PDA

View Full Version : The NHL finals are way more interesting than the NBA finals!

THE_G.O.A.T.
06-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Its not even a contest which has been the more entertaining series. I feel bad for the NBA, I really think the NHL is going to a bigger and better league in the future. The NBA is on the decline for sure, I think these finals are showing that.

mackworth
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
The NHL finals are going on now?

magichatnumber9
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
hahahahaha

69centers
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Care to post some viewer numbers for both games last night? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the NBA had about 4 times as many viewers.

Sly Guy
06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
they have been far more entertaining. But I find that hockey is the best of all sports in terms of post season vs regular season. Hockey teams load up for the playoffs when the intensity ramps up and completely changes the game making lowly 3rd liners series heroes, or teams that crawled into the playoffs championship contenders a week or two later.

Right now, we have a very dull and predicable NBA. Too many whistles, too many star calls, the same teams, the same old story.

Sly Guy
06-07-2010, 09:42 AM

69centers
06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
they have been far more entertaining. But I find that hockey is the best of all sports in terms of post season vs regular season. Hockey teams load up for the playoffs when the intensity ramps up and completely changes the game making lowly 3rd liners series heroes, or teams that crawled into the playoffs championship contenders a week or two later.

Right now, we have a very dull and predicable NBA. Too many whistles, too many star calls, the same teams, the same old story.

I'm not going to lie, hockey playoffs, end to end, pound for pound, are probably the most exciting playoffs in sports. However, with Celtics vs. Lakers, it just doesn't get much better than that in sports.

king4day
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Almost every cup finals game has been lopsided. That's not interesting. At least yesterday was back and forth with Boston and LA.
And the NHL has had 5 finals games so far while the NBA had 2. How can you make that comparison already?

JordansBulls
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Its not even a contest which has been the more entertaining series. I feel bad for the NBA, I really think the NHL is going to a bigger and better league in the future. The NBA is on the decline for sure, I think these finals are showing that.

well obviously for the blackhawks.
:D

mikantsass
06-07-2010, 09:59 AM
The NHL still plays?

king4day
06-07-2010, 10:00 AM
well obviously for the blackhawks.
:D

Have the experts made a big deal about Hossa being in his 3rd straight cup final with a third team?
And is that a record?

I hope he gets it this year.

td0tsfinest
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Hockey overall has been 10 times better than the nba playoffs but the sad truth is not many people care.

NYKstateOFmind
06-07-2010, 10:06 AM
how can you even start to compare when the nba finals just started?
that just jumping the gun buddy, but i don't watch hockey.

THE_G.O.A.T.
06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
how can you even start to compare when the nba finals just started?
that just jumping the gun buddy, but i don't watch hockey.

Because the NBA is so predictable. The refs run the NBA games and make them very very dull. You should have watched the NHL on Sunday night, instead of that yawn fest that was the NBA. The only thing the NBA has going for them is that the Lakers and Celtics were rivals in the 80's. That, and ESPN covers the NBA to death because ABC (their parent company) broadcasts the games.

xxdc2tegxx
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm a big sports fan in general and born-raised in Chicago but I still havent jumped on the bandwagon yet for the hawjks.. Weird...hockey just do it for me. Even last night I was only watching the hawks when it was commercial for the lakers and celtics game.

FOBolous
06-07-2010, 10:40 AM
i remember when the Houston Hockey team won the championship. nobody in houston cared. same thing when soccer...when the Soccer team in Houston won, nobody cared either. along with our WNBA team...lol

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
The NHL still plays?

Yes :rolleyes:

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
i remember when the Houston Hockey team won the championship. nobody in houston cared. same thing when soccer...when the Soccer team in Houston won, nobody cared either. along with our WNBA team...lol

Not quite sure if this is true, but it seems a Texas highschool football team draws more attendance than the Dallas Stars.

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm a big sports fan in general and born-raised in Chicago but I still havent jumped on the bandwagon yet for the hawjks.. Weird...hockey just do it for me. Even last night I was only watching the hawks when it was commercial for the lakers and celtics game.

Chicago finds your lack of faith disturbing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI8GEidaMMI)

JordansBulls
06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Have the experts made a big deal about Hossa being in his 3rd straight cup final with a third team?
And is that a record?

I don't even know who he is nor who he plays for.:(

phi2134
06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I am a big fan of all of Chicago sports, but I definitely think the NBA has turned into a joke when it comes to being a professional sports league. I feel that the NHL is a much more pure, exciting and emotional sport and it never gets enough credit that it deserves. It bugs me a lot that even before the NBA finals started, they were putting the previews of the NBA finals before going over games 1-3 of the NHL finals which had already started. Granted the NBA has a much bigger fan base because of the access to the game and demographics, but I feel the NHL is due a lot more credit. The NBA is just a bunch of money hungry young kids who can jump really high, the game has gone down hill a lot. 3 of the 5 games in the NHL playoffs have been decided by one goal, one going into overtime and it still doesn't get enough credit. The NBA is the same old stuff every year, more Kobe, more Lebron and more hype...

AK-50
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
agreed

NHL Finals > NBA Finals this year

DaBUU
06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I am a big fan of all of Chicago sports, but I definitely think the NBA has turned into a joke when it comes to being a professional sports league. I feel that the NHL is a much more pure, exciting and emotional sport and it never gets enough credit that it deserves. It bugs me a lot that even before the NBA finals started, they were putting the previews of the NBA finals before going over games 1-3 of the NHL finals which had already started. Granted the NBA has a much bigger fan base because of the access to the game and demographics, but I feel the NHL is due a lot more credit. The NBA is just a bunch of money hungry young kids who can jump really high, the game has gone down hill a lot. 3 of the 5 games in the NHL playoffs have been decided by one goal, one going into overtime and it still doesn't get enough credit. The NBA is the same old stuff every year, more Kobe, more Lebron and more hype...

