PDA

View Full Version : Gasol says KG lost a Step

shep33
06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5253247

I don't think Pau meant it like the media portrays, this is kinda more of the media hyping up Lakers vs. Celtics.

irobson
06-04-2010, 09:29 PM
not only lost a step but can't hit a jump shot, box out, or rebound...he looked awful game 1

Discr3t
06-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Its wierd, he played well in the Magic and Cavs series and now hes just a mess. I think he's injured but I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out hard in game 2.

SeoulBeatz
06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
kg has regressed over two years, pau has gotten much better and tougher, Pau is just stating the facts.

Twolves88
06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
It should be apparent to everyone KG has regressed. hes more of a 3rd or 4th option now.... I think gasols comments where taken out of context.... KG now relies more on getting into his opponents head then anything else...

shep33
06-04-2010, 09:35 PM
KG could come out next game and be terrific, he's been up and down these playoffs. Defensively I thought yesterday was surprising... the rebounding, not as good help D, and not as good individual D as we're use to seeing.

Sheed actually did a better job on Gasol, but he just picks up too many bad fouls.

ToLiveInDieInLA
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Its wierd, he played well in the Magic and Cavs series and now hes just a mess. I think he's injured but I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out hard in game 2.

He looked good because he was playing against Jamison and Lewis, those aren't true poward forwards with mad skills like Gasol thats why.

Bruno
06-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Funny how the media is trying to make this Gasol/KG thing a big deal. Pau couldn't have stated the obvious with any more respect.

0nekhmer
06-04-2010, 10:07 PM
it is true, KG looked lost out there, not confident, not himself.

*Silver&Black*
06-04-2010, 10:12 PM
not only lost a step but can't hit a jump shot, box out, or rebound...he looked awful game 1

can't pass, turn the ball over, can't put in a tip at the rim, etc, etc.:D

SMH!
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
He's not lieing.

Raidaz4Life
06-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Everyone who watched the game last night saw that

JordansBulls
06-04-2010, 10:33 PM

He didn't play well against the Magic.

albertc86
06-04-2010, 10:37 PM
KG has lost a step. He can still knock down the 15-20 footer like a champ but his all-around game has diminished some. I think he's going to continue to be outclassed by Gasol this series. That one possession where he was blocked by the rim on a lay-up/dunk attempt and was then unable to regain possession of the ball and put up an air ball, was just ugly and a sign of fatigue.

_KB24_
06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
He's lost a step for sure on offense. On defense, he still scares the **** out of me. I just think his mind is somewhere else when I saw him play in Game 1. Their's no excuse for that sad play he made on that missed layup possession. It was disgusting.

boriquaabe
06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
It's very easy for Gasol to say those things now. But Why? Why not just deflect? Why make it a point to state the obvious? It wasn't smart IMO. KG like any player at his age playing his first full year after a major knee surgery will have his ups and downs physically. But don't count him out and definitely don't give him any fuel. I liked how rondo responded....

For example, Rajon Rondo was asked about the Gasol’s comments, again without context, and he just grinned. “Every man is entitled to this opinion,” Rondo said. “You know, Kevin is fine. It’s just one game. We’ll see in Game 2.”

Asked how this would affect Garnett, Rondo said, “I just can’t wait. I didn’t know [Gasol] said that, but I’ll be excited to see how it goes in Game 2.”

I wouldn't be surprised if he sends a thank you card to gasol after game 2.

*Silver&Black*
06-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Is it just me, or does Gasol flop as much as Anderson Varejao now?

RaiderLakersA's
06-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Funny how the media is trying to make this Gasol/KG thing a big deal. Pau couldn't have stated the obvious with any more respect.

:clap:

albertc86
06-04-2010, 11:00 PM
It's very easy for Gasol to say those things now. But Why? Why not just deflect? Why make it a point to state the obvious? It wasn't smart IMO. KG like any player at his age playing his first full year after a major knee surgery will have his ups and downs physically. But don't count him out and definitely don't give him any fuel. I liked how rondo responded....

KG will have his ups-and-downs after knee surgery? I don't think he's going to have any more "ups" given his age. You still have to respect his game but Gasol can say whatever he wants; he's earned it.

