PDA

View Full Version : Which of the non-playoff teams is going to break through next?

gilly
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Which team is going to break through next year? With the draft and off-season moves, I think that with Doug Collins at the helm the Sixers could sneak into the 8th seed, depending on if they draft Turner and make some real off-season trades. I also think the Warriors, the Timberwolves, possibly even the Clippers.

Who do you guys think could break through?

Kakaroach
06-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I think we'll be able to better answer this question after the flurry of off-season moves is over.

As of right now I would say the Grizzlies. If they manage to keep Gay and Z-Bo doesn't face any major jail time I could see them making the playoffs. Mayo, Conley, Gasol, and Thabeet will be a year older and more experienced.

shen
06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Assuming Zach is not in some cell with guy named bubba and they keep Rudy then Griz have the best shot. Though with Yao coming back Rockets have a good chance of knocking someone out.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Well, I think if the 76ers hand on to their pick and Brand, with the addition of Collins on the bench and a potential MLE player, they will be in the thick of things next season.

I also think the Clippers will have a good shot and getting into the playoffs, they will essentially be adding to first round draft picks this year (Griffen and whoever they pick this year), and already have a solid core, and can also add a player with the MLE.

I think the Pacers have some great pieces in place right now, and with the way the east teams swing up and down in the standings they have a legit shot if all are healthy next year to make some noise (though I think they are in need of a coaching change) and out west Memphis had a great year and if they hold onto their free agents, add a first rounder and a MLE, they could find themselves nipping on the heels of teams like the Jazz. As for the Hornets, you gotta love CP3, but that team has just had so much trouble getting their grove on, but I dont want to count them out either.

Teams that might have to really fight to stay in the hunt: Utah, the bucks, The Heat, Bulls and I think even the Mavs. This season's free agency could ravage some great teams.

king4day
06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Rockets if we're talking lottery teams in general.

But Clippers in the West and Philly in the East for the unlikely teams to make it.

Bruno
06-05-2010, 08:36 PM
^Yeah, Houston has the potential to be one of the best teams in the West next year. As of right now they will be at 58 million in payroll. They would need to resign Scola who is a FA, or replace him with another PF/C for the MLE. I think that math would work on that.

Brooks- speed and penetration.
Martin- spread the floor- score.
Ariza/Battier- lock down the other teams best wing/ hit those 3's.
Scola- hustle and toughness at the 4
Yao- 7'6, back in the mix.

I think the Rockets have more potential next year than the Griz. Both have a legit shot. And how about those Clippers?

iFYouSeekAmy
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Warriors; if they stay healthy along with not milking injuries.. and much more.

To be realistic, either Memphis or Houston.

fadedmario
06-05-2010, 08:54 PM
If Memphis keeps Gay, they will be a team to watch next year. They have a very good lineup. I also think next year Mayo takes a big step forward.

rockets-fan
06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
no way clippers make it... its either gunna be houston or memphis....and add blazers/okc/sa to the mix also fighting for the last spot

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2010, 10:25 PM
The Rockets may also have a chance to push back into the post season with a healthy Yao, especially if they get a decent pick in the draft, manage to pick up a free agent and see Ariza and Martin fill their potential.

97NYer
06-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Not including free agency (NYK, Chicago, NJ, etc.)

Memphis
Houston
Maybe Warriors/76ers but it would take trades/good draft pick
Timberwolves/Wizards look good for the future (2-4 years)

RocketsRule
06-05-2010, 10:57 PM
^Yeah, Houston has the potential to be one of the best teams in the West next year. As of right now they will be at 58 million in payroll. They would need to resign Scola who is a FA, or replace him with another PF/C for the MLE. I think that math would work on that.

Brooks- speed and penetration.
Martin- spread the floor- score.
Ariza/Battier- lock down the other teams best wing/ hit those 3's.
Scola- hustle and toughness at the 4
Yao- 7'6, back in the mix.

I think the Rockets have more potential next year than the Griz. Both have a legit shot. And how about those Clippers?

Yep, assuming Yao is back and healthy (a fairly big assumption) there's no doubt it my mind we'll be a playoff team. We posted an above .500 record without Yao, and have another lottery pick to add to the mix as well. I see us being anywhere from a #3 seed to a number #7.

Clippers and Grizzlies also have a great chance, depending on their FA luck.

Lakersho
06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
no way clippers make it... its either gunna be houston or memphis....and add blazers/okc/sa to the mix also fighting for the last spot

I would leave o.k.c. off the list for last spot,they are just 1 good center away from being a contender...

igPay atinLay
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Sixers, Clippers, Nets, and Houston (did they make the playoffs this year, can't remember but don't think so)

I only say the Nets because they have young talent and they have that scary Russian billionaire.

superkegger
06-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Way to early to know.

I mean, with this offseason anything can happen, so who knows. Re-post this thread in september.

topdog
06-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb/be a homer and say T-wolves. We don't know what any of these teams are going to do yet but I have confidence in Kahn and his awareness that he will not be getting Lebron or Wade.

loufor2
06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
rockets, clippers, memphis
my sixers :p

Jrue, Turner, and Iggy would be nasty!

THE MTL
06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Well, after the offseason moves.

New Jersey and New York. With Miami and Chicago really establishing themselves as "good teams"

igPay atinLay
06-05-2010, 11:41 PM
rockets, clippers, memphis
my sixers :p

Jrue, Turner, and Iggy would be nasty!

I don't think we are keeping Iggy...I think we are going to trade him and get another first rounder this year..maybe Utah at 9 because Iggy can do more for them than the 9th pick also we have Young.

I think our starting 5 could be:

Holliday, Turner, Young, Speights/Brand (I still believe in Brand if he can stay healthy, and Sammy for the last year on his contract and Aldrich grooming to take over for Sammy in a year.

ty_smitty21
06-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm guessing Philly this coming year, and the Pacers the following year.

PrettyBoyJ
06-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Grizzles and possibly the clippers.. Im curious to see how Blake Griffin is going to play after a year off

j-bay
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
which is most likely to make the playoffs this year this is a ? tou got to awnser it does not mean they will but wouldn't be great if yoy did and if they did make the playoff you say hey i voted that team as most likely
i say the Wizards if Gilberts gets hot and he has to understand Wall is the new leader i think they have a great coach they got 2 more picks and they could trade the 30th for a ready player they can get a big man and they got the monbey for a top 10 FA

Chill_Will_24
06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Wow. I understand people make mistakes, but i had to read the entire paragraph like 4 times to understand what you meant. Anyway, i think the Nets will make the most noise. Derrick Favors' ceiling is Amare Stoudemire/Dwight Howard and his bust potential is only Al Horford. They have so much CAP space. They can get Gay and Lee. They will most likely get a decent coach. I think not getting the first pick will be a blessing in disguise.

PG Devin Harris
SG Courtney Lee
SF Rudy Gay
PF David Lee
C Brook Lopez

Bench

Derrick Favors
Yi Jianlian
Terrence Williams

AI4MVP
06-06-2010, 01:46 PM
the answer is the sixers.

fadedmario
06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
the answer is the sixers.

I don't think Turner is going to be as good as expected. I like Favors more.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
My sleeper team: Kings

Tyreke Evans is a star.

heathonater
06-07-2010, 04:25 AM
without knowing where the free agents end up, i would say houston. if they can keep yao healthy and productive they are a dangerous team and should make the playoffs next year.