PDA

View Full Version : NBA Landscape had the Lakers traded for Garnett in 2007 giving up Odom and Bynum

JordansBulls
06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2916217

Sources told the Times, however, that Wolves general manager Kevin McHale is not thrilled with the idea of getting Odom and Bynum, even if they come with the Lakers' 19th pick.

I'm sure Kobe and KG would have won a title at least as well.

bigsams50
06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Depends on if the Lakers would've still traded for Pau or not.

king4day
06-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I think looking back now, I woulda wanted that deal instead.
Odom wouldn't have resigned though (most likely)

Mplsman
06-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Meh. I still like what they got right now. Its hard to complain really with a roster that talented.

LAcowBOMBER
06-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll take Odom, Bynum and Gasol over Garnett without hesitating. At this point, I'd definitely take Odom and Bynum over him. I might even take just Odom over Garnett, especially for this Lakers team

Sadds The Gr8
06-05-2010, 10:28 AM
i'd prolly hate the Lakers even more than I do now....and that's alot.

they woulda won a couple titles for sure though

jetsforever
06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
i'd prolly hate the Lakers even more than I do now....and that's alot.

they woulda won a couple titles for sure though

In the 3 years since the Garnett trade, the Lakers have won 1 title and have been to 3 championships... and IMO they will probably be 2/3. I guess they could have won the first one because the Celtics wouldnt have been there but other then that they have done a nice job.

KnicksorBust
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
I actually think it worked out for the best for the Lakers. They made it their in 08. They won in 09. I'm very confident they are winning this year. How much better could they have been? They are set up to win in at least the next 2-3 years as well too while KG is declining in Boston.

Montana_Rob
06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
but think if they made the trade for KG then traded Kwame and Mark Gasol for PAU. WOW that would be disturbing

JordansBulls
06-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I think if they made this deal then they keep Kwame at Center since you already have KG with him. I think they get someone like Kidd as well.

Kidd
Kobe
Walton
Garnett
Kwame

thekmp211
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
they would have won in 08. if you want gasol over kg at that point you're ********. now maybe post knee injury but pre, its no contest. if he didn't hurt himself they might have been in all 3 finals. kg would have made that team a defensive force which lets be honest is the one problem all these lakers teams have. pau has improved but kg might be the best defensive pf of all time (cue the haters).

Hellcrooner
06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
THey would probably have kept Marc Gasol tehn and would be looking like Fisher,Kobe, Artest (mle again), Kg and Marc Gasol and still be in the finals.

Pau would probably Be ewearing a Bulls Jersey today.

Avenged
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I think if they made this deal then they keep Kwame at Center since you already have KG with him. I think they get someone like Kidd as well.

Kidd
Kobe
Walton
Garnett
Kwame

That's horrible compared to the Lakers lineup right now.

RaiderLakersA's
06-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Wasn't there trade rumors before that one...back when Shaq was still on the Lakers...to get Garnett???? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

IrespectNumber3
06-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Kwame Brown can never get your team to the promised land as starting center

B.JenningsMVP
06-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Not getting KG worked out well for the Lakers.

RocketsRule
06-05-2010, 04:17 PM
In the short term it may have been good for them, but if you look at how KG is playing now there is no doubt that they are better off with Odom and Bynum.

_KB24_
06-05-2010, 04:27 PM
KG and Kobe would have won a atleast a ring or two by now. Who would stop the bets offensive and defensive players int he world back then in 08?

Bruno
06-05-2010, 06:13 PM
yea, anybody remember www.getgarnett.com ?

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Assuming that the Lakers had still been able to pick up Pau Gasol, they would have won the last two NBA titles as Boston, without Garnett, wouldnt have been able to put together a title run, and the Cavs I don't think would have beat that Lakers squad.

But that would have taken away the depth, versatility, size and longevity that I think the Gasol/Bynum/Odom has to offer. I mean those three players I think will be able to put up title contending performances for hte next five year, and as Gasol and Odom start to get a little older, Bynum will really be hitting his prime, plus LA, being a title contender, has an easy time signing talented playings who are chasing rings to the vet min or the MLE.

Had it just been Gasol, Garnett and Kobe, I think the window for rings would be dwindling already and as is I think that window is open for the next five seasons.

RNess78c
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
if everything went the same they would have a nasty lineup

KG or gasol
P.Gasol or KG
Artest
Kobe
Fisher

JordansBulls
06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
yea, anybody remember www.getgarnett.com ?

Oh nice.

iggypop123
06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
the rumors were all crazy at that time. i think some said the lakers didnt even offer bynum instead offering a expirring contract offer with kwame and them taking back troy hudsons horrific contract or something like that. its a good thing the lakers didnt make that deal. it worked out for them and for the wolves its a horrible thing they didnt do that deal they would have gotten amazing value.

JordansBulls
06-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I remember the millions of topics with the KG in the Lakers uniform.

JNA17
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Kind of funny how things work out like that. At first not getting KG looked horrible, but then signing fisher, getting gasol, getting ariza for cook and evans, bynum getting better, ariza leaves but sign artest.

It turns out not getting garnett was the better deal after all lol

Derick713
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
The Lakers wouldn't have been in the Finals for 3 straight years. The Wolves were smart not to take back Bynum since he has been injury prone. I wish that the T-Wolves would've taken back Odom and Bynum.

Imagine if the T-Wolves accepted Aldridge, Chandler, Deng, and some other pieces for Garnett.

PrettyBoyJ
06-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Garnet is a great player better the the 3, but Odom, Bynum, and Gasol jus fit in with the Lakers and they all know their roles and dont complain.. Im not sayin KG would complain but I jus see them a better fit then KG would be

borat
06-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Mchale sure made a boo boo. But good luck with a hurt Jefferson and Gomes. :laugh:

ilovemyangel
06-07-2010, 01:34 AM
imagine the defensive demon lakers would be with a starting lineup that looks like that:
Gasol
Garnett
Artest
Kobe
Fisher

Kg and kobe would definitely help to prolong each other's career

JordansBulls
06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Mchale sure made a boo boo. But good luck with a hurt Jefferson and Gomes. :laugh:

Jefferson isn't hurt all the time is he?