PDA

View Full Version : Im starting to wonder why im watching the NBA?

Lakeshow86
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Theres no way the referee's can be this bad without some behind the scenes motivation. Im not saything this because the lakers lost. The refs called some bad ones on the Celtics too. but its amazing how many bad call there are in NBA games. Its not that hard to ref a game as opposed to being a umpire in MLB. The umpires are right 95% of the time. In the NBA its more like 60%. Last night had a out of bounds call that was reviewed and all the commentators on TV agreed that the Lakers should get the ball. eveyone on TV had to agree as well. You seen Gasol's big white hand on Garnetts big black hand and the big black hand was on top of the ball. Garnett was the last guy to touch the ball and it was clear as day. It came at a time when the Lakers were still in it to win. Theres no way their going to allow the lakers to run away with the series. theres too much money involved. were talking about Lakers vs Celtics. Everyone wants it to go 7 games so they are going to make sure that happen. Im starting to think the NBA is fixed. its nothing more than a rehearsed show like wrestling. wresting is fake and the NBA just might be as well?

GSW Hoops
06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree. There were always bad calls, but they are blatantly obvious now. The instant replay where Garnett obviously touched the ball last...and it's called off Gasol. Huh?

I've been a fan of the NBA for a decade, ever since I was 14 years old, and I'm seriously beginning to think that NBA games are manipulated by the referees. I've even begun to think about not watching the NBA next season because I'm so fed up with it.

I can't stand frequent stops in NBA games, but there needs to be some form of challenging calls like the NFL has. Not only would this allow teams to have bad calls overturned, but it would put the referees on the spot with millions of eyes watching the replays over and over. If they still make a bad call, it will be obvious to everyone that they have an agenda.

tredigs
06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Theres no way the referee's can be this bad without some behind the scenes motivation. Im not saything this because the lakers lost. The refs called some bad ones on the Celtics too. but its amazing how many bad call there are in NBA games. Its not that hard to ref a game as opposed to being a umpire in MLB. The umpires are right 95% of the time. In the NBA its more like 60%. Last night had a out of bounds call that was reviewed and all the commentators on TV agreed that the Lakers should get the ball. eveyone on TV had to agree as well. You seen Gasol's big white hand on Garnetts big black hand and the big black hand was on top of the ball. Garnett was the last guy to touch the ball and it was clear as day. It came at a time when the Lakers were still in it to win. Theres no way their going to allow the lakers to run away with the series. theres too much money involved. were talking about Lakers vs Celtics. Everyone wants it to go 7 games so they are going to make sure that happen. Im starting to think the NBA is fixed. its nothing more than a rehearsed show like wrestling. wresting is fake and the NBA just might be as well?

First sentence = Yes, yes it is. This thread would not exist if the Lakers won. It's the only thing I've heard from your entire fanbase on PSD after game two. Completely blind to the fact that the Celtics out-hustled and out-played the Lakers last night in an awesomely competitive game. Too many whistles, and some blown calls both ways (most of them favoring the Lakers), but a GREAT game.

Second sentence = Really? Basketball not as tough to ref as BASEBALL? That is a joke my friend. Basketball is probably the toughest sport to ref, period.

This site's funny. When I would normally have gripes with the officiating as well and vent them out, I can't help but defend them when I see this amount of ridiculous posts. It's as if the entire fanbase is protecting themselves from a Celtics victory by starting this mass hysteria over a couple questionable calls (which absolutely went both ways, and the Lakers on the receiving end of the majority).

As whistle happy as they were, the game was not decided by the refs. It was decided by Ray Allen going nova in the first half, and Rondo absolutely lacing the Lakers guards on both ends of the court in the 4th quarter. If it's going to make you pull your hair out to watch this lame "WWE performance", then don't watch.

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
MLB is far worse with officiating.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM

yeah i dont think calls are going in eithers favor but the refs are doing a TERRIBLE job this series. this is the finals, find some good refs.

mikantsass
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I know Phil Jackson is your coach, but goddam Laker fans are whiny. The Lakers lost. Get over it. They were vastly outplayed for the whole game except the beginning of the 3rd quarter. And if you thought the Lakers werent getting any calls you are dumb. They had 15 more free throw attempts. The Lakers made more freethrows than field goals. Go cry somewhere else.

flea
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Of course the NBA is rigged. Why do you think dumb series get drawn out and we have another Lakers-Celtics finals? The same reason why the Lakers are going to win this series in Los Angeles: it makes the league money and David Stern wants it to happen. He's ready to solidify Kobe's place in history and capitalize off of it for another few years.

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Its reality tv people, the nba really believed la vs boston was the main attraction and people wanted to watch Lebron. That guy knows how to put a show im not even watching the finals like many other people way to predictable. I think I want to watch phil and lebron go to the knicks and kobe go to the spurs imagine the finals then? The press conference would be amazing!

gwrighter
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Officiating is part of the game. It goes both ways. there are home refs. its how it is. there is nothing you can do about it so might as well enjoy the game.

Sadds The Gr8
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
another referee complaint thread...

in before close.

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I made a mistake send phil to ny with lebron and send popovich and manu to la we need la in for the ratings. New York vs La now that would make some ratings everyone would watch kobe vs lebron and ignore the fact both are overatted and that they would actually have good teams. Phil and Pop would be amazing with the whole phycological games. thats buzz!

GuySir
06-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Why not get rid of fouls altogether and have a real life "arch rivals" league?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGcw4ivEKnA

phi2134
06-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I hate both teams equally, but I don't remember these types of fouls and calls being around 10-15 years ago. It seems like the are becoming a bigger part of the game and they are determining the outcomes far too often. I would not hold it against Stern to have some type of huge spreadsheet behind the scenes that shows how much money he makes if certain teams win and how many games should be played for maximum profit.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't give a crap anymore!

refs suck anyway, stop the complaining...officials are not reading PSD

mia305king
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Who cares ? Crying on an internet forum isn't gonna change the officiating, there's like 5 threads on the refs today.

