PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Silva???

CubbySwag313
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Im sure many of you, if not all of you know that Carlos Silva is currently 8-0....Interesting thought came to mind, if the Cubs continue to struggle and Silva continues to succeed do you think there will be any takers to try and trade for Silva inclduing ALL money thats left on his contract? If so, what do you think we can get in return for a guy like him? And what team do you think wouldnt mind paying his 12 mil or so for next season.....Love to hear ur thoughts...

behindmydesk
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Doubtful, very few players get traded for and not have money going with them. Even the BJ's sent money to the phils for Holliday.

AllStar44
06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Idk why anybody would wanna take our "worst" starter. There's no way anybody on here should still be calling him that, or keep saying his "luck" will run out.

Diehdcubsfan2
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
It really can't go both ways.

Either we eat half his contract and get a decent spec

or maybe a team desperate enough will take him and most of his contract, but get a lesser spec.

dleezy11
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I get where you are going with this I mean it doesn't seem like he could keep this up for forever but unless they took all of his contract or we got some really nice prospects in return I say keep one the only bright spots for the Cubs so far this year.

CubbySwag313
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Idk why anybody would wanna take our "worst" starter. There's no way anybody on here should still be calling him that, or keep saying his "luck" will run out.

I agree 100%...if anything he is OUR BEST PITCHER right now! IM sure there will be many teams inquiring about him....he would draw some good specs and im sure the Cubs will have to eat half of the money owed to him....Silva has been a beast this year...Proving his doubters wrong....It should be interesting to see what happens.

daddies3angels
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
only problem there is alot of SP out on market right now..Lee,Oswalt,Lilly...just a few...

cowboydoc45
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
only problem there is alot of SP out on market right now..Lee,Oswalt,Lilly...just a few...

Lilly hasn't officially gone on market yet...

ReJo
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
No I wouldn't trade him. I want him in the rotation this year and next.

THE_G.O.A.T.
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
We should trade Carlos "The Garbage Man" Silva right now while his value is highest. We can get rid of his money and we'll never get any better prospects than we would right now.

behindmydesk
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
We should trade Carlos "The Garbage Man" Silva right now while his value is highest. We can get rid of his money and we'll never get any better prospects than we would right now.

we still would be shipping money out with him.

CubbySwag313
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM

True......but, not many of them are playing as well as Silva right now.

toovey107
06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Sell high.

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Doubtful, very few players get traded for and not have money going with them. Even the BJ's sent money to the phils for Holliday.

:pity: Slipping in your old age

Dmac
06-07-2010, 06:54 PM
we still would be shipping money out with him.

I'm guessing it would be at least half of his contract next year. Which all things considered, isn't bad. Who would have thought we would have gotten money back in the Bradley deal, and possibly get out of half of Silva's last year of his deal? I would be very surprised if he is on this team next year. They can cash in on his season and save a little money, and he and Lilly can be replaced by Gorzo/Cashner/Jackson.

Darwinist
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I agree 100%...if anything he is OUR BEST PITCHER right now! IM sure there will be many teams inquiring about him....he would draw some good specs and im sure the Cubs will have to eat half of the money owed to him....Silva has been a beast this year...Proving his doubters wrong....It should be interesting to see what happens.

I put the most important thing you said in bold.

Do you really think his past 11 starts are more indicative of his talent than his previous 105 appearances? He has proven nothing. We should trade him to anyone that will give us value back. Immediately.

Yagyu+
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
From fangraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/silvas-new-style/):

Carlos Silva continued his improbable run today with yet another solid performance, this time a seven inning, one run outing against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Silva struck out five and only walked one batter while inducing 10 ground balls in 20 balls in play, continuing from the template that made him a successful pitcher in 2004, 2005, and 2007: no walks and a healthy dose of ground balls.

Today’s start also was yet another example in just how different Carlos Silva is pitching now compared to the rest of his career. Of course, the results have been much, much better this year than in the rrecent past, but instead I’m referring to how he is using his pitches.

Silva threw 102 pitches in today’s start, 55 of which were classified by Brooks Baseball’s Pitch F/X Tool as either fastballs or sinkers. Both pitches have very similar spin, movement, and velocity, so I think it would be fair to denote all 55 as “fastballs.” With that clarified, 53.9% of Silva’s pitches today were fastballs, well in line with his 57% fastball rate this season. That’s a stark change from the rest of his career. Silva never had a fastball rate lower than 68% entering this season, and in four separate seasons he used his fastball over 80% of the time, including his disastrous 2009 season.

It’s not terribly surprising, then, that his strikeouts have risen to above 6 K/9. Even with below average secondary stuff, the addition of more changeups and sliders is certain to increase the amount of whiffs. This change is likely the agent behind a nearly 3 point jump in swinging strike rate from his career mark. In particular, it’s his changeup which has been fantastic this season. It has been a strike over 70% of the time, and even though it’s nothing special in terms of whiff rate (12.4% vs. 12.63% average), it still manages to get outs, as the pitch had a +8.8 pitch type linear weights value entering play today. Brooks Baseball had it as excellent once again today, with a +2.2 mark.

