PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cavaliers make offer to Tom Izzo

Red222
06-06-2010, 09:44 PM
The Cavaliers have reportedly made an offer to Michigan State's Tom Izzo to take over coaching duties in Cleveland.
Owner Dan Gilbert graduated from Michigan State and reportedly wants to hire Izzo badly. He's a very demanding coach and it will be interesting to see if, A. He takes the job, and B. How his style translates in the NBA. This is just a hunch, but it would make sense that LeBron James has already signed off on Izzo coaching the team. Then again, that doesn't mean it would keep him from going elsewhere, either. Jun. 6 - 8:45 pm et
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/06/06/sports/nh2604471.txt:speechless:

Raps08-09 Champ
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
He any good?

The Jokemaker
06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Tom Izzo has been a great college coach but who knows if that'll transfer to the pros. The big question is, how does LEBRON feel about Tom Izzo? How does an Ohio boy feel about the potential hiring of a Michigan State coach?

boriquaabe
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
He any good?

Seriously? Izzo could coach a bunch fat slobs to the final four.

But I don't see it. He is perfectly suited for the college game.

Red222
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Izzo has turned down chance to talk with a few NBA teams in last two years. Cavs owner Dan Gilbert has targeted him as top choice.

Despite published report, two sources close to MIchigan State's Tom Izzo say the Cavs still haven't made him an offer. "Not yet," one said.
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

JWO35
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I would hate to see Izzo leave Michigan State, but I always wanted to see him coach a NBA Team(most likely the Pistons)....Izzo is very loyal to Mich St, I remember when Oregon offered him to be the highest paid Coach in NCAA he said no and the Atlanta Hawks offered Izzo a job after he won in 00 and he turned it down.

Iodine
06-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Izzo DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS

my .02

Red222
06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
WojYahooNBA

In talking to Izzo people, sense is Cavs franchise is too unsettled for him to leave Mich State now. NBA intrigues him, but he's cautious.

Raoul Duke
06-06-2010, 10:27 PM
No way he leaves. He's a god in East Lansing and he's one of the few successful college coaches who is more concerned with running a clean program and graduating his players than he is with getting the top recruits. He was born in MI, went to college in MI, and was Heathcote's handpicked replacement.

I wanna say maybe, because they have Lebron, but do they really have Lebron? I dunno.

mkool65
06-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I have heard a rumor about Izzo getting offers to NBA or other college programs on a consistant basis for the last 10 years now. I am by no means worried about him leaving, he really has no reason to. The only intriguing thing for him would be NBA status, other than that he has everything he could want at MSU.

fadedmario
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Izzo will shoot this down. How will a top 3 coach in all of college ball leave for a horrible team?

td0tsfinest
06-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Tom Izzo is probably the best coach in all of college. Wonder if he'd be able to translate that into the nba.

Raoul Duke
06-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Tom Izzo is probably the best coach in all of college. Wonder if he'd be able to translate that into the nba.

Yeah that's another thing. He's very tough on his players. It's because he cares so much about them and about what he's doing, but I don't know if that would make it any easier for NBA players to take. Izzo is a teacher. You can't teach half the guys in the NBA anything.

fadedmario
06-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah that's another thing. He's very tough on his players. It's because he cares so much about them and about what he's doing, but I don't know if that would make it any easier for NBA players to take. Izzo is a teacher. You can't teach half the guys in the NBA anything.

He's not going anywhere.

abe_froman
06-07-2010, 12:42 AM
He's not going anywhere.

agreed,i dont see this happening

ManRam
06-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm always terrified of college coaches transitioning to the NBA. I feel like 9 times out of 10 they'll flop. Izzo isn't really an exception I feel like.

It wouldn't be a good move for either party.

CAVS21
06-07-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't see why Izzo would do this considering what he has in East Lansing....LeBron must be on board with this or it would be stupid to make this type of decision before LBJ signs.....Gilbert needs to stay in the owners box and not play Jerry Jones

Red222
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Sources: Dan Gilbert has discussed framework of massive contract with Tom Izzo, up to 5 yrs at around $6 million a year. #cavs

Offer may not be formalized, but heard there's many perks including free use of a private jet.

Still, several people I've talked to close to Izzo say they don't think he'll take it. LeBron in doubt plus MSU has great team back

Izzo currently makes $2.6 million per at MSU with bonuses that push to $3. Sounds like Gilbert just offered to double it.

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Sports Illustrator
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm always terrified of college coaches transitioning to the NBA. I feel like 9 times out of 10 they'll flop. Izzo isn't really an exception I feel like.

It wouldn't be a good move for either party.

Yea I have to agree with that. The only coach I'd make an exception for is Coach K from Duke. I might consider someone like Bobby Knight as well but even so, even he may flop too.

Red222
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Cavs undoubtedly see Izzo as a potential new "star" if LeBron leaves. But Izzo, like any top coach, won't want job w/out guarantee of LeBron
http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ In the AP MSU denies an offer being made

Kakaroach
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
They are offering a ton of money for a guy who has never coached in the NBA. 30mill over 5 years?

avrpatsfan
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
He any good?
Uh yeah.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Izzo will not sign anything from the Cavs until he sees Lebron sign with the Cavs. No chance in hell he leaves MSU with a chance that the Cavs could be a bottom feeder next year.

Red222
06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Sources have told The Plain Dealer that Michigan State players left a meeting with Tom IzzoTuesday night believing he was going to leave to accept Gilbert's offer to become the next Cavaliers coach. Izzo didn't tell them that, he called the meeting to acknowledge reports that he'd been offered the job, but players left afraid they were about to lose their coach.

Several other sources, however, indicated Izzo hadn't made his final decision as of Wednesday afternoon.
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html:)

The Jokemaker
06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
This type of story and potential hire has three purposes. 1: To show lebron they will spend on a coach to win and entice him with the possibility of playing with one of the best college coaches in basketball. 2: To show OTHER free agents they are still commited to winning with or without lebron james and that they should still be considered as a destination. 3: To keep the fans interested with all this "will he stay, will he go" LBJ talk. They need a reason to stay psyched about the team if LBJ leaves and Izzo would provide that intrigue.

MackShock
06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
If lebron stays..he can make any coach look good. izzo should do a good job.