PHX2daDEATH
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
To the original poster.. you watch the NBA because your favorite franchise has how many titles? You have 10 or 12 more titles than San Antonio and Chicago.. which are third and fourth.. you watch because you have the best player on the planet right?

I find it funny that we heard this same thing in game 3 and 4 of the WCF's.. that the lakers were being robbed and that David Stern wanted Orlando and Phoenix in the finals.. Well look how that turned out.. I encourage all Laker fans to stop watching the NBA if they feel they are being robbed by the officials.. Please do...maybe Stern will make a hard cap on the Salary and we can stop having this Basketball monopoly by the bigger market teams.

albertc86
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
The refs have entirely too much control over a game. If you didn't know, refs actually meet before every game to discuss their approach to that particular game. For example, in this series, they've already discussed Perkins' technical situation, and obviously the magnitude of this series. What I don't understand is, if you're going to be blowing the whistle on every little call, be consistent and thorough in your review when it's available. Another thing that bothered me about last night was the amount of calls on the big name players which naturally changed the dynamics of the game. And I reiterate, if you're going to call ticky-tack fouls throughout the game, and you're not going to be consistent, then just let them play. Artest was the only big name that got fouled out but a number of the other guys in foul trouble could've easily been fouled out but weren't. There were a lot of BS calls to compensate for the BS call on the previous play, too. For example, Kobe's supposed lowering of the shoulder, and on the next play down, Allen was called for the samething.

fresh prince
06-07-2010, 02:47 PM
First sentence = Yes, yes it is. This thread would not exist if the Lakers won. It's the only thing I've heard from your entire fanbase on PSD after game two. Completely blind to the fact that the Celtics out-hustled and out-played the Lakers last night in an awesomely competitive game. Too many whistles, and some blown calls both ways (most of them favoring the Lakers), but a GREAT game.

Second sentence = Really? Basketball not as tough to ref as BASEBALL? That is a joke my friend. Basketball is probably the toughest sport to ref, period.

This site's funny. When I would normally have gripes with the officiating as well and vent them out, I can't help but defend them when I see this amount of ridiculous posts. It's as if the entire fanbase is protecting themselves from a Celtics victory by starting this mass hysteria over a couple questionable calls (which absolutely went both ways, and the Lakers on the receiving end of the majority).

As whistle happy as they were, the game was not decided by the refs. It was decided by Ray Allen going nova in the first half, and Rondo absolutely lacing the Lakers guards on both ends of the court in the 4th quarter. If it's going to make you pull your hair out to watch this lame "WWE performance", then don't watch.

This is mostly true. The C's were the better team last night, AND DESERVED TO WIN.

But to say most of the calls wenT the Lakers way is absurdly false. The flop that was called an offesnive foul On Kobe giving him his 4th foul and taking away 2 points was the biggest play / call of the game.

That call took away momentum from the Lakers and put Kobe on the bench for most of the game. Its my belief that in sports you have to overcome the adversity that is officiating so its not at all an excuse...But to say that that call, the Gasol/ KG Tip , and also Kobe's 5th foul were Rondo appeared to just fall out of bounds were'nt game altering would be insane.

masalex1205
06-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Look you're going to get some calls and lose some calls, thats the way it goes.

But come on dude, a Lakers fan complaining about the NBA being rigged is like Usher complaining that he doesn't get enough chicks

RadiantShot
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was going to root for LA, but I'm rooting for Boston now. You guys are PATHETIC.

ne3xchamps
06-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I know Phil Jackson is your coach, but goddam Laker fans are whiny. The Lakers lost. Get over it. They were vastly outplayed for the whole game except the beginning of the 3rd quarter. And if you thought the Lakers werent getting any calls you are dumb. They had 15 more free throw attempts. The Lakers made more freethrows than field goals. Go cry somewhere else.

I'm glad someone else thinks that too. You won't here me as a celtics fan crying about a loss. Game 1 we got our teeth kicked in towards the end **** happens. Last night the lakers did get out hustled and the boston defense showed up better.

fresh prince
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I was going to root for LA, but I'm rooting for Boston now. You guys are PATHETIC.

Oh NO!

:hide:

awmathewsjr
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM

I agree, it was a horrible call. But to compare NBA refs to Umpires is unfair. Baseball is the slowest game on earth next to golf and the NBA is arguably the fastest so mistakes are bound to be made. And if Im not mistaken didnt an Umpire just recently screw up MLB history with the safe call in the 9th inning with 2 out during a no hitter. Im sorry but the Pau Gasol out of bounds call wasn't as bad as that.

D1JM
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

How do you think garnett feels about gasol flopping every ****en time and getting a foul called on him? Gasol and Varejao are the kings in flopping

*Silver&Black*
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
NBA is a business, and rigged. I like watching the regular season, but I know not to get my hopes up in the playoffs.

Will NEVER see a T'Wolves, Griz, Kings, Suns, Warriors VS. Hawks, Wizards, Bobcats, 76ers, Pacers Finals as long as Stern is around. Going after those green backs baby. All about that money.

Draft is too.

Lebron getting drafted by a team in Ohio.
Rose getting drafted by a team in Chicago.

Trying to get the money out of cities. Stern knows he doesn't want Cavs winning a title and already made as much as possible out of Ohio, so now wanting Lebron in a big City. Watch him win a title next year.

Bruno
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
The refs need to swallow those whistles and let the guys play. It's not even fun to watch when they call it this tight. Ray got shafted in game one, and Kobe in game two. They need to get it together.

