PDA

View Full Version : Fan of your team, or fan of your player ?

zadora5
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Now we all know that there is some people that are loyal to there team's, and some that are loyal to there player's. As for me i watched Dwayne Wade grow up playing for the Marquette University. i am loyal to him. where-ever he would have got drafted to i would have been loyal to him. now there is some kobe fans some lakers fans. some lebron fans some cleveland fans... some dwight fan's and some magic fans. admit it are you a fan of the team or a fan of the player ?

GSW Hoops
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm a fan of my team, not a single player. If the Warriors ever had a player worth following I'd gladly follow him to another squad :)

Just kidding. GSW for life!

Sadds The Gr8
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Raps all day, every day. Raps 4 LYFE

Avenged
06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Fan of my team of course. The Lakers history goes way beyond just Kobe Bryant.

zadora5
06-07-2010, 12:47 PM

^^^^

respected-

zadora5
06-07-2010, 12:47 PM

^^^^

respected-

td0tsfinest
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm a fan of the Raptors because of the team and city.

But I am a fan of the Suns because of Steve Nash.

NYKstateOFmind
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Fan of my team of course. But i like a few players on other teams. But i stay true

zadora5
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
i'm staying true if i watched dwayne wade before he got into the draft... there is nothing to be ashamed of just because your a fan of the player

DodgerBulls
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Team person, but if my fav player got traded away, i'd still watch him and hope him the best but will never cheer for the other team just because of that player.

JasonJohnHorn
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
More a fan of the game than anything. There are players I like, guys who share the ball and focus on team play and team defence. I really loved that Detroit team that won the title, the Spurs, Duncan, Ben Wallce, Chauncey, I like Gasol a lot (though I dont like him in a Lakers uniform ;-) lol) and I like how a guys like Odom and Ginobili do what is best by coming off the bench for their teams even though they would both be starting on 90% of the teams in the league. I like hard working rebounders and defenders like Varejao, Ben Wallace, pass-first point guards like Nash, or point guards that work hard on every apsect of the game like Rondo. I like how guys like Pierce, Allen and Garnett dont mind when younger guys shine and dont let ego get in the way of winning, and super stars like LBJ who make an effort to get teammates involved.

So when ever teams who us that type of approach win, I'm happy. I'm not a big Lakers fan, more so not a big Kobe fan to be honest, but last year they played like a true team and it was nice to watch them play that style of game.

Tom81
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I was Barkley fan,and since he was in suns I am suns fan 4 ever

Ray_R
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Bulls fan was mostly there for post Jordan so I see no reason I should change,What is the worst that can happen right?I was there.

ink
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Fan of the team. How could any Raptors fan be a fan of a player when they will probably all be gone next year again.

abe_froman
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
team.if they sign with someone else or get traded,i tend not to follow them that closely anymore

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm a fan of the team because a fan of a player sounds like "twilight" the movie.

asandhu23
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
team

awmathewsjr
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Im a team fan but I do follow certain players

Ebbs
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I would stay a Dallas fan but I honestly am not sure if Dirk left and his team played the mavs in the finals who I would route for. Also am only a pheonix fab cuz of Steve.

Young2Kinsler
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I will always be a Mavs fan forever, but Dirk holds a special place in my sports heart. If he ever left, not only would it be a huge disappointment, but it would create another team for me to root for. Secondary of course, but I would pull for them.

Klivlend
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Fan of the Cavs. Been a Cavs fan my entire life. I remember when they pulled of the three team trade to acquire Shawn Kemp. Not gonna lie, I was kinda excited and hoping he would be good again...but nope. I remember watching the draft in '03 and being stoked when they drafted LBJ. It's not easy being a Cleveland sports fan, but that was a good day...as pathetic as that sounds. I would be devastated if LBJ left C-Town, but as long as he doesn't go to NY or NJ I'll still be a LBJ fan

Paulliwali
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
got into Rocket's because of Yao. but now I love the team, even if GM don't sign him or trade him, now I am just the fan of the team.

Hellcrooner
06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Team always.

Im reallhy hopeing we can SIgn and trade PAU for Lebrn or Bosh*and Calderon this summer

That should tell it all.

