PDA

View Full Version : Teams On The Decline

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Gilly posted and interesting thread asking which non-playoff teams might be able to make a push into the playoffs or even contention next season, and I see some teams like the Grizzlies, Clippers, 76ers and Pacers potentially pushing their way into the post-season next year, but if any of these team did that, that would mean some other teams would be on the decline. Detroit saw a major back slide this year, as have the Hornets over the last couple of seasons, and the Rockets (in part due to Yao's injury and McGrady's "inactivity").

So which teams do you PSD fans think might be headed on the way to the lottery next year and why?

Though I'm a fan of Utah, I think they may be one of the teams fighting to stay in the playoffs because they have so many people up from free agency, and free agency could be ravaging squads like Cleveland, Phoenix, Toronto and Miami.

SA5195
06-05-2010, 10:28 PM
If Bosh leaves, and Hedo wanting to leave. Next year will probably be ugly.

Kakaroach
06-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Good idea. But not Utah, we had the third youngest team in the NBA last season and only Boozer and Korver are gonna be allowed to walk, and we're gonna keep Wes Matthews.

Tough question though, other than Boston and the Spurs I'm not sure who else could be on the decline.

And of course the Cavs, Raptors, Heat, and Knicks could all be screwed by free agency.

BaustinSali08
06-05-2010, 10:31 PM
How in the hell are the Pacers pushing there way into the Playoffs next year?

black1605
06-05-2010, 10:34 PM

seconded.....they are a mess

commonsense12
06-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Good idea. But not Utah, we had the third youngest team in the NBA last season and only Boozer and Korver are gonna be allowed to walk, and we're gonna keep Wes Matthews.

Tough question though, other than Boston and the Spurs I'm not sure who else could be on the decline.

And of course the Cavs, Raptors, Heat, and Knicks could all be screwed by free agency.

How could the knicks be screwed by free agency, even if they dont get anyone they are better off losing the scrubs that they had. Plus they only had 29 wins the only direction they are going is up.

Wow gotta love the Knick Hatred.

still1ballin
06-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Spurs

BaustinSali08
06-05-2010, 10:39 PM
seconded.....they are a mess

:sigh: :cry: I know it......I know it

iFYouSeekAmy
06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Warriors. What would be more exciting than them going to the playoffs?

black1605
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
i think youre in the wrong thread

97NYer
06-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Raptors w/o Bosh IMO would be a horrible team.

Calderon/Jack
DeMar/Weems
Turk=[
Bargnani

Mudvayne91
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
My Nugs are depending on activity in free agency or potential trades. Chauncey is gettin old and we still need to get a deal done with Melo.

kingkenny01
06-05-2010, 11:08 PM
bucks possible if salmons doesn't sign

shep33
06-05-2010, 11:10 PM
My Nugs are depending on activity in free agency or potential trades. Chauncey is gettin old and we still need to get a deal done with Melo.

Yeah the Melo thing is scary, if you think about Melo has unprecedented power if he becomes a free-agent...

Cause if all these free agents sign somewhere, then if they have cap space in say Miami, NYC, Chicago, etc. Melo can pick his team.

I actually think his free-agency next year will be more interesting than all the guys this year, cause without him Denver has to rebuild.

shep33
06-05-2010, 11:17 PM
What about the Celtics? I don't think they're on the decline obviously their in the Finals. But as of next season, i think there is alot of uncertainty there. They got a lot of older guys on that team plus i don't think they have much money cause KG and Pierce are still gettin around 20 mill right? Their defensive guru in Timmy T is now gone too after the finals.

Don't get me wrong Boston could very well win the finals this year. But I wonder how good they'll be if they can't get a deal done with Ray, Doc leaves along with Thibideau, KG i think will be 35 next year, Sheed will older and who knows might retire, Nate and Tony Allen are free agent too right? Kinda interesting, cause they may have to go through a lot of changes next year so we don't really know what that team will look like.

hugepatsfan
06-05-2010, 11:26 PM
What about the Celtics? I don't think they're on the decline obviously their in the Finals. But as of next season, i think there is alot of uncertainty there. They got a lot of older guys on that team plus i don't think they have much money cause KG and Pierce are still gettin around 20 mill right? Their defensive guru in Timmy T is now gone too after the finals.

Don't get me wrong Boston could very well win the finals this year. But I wonder how good they'll be if they can't get a deal done with Ray, Doc leaves along with Thibideau, KG i think will be 35 next year, Sheed will older and who knows might retire, Nate and Tony Allen are free agent too right? Kinda interesting, cause they may have to go through a lot of changes next year so we don't really know what that team will look like.

