PDA

View Full Version : Is Rondo the next Jason Kidd?

E.O.21
06-07-2010, 02:17 AM
I was looking threw their stats and they have a similar game
Can Rondo be as good or even better than him?

tonyd3b54
06-07-2010, 02:28 AM
rondo IS kid but smaller and MUCH more athletic

Korman12
06-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Asking for Rondo to be Kidd, one of the greatest PG's of All-Time ... All-Time ... is a lot. I'm not saying Rondo is bad - he certainly isn't - but being as good as Kidd is a tall order.

gbpackers12
06-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Rondo has a long way to go, but he's playing great Basketball now.

tredigs
06-07-2010, 02:37 AM
I'd say that's the path he's forging for himself, yeah. He's smaller, but more athletic and a much better finisher than Kidd ever was. With one ring, and one more possibly on the way as the best player on the team, he's making a huge impact at a young age. It would be blind to not recognize that if he continues this type of progression and stays the course, then he'll be in the talks with the all time great PG's by the time his career's through.

Like a couple people mentioned, obviously that's a long, long ways away. But that's the path he's on for now.

AI4MVP
06-07-2010, 02:44 AM
eh hes similar to kidd. better finisher, and more athletic. doesnt quite have the basketball IQ of kidd, but nevertheless, hes developing into one of the best point guards in the game. prolly a top 3 or 5 true point guard in the game

jackdawson
06-07-2010, 02:45 AM
He could be.

Paulliwali
06-07-2010, 02:48 AM
He doesn't match Kidd's smarts, but compensates that with athleticism and around the rim touches

Is Rondo as good as a rebounder as Kidd? Don't watch him alot, anyone know?

ldc62
06-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Rondo is a pretty good rebounder, great passer, plays D and has good awareness. Kidd no doubt has had a better career (based on stats), but Rondo already has a ring. He is similar to Kidd tho.

AI4MVP
06-07-2010, 02:52 AM
He doesn't match Kidd's smarts, but compensates that with athleticism and around the rim touches

Is Rondo as good as a rebounder as Kidd? Don't watch him alot, anyone know?

maybe even better

Gilly1254
06-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Kidds much smarter and more range then rondo... Rondo much more athletic finishes also benefits from playing with 3 future hall of famers though,

jackdawson
06-07-2010, 03:09 AM
If Rondo can develop a decent jumper, he would be unstoppable. That's the only thing he is missing right now. Other than that, his game is as complete as any great point guard in nba history.

tredigs
06-07-2010, 03:18 AM
maybe even better

Kidd averaged nearly 7 rebounds a game throughout his career. Definitely not better. Kidd's vision and IQ were also among the best of all time, but this is actually the one thing that I truly think Rondo is at an advantage with by playing with "3 future hall of famers".

ElMarroAfamado
06-07-2010, 03:23 AM
as long as opposing teams LEAVE YOU WIDE OPEN on the perimeter i wouldnt consider you the best of anything
and dont try to defend him by bringing up when he is FORCED to throw up wild shots because the shot clock is running down and they luckily and they go down
or the 1 super wide open J he made in Game 2.....

he is lebron james minus the dunking
take that for what its worth

Ebbs
06-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Yea Rondos situation has been so much better. I'm not a big fan but he is really progressing into a superstar. I don't think he is even remotely close to Kidd though. Kidd in his prime was the better passer/rebounder/smarter player.

shep33
06-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Let me just say this, I love how Rondo plays a top 3 pg in the league at least.

However, if Doc and the Celtics keep playing him such heavy minutes, even in the regular season his legs aren't gonna last and he'll get injured more often.

harlequin018
06-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Similar stats but very different games. Rondo is a hyper-athletic point with a poor outside shot but terrific awareness around the rim. Kidd is all about court vision. He sees passing lanes that others don't and creates shots for people with his smarts and timing. Plus, Kidd has one of the better outside shots in the game.

The only thing they share is an uncanny ability to always know where the rebound will bounce. I think the only thing holding back Rondo from being another Deron is a jump shot.

boriquaabe
06-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Some of you don't remember Kidd was a terrible shooter when he first came in the league. Hence the reason why he was called ason Kidd because he has no J....

