PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA need a Quota system?

fairandbalanced
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I would guess that most of you are against any form of quota's, in education, at work or in any public place, I would also guess that despite your feelings about quotas you also understand the need for it in our society. In Sports, we all want the best players for our teams but in doing so we tend to over-look our prejudices mostly based on perceptions and biases. We tend to perceive blacks as more athletic and tough, White players are met with lower expectations and less respected.....not by only blacks but also whites. Historically quotas are put in place to help against biases and perceptions and in this case I would think a quota is needed to help give white basket ball players equal opportunities to prove themselves. Each team should be required to have at least two white players and 2 minority players, this way teams would be willing to give white players opportunities to prove their worth. We've seen in recent years that great White college players like JJ Reddick and Tyler Hansbrough were drafted after black players they have dominated in college. Then after they're drafted into the NBA, they were not given that much playing time or development flexibility. So my question to you is, Should the NBA have some sort of quota that allow for equal development and opportunities for players regardless of race, that takes into account their college success and also ensure that each team have atleast 2players from either minorities or Caucasians.

ohreally
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I think there should be a quota on bone-headed threads. Like this one.

slimsheldon02
06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Your premise for this is all wrong, there needs to be an actually opportunity need with sports the best player plays , a white player gets the same time a black player gets, sometimes more time to develop skills JJ redick sucks for his first few years but since he was a high draft pick he got the time to delovep his skills. I would agree if white players werent givent chances to play but in the NBA the best player plays period.

xbrackattackx
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I would guess that most of you are against any form of quota's, in education, at work or in any public place, I would also guess that despite your feelings about quotas you also understand the need for it in our society. In Sports, we all want the best players for our teams but in doing so we tend to over-look our prejudices mostly based on perceptions and biases. We tend to perceive blacks as more athletic and tough, White players are met with lower expectations and less respected.....not by only blacks but also whites. Historically quotas are put in place to help against biases and perceptions and in this case I would think a quota is needed to help give white basket ball players equal opportunities to prove themselves. Each team should be required to have at least two white players and 2 minority players, this way teams would be willing to give white players opportunities to prove their worth. We've seen in recent years that great White college players like JJ Reddick and Tyler Hansbrough were drafted after black players they have dominated in college. Then after they're drafted into the NBA, they were not given that much playing time or development flexibility. So my question to you is, Should the NBA have some sort of quota that allow for equal development and opportunities for players regardless of race, that takes into account their college success and also ensure that each team have atleast 2players from either minorities or Caucasians.

You are being Racist.

slimsheldon02
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
There are only 12 players on an nba team every player matter on most teams u dont have open spots to have a token white player on teams u take the best players and college doesnt matter because if your any good your leaving college early white or black.

GSW Hoops
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Stupidest thread ever. By far, and on so many levels.

Do you seriously think an NBA coach would go out of his way NOT to play talented guys because of their race? Especially at the rate NBA coaches are getting fired? "Hmmm, I have a really great point guard sitting on the bench, but he's a white kid from North Dakota so he must not be any good. I'd better put in the less-talented black guy instead, because black people are naturally better at throwing a leather ball into a metal rim than white people."

If the NBA had a race/talent problem, we'd never see guys like Yao Ming (Chinese), Omri Casspi (Israeli), Hamed Haddadi (Iranian), Vlade Divac (Serbian), DJ Mbenga (Congolese) or, imagine this, Steve Nash (Canadian) or other foreign-born players of different races in the league. The reason we DO see them is because they're damn good basketball players, and they can help teams win games.

If LeBron James were Vietnamese, Russian, Sudanese or a Caucasian American, he'd be just as good as he is now and would get just as many minutes.

The NBA is a huge business, and teams will sign/play the best, most talented players no matter their race.

KaganRS
06-07-2010, 12:22 PM
He brings up a good point; however,due to the unfair treatment of african- americans for centuries , and that's an understatement, this rule would be met with great backlash.

Not saying it doesn't make sense.

GSW Hoops
06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
He brings up a good point; however,due to the unfair treatment of african- americans for centuries , and that's an understatement, this rule would be met with great backlash.

Not saying it doesn't make sense.

Sports is about production, especially at the professional level. Millions of dollars hang in the balance of each and every NBA game--yes, even Timberwolves vs. Warriors.

This guy sounds like the white kid who doesn't make the basketball team and says to himself, "It must be because I'm white. Look, 5 or 6 black kids made it, and only one white kid made it."

Guess what? You didn't make the team because all those kids are better basketball players than you are. They put in more time than you did and perhaps they're naturally more athletic than you.

Do you honestly believe an NBA scout, whose job depends on finding the best and most talented players, would ignore a talented white player just because he's white? Or that an NBA coach would sit Steve Nash or Dirk at the end of the bench because they're white?

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
How many mexicans per team and are they allowed to play at Phoenix, how many chineese per team. These is a joke of a thread close this bs down...

td0tsfinest
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Is this against the Celtics for having only one white guy?

Matrix3132
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
How many mexicans per team and are they allowed to play at Phoenix, how many chineese per team. These is a joke of a thread close this bs down...

Exactly, someone needs to let the original poster know that there are more races and ethnicities than just black and white.

DodgerBulls
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I think there should be a quota on bone-headed threads. Like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

td0tsfinest
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

we do have this :rimshot:

DodgerBulls
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
we do have this :rimshot:

true but it doesn't have the audio.. so why use it if it doesn't serve the purpose?

Chill_Will_24
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
WTF? Sports is about competing. You dont hand roster spots because of race. Maybe you should get on the hot tub time machine and travel back to the old days when fans spit on negro players and threatened their families. Or when a coach was reproaches and diciplined for starting more than one negro player...