It certainly appears that a big part of Silva’s rebirth can be attributed to this change in pitching style. Given Silva’s poor fastball, never breaking an average velocity of 92 since his rookie season, it’s surprising that it took this long to move away from it. Regardless, this shift has once again made Silva a major league pitcher. I would expect Silva’s numbers to fall a little as hitters begin to adjust to this new style, but as long as Silva continues to avoid walks and strike out more batters than ever, he will continue to enjoy success at the major league level.

Bowski
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I remember the year Cliff Lee blew up. A lot of the same stuff was being said about him and not being able to keep up his good numbers. Hell, Dempster kept it up an entire season and still is throwing pretty well for us.

JB0B0
06-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't see how a 1.06 WHIP is "luck" but I guess trading him wouldn't be a bad idea if we got at some very good prospects. If no one is willing to give us anything of value then I don't mind keeping him here.

Grifter
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Do you really think his past 11 starts are more indicative of his talent than his previous 105 appearances? He has proven nothing. We should trade him to anyone that will give us value back. Immediately.

“Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.” ~Oscar Wilde

JayCub
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
We'd be screwed without him, he has a little under a third of our wins.

dabears34ft
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Kevin Tapani had a similar start to a year I believe 2001 for the cubs. Something like 8-1 but finished 9-14. Just saying. Everyone needs to slow down and see what this guy does 3 to 4 starts into the 2nd half. Than the Love and Hate can begin. I'm just going along for the ride for now.

cowboydoc45
06-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Kevin Tapani had a similar start to a year I believe 2001 for the cubs. Something like 8-1 but finished 9-14. Just saying. Everyone needs to slow down and see what this guy does 3 to 4 starts into the 2nd half. Than the Love and Hate can begin. I'm just going along for the ride for now.

When he was with the Twins, he had pretty respectable numbers, however, when he went to Seatle, he didn't do so well (one season could easily be attributed to injury). He has the skill, and honestly, I think Rothschild saw something in his delivery that he knew all along he could fix. After the one blow up in ST, he changed his delivery, and has been pretty lights out since. He isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but for some strange reason, I actually feel more comfortable when he comes to the mound than say Zambrano or Wells

dabears34ft
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
When he was with the Twins, he had pretty respectable numbers, however, when he went to Seatle, he didn't do so well (one season could easily be attributed to injury). He has the skill, and honestly, I think Rothschild saw something in his delivery that he knew all along he could fix. After the one blow up in ST, he changed his delivery, and has been pretty lights out since. He isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but for some strange reason, I actually feel more comfortable when he comes to the mound than say Zambrano or Wells

I do agree with you. He looks really comfortable out there, especially that dancing changeup, but there are alot of players that have unreal first halfs and they turn out being just that, UNreal. Randy Wolf has done this a few times in his career. Jason Marquis used to be a staple of A Tale of Two Seasons. Some guys are just in a groove, and when they get to that all star break, there groove is altered. That's why I say wait for 3 or 4 games into the 2nd half to judge him with full confidence.

semperfi
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd take either Lilly or Silva right now on the mound if I needed us to win a game tomorrow to get into the playoffs..

BDawk4Prez
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
iCarlos is so fat. Seeing highlights of him running yesterday was great.

Sasuke11
06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm not saying he is a reborn pitcher just yet, but when he had a string of more questionable outings he rebounded quite nicely and 2 hit the cards! His era has never once gone over 4 and now its under 3. I think if he continues to pitch with his confidence like he is he will be fine the rest of the year.

CUB5
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
How about we trade Z and keep Silva? lol

JayBandit
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd take either Lilly or Silva right now on the mound if I needed us to win a game tomorrow to get into the playoffs..

In reality, Dempster, Lilly, and Silva have been everything we could expect from 3 of our starters. Even the other two spots haven't been that disappointing. The entire problem of this season stems completely from our lack of run production. If we were scoring more runs, a lot of these bullpen mistakes would be swept under the rug. I think it's easier to complain about pitching because they get moved around so much as it is, but we'll go nowhere without some more offense.

semperfi
06-09-2010, 12:58 PM
In reality, Dempster, Lilly, and Silva have been everything we could expect from 3 of our starters. Even the other two spots haven't been that disappointing. The entire problem of this season stems completely from our lack of run production. If we were scoring more runs, a lot of these bullpen mistakes would be swept under the rug. I think it's easier to complain about pitching because they get moved around so much as it is, but we'll go nowhere without some more offense.

I disagree, I don't believe Dempster has been as good as he should be. He's been a solid inning eater, but he's been far from dominating his opponents. He's allowed less than 3 runs once since April 23rd(8 starts).