Yams
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm generally a college sports fan and prefer it more than the pro game. The only reason I cheer the pro teams that I do is because of the players. In college football/basketball I cheer for the team.

CTown81
06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Im a fan of all Cleveland teams 1st before any player.

If Lebron goes to another team im really not sure how ill react. He is a Cleveland/Akron guy so im sure he will still do some things for the city which I will appreciate but I think I will also have a real hard time hoping he wins titles.

It will probably depend on the situation. If he goes to Miami and plays with Wade and they are playing the C's ill probably root for the Heat in that series..

If he goes to Chicago or New York I will probably rather him continue to fail.

Its much easier when players get traded away from your teams. An example is CC Sabathia. He was sent to New York but put out a full page add in the local Cleveland papers thanking the fans. That was really classy so I always hope he does well even though I hate the Yankees.

Niro
06-07-2010, 05:11 PM
fan of my team (warriors)
i think you will get more fans of a team not player when looking at a bad team while a lot of guys are just fan of the lakers,cavs etc cuz of lebron and kobe

Gilly1254
06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
I became a fan of the Magic when they drafted shaq but once he left i continued being a fan.

Lo Porto
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Fan of my TEAM. That's why I became a Jazz fan in first place because basketball is supposed to be about TEAM.

disk 8
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
hometown teams first

D1JM
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
what happen to all the rose threads and all the rose hatred??? i miss them:(

Kakaroach
06-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Team for sure.

Mudvayne91
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Definitely has to be the team. I was such a big Fedorov fan after playing some Sega NHL game in like 92 cause I could only score with him (I was like 6). Fedorov is the reason for the 91 on my name too. I slowly adopted the Red Wings and became a big fan of the team. A few Stanley Cups later he left. From that point on I really didn't like him. I had to rip the Fedorov posters on my wall cause of it too. I don't dislike him anymore and would welcome him to retire a Red Wing, but the loyalty will always be with the team for me.

drama1386
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
bucks fan for life. but i do have some favorite players that I follow, but i'm not necessarily a fan of the team.

gilly
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Followed Sixers originally for AI the first time round, now I follow the team. Follow Utah for Deron.

Stunner
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Bulls team til i die.

macc
06-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I think the majority of people are a fan of the team, with that being said I think with alot/most people it starts with a player who made you a fan of that team. As the player moved on people just stayed with that original team. Obviously theres your people who are fans of the team in their city. Alot of us (including myself) don't have a local NBA team so something has to attract us to a team to begin with that we can start to follow, which in most cases its a particular player.

Shaq made me a Magic fan when I was 9 yrs od. Been a Magic fan ever since.

rick66ankiel24
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
nba is the only league that im a players fan, not team. i love wade, and am a heat fan by association. wherever he goes this offseason is my new favorite team, but he'll stay in miami and bring in at least one superstar so i guess its going to get easier to become a fan of the team.

natelpete
06-07-2010, 06:36 PM
First and foremost a fan of the Wolves... My second favorite team is whoever Lebron is playing for.

ItsTheLastAce
06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Team, fortunately for me my favorite player Kobe is a Laker for life. If Kobe ever left i would still root for him, but i would rep for the Lakers more.

I think the majority of people are a fan of the team, with that being said I think with alot/most people it starts with a player who made you a fan of that team. As the player moved on people just stayed with that original team. Obviously theres your people who are fans of the team in their city. Alot of us (including myself) don't have a local NBA team so something has to attract us to a team to begin with that we can start to follow, which in most cases its a particular player.

Shaq made me a Magic fan when I was 9 yrs od. Been a Magic fan ever since.

Kobe did the same for me.

dolphan
06-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Fan of dolphinssssssssssss
fan of flamesssss
fan of raptorssssssss
fan of jaysssss

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 06:59 PM
fan of the game but i love my knicks and you know we dont lie!

rhino17
06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
It's pretty lame if you are only a fan of a player and not a team

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
^ I do like watching good basketball though players like Gasol-best big man in the league, James best pg in the league its really what he is , Anthony versitile scorer defender when he wants to be, Ginobili-controlled chaos, Kidd-still playing and schooling, Allen deadliest shooter but when they play my knicks they all take a backseat and get booed...

avrpatsfan
06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Of my team.

bigsams50
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Of my team. But for a while there we didnt have a team in Charlotte, so i ended up rooting for the players that i liked.