Thats a huge generalization, the NBA probably has the most talented athletes in all of sports, im sure will argue that with me. Just because maybe you dont understand basketball, doesnt mean the game isnt as good as its ever been, cuz it is. Currently the NBA is as good as its been since the Jordan era. I love the Hawks and been watching all playoffs, but lets be real they're still the 4th team in Chicago. And when Lebron finally makes it official, this city is going to a Bulls city again like the 90's. GO HAWKS!

effen5
06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I actually jsut got into hockey this year and the NHL playoffs in general >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA playoffs.

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Almost every cup finals game has been lopsided. That's not interesting. At least yesterday was back and forth with Boston and LA.
And the NHL has had 5 finals games so far while the NBA had 2. How can you make that comparison already?

hahaha. Have you even seen any of the scores. Games 1,2,3 were all decided by ONE goal, with one game going to overtime. Game 4 was decided by 2 goals, and last night's game was decided by three goals. If has been far from lopsided. :facepalm:

AK-50
06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Chicago finds your lack of faith disturbing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI8GEidaMMI)

lmao almost every thread i see you in you have that video

More-Than-Most
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
hahaha. Have you even seen any of the scores. Games 1,2,3 were all decided by ONE goal, with one game going to overtime. Game 4 was decided by 2 goals, and last night's game was decided by three goals. If has been far from lopsided. :facepalm:

and last nights 3 goal was basically a 2 goal lead with 2 and a half minutes left with each team scoring left and right back to back. The pace this series has been on is amazing.

miller74
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Care to post some viewer numbers for both games last night? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the NBA had about 4 times as many viewers.

Thats not what hes saying because alot of Americans will not watch NHL regardless of whats more entertaining

AK-50
06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
plus it dosnt hurt that the same teams from 2 years ago arent in the finals :rolleyes:

MG3
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
The nba sucks...they take three day breaks in between games in which there's no travel involved. It's really sad when the sport you're defending is more interested in a guy who is sitting at home figuring out where he's going to play next year than it is the actual finals. NHL >>>>>>> NBA.

And by the way the best player in the playoffs in hockey is black. Just to throw out the whole racist comment.

Oefarmy2005
06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I call shananogens on that. The NHL have two teams that most people couldn't care less about, while the NBA has the Celtics-Lakers rivalry revived. I am surprised that this comes after last night's game, which was very memorable.

AK-50
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I call shananogens on that. The NHL have two teams that most people couldn't care less about, while the NBA has the Celtics-Lakers rivalry revived. I am surprised that this comes after last night's game, which was very memorable.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Flyers always had crazy fans and chicago blackhawks fans are loving their young team and all or most their home games have been sellouts and both teams this series at home their fans have been amazing watch a game before saying something stupid like that:facepalm:

awmathewsjr
06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

This is the worst thread this year.
Only about 25% of the country even knew the NHL finals were going on.
Only about 10% of the country can tell you who's playing in it.
And only about 1% of the country cares about the outcome.
NHL Fans please stop trying to act like your sport is relevant in US society

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Nba playoffs or Nhl ill go with what is lebron up to? lmao

Sly Guy
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
You're right, I should have mentioned that the NHL is 97% white. All I was saying is that White folks watch hockey because it's a white sport.....just look how the NBA lost a lot of white fans (because there are too many Negros). You're more likely to hear a white folk call NBA players thugs, arrogant, overpaid.....but the same folks won't say those things about hockey players (despite fights every game) and how they're no different than NBA players in their actions off-court.

in hockey, they're called goons. And yes, they are called goons a lot.

Really though, playing the race card on hockey? Com'on. The NBA is just as black as the NHL is white. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

MG3
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM

The only reason anyone cares about the nba is because of espn. If it wasn't for espn no one would care. You're judging this as if it's a popularity contest. NHL fans (myself included) know we're outnumbered. But the nhl series are always more entertaining. Name the last seven seed to make the nba finals? Name the last time a 7 and an 8 seed played in the conference finals.

RipVW
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Just because more people follow basketball doesnt mean its more interesting. Hockey is a regional sport.

But aside from that, I dont have the exact numbers but I heard the Stanley Cup has been getting 4.5 Nielsen ratings. I think the 08 NBA finals (with the same teams) was a 9.

Rangers in 7
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
i watch both sports, but lets be honest...those who dont watch hockey are truly missing out on a great sport....for all those who ask wow is hockey really on!??! you are just plain stupid....i have nothing against basketball except for the fact that it can become extremely boring...hockey is the fastest and most exciting sport to watch, especially in the playoffs....playoff hockey is far more superior in every aspect except for the fact that most people just dont watch and its unfortunate

although basketball is a great sport it can not touch hockey when it comes to most aspects that catch viewers attention

xbrackattackx
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
You're right, I should have mentioned that the NHL is 97% white. All I was saying is that White folks watch hockey because it's a white sport.....just look how the NBA lost a lot of white fans (because there are too many Negros). You're more likely to hear a white folk call NBA players thugs, arrogant, overpaid.....but the same folks won't say those things about hockey players (despite fights every game) and how they're no different than NBA players in their actions off-court.