Through the same point in their careers rondo has shot almost 10% higher than Kidd from the field. But Kidd was slightly better at shooting the three.

Also rondo doesn't turn the ball over as much as kidd did at this point. But Kidd was a better rebounder.

I think yes if he continues to work on his perimeter shot with mark Price.

boriquaabe
06-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Similar stats but very different games. Rondo is a hyper-athletic point with a poor outside shot but terrific awareness around the rim. Kidd is all about court vision. He sees passing lanes that others don't and creates shots for people with his smarts and timing. Plus, Kidd has one of the better outside shots in the game.

The only thing they share is an uncanny ability to always know where the rebound will bounce. I think the only thing holding back Rondo from being another Deron is a jump shot.

Really Kidd is a career 34% 3pt shooter average at best. He also could only shoot a set shot. He never shot a pull up jumper. I disagree.

boriquaabe
06-07-2010, 03:45 AM
The other thing I don't get where this "rondo isn't a smart basketball player" stuff is coming from.

AI4MVP
06-07-2010, 04:19 AM
every since he got to Dallas J Kidd has been a better three point shooter. before then...not so much

ellesmeire
06-07-2010, 04:26 AM
best palyer on the C's??? pardon me while I throw up, he isnt really a top three PG yet, has only really been good for two seasons, lets wait a couple years after he loses some talent, because I can tell you Kidd his first 6-7 years didnt have HOF's to dish it to

he is very good, but dont start comparing him, he is very good passer, rebounder, he still isnt an elite scorer, he probably is the best "true-point guard" in the NBA, but deron williams and CP-3 are still way better

tmacsc2
06-07-2010, 04:46 AM
I think he will be a bit below when its all said and done or he is gonna be better!

PrettyBoyJ
06-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Both have a lot in common.. Besides Rondo being smaller.. Both rebound, share the rock, have a sense of when to swipe the ball, both cant shoot.. Rondo is like a reincarnated Kidd with more athleticism

D Roses Bulls
06-07-2010, 04:53 AM
I was looking threw their stats and they have a similar game
Can Rondo be as good or even better than him?

so by saying he's the next kidd your saying he will be the best pg in the league? lmfao...... oh wow what short memories you kiddies have now a days

Mplsman
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Similar skill sets but not exactly like jkidd

jetsfan28
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I honestly don't even see a comparison, other than the fact that they're both great rebounders. Kidd is much bigger, Rondo's much more athletic. Kidd's a better shooter, Rondo's better finisher. Kidd's smarter, Rondo's quicker. Kidd's better on the break, Rondo's better in the half court. Kidd was a fantastic team defender but not always great in man to man just shutting his guy down, Rondo excels as a man to man defender. They're very different IMO, almost opposites getting the same things done IMO. Because of that, I'm not sure you can say who's better, because they'll have slightly different measures of success.

E.O.21
06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I honestly don't even see a comparison, other than the fact that they're both great rebounders. Kidd is much bigger, Rondo's much more athletic. Kidd's a better shooter, Rondo's better finisher. Kidd's smarter, Rondo's quicker. Kidd's better on the break, Rondo's better in the half court. Kidd was a great team defender but not always good in man to man, Rondo excels as a man to man defender. They're very different IMO, almost opposites IMO.

Rondos better on the break than in the half court IMO

jetsfan28
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Rondos better on the break than in the half court IMO

Sorry, I meant better than Kidd in the half court (IMO at least)

ChicagoRox
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Rondo can never be like Kidd. Rondo's got a ring and Kidd never will. (I still hate Rondo thought, but got to respect him.)

jmb8311
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
best palyer on the C's??? pardon me while I throw up, he isnt really a top three PG yet, has only really been good for two seasons, lets wait a couple years after he loses some talent, because I can tell you Kidd his first 6-7 years didnt have HOF's to dish it to

he is very good, but dont start comparing him, he is very good passer, rebounder, he still isnt an elite scorer, he probably is the best "true-point guard" in the NBA, but deron williams and CP-3 are still way better

Well said. You put Kidd in his prime with the Celtics lineups and he'd be racking up titles. Such a large part of your success as a Point Guard is having reliable players that can knock down shots around you, and Rondo has the benefit of having three HOF players knocking down shots and inflating his assist numbers and leaving more lanes open for him to drive with the ball because defenders are draped all over KG, RA, and PP.