D1JM
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
The refs need to swallow those whistles and let the guys play. It's not even fun to watch when they call it this tight. Ray got shafted in game one, and Kobe in game two. They need to get it together.

what about garnett? Mr flop gasol is good at acting

Ebbs
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I agree honestly the NBA is fixed. . .

drew_ellis_23
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't like it? Don't watch it!

tdunk21
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
why wonder dude....just stop watching like micheal jordan watched the chicago vs philly NHL game....i still wonder why MJ was at the NHL game instead of staples center....

Bruno
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
what about garnett? Mr flop gasol is good at acting

sure, and Odom- there was a lot of shafting going on.

AI4MVP
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
woooow some lakers fans are ferreal *****es. If the lakers win, then they have no problem with the refs, if they lose, its never cuz they got clearly outplayed and outworked, its just cuz of the refs. how about shut the **** up and watch. there are bad calls each way. thats the way it is. the refs dont have the great views and replays we always have

Bruno
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Am I the only person who's sick of "at least it was horrible both ways"?? This is the pro's, they need to get it right at a higher %

That officiating crew last night looked young, and inexperience. Maybe I'm wrong. Both teams are getting shafted and they should be allowed to play some physical ball.

tdunk21
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
woooow some lakers fans are ferreal *****es. If the lakers win, then they have no problem with the refs, if they lose, its never cuz they got clearly outplayed and outworked, its just cuz of the refs. how about shut the **** up and watch. there are bad calls each way. thats the way it is. the refs dont have the great views and replays we always have
:cool:

D1JM
06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Am I the only person who's sick of "at least it was horrible both ways"?? This is the pro's, they need to get it right at a higher %

That officiating crew last night looked young, and inexperience. Maybe I'm wrong. Both teams are getting shafted and they should be allowed to play some physical ball.

they should but they dont. Its like how rose attacks the basket the same way wade does, but rose about 90% time wont get that foul. Pisses the **** out of me but i got use to seeing that by now.

Atticus Finch
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Im with you on that. Consistently calling a poor game for both teams doest equate to good officiating, just horribly slow and boring basketball. I dont want the Lakers to lose because of horrible refs in the same way I dont want to see the Lakers win only to have it be overshadowed by questionable calls. I want to watch 2 great teams give it all they have and all I ask is that I feel that whoever won deserved to win.

I wouldn't go so far as to say its rigged, I dont believe that at all, but it just seems the refs are trying too hard to control the game out of fear of the physical and emotional nature of the matchup.

rhino17
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
The NBA is becoming a joke. The officials are the worst in professional sports around the world. They are given far too much control of the game. The NBA is clearly fixed to a degree, it's not even debatable anymore, I think tim donaghy's stroy proved that much

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:hi5:

jimbobjarree
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Lakers fans complaining about refs = the definition of irony

JordansBulls
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Whenever the Lakers lose a close game it's fans always blame the officials. The same goes for Boston as well.

macc
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Honestly we need an official "cry about the refs" thread. Lakers lose a game and 20 threads opening up about the refs all started by Laker fans. Yes there are some good psd laker fan posters out there, but you guys who have been starting all these threads are making your fellow fans look bad. Don't believe me, that's fine. Just keep opening up these annoying threads.

Bottom line is in game one the Lakers out played the Celtics and won the game, game two Boston out played the Lakers and won the game. See a trend? If you outplay the other team, the chances are you'll win the game....crazy thought I know.

Refs have a difficult job. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to officiate a Lebron James. Then you have vets like Pierce and Kobe who know all the tricks on how to draw fouls, plus they know what they can/can't get away with. I'm basically saying it's alot harder then it looks.

Bottom line is 99.9% of the time refs aren't going to determine the outcome of a game. When you look at a game and what teams have to do to prepare for it, you break it down. You have offensive schemes, defensive schemes, substituion rotations, on/off ball movement. Inbound plays, plays for any number of particular situations. Then you have refs. If an NBA game was a pie charts, the refs being taken into an account would be about 1% of the total outcome.

Do you think Phil Jacksons game plan changes depending on which refs are on the court? If your answer is NO then obviously coaches are not thinking the refs have as big of impact on a game as you fellow psd users believe.

Bottom line is mistakes are going to happen. It is what it is. If you can't tolerate human error than don't watch. In saying that, if you accept human error than your argument shouldn't even be with the refs, it should be, how can we make our officiating more accurate? That can be done with more instant replay, on the same token, some of you complain that there are already to many stops during a game and think instant reply would just break up the "flow" of the game even further. At that point you just need to make up your mind and go with the lesser of two evils.

On another note, a bad call can get a superstar/allstar/key player sent to the bench early because of foul trouble, once again you shouldn't blame it on the refs because we now believe in human error. Your argument in this case should be that, I don't know, a player should be allow a 7th foul, or that players shouldn't foul out at all, in that case you could have both teams as close to 100% while facing each other as you can get.

All in all when people loose they look for an excuse, its in human nature, blaming the refs is a natural reaction. You see our cry baby NBA players complaining about every call and you follow suit. Instead of following suit you should set an example and make it a point to tell our "stars" to suck it up and adjust to the game.

But that's just my opinion.

Caps1989
06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
How is this suprising to some people? The NBA is slowly falling back into oblivion with Stern at the helm.

PraiseJesus
06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I agree with the original poster.

The only thing I would add is that I thought the officiating all regular season was tolerable. I had no problems at all really. I would also include the the playoffs up to this point.

But last night, that was the worst officiating I have ever seen.

It was decidedly one sided infavor of the Celtics. I know ppl keep talking about the the FT disparity but I didnt have a problem with that. The Celtics were taking more outside shots and the Lakers were pounding it inside thats why they got more fouls called.

Bottomline is that the game was pretty much tied with 3 mins to go and a string of one sided calls and no calls gave the Celtics the win.