You are a Idiot. I've been watching NBA just like everyone else since the 80's and because I'm white and majority of NBA players are mostly black I'm not gonna watch? That makes no sense.

And the only player called "Thugs" are carrying guns to the arena, Puffing on the Ganja and Getting DUI's and you wanna say they are wrongfully accused? Lemme guess someone planted guns on West and Arenas right. You don't wanna get called Hood, Don't do hood things.

Please hurry and get banned permanently <33

Team*Chicago
06-07-2010, 12:10 PM
The NBA is quite predictable making it a more boring sport than NHL. We knew the Lakers were going to the Final which perfectly expected but we didn't think the Flyers was going to make it to Stanely Cup Finals which was randomly unpredictable and unexpected.

It's because people in Houston don't care about sports even when their team is winning and making it to the championship. They didn't give a -amn when the Astros made it to the World Series against the White Sox.:D

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

6-5 in game 1
2-1 in game 2
3-4 in game 3
3-5 in game 4(5th goal was an empty net goal)

Ya, hugely lopsided.

Last night's game was extremely intense.

Die-hard Red Wings fan and I've seen all 5 games. But I watch the Stanley Cup every year.

Hockey is the best playoffs, players play injured, play intense, and play with a lot of heart.

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
And is that a record?

Why would anyone want a cup chaser like Hossa to win a Cup?

I go to different team last 3 years and try win cup. But last 2 years I no win cup, it sad day for Marian Hossa.

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I hate agreeing with bulls fans but you are right...

phi2134
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Jordan was at last night's hawk's game....enough said....

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

QFT.

Even Jordan would rather watch the cup more than the NBA Finals. But Jordan also knows that the NBA is now rigged.

phi2134
06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Thats a huge generalization, the NBA probably has the most talented athletes in all of sports, im sure will argue that with me. Just because maybe you dont understand basketball, doesnt mean the game isnt as good as its ever been, cuz it is. Currently the NBA is as good as its been since the Jordan era. I love the Hawks and been watching all playoffs, but lets be real they're still the 4th team in Chicago. And when Lebron finally makes it official, this city is going to a Bulls city again like the 90's. GO HAWKS!

I think I know basketball pretty well and I don't enjoy it at all anymore, the NBA is all about athleticism, yes they might be the best athletes around, but they are by far not the best pure basketball players...And as far as the hawks being the fourth team in the city...I am not sure where you live, but baseball isn't even mentioned anymore and the bears are a constant disappointment. The hawks are the toast of the city and they will be for a long time after this.

Goalie31
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I love both sports, Ive played both competitively for years. Ive watched both of them religiously. But i have to say that Hockey is one of the most exciting sports to watch or play. For those of you bashing hockey, playing the stupid card and saying "the cups on?" "hockey's boring." If you have ever watched a game. THE WHOLE GAME. and actually watched it with an open mind and not just with the stuck up attitude of "this is a such a stupid and boring sport" then you might have your eyes opened and actually ENJOY it. It's like trying a new food, you hate it till you try it, then when you try it and love it, you feel like an idiot. But instead of bashing the Sport without watching it how about Watching a game or two, then come back and give your comment. You may love it and and you may still hate it. But dont just bash the sport without actually watching a game.

Mudvayne91
06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Of course the NHL is more interesting. The NBA thanks to David Stern and his lackies is rather lame and very predictable. Can't believe I'm actually saying this, but Betman, you're doing pretty damn well considering.

6-5 in game 1

Die-hard Red Wings fan and I've seen all 5 games. But I watch the Stanley Cup every year.

Me too, I thought they were gonna take the Sharks out, but I was sadly mistaken. Are you going for the Blackhawks cause of the Central ties or are you rooting for Philly because of that? I don't really like both, but I hate a lot of Pennsylvania teams if not all, so I'm reluctantly cheering for the Hawks.

JordansBulls
06-07-2010, 12:36 PM

He was.
:speechless:

Goalie31
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
He was.
:speechless:

In a private box with a Jonathan Towes Jersey, his daughter was also there wearing a jersey.

nycsports2
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM

while i agree the nhl finals have been great..... theres actually been a game that wasnt on regular tv lmao you a bafoon and a tool for saying this the nhl's ownership and management sucks there entire marketing scheme is terrible..... hire me nhl plz bc i will make your sport popular agin or at least do a better job then the losers in your office that you pay

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Of course the NHL is more interesting. The NBA thanks to David Stern and his lackies is rather lame and very predictable. Can't believe I'm actually saying this, but Betman, you're doing pretty damn well considering.

Me too, I thought they were gonna take the Sharks out, but I was sadly mistaken. Are you going for the Blackhawks cause of the Central ties or are you rooting for Philly because of that? I don't really like both, but I hate a lot of Pennsylvania teams if not all, so I'm reluctantly cheering for the Hawks.

I don't care who wins, if the Blackhawks win though, I'm gonna get **** for the next year from all of the 2-year Hawks fans I know. And that pisses me off because I get **** for just watching the games with them, even though my team is the epitome of greatness for the last 20+years.
I'm really indifferent though, I hate other teams more than the Blackhawks, but that's cuz the Hawks have sucked my whole life and I didn't have to worry about them...... until now.

Wilson
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I prefer basketball to hockey, but there's no doubt that hockey's play-offs are better. In hockey you see the players get twice (or three times) as amped up as during the season for every team. In the NBA you see that too, but the refs also become obsessed with swaying the game the way they want.

The NHL's play-offs are decided by the players and coaches, and no-one else. You can't say the same thing about the NBA, we haven't been able to for the last ten years or so.