I took the OP's definition of decline as miss the playoffs. Celts will surely make the playoffs in the horrid bottom half of the EC next year. But as a title contender, I believe this is their "last hurrah."

SA5195
06-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Calderon/Jack
DeMar/Weems
Turk=[
Bargnani

Well if Bosh leaves, I don't really see a reason of keeping Turk, and BC said he'll trade 1 of the PG's. So it'll look something like this.

Jack/?
Derozan/?
Weems/?
Bargnani/Amir/Dorsey
Whiteside(drafted)/?

So we'll be getting a backup, or starting PG, SG, SF, and a C

shep33
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I took the OP's definition of decline as miss the playoffs. Celts will surely make the playoffs in the horrid bottom half of the EC next year. But as a title contender, I believe this is their "last hurrah."

Oh yeah, Boston can make the playoffs with their eyes closed in the east. I agree though, this is their last shot at a title with that core. I misperceived the topic.

kntresistheheat
06-05-2010, 11:40 PM

How so:confused:

hugepatsfan
06-05-2010, 11:53 PM
How so:confused:

What if they can't get anyone. What if Lebron goes to CHI (real possibility). I could see Boozer going to OKC (cap permitting - not sure). Bosh might follow LBJ to CHI (S&T). JJ could go the the Knicks and Amare might stay in PHX. Then the heat wouldn't be able to add an elite player to Wade (if he stays). That would definately screw their future plans over.

kntresistheheat
06-06-2010, 12:02 AM
What if they can't get anyone. What if Lebron goes to CHI (real possibility). I could see Boozer going to OKC (cap permitting - not sure). Bosh might follow LBJ to CHI (S&T). JJ could go the the Knicks and Amare might stay in PHX. Then the heat wouldn't be able to add an elite player to Wade (if he stays). That would definately screw their future plans over.

There's lots of If's:rolleyes:first of all if any of this happends we wont even be able to keep wade! Boozer will not choose OKC over miami he lives here and he is good friends with wade and the owner of the heat and second of all good luck with the bulls doing a S&T for bosh.

hugepatsfan
06-06-2010, 12:10 AM
There's lots of If's:rolleyes:first of all if any of this happends we wont even be able to keep wade! Boozer will not choose OKC over miami he lives here and he is good friends with wade and the owner of the heat and second of all good luck with the bulls doing a S&T for bosh.

I think MIA gets a big man to go with Wade. But if you evaluate each of my "if scenarios" individually, I don't think any are impossible. I would bet against ALL of them happening though. Just making the point that there is a possbility the Heat get screwed (which was your original question).

Mudvayne91
06-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah the Melo thing is scary, if you think about Melo has unprecedented power if he becomes a free-agent...

Cause if all these free agents sign somewhere, then if they have cap space in say Miami, NYC, Chicago, etc. Melo can pick his team.

I actually think his free-agency next year will be more interesting than all the guys this year, cause without him Denver has to rebuild.

There has been some preliminary talks on a 3 year extension, but I haven't heard anything from that in about 5 days, so idk what will happen. I really want him signed (obviously) soon though cause it will make it a lot more desirable for a big FA to sign knowing the best player will be on the team for at least a few years. Given there would have to be some roster changes to sign or trade someone.

avrpatsfan
06-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Calderon/Jack
DeMar/Weems
Turk=[
Bargnani
:puke:

PrettyBoyJ
06-06-2010, 12:22 AM
It all depends on what happens this summer.. If LeBron leaves then Cavs will def. decline, as well as Amar'e.. Utah possibly, because of the tough western conference.. And Dallas if Dirk walks.

fadedmario
06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Cleveland without Lebron won't win 20 games. Atlanta will be another team that will struggle next year.

LA_Raiders
06-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Raps/Clev/Pho are going down...

GSW Hoops
06-06-2010, 02:24 AM

Definitely. Boston could be a 30-win team next season without Thibideau, Doc, Allen and an aging KG (and aging Pierce). If key guys get injured for any stretch, that win total could drop into the 20s, much like the Heat after their run in 2006.

Mike515089
06-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Cavaliers, Jazz, and Raptors look like there going to take the biggest hit from free agency. Also the age factor is against the Spurs and the Suns.

hugepatsfan
06-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Definitely. Boston could be a 30-win team next season without Thibideau, Doc, Allen and an aging KG (and aging Pierce). If key guys get injured for any stretch, that win total could drop into the 20s, much like the Heat after their run in 2006.

I think we might fall back next year. But you're on some serious **** if you think the Celtics win < 30 games next year. Unless the entire team gets hurt for the entire year, they will definately be a playoff team.

