PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Magloire's class move

Wake's Fastball
06-08-2010, 01:54 AM
Ever since he was chosen as a reserve for the 2004 All-Star Game, Jamaal Magloire(notes) has been a bit of a running joke in NBA circles. Even though the Detroit Pistons won that year's title, Magloire was the embodiment of a weak Eastern Conference "Heck, if that Canadian Jamaal Magloire can make an All-Star team, the East must be pretty weak" is how the story went. But just because he's possibly the most underwhelming All-Star of the past two decades, there is no reason to say that Jamaal Magloire isn't still good.

No, not at basketball. He's still pretty underwhelming at that. But at life he seems like he's got it figured out. From the Toronto Star's Doug Smith:

When he heard of the murder last Monday of single mother Lucita Charles - who left behind a 7-year-old son with cerebral palsy - not only did Jamaal Magloire think he could help out, he did help out.

The 10-year NBA veteran paid for the funeral for Charles (the city's 18th murder victim of this year) and plans to establish a trust fund for her orphaned son.

"That's the most important thing: what's going to happen to (Charles' son)," he said. "We're going to try to set up this fund for him so that maybe in the future, when he needs special treatment or a special doctor, he can get it."

Awesome. And the best part is that Magloire wanted absolutely no credit for what he did. As Smith says, "He didn't do it for the publicity he was upset that news of his actions first leaked out but because he cares a bit."

Full article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Way-to-go-Jamaal-Magloire;_ylt=AjqnezHlRySvveWSLzZgn8E5nYcB?urn=nba ,246211

I've made my fair share of jokes about Magloire, but this is just a super impressive move on his part. Kudos, Jamaal.

HoopsDrive
06-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Very classy move indeed.

fadedmario
06-08-2010, 02:15 AM
classy move

SugeKnight
06-08-2010, 02:21 AM
:clap:

robdizzle3
06-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Big props to Jamaal on this one. the fact that he was upset this released just says alot of his character.

D-Mac313
06-08-2010, 02:43 AM
:clap:

dodie53
06-08-2010, 03:15 AM
i love jamal's reverse sweeping dunk

Kobes a Killer
06-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Props to Jamaal not a lot of people would do that

deaner
06-08-2010, 06:49 AM
my respect. classy move... wish more nba players would do good with what they are given

sventhedog
06-08-2010, 07:57 AM
nba cares.

RNess78c
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Much respect to JM.....he will be a good coach one day...he was a aight player when he was on the blazers too

king4day
06-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Classy of him to do.
Whomever killed the mother should die a slow painful death. That poor kid has all those emotions running through him. Gotta pray for him.

Lions #81
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
nice

Kakaroach
06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
See, thats just awesome. I know we say this too much but I wish all athletes were like this.

Rivera
06-08-2010, 10:00 AM
best move by jammal his whole career

Wilson
06-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Amazing move by Jamal.

td0tsfinest
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Initially I thought the title was trying to be funny but I'm glad it wasn't. Great move by Jamal, an extremely kind thing to do.

xbrackattackx
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Classy of him to do.
Whomever killed the mother should die a slow painful death. That poor kid has all those emotions running through him. Gotta pray for him.

x2

This touched my heart I love hearing stuff like this.

adidas2307
06-08-2010, 11:50 AM
nba cares.

Not the NBA. A select few players from the NBA with their hearts not filled with money, care.

td0tsfinest
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
The Heat Organization in general is doing some great stuff. Erik Spolestra, Alonso Mourning and Tim Hardaway are all in Haiti right now along with Rudy Gay, helping with the rebuilding.

C_Mund
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
It's kinda funny that he got ragged on for being a budget all-star, but he put up like 16-10 in that game. I remember having the all-star SLAM that came out right after, and there was a pic of JM with the caption "He proved that be belonged on this night" or something to that effect.

DerekRE_3
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Good stuff from Jamaal. Kevin Martin actually just did something similar as well:

When Kevin Martin heard about the tragic death of Kasey King-Thomas this week, he knew he had to do something.

"It just touched my heart to think that this little boy died," said Martin, who plays for the Houston Rockets. "No one deserves anything like this to happen to them, and the family seems so generous and kind themselves that I just had to do something."

Kasey, 6, died after the Tri-Valley Local School Bus 26 he was riding on crashed into a light pole and rolled over Wednesday morning.

The Zanesville High School graduate is helping Kasey's family by donating money for funeral costs.

Joe Thomas, Kasey's stepfather, said he and his family are extremely grateful to Martin and the entire community for their support.

"It's just awesome that Kevin Martin is doing this for us," Thomas said. "I can't get over how extremely generous he is."

Martin also supports a law requiring seat belts on school buses.

"I'm 100 percent behind this effort," Martin said. "I just hope the legal system and government move quickly on it and not sit back and wait for another tragedy like Kasey."

Thomas said his wife, Randi, would like the law to be called Kasey's Law, in memory of their son.

"It's very important to us that this happens," Thomas said. "Kasey was such a special child. We don't want another family to go through the suffering we are."

Kasey was a child who made his presence known wherever he was, Thomas said.

"The last thing he'd do as he left in the morning for the bus stop was slam the door," Thomas laughed. "You always knew it was Kasey going out the door by the slam."

Kasey also loved to play with his younger sister, Karlee, and younger brother, Kolton, Thomas said.

"When we'd have bonfires, you had to smile when Kasey came because he always drug his pillow and blanket down to the fire," Thomas said. "And he loved to play anything that was attached to Star Wars. He'd even memorize the commercials and tell us about them."

Kasey was on the Tri-Valley Youth Soccer Team and couldn't get enough of airplanes or going with Thomas to Springfield, where Thomas is with the Ohio National Air Guard.

"He just loved to watch me work on the airplanes," Thomas remembered. "Anything about planes fascinated Kasey."

When Kasey walked into a room, Thomas said the first thing you noticed were his big, blue eyes and dark hair.

"He was a sweetheart," Thomas said, his voice cracking. "Everyone needs to write their congressman or the governor and get Kasey's Law passed quickly. It's not just for the children in our community, but children all over."

Martin said the City of Zanesville dedicated June 2 as Kevin Martin Day several years ago.

"From now on, in my heart, that day will be Kasey King-Thomas Day," Martin said. "I think it's appropriate that I hand that day over to Kasey."

Source: Zanesville Times Recorder (http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/article/20100605/NEWS01/6050304/Houston-Rockets-Kevin-Martin-paying-for-boy-s-funeral)