D-Mac313
06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Ahahahahahaha:D

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
LOL I think Game 3 wasn't even on natioanl tv....it was on versus.

Mplsman
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Fail.

MG3
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
LOL I think Game 3 wasn't even on natioanl tv....it was on versus.

Yeah it was on versus? Meaning your point is? I bet if the Lakers weren't in the finals you wouldn't watch. You wouldn't care. I'm watching the nhl finals even though I hate both teams. I'd love to see Kobe tap on the coaches after scoring a goal in hockey. He'd have more to complain about than just his finger.

td0tsfinest
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
plus it dosnt hurt that the same teams from 2 years ago arent in the finals :rolleyes:

That was the case last year but it turned to be a good series nonetheless.

JNA17
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
the only thing i know about hockey is that canadians are good at it.

I mean come on i know more about rugby then hockey lol.

Southsideheat
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Both have been entertaining, both have shown us that it doesn't take one player to win, both are showing the best in the world at what they do, and that to me is what its all about.

Caps1989
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Well hello cant agree more. Hockey and the NHL are just a better product period!

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah it was on versus? Meaning your point is? I bet if the Lakers weren't in the finals you wouldn't watch. You wouldn't care. I'm watching the nhl finals even though I hate both teams. I'd love to see Kobe tap on the coaches after scoring a goal in hockey. He'd have more to complain about than just his finger.

LOL my point is that its pathetic that the stanley cup FINALS is not even on national TV. Mostly every sport whether its the World Series, NBA finals, or superbowl is always nationally televised and NHL is not LOL. It kinds tells you something huh.

And depending who is in the finals would determine me if I watch. Usually I do, but if its teams like the Spurs and Cavs I probably would tune in and out.

Mudvayne91
06-07-2010, 01:06 PM
At least the NHL doesn't let its refs or commissioner determine who plays in the finals. As much as I like the NBA (or at least use to) it really doesn't seem too different from the WWE.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I am a fan of both sports but excuse me for wanting to watch real intensity and passion for the game rather than some bit**fest. You have players being cut by sticks only to come back a few minutes later and play (Briere). I am not a fan of his, but Pronger got put on his ***** twice by Big Buff, and still got up to play another decent game. Pierce and Kobe get touched by fingertips and whine more than 3 year olds.

To use the Celtics-Lakers rivalry as an excuse to watch the game is dumb. The whole Celtics-Lakers rivalry is overrated in today's game. The officiating is just plain absurd. You are not allowed to play real, physical defense and I am positive Magic vs Bird is greater than Kobe vs Pierce.

NHL Stanley Cup >>>>>>> NBA Finals

Rangers in 7
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
the only bad point for the NHL is that they signed versus to broadcast the game....if they could get a deal like the nba got with TNT then you would see hockey become much more of a popular sport...VERSUS is the only thing holding the NHL from being a top 3 sport

The ChILL
06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Different strokes for different folks I suppose. If you haven't checked out a playoff hockey game yet you really are missing out.

Also, why are the NBA and NHL fans butting heads about which is more entertaining? Just team up on the MLB which is easily the most boring professional sport in the U.S.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 01:21 PM
LOL my point is that its pathetic that the stantly cup FINALS is not even on national TV. Mostly every sport whether its the World Series, NBA finals, or superbowl is always nationally televised and NHL is not LOL. It kinds tells you something huh.

And depending who is in the finals would determine me if I watch. Usually I do, but if its teams like the Spurs and Cavs I probably would tune in and out.

LOL you can't spell. LOL. I didn't know "the World Series, NBA finals, or superbowl" is a sport LOL. Oh yes, NBC is not nationally televised LOL. Sorry for the NHL attempting to try new things LOL.

LOL. Everything i write ends in LOL, because it is just a LOL moment. LOL.

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I am a fan of both sports but excuse me for wanting to watch real intensity and passion for the game rather than some bit**fest. You have players being cut by sticks only to come back a few minutes later and play (Briere). I am not a fan of his, but Pronger got put on his ***** twice by Big Buff, and still got up to play another decent game. Pierce and Kobe get touched by fingertips and whine more than 3 year olds.

To use the Celtics-Lakers rivalry as an excuse to watch the game is dumb. The whole Celtics-Lakers rivalry is overrated in today's game. The officiating is just plain absurd. You are not allowed to play real, physical defense and I am positive Magic vs Bird is greater than Kobe vs Pierce.

NHL Stanley Cup >>>>>>> NBA Finals

If that is the case then why is the NBA finals being nationally televised and not the stanley cup?

Rangers in 7
Different strokes for different folks I suppose. If you haven't checked out a playoff hockey game yet you really are missing out.

Also, why are the NBA and NHL fans butting heads about which is more entertaining? Just team up on the MLB which is easily the most boring professional sport in the U.S.

hahahha im a huge baseball fan but couldnt agree with you more...its like watching the grass grow..i love playing it but watching it not so much.....i say this even though i try to watch as may met games as i can...however if i had to pick between the two or three hockey would come first every time, no matter who is on it really doesnt matter, the sport is just great

adidas2307

+1. Baseball is awful.

Rangers in 7
06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
If that is the case then why is the NBA finals being nationally televised and not the stanley cup?

thats a dumb comment because out of the 5 games i believe only 1 wasnt nationally televised....unless you dont get nbc...but im pretty sure u dooo, stupid comment

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
LOL you can't spell. LOL. I didn't know "the World Series, NBA finals, or superbowl" is a sport LOL. Oh yes, NBC is not nationally televised LOL. Sorry for the NHL attempting to try new things LOL.