I never complain about the officiating, but to wait all year for this match up only to see the refs take over the game is disheartening and deflating.

When the Dodgers won a game last week off a questionable Balk call, I was ashamed of that win. I didn't think the Dodgers deserved that win and the DBack didn't deserve to lose like that.

Objective Boston Celtic fans should feel the same way. They should be ashamed of that win because they did not deserve it.

Each of those blown calls in the final 3 mins netted the Celtics around 5 points in swing.

Stop taking over the game refs let these players play. And for god's sake, if you take time to look at a replay get the dang call right. Is that too much to ask?

CityofTreez
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
NBA refs are the biggest jokes in all of sports!

One reason:Tim Donaghy and my Sac Kings!

tredigs
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree with the original poster.

The only thing I would add is that I thought the officiating all regular season was tolerable. I had no problems at all really. I would also include the the playoffs up to this point.

But last night, that was the worst officiating I have ever seen.

It was decidedly one sided infavor of the Celtics. I know ppl keep talking about the the FT disparity but I didnt have a problem with that. The Celtics were taking more outside shots and the Lakers were pounding it inside thats why they got more fouls called.

Bottomline is that the game was pretty much tied with 3 mins to go and a string of one sided calls and no calls gave the Celtics the win.

I never complain about the officiating, but to wait all year for this match up only to see the refs take over the game is disheartening and deflating.

When the Dodgers won a game last week off a questionable Balk call, I was ashamed of that win. I didn't think the Dodgers deserved that win and the DBack didn't deserve to lose like that.

Objective Boston Celtic fans should feel the same way. They should be ashamed of that win because they did not deserve it.

Each of those blown calls in the final 3 mins netted the Celtics around 5 points in swing.

Stop taking over the game refs let these players play. And for god's sake, if you take time to look at a replay get the dang call right. Is that too much to ask?

CELTICS OUTPLAYED THE LAKERS, PERIOD.

Interesting (see: entirely expected) how I haven't seen one mention of Kobe's invisible And-1... or Fisher's flop on Allen directly after Allen's flop on Kobe... or the clear blocks against the C's that went for 4 points in the Lakers bag... or the fact that KG had multiple ridiculous calls on him that took him out of the game... or acknowledgement that Ray was taken out of game one by similar tack fouls that never should have been blown.

These ref's have been calling the finals far too tight, but the better team won both nights. The fans that can't respect that can ***** and moan all they want, but it's not going to change a thing. Either stop watching, or stop crying. It's beyond pathetic at this point.

Macc is exactly right that this site needs an official "whine about officiating" thread. I guess we do have the Lakers forum already, but I mean another one in the NBA general area.

Thank you to the three Lakers fans who actually moved on from game 2 (which was still an amazing game, in case anyone was too blinded by the admittedly overzealous whistles to realize that) and shifted their focus onto the next one.

tangent12
06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
That Garnett out of bounds call was really shady and i honestly thought it was a crucial turning point.

The[chi][town]
06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
why wonder dude....just stop watching like micheal jordan watched the chicago vs philly NHL game....i still wonder why MJ was at the NHL game instead of staples center....

cuz stern already told him who was gonna win:D

and btw i havnt watched one game of the nba finals this year. GO HAWKS

Hawkeye15
06-07-2010, 05:50 PM
it was horrendous both ways. For every out of bounce call for the Celtic's, there was a clean block by Big Baby on Bynum foul. It has gone both ways

MickeyMgl
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM

The thing is, though some bad calls went against the Celtics, they weren't PHANTOM calls like the Lakers were getting. I mean, Davis' block on Bynum? There was a lot of contact on that play. I'm not saying it was a foul, but that's a 50-50 call. Was it clean up top? Did he foul him with the body? We could DEBATE those calls till next month. As a Laker fan, I want those calls, but I'm not going to complain about them much.

The Lakers' best player - far from getting "star calls" - was taken out of the game with completely phantom calls. I mean, seriously, you don't have to protect stars, but at least let him EARN foul trouble. He was just, basically, removed from the game. No Celtic flop went unrewarded, even when there was no contact. At least three fouls on Kobe this way, at least two on Artest.

And then the out of bounds call! Why even have replay if they're still going to get it wrong, and how much of a coincidence is it that even in the face of video evidence, that egregious mistake went the way of all the other egregious mistakes. In a one-possession game, the Celtics got the ball back and scored to nearly ice the game.

jackdawson
06-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Hard to absorb the loss? Marinate thel loss before you try to swallow it.

L@ker4Life
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Listen celtics fans...I dont think anybody is arguing the point that you guys played great last night and you guys out worked the Lakers. Still the officiating was crap all game.....the thing about it is that it wasn't one sided at all is was just horrible officiating. It's hard to get into games where there is no rhythm or flow. Obviously I want the Lakers to win, but if I'm going to watch them lose at least let me watch basketball games with great players instead of a free throw contest and a bunch of 2nd string players running around cause all the stars are on the bench due to foul trouble.

So yes I am complaining about the officiating, but NO i am not saying that it caused the Lakers to lose I'm just saying its taking the enjoyment out of watching the games.

knickfan4life
06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
i want celtics fans to tell me KOBE deserved EVEN ONE of those two fouls in the 2nd quarter and ill b ok w/ it. u take kobe out the game for 6 minutes, of course celtics get the big lead. aint about hustle n all that. kobe got crap fouls called on him... refs wanted the C's to win that game

Indi23
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Reffing is only bad if inconsistent, and of course once in a while there will be a horrible call but please don't complain especially when you have the King of receiving phantom calls (Kobe)

Indi23
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Listen celtics fans...I dont think anybody is arguing the point that you guys played great last night and you guys out worked the Lakers. Still the officiating was crap all game.....the thing about it is that it wasn't one sided at all is was just horrible officiating. It's hard to get into games where there is no rhythm or flow. Obviously I want the Lakers to win, but if I'm going to watch them lose at least let me watch basketball games with great players instead of a free throw contest and a bunch of 2nd string players running around cause all the stars are on the bench due to foul trouble.