RadiantShot
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Team. No question about it. Heck, give me Darko Milicic and Drew Gooden back, and I'll still be a fan. Born a Magic fan.

AI4MVP
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
fan of my team FOR SURE!!! bleedding PURPLE AND ORANGE TIL I DIE!!!

but i will follow ricky rubio wherever he goes as well. ill root for him whenever hes not playing against the suns

X12Celtics3
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm definitely a Boston Celtics fan. I don't follow certain players on other teams at all; there are certain players that I like on other teams, but I only watch them when they play the Celtics and don't really care about them at all. My favorite non-Celtic is Al Jefferson, who I love to watch. My favorite player overall is Rajon Rondo.

ugafan
06-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Fan of the Hawks but I hate everybody on the team but Horford :laugh2:

Sixerlover
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Without QUESTION the front of the jersey matters more than the back.

But I do have players around the league who I like to see succeed. Who doesn't?

xabial
06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Fan of the Team. I had to sit last year watching Al Harrington chucking 3's and driving in on 3 people with his head low (And missing if i may add).
GSW now i know how you feel about corey magette!
Knicks Fan Till I Die!

NBAfan4life
06-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I live in MN and honestly I have had trouble being a fan of the wolves. I really started watching Basketball when Shaq and Penny were ripping it up in orlando. Then Shaq goes to La penny sort of disappears and I Mn drafts Garnett out of highschool and he has a great year.

That summer I'm watching the draft and seen that there was this other guy coming out of high school who basically said he would only play for the Lakers. I decided I was going to follow him closely. Been a die hard Laker fan ever since.

In 08 you would think being from MN I would of wanted Garnett to get a ring I could not even watch the last quarter in game 6. I was so pissed it took me a couple months before I ever saw replays of Garnett celebrating.

emman03
06-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Both miami heat and wade fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bishnoff
06-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Team. I've barracked for the Suns since the KJ and Chambers days; not because I have any connection to Phoenix but because I liked the way the team played. Once I choose a team I stick by them, even if they can't win a ring.

Bishnoff
06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Without QUESTION the front of the jersey matters more than the back.

Nice quote :)

fadedmario
06-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Pistons fan first and foremost until I die. I like Kobe Bryant though. I like how he has matured as a player. I used to hate him. If he's playing Detroit I still want the Piston's to win. But if the Piston's are out of contention, I follow Kobe's games. I also like Durant. In my opinion, I think he's got a shot to be better than Lebron.

darwin31
06-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Without a doubt a Laker fan. Actually could not stand Kobe until he turned into the team oriented player he is today.

Great thread topic BTW!

PrettyBoyJ
06-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Fan of my player Kobe.. but Lakers isnt my fav team.. the Suns are.. But Lakers are my number 2

PLAYERS FAN
06-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Players fan all day!

k24springs
06-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Ive been a Magic fan since I was 4 yrs old there were the first team I watched on TV when Shaq, Nick, Penny, Grant, and 3-D were running things then. Hopefully my boy Dwight Howard can work on his offense and lead us to the promise land and bring a "ship" to O-town. Bleed blue and white 4 life. Blue and White Ignite.

SugeKnight
06-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Warriors

Don Starks
06-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Im a knicks fan (and therefore a team fan), but since they have sucked for the past 10 years i tend to root for players from NY (Artest, odom, ben gordon even though he turned into a chucker). Team ball, when done right, makes basketball prb the most beautiful game to watch, theres a reason why they call it poetry in motion.

its interesting though when you compare team ball to star players.

team ball can be the most exciting and unstoppable styles of play, when every player works as a cohesive unit, its almost something that can only be appreciated through the subtle nuances of the game. think about those spurs teams and those pistons teams. everyone says defense won those teams rings, which did have a ton to do with why they won, but it also had a lot to do with the mentality of five guys as one, and the idea that every man had a job and that in order to win everyone had to carry out that job.

the celtics have that mentality, which is why they won in 2008, but i think the lakers picked it up last season, which is why this finals series is going to be intense in my opinion. without the celtics, the lakers wouldnt be as good as they are now.