LOL. Everything i write ends in LOL, because it is just a LOL moment. LOL.

LOL sorry, I didn't know you were my english teacher.

I believe it was game 3 that was not on NBC. I checked on espn to see the time and channel and I notice it was on versus and gave me a chuckle. Its the stanley cup finals, and its not even nationally televised. In fact mostly all the playoff series in hocky is not nationally televised.

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
thats a dumb comment because out of the 5 games i believe only 1 wasnt nationally televised....unless you dont get nbc...but im pretty sure u dooo, stupid comment

How is it a dumb comment? Its the stanley cup finals! The biggest stage in hockey. Even if it was for one game. Every game should be on NBC.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Maybe it's because the NBA Finals are always nationally televised? Besides, there were only 2 games on Versus. The rest are on NBC, a nationally televised station. Versus and the NHL have a deal so it was kind of necessary for a couple of the finals games to be on Versus.
However, you could go to some sort of bar or restaurant and get together to watch the game on Versus. Nothing more exciting than a building full of people enjoying and cheering alongside you.
I lost faith in the NBA Finals ever since the Lakers-Kings 2003 Western Conference Finals.

ink
06-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Maybe because the NHL finals are happening in Chicago they're more interesting to you, but these basketball finals are great. Personally I think both finals are some of the best in years.

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 01:29 PM
All we have to do is check the ratings for both the NBA finals and the stanley cup

igPay atinLay
06-07-2010, 01:33 PM
The entire NHL playoffs have been great....Pronger has been amazing and the Finals have been some of the best hockey I've seen in a long time

igPay atinLay
06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
All we have to do is check the ratings for both the NBA finals and the stanley cup

The NBA is a more popular sport it does not mean more interesting. Interesting is an opinion and ratings is a stat. Of course NBA ratings are higher it doesn't mean the playoffs or finals have been as close to as interesting as the NHL.

The ChILL
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM

I think the thread is asking which has been more exciting. I don't think anyone doubts that the NBA has higher ratings, but you shouldn't dismiss hockey so quickly. If they can get a good marketing campaign going the professional sports landscape could be very different in the future.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 01:38 PM

World Cup ratings are the highest in the world, but you will be the first to say "Oh, soccer sucks, so it doesn't matter." You can't use TV ratings because it's just a popularity contest. High school all over again...

sean17c
06-07-2010, 01:47 PM
well I can say that i have not watched any series. i really dont care about the nba finals. its the same dam teams every year.

Mudvayne91
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
World Cup ratings are the highest in the world, but you will be the first to say "Oh, soccer sucks, so it doesn't matter." You can't use TV ratings because it's just a popularity contest. High school all over again...

Haha, well put. On a off note I can't wait for the World Cup. Just hope us Yanks play better than they looked with these friendlies.

E.O.21
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I have seriously tried to watch Hockey but it only hurts my brain. How can people keep up with the damn puck

Anyways
NBA FINALS>>>>>>>> HOCKEY
WORLD CUP>>>>>>>>>>> ANYTHING ELSE

RipVW
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
the only bad point for the NHL is that they signed versus to broadcast the game....if they could get a deal like the nba got with TNT then you would see hockey become much more of a popular sport...VERSUS is the only thing holding the NHL from being a top 3 sport

The thing about Versus is though, their production quality is better than it ever was when it was on ESPN. They do it more justice than a lot of networks do/have.

Da Knicks
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes sir and that is why more people are interested in the Lebronathon he puts up a better sitcom. This is reality tv and hockey needs to learn how to put more news and hype to the sport. Lebron has made b-ball relevant by himself you either love him or hate him but you will watch all he needs is a bigger stage N.Y., Chicago, Miami? Look at soccer all over the world that is what the nba is trying to get too how many people watch soccer in the U.S.? not many american football is too big but how big is it all over the world. hmmm Basketball is trying to reach the bigger stage and can if Lebron goes global, sorry that is the only way. Hockey needs to take notes of the business side of things...

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Haha, well put. On a off note I can't wait for the World Cup. Just hope us Yanks play better than they looked with these friendlies.

This year's World Cup shall be a great one. I am not from the U.S., however I would not mind seeing them advance past the group stage. If only Poland didn't blow during qualifications haha.

igPay atinLay
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I have seriously tried to watch Hockey but it only hurts my brain. How can people keep up with the damn puck

Anyways

If you try to watch the puck that will happen at least if your not used to watching hockey.

I suggest watching the players and they'll help you follow the puck. After you learn the game and get used to watching the players you'll automatically follow the action better, but you'll never always know where the puck is, not even goalies always no where the puck is.

One other thing you'll notice watching hockey is that players move into positions to make a play when they don't have the puck, kind of like they will in the World Cup you have mentioned above, and they will get a nice precision pass if their teammate is able to get a slight crease, even if between someone's legs or under their stick.

E.O.21
06-07-2010, 02:00 PM
If you try to watch the puck that will happen at least if your not used to watching hockey.

I suggest watching the players and they'll help you follow the puck. After you learn the game and get used to watching the players you'll automatically follow the action better, but you'll never always know where the puck is, not even goalies always no where the puck is.

One other thing you'll notice watching hockey is that players move into positions to make a play when they don't have the puck, kind of like they will in the World Cup you have mentioned above, and they will get a nice precision pass if their teammate is able to get a slight crease, even if between someone's legs or under their stick.