So yes I am complaining about the officiating, but NO i am not saying that it caused the Lakers to lose I'm just saying its taking the enjoyment out of watching the games.

Do you know if you hit all your FT's your team would have won and officiating wouldn't be the subject here today

gcoll
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
"Here's the plan guys. We're gonna get the Lakers 20 more FTs throughout most of the game. But in the fourth, if it's close...when there's an out of bounds call where Garnett and Gasol both go for it, we're giving it to the Celtics thus ensuring their victory!!!"

ElMarroAfamado
06-07-2010, 06:37 PM
im getting really annoyed that
everytime a team plays at home THEY GET ALL THE CALLS......
why cant refs keep from being biased and just call it down the line?
it makes the game too predictable and easy to hate
i bet Game 3 the Celtics are going to get all the calls...
but it shouldnt be like that.....its really annoying and makes me not want to watch anymore

PraiseJesus
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't care what happened the first 45 mins of the game.

It came down to a 3 min game at the end when they were pretty much tied.

At that point the real bias of the officials came out. Celtics got every call and the Lakers got none thats how they went on like a 10-0 run.

Joke game, joke series, joke league.

valade16
06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Here's the problem I have with any Celtic or Laker fan complaining about officiating or insinuating that the league is rigged by the refs.

IF it is... it's TOWARDS THE LAKERS OR CELTICS!!

Try being a Portland Trailblazer fan and see how many beneficial calls you get then. It must be nice as a Laker fan knowing Stern will do everything in his power to see you guys at the top.

Quit complaining.

valade16
06-07-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't care what happened the first 45 mins of the game.

It came down to a 3 min game at the end when they were pretty much tied.

At that point the real bias of the officials came out. Celtics got every call and the Lakers got none thats how they went on like a 10-0 run.

Joke game, joke series, joke league.

Yeah, that's right, because it's MORE BENEFICIAL to screw the Lakers right? :rolleyes:

Seriously think about, what team (outside the KNicks) does Stern want to be successfull more than any other?

THE LAKERS.

So why would his crony refs be biased AGAINST them?

THey wouldn't. Your just mad because the Lakers lost.

magichatnumber9
06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Then don't watch the NBA anymore. Nobody cares/ Trust me I did one of these 2 years ago.

PraiseJesus
06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, that's right, because it's MORE BENEFICIAL to screw the Lakers right? :rolleyes:

Seriously think about, what team (outside the KNicks) does Stern want to be successfull more than any other?

THE LAKERS.

So why would his crony refs be biased AGAINST them?

They wouldn't. Your just mad because the Lakers lost.

I dont have an answer to that. It could be any of 1000 reasons.

The important thing is that it happened. I challenge any1 to watch that game from the 4 or 3min mark in the 4th quarter and tell me that it was officiated even CLOSE to fair.

The Jokemaker
06-07-2010, 07:01 PM
As a non-Laker or Celtic fan. I have to agree. Starting with the Conference finals it is incredible how blatantly obvious the officiating has been in their calls. One game a team has 4 free throws and the other has 30. How in this day and age of the NBA does that happen? The NBA wants ratings, the NBA needs money, the NBA needs people to care about basketball. Stern said early this year the NBA was millions in debt as a whole so the motivation to have a high ratings finals is there. Just a shame.

ldawg
06-07-2010, 07:03 PM
if you don't how you got in here? that means you do care

ldawg
06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Theres no way the referee's can be this bad without some behind the scenes motivation. Im not saything this because the lakers lost. The refs called some bad ones on the Celtics too. but its amazing how many bad call there are in NBA games. Its not that hard to ref a game as opposed to being a umpire in MLB. The umpires are right 95% of the time. In the NBA its more like 60%. Last night had a out of bounds call that was reviewed and all the commentators on TV agreed that the Lakers should get the ball. eveyone on TV had to agree as well. You seen Gasol's big white hand on Garnetts big black hand and the big black hand was on top of the ball. Garnett was the last guy to touch the ball and it was clear as day. It came at a time when the Lakers were still in it to win. Theres no way their going to allow the lakers to run away with the series. theres too much money involved. were talking about Lakers vs Celtics. Everyone wants it to go 7 games so they are going to make sure that happen. Im starting to think the NBA is fixed. its nothing more than a rehearsed show like wrestling. wresting is fake and the NBA just might be as well? You are not alone myself and many will wonder the same thing after this series. This year i miss many games that normally i would put an extra effort to watch. to many stops in the game makes it a bore and the worst part most are bad calls. If they can't call it right stop blowing the darn whistle its the finals. you are dictating the outcome or the game people don't pay money the watch you blow whistles.

MickeyMgl
06-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Reffing is only bad if inconsistent

And it was. "Let them play" at one end, and tight at the other end.

and of course once in a while there will be a horrible call but please don't complain especially when you have the King of receiving phantom calls (Kobe)

It ain't true just 'cause you say it is. Bryant draws fouls because guys can't guard him. Once in a while, he may benefit from a ticky-tack call, and other times (a lot) he doesn't get a call he should, but in either case, there is at least contact. Then there's last night (and Game 2 of '08) when the calls against him were truly of the "phantom" variety.

Verbal Christ
06-07-2010, 07:23 PM
wasnt the FT shooting lopsided in the favor of the lakers last game?

Penetra8r
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Bad economy...

NBA wants a game 7 (foaming from the mouth)

Refs need extra income from gambling.

