PDA

View Full Version : Kobe to undergo knee surgery, will miss world championship for Team USA.

Bruno
06-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Jerry Colangelo, Team USA’s CEO, told The Post Friday he has been informed Bryant likely will have right knee surgery after the season, which is why he won’t play in the World Championships. According to a Lakers source, Bryant may undergo arthroscopic knee surgery because of wear and tear.

Bryant’s broken finger has healed, but a Lakers source said the finger is puffed up.

Asked about his condition yesterday, Bryant said, “You just try to get healthy as you can for every game and you go out there and just do your best. You just forget about the injuries and put your hardhat on and go to work.”

Kupchak said he is amazed Bryant played the whole season.

“If you talk to him now, he’ll say he’s feeling pretty good,” Kupchak said. “He had a rebirth of energy after the knee was drained. But over the course of an 82-game season, we advised him in so many different ways it was time to take some time off, but he didn’t want to hear anything about it.”

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2010/06/05/kobe-to-undergo-knee-surgery-this-summer-will-miss-world-championships/

Bruno
06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Which young player steps in, who else deserves a spot on Team USA this summer?

Tqafg96
06-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Rudy Gay, Nash or Amar'e.

Iodine
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM

Lol.....

Anyway with all the super stars pulling out I wanna see some college players

_KB24_
06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Westbrook

tonyd3b54
06-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Rondo!!!

kntresistheheat
06-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Durant!!!

SouljahPhil...
06-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Nash is from canada...

Good for Kobe.........

jackdawson
06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Brandon Roy will start at 2 now.

Slimsim
06-05-2010, 08:06 PM
S.Curry ?

kArSoN RyDaH
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
kobe will get some much needed rest. glad to hear hes going to have the surgery. hopefully he comes back full throttle next year =]

MoBASS
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
This is why I effing love Kobe.. what a warrior.

DerekRE_3
06-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Which young player steps in, who else deserves a spot on Team USA this summer?

Tyreke :pray:

tdunk21
06-05-2010, 09:35 PM

nash is canadian.......lol

Korman12
06-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Durant, Roy

avrpatsfan
06-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Durant!!!
He could play the guard position easily.

RocketsRule
06-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Durant seems like a good substitute. He may not have the veteran savvy that Bryant has, but he has the explosiveness and offensive ability to be a major factor on the team.

barreleffact
06-05-2010, 10:10 PM
am i the only one wondering about how this will afect his game/athleticism? granted, it has to happen but what are reasonable expectations for his comeback?

Hellcrooner
06-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Who cares'?

I mean

Dirk said no to germany this summer.

Manu said no to argentin.

PArker said no to France

Okur and Turkoglu are notplaying for Turkey

Pau no to spain and Calderon unclear if he will or not.
Basicly usa could send Smush parker and Kwame brown and win the tropy since any serious team out ther will have their stars.

NPH
06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Who cares'?

I mean

Dirk said no to germany this summer.

Manu said no to argentin.

PArker said no to France

Okur and Turkoglu are notplaying for Turkey

Pau no to spain and Calderon unclear if he will or not.
Basicly usa could send Smush parker and Kwame brown and win the tropy since any serious team out ther will have their stars.

I apologize for this thread not being about a Spaniard.

Hellcrooner
06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I apologize for this thread not being about a Spaniard.

i meant who cares who the replacment is.

As a laker fan im pleased to know Kobe and Pau will be well rested and ready for next season.

still1ballin
06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Good

RaiderLakersA's
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Finally, someone has finally talked some sense into Kobe. Glad to hear that he'll be getting the work done and resting during the offseason.

I expect Team USA to do well either way. It's time for the next generation to step up. There is no shortage of talent.

Bruno
06-05-2010, 11:24 PM
i meant who cares who the replacment is.

As a laker fan im pleased to know Kobe and Pau will be well rested and ready for next season.

A lot of people care who replaces Kobe. Since this summer is just The Worlds, it's great training and experience for the young Americans, specifically guards who will be the face of Team USA when Bryant, and other aging stars no longer participate in the olympics.

Staying on top of this now, and making sure we are grooming the young guys to take the places of our aging leaders makes sure Team USA stays on top, and that 2004 never happens again. You of all people, considering Spain was 2nd, should care. If team USA doesn't groom the future teams correctly a team with talent like Spain could emerge with the gold.

I'm sure people said the same thing, "who cares" a couple years after the 1996 team dominated. People assumed team USA had it and the failed in 2004 because of such assumptions.

superkegger
06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Right move for Kobe, and with so many of the big name FA's out, it will be interesting to see just how good the "new" system for USA Basketball is without all of the absolute best players.

kblo247
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
am i the only one wondering about how this will afect his game/athleticism? granted, it has to happen but what are reasonable expectations for his comeback?

To be fair it is actually over do as he has had that knee scoped in 03, 06, and now 10. It is like an oil change for him and done almost every 3 years like clockwork. He will adapt and likely comeback with a new trick, if he listens to Cleamons, it will be moving off the ball and off screens like Reggie/Rip.

As for the worlds, I'd love to see Durant take the spot or Mayo get a shot as well.

I'm glad Kobe gets his much needed rest as a Laker fan and I'm also excited to see what USA does w/o him this time around.