I do love the phisicality but when they score im like ????
But yea I see what your saying

D Roses Bulls
06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

i agree, its ay more interesting and fun to watch. the lakers and celtics ugh.....

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Link??? Oh yes it is only your arrogant opinion.

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
lmao almost every thread i see you in you have that video

because their lack of faith is disturbing lol

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
"This is the worst thread this year.
NHL Fans please stop trying to act like your sport is relevant in US society"

90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

DaBears33
06-07-2010, 02:23 PM
NHL playoffs are much better than NBA playoffs. Go ask Michael Jordan he picked going to the NHL playoffs game rather than watching or going to the NBA game. Exact same time and he chose a sport he has no background in. I didn't see Wayne Gretzky at the Lakers game last night. That game last night was a joke. If the refs can get their whistles out of their mouths' and the players can grow some balls then I might watch it. But until then I will be watching a real mans sport: Hockey.

drewbius416
06-07-2010, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueywqUBW3oM
Your american-centric arrogance offends all sports fans everywhere.. The Blackhawks are one of the leagues up and coming teams, along with being an original 6 team, and Philly? The flyers are #2 in that town to the Phillies and Philly is a big, and quality sports town. Don't post what you don't know about.

avrpatsfan
06-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Who watches hockey?

slapnutz69
06-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Anyways

your kidding right?

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Never really got into the NBA, but would read the posts on here to keep up wiht what was going on. I couldn't believe it when I heard that the Suns were being given the calls in game 3 of the WCF, because Stern wanted the series to last longer. They way people were talking about it on here makes it seem like a regular occurrence. This would bother me as a fan.

Personally, I believe the comparison isn't even close. I caught the first bit of game 1 of the NBA finals, which I understand is a very small sample size, but would take hockey any day. The speed unmatched by the NBA. The thing I hate a bout the NBA is the last minute of the half and the end of the game takes sooooo long because of all the timeouts. It really makes me lose interest.

tbone2171
06-07-2010, 02:32 PM

:facepalm:fail

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Who watches hockey?

Who watches grass grow? Oh wait, I mean baseball.

The ChILL
06-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Who watches grass grow? Oh wait, I mean baseball.

Boom. Roasted.

heyman321
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Oddy enough growing up in Toronto, hockey has never really been big for me. I don't know how you could be watching yesterday's hockey over yesterday's basketball game. Ray Allen and Rondo were putting on a clinic, and the game was always close.

Meanwhile, I did watch hockey at the same time, switching thru the channels. So hawks score 3 goals in the first period. You know they're going to win already, a 3 goal lead in hockey is a HUGE advantage and likely not going to be caught up to. After that, it was super boring IMO. Philly just trying to catch up with Leighton sucking. Hockey has too many droughts of not scoring which really wanes my interest.

I always argue to my friends that hockey needs that giant horn going off at a goal just to get everyone excited hahaha, or they'd just be in their seats.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Oddy enough growing up in Toronto, hockey has never really been big for me. I don't know how you could be watching yesterday's hockey over yesterday's basketball game. Ray Allen and Rondo were putting on a clinic, and the game was always close.

Meanwhile, I did watch hockey at the same time, switching thru the channels. So hawks score 3 goals in the first period. You know they're going to win already, a 3 goal lead in hockey is a HUGE advantage and likely not going to be caught up to. After that, it was super boring IMO. Philly just trying to catch up with Leighton sucking. Hockey has too many droughts of not scoring which really wanes my interest.

I always argue to my friends that hockey needs that giant horn going off at a goal just to get everyone excited hahaha, or they'd just be in their seats.

I don't know how you could be watching grown men whining like babies over the hockey game. I like basketball, I really do, but I have a huge problem with the Lakers and Celtics and their constant crying.

Are you kidding me? a 3 goal lead in hockey is like a 15 point lead in basketball. Not as HUGE as you say it is. Teams can take leads in hockey just as easy as they give them up. Leighton only played in the first period, buddy. Boucher played the second and third.

Not as funny as you think it is. You'd be surprised how much you would get up out of your seat if you're really a fan of the sport.

igPay atinLay
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Game 7 against the Bruins the Flyers where down 3 goals and won.

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't know how you could be watching grown men whining like babies over the hockey game. I like basketball, I really do, but I have a huge problem with the Lakers and Celtics and their constant crying.

Are you kidding me? a 3 goal lead in hockey is like a 15 point lead in basketball. Not as HUGE as you say it is. Teams can take leads in hockey just as easy as they give them up. Leighton only played in the first period, buddy. Boucher played the second and third.

Not as funny as you think it is. You'd be surprised how much you would get up out of your seat if you're really a fan of the sport.

I get a kick out of basketball players and all of the slapping and what not after a play. Also when a player drives to the net and gets touched, it almost seems like he is getting shot.

A three goal lead is especially not a big lead in this series with these two goalies playing.

This was by far the best part of the game last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wchH7xL4tdE&feature=related

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Do people still play/watch hockey?

akay47
06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Hockey is amazing, number 1 sport.. Then football, then basketball and then baseball.. I watch all 4..

But then again, I live in Canada, so the hockey being the number 1 spot in my opinion, is kind of homerish.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM

You're about 7 pages late on the whole "THEY STILL PLAY HOCKEY?!?"
You are a comedian sir.
Not surprising seeing as how it's a delusional Knicks fan.

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Apparently they do still watch and play it, if we are talking about it.

Your attempt at humor failed miserably. Can't even give you a "nice try".