Its all good, go Lakers

Sixerlover
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Ugh.

MickeyMgl
06-07-2010, 09:30 PM
wasnt the FT shooting lopsided in the favor of the lakers last game?

36-31 in favor of Boston, so no.

Not that FTA totals have any relevance to whether a game is officiated fairly.

Sly Guy
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
the only thing you need to point to when trying to prove the terrible officiating is the call of boston ball after garnett clearly touched it last. It's inexcusable to get the wrong call when it's a reviewable play.

Lakersho
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Ya, they suck , we should have delonte go screw the hell out of thier moms!!!!!

IndiansFan337
06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I can't stand it when people complain about officiating.

ldawg
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I can't stand it when people complain about officiating. if you watch the game you will understand the frustration. its ok to miss a call or two but these fools called a ton and close to half was the wrong call. Let them play its the finals. the one that got me piss was they looked at instant reply and still call the wrong call that is insulting as a fan. how can stern sit and fine players and coaches for the short coming of these retards in the stripe shirt?

Indi23
06-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Ok they should rewrite the rule books and make flopping an immediate technical foul. Like in soccer and hockey call it diving " cough" Fisher "cough" oh wait its natural for a fish to flop when out of water.

Mplsman
06-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Not me. I do hate david stern though.

hugepatsfan
06-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I dont have an answer to that. It could be any of 1000 reasons.

The important thing is that it happened. I challenge any1 to watch that game from the 4 or 3min mark in the 4th quarter and tell me that it was officiated even CLOSE to fair.

What about the foul on Perk to give Kobe an and 1 in the 4th? What about the two clean blocks by BOS that got wiped out by **** calls? STFU with your whining.

wileyisTOFU
06-08-2010, 01:43 AM

:clap::clap::clap:

MickeyMgl
06-08-2010, 05:05 AM
I can't stand it when people complain about officiating.

Then keep your eyes closed and pretend everything's perfect.

MickeyMgl
06-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Ok they should rewrite the rule books and make flopping an immediate technical foul. Like in soccer and hockey call it diving " cough" Fisher "cough" oh wait its natural for a fish to flop when out of water.

No need to cough it out. Everybody knows Fisher's rep. Still, there's a difference between drawing a charge (absorbing contact and maybe "selling" it as a foul), and outright flopping, pantomiming illegal contact where there was none at all. One is Fisher/Cooper/Rodman, the other is Divac/Pierce/Allen.

MickeyMgl
06-08-2010, 05:16 AM
What about the foul on Perk to give Kobe an and 1 in the 4th?

Yeah, what about it?

What about the two clean blocks by BOS that got wiped out by **** calls? STFU with your whining.

I can think of one that you're probably referring to - Davis on Bynum. That may or may not have been a bad call. A block up top, maybe to much contact below. That's a bang-bang play, and if they got it wrong, that's at least a routine error. Calling fouls where there is not even any contact is the real BS call. No comparison. Or do you have an example of the Celtics getting jobbed on a call that had clear video evidence?

No? OK, then STFU with your whining about whining.

azkarraga
06-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Its funny, depending on who's winning, the other team fans start lost of threads like this. Nonsense.

Now we just can't wacht NBA because the referees? LOL

mark1125
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Its funny, depending on who's winning, the other team fans start lost of threads like this. Nonsense.

Now we just can't wacht NBA because the referees? LOL

So very true and so very pathetic.

According to PSD fans NO team has EVER won a game cleanly. It's always the officiating.

And of all to be complaining it's Laker fans?!?!?! They have gotten more calls then anyone.

Close the thread.

RipVW
06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
You should start watching the Stanley Cup then. Its pretty exciting. Even Jordan is watching the Stanley Cup.

Chronz
06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, what about it?
There was no contact

I can think of one that you're probably referring to - Davis on Bynum.
Pierce on Artest was perfectly timed.

No? OK, then STFU with your whining about whining.
Ur bias is showing

Iodine
06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Can someone tell me when the NBA forum just goes back to being really bad and not the current level of ****?

Chronz
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
The thing is, though some bad calls went against the Celtics, they weren't PHANTOM calls like the Lakers were getting. I mean, Davis' block on Bynum? There was a lot of contact on that play. I'm not saying it was a foul, but that's a 50-50 call. Was it clean up top? Did he foul him with the body? We could DEBATE those calls till next month. As a Laker fan, I want those calls, but I'm not going to complain about them much.

The Lakers' best player - far from getting "star calls" - was taken out of the game with completely phantom calls. I mean, seriously, you don't have to protect stars, but at least let him EARN foul trouble. He was just, basically, removed from the game. No Celtic flop went unrewarded, even when there was no contact. At least three fouls on Kobe this way, at least two on Artest.

And then the out of bounds call! Why even have replay if they're still going to get it wrong, and how much of a coincidence is it that even in the face of video evidence, that egregious mistake went the way of all the other egregious mistakes. In a one-possession game, the Celtics got the ball back and scored to nearly ice the game.

Thats kind of the point, if its a 50-50 call then wouldnt an allegedly bias ref skew the call in favor of the team hes "fixing" to win? Why call that a foul when it looked perfectly timed. It was an instinctive call when you consider the height difference.

MickeyMgl
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
There was no contact

Yes there was. Nobody else is even questioning this.

http://www.lakersmedia.com/Flash/finals-celtics-at-lakers-66-hd-highlights.html

4:28 of the video. Allen undercuts Bryant on the shot. That's a foul.

Sorry, but there are no Celtic examples of the kind of botched calls that went against the Lakers in that game.

Ur bias is showing

Mmm nope... That video I linked to is showing yours. There's also no bias in wondering how officials miss a pivotal call despite video review.

