PDA

View Full Version : Panathinaikos named Greek basketball champions following game interruption by fans

king4day
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
ATHENS, Greece -- Panathinaikos was named Greek basketball champion after referees called off the fourth game of the league finals against Olympiakos with just more than 1 minute left when it was interrupted by fans for a second time at Olympiakos' home arena Sunday.

Panathinaikos won its eighth consecutive Greek title and 12th in the last 13 seasons.

Panathinaikos, already ahead 2-1 in the best-of-five finals series, was leading 76-69 and about to shoot two free throws when Olympiakos fans seated behind the two baskets threw a barrage of plastic bottles and arena seats, which they had ripped off.

A flare was thrown at Panathinaikos players and coaching staff as they were leaving the arena, narrowly missing them.

The referees' decision must to be confirmed by league authorities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5258248

I get the feeling Childress played his last game for that team. Who wants to deal with that?

gilly
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
European fans of any sport are crazy. Greeks love the flares. Childress is coming back to the NBA, I hope Rubio follows too.

Kakaroach
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Thats just people that are insane. Seriously their security system must be worse than at Wal-Mart.

bigsams50
06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Dude i watched that game live. It was ridiculous. Giving a bad name to Greeks everywhere :pity:

BTW GO PAO!!!! lol

T-Wolf
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I watched it too. Fans are crazy there, but same that fans can make great atmosphere for their team in every sport. And not only Greek fans, but many European fans are also able to do such things. But at the end, it's a shame that game between such great teams must have been called off. In my opinion, Olympiacos have better players, but they don't have one thing that Panathinaikos has - greatest coach on the planet (yes, I dare to say it) - Zeljko Obradovic!!!

bigsams50
06-07-2010, 11:50 PM
^ Yea Olympiakos had the better team this year. Kleiza has played great

arkanian215
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Congrats to Calathes