raptor-bad defence.

kntresistheheat
06-08-2010, 12:40 PM

it is saying

or the knicks could sign any 2 of the big 6 free agents and then claim bird rights on lee and then S&T him to the spurs leaving a lineup of

Parker (12mill)
Joe Johnson (Max)
the Knicks current SF
Chris Bosh(Max)

Curry (11mil)

sventhedog
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I can see the spurs getting D.Lee or Boozer but not both. And as far as R.Gay, he's not really a Greg Popavich type player

But dont sleep on T.Parker being traded to Miami for M.Beasley and Q.Richardson

and why would the spurs want beasley???

C_Mund
06-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Apparantly they're sick of winning all the time.

cmellofan15
06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Lee and Duncan?

more like Lee and Blair.

JordansBulls
06-08-2010, 01:33 PM
So the spurs are looking to add Lee, Gay and Boozer?

Well the Spurs clearly need to do something.

SpursEvolution
06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Don't think d.lee is the answer, we need versatile player at 4 next to Duncan. IMO Amare Staudemire. Don't trade Parker but get rid of RJ! Trade him for a dam 2020 2nd round pick an sign I big name FA. Spurs with the right moves can make a run at the title again. Let's go Spurs.

Raidaz4Life
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Seems like a solid move for both sides

ElMarroAfamado
they are done no matter what they do

JasonJohnHorn
Of all the aging players in SA, Parker has the youngest legs on the team. Why would they move him?

the Spurs are not that far from contending again. The best idea for them is to wait for free agency, see what they can pick up for the MLE, see if they can get a three point threat for the vet-min and keep their fingers crossed that Splittner will finally leave Europe to play in the NBA. If Splittner does leave, that would the the Spurs a great rotation in the front court and they could focus on picking up a couple of wing players who can hit the three-ball. There is no doubt they missed having guys like Finley, Bowen, and Barry spreading the floor, but they could pick up guys like that on the free agent market or even the draft, and they still have the rights to one of the most promising young centers in Splittner.

Patience is a virtue, and one the Spurs know well. Hold off on the trades until free agency makes thigns clearer and they can see who they can get. Even a guy like Brad Miller or Jermaine O'Neal could make a huge difference for them.

Chronz
06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Im smelling an RJ-Lee swap

THE MTL
06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
How do we get Parker and still have enough for two FA that what befuddles me

colinskik
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Don't think d.lee is the answer, we need versatile player at 4 next to Duncan. IMO Amare Staudemire. Don't trade Parker but get rid of RJ! Trade him for a dam 2020 2nd round pick an sign I big name FA. Spurs with the right moves can make a run at the title again. Let's go Spurs.
Lee is a versatile player at the 4 ... probably more so that Amare.

Lee gained a reputation early on of being that scrappy type of player, put backs, always around the ball, doesn't need the ball to score. Then he improved his jump shot to the point where it's almost automatic (if he's open, which he usually was in NY as the 5 ). Then he started working on his handle and was easily able to take a bigger man to the hole. NOw he's rumored to be working on his three point shot. In terms of his offense, Lee is pretty damn versatile. However, it's his D he really needs to work on.

As this pertains to the Knicks, Parker may be one of the better PGs to have for D'Antoni's system, so I like the idea of swapping Lee for him. I just hope they can make this move after having signed some other guys so they can use Lee's Bird Rights to go over the cap. Not to put down the potential trio of Parker, Gay and Boozer, but that lineup doesn't include any of the players NY has allegedly been targeting for 2+ years. I would still like that team, but I dont think Boozer is worth a Max ... i can't even remember if that's what he's asking for, but IMO he's not worth it.

colinskik
06-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Im smelling an RJ-Lee swap
That would be god awful.

abe_froman
06-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Of all the aging players in SA, Parker has the youngest legs on the team. Why would they move him?

because they have hill,who they like alot..and is younger and cheaper

not a bad deal for either side

Da Knicks
06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I dont think anything will happen with parker till after the knicks already wasted the money they have and then they will trade an expiring eddy curry along with probably Chandler for parker. I would hate trading the young explosive chandler but if we dont get lebron, parker would have to be the next target. We need someone to handle the ball and parker can handle and shoot which would make him lethal in ssol.