JayAllDay
06-07-2010, 02:56 PM
They both play PG, can't shoot that well, can pass, can play defense, can rebound, and can fill the stat sheet. Similarities end about there.

MacFitz92
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
No.

MacFitz92
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Kidd in his prime was almost as good as it gets at PG.

Klivlend
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been thinking the same thing watching the playoffs this year. If he can continue to improve his 3 point shot and maintain his level of play for the next decade, and stays healthy, then I'd say he has a chance

kozelkid
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
rondo IS kid but smaller and MUCH more athletic

You should be banned for that comment.

kozelkid
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
They both play PG, can't shoot that well, can pass, can play defense, can rebound, and can fill the stat sheet. Similarities end about there.

Kidd wasn't a bad spot up shooter from 3. His career 3pt% is 34.9, that's pretty good. He just never had that instict to score.

As for Rondo and Kidd, yes they have similarities. However, Kidd was just in a whole other level when it comes to passing ability. Rondo so far has had the luxury of passing to players who know where to be, while Kidd had the ability to guide players who weren't as sure where to be if that makes sense.

tonyd3b54
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
You should be banned for that comment.

have u ever seen rondo play? he much quicker and jumps higher... ive seen the kid do a 360 dunk at the height of 6'1... last time i checked thats really athletic... and kid could never do that and isnt as quick... get out of my face with that crap...

kozelkid
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
have u ever seen rondo play? he much quicker and jumps higher... ive seen the kid do a 360 dunk at the height of 6'1... last time i checked thats really athletic... and kid could never do that and isnt as quick... get out of my face with that crap...

Are you kidding me?
Have you ever watched Kidd run a fast break in his young days? One of the fastest players back in his day. And as far as I'm concerned, strength also plays into athleticism. One of the strongest and fastest pgs makes for one of the most athletic. Do your research next time.

tonyd3b54
06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Are you kidding me?
Have you ever watched Kidd run a fast break in his young days? One of the fastest players back in his day. And as far as I'm concerned, strength also plays into athleticism. One of the strongest and fastest pgs makes for one of the most athletic. Do your research next time.

first of all i said quicker so before u bleed all over urself read it right. and 2nd we can debate this until the sun goes down but we dont have a 40 time or anything as far as stats to prove this so this go do ur research is bull ****... be real u hav no idea which one has the faster time... all i kno is from what ive seen and i watch rondo every game since hes come into the league and there hasnt been one pg ive seen whos faster than he is...

and also honestly? even if kidd is faster its very debatable

Lil Rhody
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Kidd averaged nearly 7 rebounds a game throughout his career. Definitely not better. Kidd's vision and IQ were also among the best of all time, but this is actually the one thing that I truly think Rondo is at an advantage with by playing with "3 future hall of famers".

Come on Rondo has amazing court vision. The kid is sick

Hellcrooner
06-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Shoots too much for it.

Ronod next gary Paiton

rubio next kidd

Jennings next I Thomas

kozelkid
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
first of all i said quicker so before u bleed all over urself read it right. and 2nd we can debate this until the sun goes down but we dont have a 40 time or anything as far as stats to prove this so this go do ur research is bull ****... be real u hav no idea which one has the faster time... all i kno is from what ive seen and i watch rondo every game since hes come into the league and there hasnt been one pg ive seen whos faster than he is...

and also honestly? even if kidd is faster its very debatable

Well for one I never said which one is more athletic between Rondo or Kidd. They both are athletic as far as I'm concerned. I was just more appalled by the emphasis you said between the too.

Lakersho
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
rondo plays pretty good with touches of brilliance. but its still to early to tell,he's on the right track though...