Ragun
06-06-2010, 02:42 AM
spurs, celtics, possibly lakers (aging kobe) but most likely not, raptors (rebuilding), cleveland, dallas

JasonJohnHorn
06-06-2010, 09:47 AM

I'm not saying the Pacers will get the playoffs, but I would say they were gross underachievers last year, just as the Bucks were the year before. Injuries depleted a talented roster that included Granger, Dunleavy and Ford, Hibbert has been coming along nicely, and Hansborough showed that he can bang with the big guys in the NBA when healthy. And with veteran rebonders like Foster and Murphy helping to fill the rotation out in the front court (though free agency may not allow both to return) a first round pick coming their way and a potential MLE free agent added to the mix, this team has the talent and depth to win, even though they were the laughing stock of the league for points during the season.

A healthy Pacers squad with a good coach could get this team into the second round and put up a fight there. I don't doubt that. I know Ford isn't even a top-ten point guard in the league, but neither is Fisher, but so long as a team has depth and talent, weak links on the team can be over come.

That said the Pacers need to retain their free agents (which they may very well not do) and I think they need a coaching change, but this team has the talent right now to actually win and this past season was an example of teams underachieving. You can blame it on coaching or injuries, or youth, but the bottom line is this Indiana team was much better than their 32-50 record.

todu82
06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Cleveland if Lebron doesn't re-sign.

KnicksR4Real
06-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Now honestly, how could the Knicks be hurt by free agency. We can only get better and were not coming out empty handed. Sit down in your chair:facepalm:

oak2455
06-06-2010, 10:52 AM
How could the knicks be screwed by free agency, even if they dont get anyone they are better off losing the scrubs that they had. Plus they only had 29 wins the only direction they are going is up.

Wow gotta love the Knick Hatred.

Agreed how the hell would not one or maybe two guys sign for the max:confused: Just another dumbasssssssss comment......btw dont care what you guys say listen to the guys who play in the NBA.....they say how great it is to play in MSG thats in NY just so you know:D

MJ-BULLS
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Calderon/Jack
DeMar/Weems
Turk=[
Bargnani

that sig is so wrong.

nuggetsyankees
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Pacers aren't going anywhere until they get rid of all their white guys which isn't happening anytime soon

FOBolous
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Utah's core is still relatively young but it seems they lack chemistry. i wouldn't say they're declining but i would say that they're not as good as they should be.

as good as San Antonio played in the playoffs recently, i still think they're declining. look at the age of their players.

phoenix is definitely declining..no surprisingly. steve nash is getting up there in age.

Dallas? they're definitely declining. Jason Kidd is waaaaaay pass his prime, Marion isn't as good as he was when he was in Phoenix, and Josh Howard is always injured. the fact that they've had a quick exit from the playoffs these past few years is a testament of that.

Hornets are also declining as good as Chris Paul is. All the players they have in New Orleans around Chris Paul are old.

i'm expecting these five teams to drop in ranking with the next year or two (new orleans already dropped). three would be really pushing it. I'm expecting Houston (if Yao returns healthy and because Houston's core players are all very young), Oklahoma City, and Memphis to replace them at the top. Denver will be in the middle of the pack around the 4 or 5 spots along with Utah.

artest_kobe
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
spurs, hawks

Pierzynski4Prez
06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Now honestly, how could the Knicks be hurt by free agency. We can only get better and were not coming out empty handed. Sit down in your chair:facepalm:

Before you facepalm someone, maybe you should fully understand what they are saying.

The Knicks put all their eggs into this FA period. Yes, they could sign 2 max guys, they could also sign 0. There is a chance of both happening. The OP never said it would happen, he just laid out the teams that have chances of coming away empty handed.

You clearly think people will come, that's your opinion. But clearly there is a chance that none of LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Stat, Boozer, Johnson sign with your Knicks. And that is what the OP meant.

And if the Knicks don't sign any one of the max players, they will be in some trouble, especially if they then proceed to go throw big money at guys like Gay just to get someone.

The Jokemaker
06-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Ignoring any potential free agent moves, I've got the Celtics Spurs, and the Nuggets. Nuggets have talent but the coaching situation is up in the air. We saw what happened once Karl left last season. Celtics are old and will only get older despite this finals appearance. They will still likely make the playoffs but its the east. Spurs are definiteily on the decline, the core guys are only getting older. They'll still make the playoffs but they won't be the title contenders of year's past.

n83417
06-06-2010, 12:31 PM

I think you are forgetting about Perkins (been defined as the best low post defender in the NBA) who has improved somewhat offensively. And Rajon Rondo. Garnett is still a capable big man. Just not for 35 MPG. Pierce is aging but can still be a great scorer at times.

And if Scal comes back, everything will be fine.