knickfan4life
06-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I dont think anything will happen with parker till after the knicks already wasted the money they have and then they will trade an expiring eddy curry along with probably Chandler for parker. I would hate trading the young explosive chandler but if we dont get lebron, parker would have to be the next target. We need someone to handle the ball and parker can handle and shoot which would make him lethal in ssol.

is it possible to make this trade first and try to use it to get lebron n bosh here?

awmathewsjr
06-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Because he's young full of potential and full of talent. And there's no coach in the league that can make a player reach his potential like Greg Popavich. Not to mention Miami can add draft picks to the deal, New York gave all of theirs away already

awmathewsjr
06-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Even if they did trade RJ for nothing its no way they could afford to sign a big name FA straight up. They have too much money tied up in Duncan and Parker and didn't they just give Ginobli a 3yr-38mil extension.:facepalm:

awmathewsjr
06-08-2010, 02:58 PM
is it possible to make this trade first and try to use it to get lebron n bosh here?

I think the Knicks are in a lose/lose

mikantsass
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Good trade for the Knicks if it happens. They will sign a PF/C this offseason so they wont need Lee anymore. And if they can flip Lee into and all star PG that is perfect world. Now you have a distributor and scorer to attract some FA, and also mentor toney douglas.

SluggeR
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM

it is saying

Parker
Joe Johnson
the Knicks current SF
Chris Bosh

I would love that squad, I would even be good with swapping Johnon for Gay.

FA or Draftee or Trade
Bosh
Galli
Gay or Johnson
T.Parker

I'm sure a package of D-Lee+TD or Chandler for T.Parker would get the deal done. If I was the Knicks I would try to include Mahinmi as well.

SluggeR
06-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Because he's young full of potential and full of talent. And there's no coach in the league that can make a player reach his potential like Greg Popavich. Not to mention Miami can add draft picks to the deal, New York gave all of theirs away already

Would you wanna be the GM that traded Parker for a pot smoking, "soft" playing tweener, with potential? Beasley is too big of a risk and how are they gonna make those salaries match?

97NYer
06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
No, if we S&T Lee for Parker we would have enough money for a max and maybe 3-4 million left over.

Dieselpi
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
cap space and flexibility is never a lose lose, and i dont see the knicks wasting currys expiring on parker.

If anything i think they will hold on to that contract and make a run at a sign and trade for melo if they miss out on lebron and the rest.

fadedmario
06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Spurs srewed up with Parker by benching him for games at the end of the year. It definately dropped his trade value

tdunk21
06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Spurs srewed up with Parker by benching him for games at the end of the year. It definately dropped his trade value

parker was not benched wantedly....he just came back from an injury and his minutes were monitored not to get hurt again......

HOZ THE KNICK
06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
parker wants the knicks more than the knicks want him....

heathonater
06-08-2010, 11:58 PM
i dont think this is the move san antonio needs to make. lee's stats are inflated in part because he plays in an uptempo offense, and alot of games this season he compiled those stats when the knicks were losing badly and the other team was playing their bench. he's a decent player, but by no means is he a major upgrade for the spurs.

OT Thriller
06-09-2010, 12:00 AM
i dont think this is the move san antonio needs to make. lee's stats are inflated in part because he plays in an uptempo offense, and alot of games this season he compiled those stats when the knicks were losing badly and the other team was playing their bench. he's a decent player, but by no means is he a major upgrade for the spurs.

I see Lee as a player who is on the rise while Parker has already peaked. Yes the system benefited Lee but you cant deny his number. The man is talented and he would fill at the 4/5 position. Parker would be great for NYC too. This trade would benefit both teams IMO.

NY-SportsFan
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM

it is saying

Parker
Joe Johnson
the Knicks current SF
Chris Bosh

It doesnt work that way. For the Knicks to have the cap space to sign two max free agents, they would have to give up their bird rights on Lee. Otherwise there is a cap hold that takes up space.

