PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's Legacy...

PrettyBoyJ
06-06-2010, 12:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5245358

After reading this article, I wanted to know what you guys think about Kobe being mentioned at the top with Jordan, and where will he rank when his career is over.. Me personally I don't think anyone should be mentioned in the same conversation as Jordan, but Kobe is making quite a case.. Thoughts??

montazingmvp
06-06-2010, 01:00 AM
kobe's a great player. he produces, he wins, and puts up pretty numbers...
despite all this jordan is still a step ahead of him, in almost every facet of the game.

jordan was the more efficient scorer, while scoring at a higher rate. a slightly better passer...the better defender, the better rebounder...

you get the picture...

soonabooma
06-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Jordan is simply the greatest player to ever play the game. There have been many great players over the years, but he's just the ultimate winner. And Kobe is about the closest thing we'll probably ever see to MJ. That's not to say that there aren't other great players in the league now and more to come in the future. But it's pretty hard to deny that Kobes game is more like MJs than anybody we've ever seen. Let's just put it this way......if both were playing at the same time in their prime and Jordan had to miss a game due to sickness or whatever....Kobe could step in as a stunt double and do just fine.;)

shep33
06-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Its remarkable when you look at what Kobe has done. The guy has arguably been the best player over the past decade, which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

-4 rings- and i think he adds 1-2 more here
-81 points... yeah that won't be broken anytime soon by a guard, heck by anyone for a long long time
-62 points in 3 quarters
-the 40 and 50 point streaks he had
-all-nba, all-defensive teams basically his whole career
-MVP, Finals MVP
-Won more playoff games with Phil than any other combo of player/coaches

Thing is we can go on and on about the guy, and the scary thing is that I still think he has 3-4 years of high quality ball left in him. I still think MJ is the GOAT, but what puts Kobe above everyone else besides MJ is his WILL to win games.

There was this article on ESPN that looked at Kobe in his prime and how bad those teams were that he played for. Something like 7-8 guys who were on that team when the lakers were struggling for those 3 years aren't even in the league anymore.

Love him or hate him, the guy puts in work and battles through injuries, there's really nothing more you can ask out of your star player.

IAmKira
06-06-2010, 01:18 AM
This whole legacy talk is getting annoying. How about u wait till his career is over?

Bruno
06-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Jordan = no alleged rapes, no getting a superstar trading, no being an idiot and almost getting self traded

Kobe = alleged rape (personally I don't believe its alleged and probably more than one girl), got a HOF top 10 player in NBA history traded, ran his mouth and almost got traded, trashed his roots

"Almost getting himself traded" is one of the smartest things he's ever done. The pressure he put on the front office directly led to them trading for Pau, landing Fisher (luck), and trading Mo Evans and Brian Cook for Trevor Ariza. Kobe said something like, "it takes pressure to create a diamond" regarding the sumer of 2007 trade request.

chisox..YES!
06-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Kobe will go down as one of the all time greats, but will never catch Jordan because of two stats (among others).

Finals MVP's -> best player on your team when you win a championship

FG% -> which really isn't even comparable between MJ and Kobe

ink
06-06-2010, 01:35 AM
This subject never goes anywhere in this forum. If you want to start a thread like this, start it in the Lakers forum.