Kevj77
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Way to take it out of context BSPN. It wouldn't seem as bad if you heard what he said about himself right before that. He admitted he has lost some explosiveness since he has come into the NBA as well, but said he has gotten stronger and improved his skills also. After that he said what he said about Garnett. By the way it's true KG has lost a step. KG has logged a ton of minutes, had injuries and is getting up there in age. He isn't even the same player he was in 08.

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
LOL. Rachel Nichols even admitted on her twitter that they tried to spin the story. I feel sorry for Pau because he didn't do ****, but now the Celtics may get some motivation out of a made up story.

The Final Boss
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Mychal Thompson said it best; "When you regress in the rapid fashion that Garnett has you tend to pull, grab, elbow, and shove. If Garnett played in the 80's the way he does now, he would end up on a stretcher."

Garnett gets away with b.s. 'cause he's Garnett. Any other player would get multiple fines. Garnett sad to say, plays like a little *****.

Kevj77
06-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Yup they totally tried to spin it and make something out of nothing. That's why I hate ESPN. I saw all the interviews today on NBA TV he was asked how KG's game had changed since Pau came into the league in Memphis. How was he supposed to answer it lie or say no comment? He didn't even insult KG he just gave a honest answer.

avrpatsfan
06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Way to give KG more fire Gasol.

Verbal Christ
06-04-2010, 11:19 PM
my favorite part was when KG simply responded "who is he" ... classic.

avrpatsfan
06-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Mychal Thompson said it best; "When you regress in the rapid fashion that Garnett has you tend to pull, grab, elbow, and shove. If Garnett played in the 80's the way he does now, he would end up on a stretcher."

Garnett gets away with b.s. 'cause he's Garnett. Any other player would get multiple fines. Garnett sad to say, plays like a little *****.
Says a Lakers fan with Kobe Bryant on his favorite team.

JNA17
06-04-2010, 11:23 PM
He's not lieing

Master Mind
06-04-2010, 11:26 PM

My thoughts exactly

boriquaabe
06-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Says a Lakers fan with Kobe Bryant on his favorite team.

I was just going to say that. How do you quote a guy that broadcast lakers game? As if he isn't a hater. Him and his little head. Garnett would've put him on a stretcher. And with all do respect Miss. Thompson you spell it M-I-C-H-A-E-L.

DeyAce
06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
KG's old, he's got no chance

jackdawson
06-04-2010, 11:38 PM
KG for sure lost a step or two but I expect him come out stronger in game 2. Losing game two will pretty much cost them the series.

robdizzle3
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Is it just me, or does Gasol flop as much as Anderson Varejao now?

If you look at that play closely, you can see Garnett land a bow on gasol's chin, then he falls. He didnt try and fall for no reason. This isnt a big deal at all and KG and the Celtics are gonna take it how they want to take it. So what if KG gets fired up? He has that look anyways, but he still has to play and he always has a problem with keeping his emotions in check anyways. What is he gonna try and push Gasol around? Wouldnt be suprised to see the lakers go to Gasol early and often to show Garnett it doesnt matter if you're "fired up". You still have to go out and perform.

The Final Boss
06-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I was just going to say that. How do you quote a guy that broadcast lakers game? As if he isn't a hater. Him and his little head. Garnett would've put him on a stretcher. And with all do respect Miss. Thompson you spell it M-I-C-H-A-E-L.

You continuously reveal your ignorance. Its spelled properly.

Someone cue the face palm.

AI4MVP
06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
haha i expect KG to have an above average game 2

boriquaabe
06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
You continuously reveal your ignorance. Its spelled properly.

Someone cue the face palm.

Where I'm from people named Michael don't spell their names with a Y.

Michael Jordan
Michael Jackson
Michael Douglass
Michael Smith
ETC.

It's a joke anyway. Why so anal?

BTW are you in Spain?

The Final Boss
06-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Where I'm from(Madrid) they spell it Miguel. Lol

Its cool dude.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Where I'm from(Madrid) they spell it Miguel. Lol

Its cool dude.

Miguel. Que Pasa. You ready for the CUP?

How's torres? You think we can beat England?

Back on topic:

My best friend lives in LA and he is a DIe hard Laker fan. But he let's me bust his chops. It's always all in good fun.

People may find this funny but Gasol is my favorite Laker and the Only Laker I like because I am pro latino. I'm puerto rican But he's just wearing the wrong uniform. Anyway Any Rubio chatter? I also saw that El chacho is signing with Madrid. What's up with Vasquez. And this Aguilar kid any good?