you really have to throw ego out the door when you play team ball, which is why i think its interesting to see how young teams (like OKC) grow up together, and whether they can maintain that team first mentality. is durant going to make his teammates dependent on him, or is he going to be dependent on the team.

individual ball is nothing to scoff at either, and the idea that one person can break down an entire team by himself, i dont think there is anything like it, but its completely different in why its appreciated. its a test of will, an under dog mentality in these players and that makes us appreciate when Lebron, tears down every defender in front him him, regardless of defensive scheme or how many players guard him, or what coach is on the bench. its one of the most exciting things to watch ray allen drain 8 threes, just because he can, and its crazy to think Kobe or D-Wade, or Carmello can just go on 20 point runs in one quarter because they know, nobody in the world is good enough to stop them that night.

its a beautiful game, and no matter how you like it played, when its done right its more satisfying than watching a home run, or a touchdown drive, or a hockey shoot out. basketball is just....on another level.

cubbybear2290
06-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Gotta be the team especially as a bulls fan. I'm 19 so I remember the last 2 titles pretty vividly and stuck w/ em through the bad year where Jay Williams was supposed to be the next big thing and Ron Artest was getting drunk on hennesee at half time and now I'm thankful my team has the coach I wanted them to hire the first time when they got del negro in Thibodeau and have a rising star in d-rose. Good things come to those who wait I suppose.(then again I'm also a die hard cubs fan)

MaHaRaJaH
06-08-2010, 03:21 AM
I find your lack of faith Disturbing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI8GEidaMMI) for those fans who will only follow where Kobe/Lebron/Wade go.

JordansBulls
06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Now we all know that there is some people that are loyal to there team's, and some that are loyal to there player's. As for me i watched Dwayne Wade grow up playing for the Marquette University. i am loyal to him. where-ever he would have got drafted to i would have been loyal to him. now there is some kobe fans some lakers fans. some lebron fans some cleveland fans... some dwight fan's and some magic fans. admit it are you a fan of the team or a fan of the player ?

If your team has a rich history you should easily be a fan of the team over any one player.

RaiderLakersA's
06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
My favorite team/franchise supersedes any appreciation for any given player.

While I may like some players and continue to follow their careers when they leave (e.g., Charles Woodson, formerly w/The Raiders and who now plays for Green Bay), it doesn't change my allegiance. I want them to do well, just as long as they aren't playing against my team.

fadedmario
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Im a knicks fan (and therefore a team fan), but since they have sucked for the past 10 years i tend to root for players from NY (Artest, odom, ben gordon even though he turned into a chucker). Team ball, when done right, makes basketball prb the most beautiful game to watch, theres a reason why they call it poetry in motion.

its interesting though when you compare team ball to star players.

team ball can be the most exciting and unstoppable styles of play, when every player works as a cohesive unit, its almost something that can only be appreciated through the subtle nuances of the game. think about those spurs teams and those pistons teams. everyone says defense won those teams rings, which did have a ton to do with why they won, but it also had a lot to do with the mentality of five guys as one, and the idea that every man had a job and that in order to win everyone had to carry out that job.

the celtics have that mentality, which is why they won in 2008, but i think the lakers picked it up last season, which is why this finals series is going to be intense in my opinion. without the celtics, the lakers wouldnt be as good as they are now.

you really have to throw ego out the door when you play team ball, which is why i think its interesting to see how young teams (like OKC) grow up together, and whether they can maintain that team first mentality. is durant going to make his teammates dependent on him, or is he going to be dependent on the team.

individual ball is nothing to scoff at either, and the idea that one person can break down an entire team by himself, i dont think there is anything like it, but its completely different in why its appreciated. its a test of will, an under dog mentality in these players and that makes us appreciate when Lebron, tears down every defender in front him him, regardless of defensive scheme or how many players guard him, or what coach is on the bench. its one of the most exciting things to watch ray allen drain 8 threes, just because he can, and its crazy to think Kobe or D-Wade, or Carmello can just go on 20 point runs in one quarter because they know, nobody in the world is good enough to stop them that night.

its a beautiful game, and no matter how you like it played, when its done right its more satisfying than watching a home run, or a touchdown drive, or a hockey shoot out. basketball is just....on another level.

good post :)