MickeyMgl
06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Thats kind of the point, if its a 50-50 call then wouldnt an allegedly bias ref skew the call in favor of the team hes "fixing" to win? Why call that a foul when it looked perfectly timed. It was an instinctive call when you consider the height difference.

Who said anything about a fix? Indulging that theory, though, they'd probably want to mix in calls both ways so that the FTA totals look equitable, since so many lazy people don't look past those totals to evaluate officiating.

Lo Porto
06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
The Lakers shot 39 FT's to the Celtics 13 when that questionable Garnett/Gasol out of bounds play happened. For any Laker fan to complain about the refs is a joke. Did you not see that every 50-50 call in the entire Utah and Phoenix series went to LA?

LA fans complaining about the refs is as stupid as a Laker coach complaining about another team getting given a star player for nothing. Oh wait, their coach did that already. LA fans are like a rich kid complaining about the color of his ferrari.

shen
06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Refs have been horrendous the last year or two on a consistent basis. I am not talking about star calls I am talking just over all ability to call a game. It has gotten this way because Stern no matter how right someone is fines people for talking about refs. Stern care more about image then the game. His reasoning is that if you question them they wont make the good calls, well they don't make good calls as it is. Stern sucks, fire him, half the refs, and then see how things go.

majestic
06-09-2010, 06:02 AM
hi. 8 champions in 30 years. its fixed.
i mean there is more parity in baseball and theres no salary cap. its obvious stern is behind this and the refs are being assigned to call it one way or the other, sure boston will calls one game, then the lakers the next. its to extend the series and make $$.. u guys should really pay attention to tim donaghy.. he has a very nice facebook page and post/replies to all.. he also has a tell all book.

macc
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
hi. 8 champions in 30 years. its fixed.
i mean there is more parity in baseball and theres no salary cap. its obvious stern is behind this and the refs are being assigned to call it one way or the other, sure boston will calls one game, then the lakers the next. its to extend the series and make $$.. u guys should really pay attention to tim donaghy.. he has a very nice facebook page and post/replies to all.. he also has a tell all book.

:facepalm: Can anyone give anymore detail then this? Some of you guys just say "its fixed, Stern wants this and that to happen." Ok instead of just coming out with the blanket statement of it's fixed. Tell us which refs are calling games certain ways. Check out their fouling pattern, tell me their tendancies, are the same officials calling games differently from game to game or are they changing the way they call a game? In what ways are they changing it?

Basically what I'm saying is show us a little depth into your accuasation instead of just saying "its fixed."

I just don't understand why people think Stern has this motive about fixing games. I don't understand why people think it has to be a Cleveland/Laker series or Boston/Laker series in order for it to be successful. Bottom line is the NBA sells itself. Theres no lack of stars in the NBA. Hense the reason they don't advertise by team, they advertise by player/team. Deron Williams and the Jazz vs Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets. On 99% of the NBA teams in the league, they have a bonafied All star on their roster. No matter who makes it to the finals, it can be marketed with the stars they have.

But seriously think about this. If you think the NBA is rigged then why did the boring Spurs and boring Pistons dominate for all those years? So please unless somone can show me some actual "proof" of basketball being rigged than just bite your tongue, just because theres enough ignorant people out who say it's rigged because it's the popular thing to do these days, doesn't mean it is. Stay Classy

Raoul Duke
06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes, there is way more parity in baseball. Basketball and baseball are completely different games. Can one baseball player on one team have the kind of impact on an entire season that one basketball player can? What about one football player? I'd go as far as to say that there is no other team sport where an individual can have as big an impact on a team (maybe Hockey, sometimes???).

And yes, the games are also kinda sorta fixed. But just a smidge.

LA_Raiders
06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree, there is so many bad calls, it is ridiculous now...And the only thing left to think is that is fixed, and I'm starting to believe so... its sad but Stern is ****ing the NBA up...

Let them play....

Da Knicks
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Its not fixed the whole way but can the big markets have a better chance at winning yes and if you are going to have a chance at a championship you better have an international team like the spurs. Dude Detriot is not a small market either but when people say rigged they mean to the whole pau gasol trade, the kevin garnett trade and all the other trades over the years to make the lakers good. Orlando is a good market and Shaq still left for the bigger market. The nba is like a reality tv show and the old shows just well get old. You need new shows and the nba is scared Los Angeles could have a drop in attendance like the nfl did hence giving them better players. I know its business but people want something different and thats why most of us are not watching the finals.

Free agency is much bigger to all of us since our teams actually have a chance especially teams that have a big market. If you were in charge of the nba and had no team preferance what cities would you promote to get you the cash necessary to make the business succeed? I see the nba more like a sitcom but I do enjoy watching basketball so much that i disregard the politics so i can enjoy it. But damn they really need to put a new show for the finals this is too boring to watch...

Mplsman
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I know the lottery is fixed, and these refs are beyond ridiculous. Other than that still got love for the game.

spoonhoops
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Every fan has an issue with the refereeing regardless if thier team has won the championship or not. Are refs bias? He!! yes! Are a lot of their call subjective and not necessarily according to the rule book? of course. The NBA will always be messed up like that until robots can ref teh games to perfection. :)

macc
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I know the lottery is fixed, and these refs are beyond ridiculous. Other than that still got love for the game.

Ok please explain how you know the lottery is fixed.........

Da Knicks
06-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Everybody knew washington would end up picking first just like we all knew Ewing would be a knick and Lebron would get to play in his hometown.

macc
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Everybody knew washington would end up picking first just like we all knew Ewing would be a knick and Lebron would get to play in his hometown.

Ok why would Lebron playing in his own town of Cleveland Ohio benefit the NBA whatsoever? Wouldn't you want Lebron James in a big market?