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Did you know there is a world outside oh Manhattan :rolleyes:

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Hockey is amazing, number 1 sport.. Then football, then basketball and then baseball.. I watch all 4..

But then again, I live in Canada, so the hockey being the number 1 spot in my opinion, is kind of homerish.

You have baseball as a number 4 sport ahead of soccer?

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
For all you haters the NHL is on the rise.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=531177

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
You're about 7 pages late on the whole "THEY STILL PLAY HOCKEY?!?"
You are a comedian sir.
Not surprising seeing as how it's a delusional Knicks fan.

Most people who watch this "sport" are either from Canada or don't have any athletic ability.

I live in New York City, USA. Hockey better than the NBA? :facepalm:

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Most people who watch this "sport" are either from Canada or don't have any athletic ability.

Yea, I take back my other post.

Dumbest post ever.

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Arrogance at its finest. Its all a matter of opinion, but the way you disregard hockey as a "sport" really shows your ineptitude. Take a second and watch hockey, or better yet try lacing up a pair of skates and throwing a body check, or taking a slap shot, and maybe then you will respect these men.

How many basketball players get root canals. at half time.

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

Dumbest post ever.

:facepalm: Dumbest name ever. mahahahahahahahah

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Arrogance at its finest. Its all a matter of opinion, but the way you disregard hockey as a "sport" really shows your ineptitude. Take a second and watch hockey, or better yet try lacing up a pair of skates and throwing a body check, or taking a slap shot, and maybe then you will respect these men.

I'm sure any lady figure skater could compete in your "sport" with men but can the same be said about a woman playing basketball?

...and the men loose their teeth in the name of "competition" ? lmao.

Sly Guy
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I prefer basketball, but hockey in in my veins as a canadian. The way I see it, they are very different sports and it takes a bit of an open mind learning to watch one or the other:

basketball is a typical americanized sport. And when I say that, I've noticed a trend in the most popular american sports is that every aspect of the game is coached and scouted. Specific plays, defenses, and matchups dominate how you watch a game. There are relevant timeouts and breaks in the play. Coaches have a great deal more control of what goes on on the court.

Personally, what I like best about it is the scoring. Because scoring happens like 45% of the time, it's the sport with the best reflection on how a team is playing. The team that plays best generally wins by virtue of the fact that over the number of possessions the entire game, the team playing best will put more points in.

Hockey, on the other hand is a more free flowing, international sport. Closer to rugby or soccer, there are fewer breaks in play, scoring is more infrequent, coaches cannot dictate 'plays' as basketball or football would know it. But because the scoring is so much less frequent, the best team doesn't always win. A lucky bounce here, or running into a hot goaltender there can rob a superior team of victory, and this can lead to more excitement, or a dissatisfaction with the game as the play doesn't always present you with an outcome of 'the better team won'.

But all of that can be swept aside in any sport when bad officiating is present. Bad officiating in hockey means you've gotta kill more penalties, but the onus is still on the other team to score. Bad officiating in basketball results in possessions or free points. So as it stands now in basketball, the sport where the need for better officiating than average, the officiating is falling short, and the game is becoming less interesting as a result.

my $0.02

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Dude.. let it go

:facepalm: Dumbest name ever. mahahahahahahahah

^^ See what I mean lol

Kenny Powders
06-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm sure any lady figure skater could compete in your "sport" with men but can the same be said about a woman playing basketball?

Trying to bait me are you. Yes women could play basketball because basketball players excel at slapping each other, while hockey players, who are real men btw, are allowed to make body contact without someone pleading with the ref.

Basketball can be linked with sports entertainment more than it can be linked to
a sport.

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I prefer basketball, but hockey in in my veins as a canadian. The way I see it, they are very different sports and it takes a bit of an open mind learning to watch one or the other:

basketball is a typical americanized sport. And when I say that, I've noticed a trend in the most popular american sports is that every aspect of the game is coached and scouted. Specific plays, defenses, and matchups dominate how you watch a game. There are relevant timeouts and breaks in the play. Coaches have a great deal more control of what goes on on the court.

Personally, what I like best about it is the scoring. Because scoring happens like 45% of the time, it's the sport with the best reflection on how a team is playing. The team that plays best generally wins by virtue of the fact that over the number of possessions the entire game, the team playing best will put more points in.

Hockey, on the other hand is a more free flowing, international sport. Closer to rugby or soccer, there are fewer breaks in play, scoring is more infrequent, coaches cannot dictate 'plays' as basketball or football would know it. But because the scoring is so much less frequent, the best team doesn't always win. A lucky bounce here, or running into a hot goaltender there can rob a superior team of victory, and this can lead to more excitement, or a dissatisfaction with the game as the play doesn't always present you with an outcome of 'the better team won'.

But all of that can be swept aside in any sport when bad officiating is present. Bad officiating in hockey means you've gotta kill more penalties, but the onus is still on the other team to score. Bad officiating in basketball results in possessions or free points. So as it stands now in basketball, the sport where the need for better officiating than average, the officiating is falling short, and the game is becoming less interesting as a result.

my $0.02

Too bad very, very select few understand this. They still throw mud at each other "my sport is better!" "no, MY sport is better!"

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Dumbest post ever.

:facepalm:

We're talking about Hockey in an NBA forum. DUMBEST THREAD EVER.

Mahawhatnow?

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Trying to bait me are you. Yes women could play basketball because basketball players excel at slapping each other, while hockey players, who are real men btw, are allowed to make body contact without someone pleading with the ref.