The Final Boss
06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Gasol is Hispanic not Latino...but close enough.lol And yes I feel Espana has a legitimate chance to win the Copa Mundial. Vasquez is legit bro. I love Garnett as much as the next NBA fan. His game is crazy, but all good things come to an end. I'm not saying he doesn't have one good season left in the tank. But we muct face the facts, we all get old and when you revert to playing like a clown put your ego aside and become a great role player.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Gasol is Hispanic not Latino...but close enough. And yes I feel Espana has a legitimate chance to win the Copa Mundial. Vasquez is legit bro. I love Garnett as much as the next NBA fan. His is crazy, but all good things come to an end. I'm not saying he doesn't have one good season left in the tank. But we muct face the facts, we all get old and when you revert to playing like a clown put your ego aside and become a great role player.

Porque tan serio?

Ok answer me this which city is the pretentious one Barcelona or Madrid?

Bruno
06-05-2010, 12:27 AM
LOL. Rachel Nichols even admitted on her twitter that they tried to spin the story. I feel sorry for Pau because he didn't do ****, but now the Celtics may get some motivation out of a made up story.

Exactly.

shep33
06-05-2010, 12:35 AM
ESPN basically just made this up... what a weird thing to do. They're just trying to get more people to watch the series cause they're a sister network to ABC Pretty weak...

Westbrook36
06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Kevin Garnett had injury problems this season, however he really showed up strong at the end of the season. One bad game doesn't mean that he's totally washed up, though he has lost a bit of a step.

Fireworld
06-05-2010, 12:42 AM
It true, everybody loses a step. Everybody.

kozelkid
06-05-2010, 01:08 AM

And what exactly will he do with that fire?
He's hardly a threat at this point. Offensively, all he can pretty much do is hit the mid range shot.
He has become a poor rebounder and even defensively he has fell off.
He isn't the same player, this is hardly shocking.

kozelkid
06-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Kevin Garnett had injury problems this season, however he really showed up strong at the end of the season. One bad game doesn't mean that he's totally washed up, though he has lost a bit of a step.

If only it was one bad game. He was terrible against Magic. More than anything KG simply is a non-factor against elite players like Gasol and Howard. Obviously he can still have big games against Jamison and Beasley, both who suck defensively...

hugepatsfan
06-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't understand players. Why didn't he just say "I'm not worried about KG - I focus on my own game." Why Pierce talk **** after game 2 in ORL? I don't get the need to talk ****. Just win 4 games and then you can say all you want. If Pau plays every game in the series like last night and LA wins the series, he can come out and say KG is his *****. But all players should stfu until the end of the series - just play the game.

Hellcrooner
06-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Porque tan serio?

Ok answer me this which city is the pretentious one Barcelona or Madrid?

Neither and Both.

Neither because theres a TON of good people inboth citys and its not their fault there are some stupid peopl that like to be noticed.

thats why Both are pretntious because of that people.
But hey are in a diffrente fahsion

Barcelona is pretentious as in Snob.

Madrid is pretentious as in Arrogant.

On teh topic. SImply media trying to **** teh lakers by firing up the Celtics.

It worked fine for them when Lakers wher 2-0 on th e suns and media started to slid the posibility that Pau was the Mvp for the lakers.

Inmediate kobe reaction' Reduce the number of shots pau go tthe rest of the serie while increasing his own number of shots.

B.S games by media.

GSW Hoops
06-05-2010, 02:36 AM
The Celtics looked out of sorts, but I don't think L.A. should count on KG looking as "old" as he did in game 1. He's had a decent playoff run thus far and players with his passion and intensity don't get old overnight, especially during the NBA Finals.

LkrLand
06-05-2010, 02:48 AM
kg has regressed over two years, pau has gotten much better and tougher, Pau is just stating the facts.

It was clear that Pau didn't intend to send any harsh comments toward KG's way. He simply answered the question and stated the facts. KG has lost a little bit of his momentum from the past. He's simply getting older.

jbeezy
06-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Who is Pau...?
He is the guy who just went 23/14 all over his *** with 8 offensive rebounds :laugh2:
He had more offensive rebounds the Celtics starting 5 combined.

SundaeBest
06-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Neither and Both.