There is no signing Lebron and Bosh and then trading for Parker in a S&T with Lee. Maybe with Curry since he is already on the books, but its impossible with Lee.

It seems like barely anyone on this site who come up with suggestions about free agent signings really understands how the salary cap works.

NY-SportsFan
06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Also, the way the Knicks could get parker Gay and Boozer is because Gay's max salary is somewhere around 12 million based on how long he has been in the league for. If Boozer would take a pay cut, it is possible.

However it is unlikely Memphis wouldnt match any offer on Gay.

kblo247
06-09-2010, 02:15 AM
I'd like to see this happen for the Spurs

- Tony Parker for David Lee in a sign and trade
- Richard Jefferson and Dejuan Blair for Rudy Gay in a sign and trade

kArSoN RyDaH
06-09-2010, 04:13 AM
i wonder if LA would b able to afford parker? hmmmm

nbafan63
06-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Tim duncan is done. He looked so bad this playoff run. Spurs is building around Richard Jefferson now, lol.

djeller1139
06-09-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't see why the Spurs would move Parker and add David Lee. They must really think they can use Hill as a starting PG?

JasonJohnHorn
06-09-2010, 05:31 AM
because they have hill,who they like alot..and is younger and cheaper

Hill showed promise on the post season, but his perforamances were sporadic and inconsistent and falttered against Nash. He has promise, yes, and could be a great point guard and certainly a solid point guard, but he isnt that great now. In this moment Parker is a better point guard. He is hard for any point guard to defend, he has experience leading championship teams and he knows the Spurs system and has worked well enough in it to win two titles from them.

What Hill gives them is a solid PG rotation, he does not make Parker expendable in my opinion.

I still say the best thing to do is wait to see how free agency plays out and make a run at a center for the MLE, and use the vet-min and draft to pick up some three-point shooters. Especially if Splittner finally comes over this season. It could change the whole make-up of this Spurs roster.

tdunk21
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Tim duncan is done. He looked so bad this playoff run. Spurs is building around Richard Jefferson now, lol.

if that is sarsasm then its cool....if u really mean it :facepalm:

have some sense in what u say....why would the spurs build around richard jefferson....thank god spurs FO is not as dumb as u r....:facepalm:

tdunk21
06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't see why the Spurs would move Parker and add David Lee. They must really think they can use Hill as a starting PG?

hill cant be spurs PG...as a matter of fact hill cant be any teams PG....manu is a better PG then hill....coz manu was a PG and now he plays the SG....IMO spurs will stay put with parker.....

tdunk21
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM

IMHO even if LA can afford parker, i dont think spurs will trade parker to one of their biggest rivals...if parker is to be moved, he will be traded to an eastern conference team...

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Uhhhh NO

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Would you wanna be the GM that traded Parker for a pot smoking, "soft" playing tweener, with potential? Beasley is too big of a risk and how are they gonna make those salaries match?

Good job on the pot smoking, soft playing tweener joke. But the thing is a GM won't find anyone to match Parker's talent because he's no spring chicken. But they can find someone who can be groomed by Tim Duncan to be very good. And as far the salary, right now Miami is under the salary cap so the salaries don't have to match. Let's not forget they had around 60 mil freed up just off of D.Wade, J.O'Neal and Q.Richardson.

JIDsanity
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Out of curiosity what is your opinion on Rudy Gay?

smith&wesson
06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
That would only get NY to the playoffs. Not sure how far they could go though. Maybe round two.
Lee to the Spurs would be great. It would make his 3pt shooting practice mean that much more.

with toni parker, rudy gay, and carlos boozer ?? thats pretty decent they could make some noise with those guys as the core + gallo too

pebloemer
06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd like to see this happen for the Spurs

- Tony Parker for David Lee in a sign and trade
- Richard Jefferson and Dejuan Blair for Rudy Gay in a sign and trade

Both fairly reasonable deals IMO.

sep11ie
06-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Oh they is is they

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 01:29 PM
with toni parker, rudy gay, and carlos boozer ?? thats pretty decent they could make some noise with those guys as the core + gallo too

Not really because they would have the worst defense in the league