Basketball can be linked with sports entertainment more than it can be linked to
a sport.

bait caught

DaBUU
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
why is this even an argument? Why cant you appreciate both Finals going on and like both sports, stupid thread.

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:35 PM

a sport.

You mean the "real men" who were crying that someone took their precious puck at the end of the game? :facepalm:

Why are we talking about Hockey in an NBA thread anyway? Isn't there a Canada/Russian missing teeth thread out here somewhere?

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 04:36 PM

If you knew anything you'd know that Versus is pretty much owned by the NHL.

Ignorant *** mother ****ers who know nothing of the obviously better sport.

How many fouls have been called in the last 2 games? Averaged out to more than 1 per minute?

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:36 PM
:facepalm:

We're talking about Hockey in an NBA forum. DUMBEST THREAD EVER.

Mahawhatnow?
Lol, again?

why is this even an argument? Why cant you appreciate both Finals going on and like both sports, stupid thread.
Because people who don't appreciate sports simply cannot understand.

TheDetroitBlue
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Lets not lie to ourselves here

The fact is I bet most people who diss hockey or put it down were watching the Gold Medal Game between Canada and the US this year.

I bet most of the doubters jumped out of there seats when Zach Parise scored with a few seconds left

Finally, Im going to bet that most of those people would brag about it if the United States won.

So please, dont pretend like you've never heard of hockey

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:41 PM
The NHL finals (is the NHL still playing? ) are way more interesting than the NBA finals (with Kobe, Kg, Ray allen and Rondo) ? No.

The ONLY thing exciting about the NHL is hearing Barry Melrose talk about it.

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 04:41 PM

You are one of the dumbest people I have ever had the displeasure to argue with ever.

Playoff Hockey = play with a torn ACL

Playoff Basketball = I can't play, I have a broken pinki.

Watching over 100 fouls called in less than 100 mins is whats boring.

adidas2307
06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
The NHL finals (is the NHL still playing? ) are way more interesting than the NBA finals (with Kobe, Kg, Ray allen and Rondo) ? No.

The ONLY thing exciting about the NHL is hearing Barry Melrose talk about it.

NBA Finals with who? ( a rapist, ungrateful bi***, eh i have no idea, and look at me! i can't wear a headband the right way)?
Vs
NHL Stanley Cup ( Toews, Kane, Byfuglien, Bolland, Niemi, Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Briere, Hartnell, Leighton, Carle, Richards, Pronger, Gagne, Leino)

No contest.

MaHaRaJaH
06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
NBA Finals with who? ( a rapist, ungrateful bi***, eh i have no idea, and look at me! i can't wear a headband the right way)?
Vs
NHL Stanley Cup ( Toews, Kane, Byfuglien, Bolland, Niemi, Sharp, Hossa, Versteeg, Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Briere, Hartnell, Leighton, Carle, Richards, Pronger, Gagne, Leino)

No contest.
You're not helping

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
If Basketball players went 1 for 21 every night..that would be considered boring, right?

With Hockey players it's ...he shoots OOHHH so close...just off the crossbar. He shoots again...save. He shoots...wide right. He shoots... wide left. He shoots...missed the entire net.

I'd rather shave the bunions off my aunt's feet than watch this BORING "sport" .

NY-SportsFan
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Hockey playoff games are by far the most exciting of any of the four major sports. Especially the buildup as a series moves on to games 5, 6 and 7.

The NBA used to be comparable, but the lack of physical play has really taken away the emotion and pride that used to be there 15 years ago.

Basketball is my favorite sport. Played it my entire life. But hockey playoffs have an "it" factor that basketball doesnt have. If you don't see that, you simply are bashing it before giving it a legit chance.

igPay atinLay
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
To the people that say "we are talking hockey in a basketball forum"

Why not talk basketball in this topic rather than whine?

Both sports are great...I don't understand why Hockey isn't more popular.

Cromedome
06-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Vs

No contest.

I don't know where you're from ..but if you ask ANY random person on the street about Kobe or Ray Allen...I'm 99% sure they'll know who you're talking about.

Ask the same person about Toews , Byfuglien and Hjalmarsson...and i'm sure the response would be ... Byfuglien? Hjalmarsson? Are you insulting me in another language?

Ezekial
06-07-2010, 04:50 PM
If Basketball players went 1 for 21 every night..that would be considered boring, right?

With Hockey players it's ...he shoots OOHHH so close...just off the crossbar. He shoots again...save. He shoots...wide right. He shoots... wide left. He shoots...missed the entire net.

I'd rather shave the bunions off my aunt's feet than watch this BORING "sport" .

I'd rather watch 100 shots on net than 100 fouls. Just sayin.

Oh, and hater, just sayin.

FlakeyFool
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Hockey is popular, just not in the states.

Paulliwali
06-07-2010, 04:53 PM
NHL definitly have a more "exciting" playoff, upsets, 3-0 combacks, OT winners, but the audieance is much smaller for the NHL, so even though its more interessting it doesn't generate much rating.

NBA, well if the Orlando was able to comback or a big upset it would be good.
Like last year, Bulls vs. Celtics, and Rockets vs. Lakers, those were intense exciting playoffs.

TheDetroitBlue
06-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Boring Eh

I love basketball but you can barely touch the guy

Hockey you can hit+fight without getting suspended

Look up Scott Stevens Greatest Hits and tell me those don't make you cringe

ShakeN'Bake
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
If you don't like it, just don't watch it. :shrug:

ink
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
The thread really isn't going anywhere. You can't "prove" which is more entertaining.