The things you guys come up with is unreal sometimes.

majestic
06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
:facepalm: Can anyone give anymore detail then this? Some of you guys just say "its fixed, Stern wants this and that to happen." Ok instead of just coming out with the blanket statement of it's fixed. Tell us which refs are calling games certain ways. Check out their fouling pattern, tell me their tendancies, are the same officials calling games differently from game to game or are they changing the way they call a game? In what ways are they changing it?

Basically what I'm saying is show us a little depth into your accuasation instead of just saying "its fixed."

I just don't understand why people think Stern has this motive about fixing games. I don't understand why people think it has to be a Cleveland/Laker series or Boston/Laker series in order for it to be successful. Bottom line is the NBA sells itself. Theres no lack of stars in the NBA. Hense the reason they don't advertise by team, they advertise by player/team. Deron Williams and the Jazz vs Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets. On 99% of the NBA teams in the league, they have a bonafied All star on their roster. No matter who makes it to the finals, it can be marketed with the stars they have.

But seriously think about this. If you think the NBA is rigged then why did the boring Spurs and boring Pistons dominate for all those years? So please unless somone can show me some actual "proof" of basketball being rigged than just bite your tongue, just because theres enough ignorant people out who say it's rigged because it's the popular thing to do these days, doesn't mean it is. Stay Classy

tim donaghy is proof.
read tim donaghys book and follow him on facebook, he is a class act and tells it how it is. tim breaks down each game, foul by foul.. obviously people in the nba cant speak up because stern will fine them. they have to keep there mouth shut

MickeyMgl
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
The extent to which I think any NBA game or series is "fixed" is possibly that the NBA would like all series to go 7 games, regardless of who wins - and the refs know this, even if they aren't actually instructed to do something about it. They especially don't want the big marquee rivalry series to end in 4-5 games.

ElToro
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Because the NBA is turning into another WWF!

macc
06-09-2010, 05:27 PM
tim donaghy is proof.
read tim donaghys book and follow him on facebook, he is a class act and tells it how it is. tim breaks down each game, foul by foul.. obviously people in the nba cant speak up because stern will fine them. they have to keep there mouth shut

Did you just use "Tim Donaghy" and "proof" in the same sentence? Please don't tell me you're taking what he says as gospel. Ok THINK here for a min. The guy now has no job, meaning he has no income coming into his household. Don't you think for just a sec that maybe he's exaggerating things a bit so he can actually sell his book? Which in turn would put more money in his pocket? Hmmmmmm, just a thought......

Tim Donaghy is going to milk this as long as he can. Unfortunetly suckers like you (no offense) eat up everything he says and buys into the whole ref conspiracy plotting. Come on man, use your head and don't believe everything you read, esp when its coming from a jobless felon who needs to create attention to sell his book so he can make money off of it. Not sayin I'm just sayin...

majestic
06-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Did you just use "Tim Donaghy" and "proof" in the same sentence? Please don't tell me you're taking what he says as gospel. Ok THINK here for a min. The guy now has no job, meaning he has no income coming into his household. Don't you think for just a sec that maybe he's exaggerating things a bit so he can actually sell his book? Which in turn would put more money in his pocket? Hmmmmmm, just a thought......

Tim Donaghy is going to milk this as long as he can. Unfortunetly suckers like you (no offense) eat up everything he says and buys into the whole ref conspiracy plotting. Come on man, use your head and don't believe everything you read, esp when its coming from a jobless felon who needs to create attention to sell his book so he can make money off of it. Not sayin I'm just sayin...

dude predicted games and was right 14/15.. idk if u follow a.m. radio but he does alot of interviews and he is telling the truth, why wouldnt he. just because he went to jail doesnt mean anything, nba is fixed, get over it. deal with it. except it. blah blah blah.

i knew the nba was was fixed around 2002? lol.. i mean come on now its so obvious. why r u blind?? because what u love the nba and cant believe it, or u wont believe it?

you tell me to use my head, im sure u believe the refs are just bad, but yet shouldnt refs be top of the line in nba and be way better?? i mean they get paid alot.. lol but yea theyre bad and stern isnt gonna do **** about it because they listen to him and he gets what he wants, why dont u use your eyes for once. there is so many more people that now believe what i have believed for years now and its awesome. itll come out sooner or later. :)) donaghy just tryin to help.

read his book before u even try to argue with me. next

macc
06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
dude predicted games and was right 14/15.. idk if u follow a.m. radio but he does alot of interviews and he is telling the truth, why wouldnt he. just because he went to jail doesnt mean anything, nba is fixed, get over it. deal with it. except it. blah blah blah.

i knew the nba was was fixed around 2002? lol.. i mean come on now its so obvious. why r u blind?? because what u love the nba and cant believe it, or u wont believe it?

you tell me to use my head, im sure u believe the refs are just bad, but yet shouldnt refs be top of the line in nba and be way better?? i mean they get paid alot.. lol but yea theyre bad and stern isnt gonna do **** about it because they listen to him and he gets what he wants, why dont u use your eyes for once. there is so many more people that now believe what i have believed for years now and its awesome. itll come out sooner or later. :)) donaghy just tryin to help.

read his book before u even try to argue with me. next

Did you say "why wouldn't he tell the truth." I just told you. The guy lost is job and is basically a loser felon in jail. He needs to make money somehow so now hes exaggerating facts to make his book sell. That's why he wouldn't tell the truth. How do you not understand that?

But tell me why you think it's fixed. What is your reasoning why you think that. What am I being blind to seeing? As I said before, if Stern was so set on particular teams making it to the finals then why did the boring Spurs and boring Pistons dominate for all those years?

Korman12
06-09-2010, 07:55 PM

No, they didn't.

Just like everyone new the Clippers would get first last year?

MackShock
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I dont follow NBA. I follow the Warriors. haha. The most heartbroken yet loyal fans in the league.