Neither because theres a TON of good people inboth citys and its not their fault there are some stupid peopl that like to be noticed.

thats why Both are pretntious because of that people.
But hey are in a diffrente fahsion

Barcelona is pretentious as in Snob.

Madrid is pretentious as in Arrogant.

On teh topic. SImply media trying to **** teh lakers by firing up the Celtics.

It worked fine for them when Lakers wher 2-0 on th e suns and media started to slid the posibility that Pau was the Mvp for the lakers.

Inmediate kobe reaction' Reduce the number of shots pau go tthe rest of the serie while increasing his own number of shots.

B.S games by media.

Good god you have nothing between your ears.....can some other fan-base please take you....it would ALMOST be worth it to lose Gasol, if it meant we lost you too.

MacFitz92
06-05-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm not sure what Pau is trying to do, ignite someone who is still capable of taking over a game at any time, even though he probably meant nothing of it. The media will always create as much hype as they possibly can.

MacFitz92
06-05-2010, 03:12 AM
I don't understand players. Why didn't he just say "I'm not worried about KG - I focus on my own game." Why Pierce talk **** after game 2 in ORL? I don't get the need to talk ****. Just win 4 games and then you can say all you want. If Pau plays every game in the series like last night and LA wins the series, he can come out and say KG is his *****. But all players should stfu until the end of the series - just play the game.

What Paul said was clearly taken out of porportion. Of course he wants to close it out in Boston, if they can win two in Orlando, they should be more than capable of winning two in Boston. When players avoid saying the politically correct thing all the time, the media can't stand to be right on top of it.

DitchDat
06-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Sheed on Gasol and KG on Lamar
Obviously KG is not 2008 KG.

ink
06-05-2010, 05:36 AM

Agreed.

SouljahPhil...
06-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Seems like Pau was just giving his assessment of kg...Media just hyped it up..

can anyone here translate the word family and friends in another language?

like spanish, latin or french?

thanks guys..

AsiandudePH
06-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Geez, the media is just trying to bait Boston fans to ignite a flame war with the Lakers fans.

J-Relo
06-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure what Pau is trying to do, ignite someone who is still capable of taking over a game at any time, even though he probably meant nothing of it. The media will always create as much hype as they possibly can.

not media but people create the hype

Mplsman
06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
KG has alot of mileage.

69centers
06-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I fully expect KG to be better next season, and not taking a downward turn as drastic as everyone thinks. Don't forget, the doctor that performed his surgery last June said it would take 12 full months for him to be back 100%. It just reached the 12 month mark now, and he has been playing not at 100% all season.

Every player always plays better the 2nd season after a knee surgery rather than their first year back.

I think KG also took Game 1 personally and will be on fire in Game 2. He's still got some moves left in them high mileage legs of his!

Tony_Starks
06-05-2010, 11:46 AM
the NBA media has turned into TMV. They ask Gasol about changes in KG's game. Gasol says the obvious, thats he not as explosive, and also still praises his game.

Then the next thing you know they're telling Rondo: "Gasol just said KG lost a step! What do you think of that?"

HAve they ever heard of "context?" This is so wack!

Super.
06-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Calling out a sleeping bear...

Not Smart....

CowboysKB24
06-05-2010, 12:08 PM
What he said was true, but he probably should not have said that to the media. They took it and ran with it. It really isn't a big deal. KG played it off well by putting down Gasol as he is nothing compared to him. None of this matters, Sunday's game is the real deal.

Tony_Starks
06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't think anyone even really cares what KG does at this point his game is not going to make or break them at all. Rondo and Ray are the guys you have to worry about. Especially Rondo, when he has a special game they're almost unbeatable... never thought I'd be saying that btw

DaVille
06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
It wasn't condescending at all. Gasol assessed his own game as well, and how he wasn't as explosive. Gasol isn't as explosive, and KG is a step slower. Booooooooo.......... the media for exploiting a non-story.

Mplsman
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
KG is like a chevy truck with 200,000 miles. He is old but still very dependable and still has that sweet turn around jumper we used to watch for so many years.

Kevj77
06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Doc said today that "KG isn't the players he was 2 years ago." How is that different from what Gasol said. Of course I took it slightly out of context because he said nobody is who they were 2 years ago, but Gasol had his comments taken out of context as well.

He also said KG "can't do what he used to do" of course right before that he said that's what Gasol said. I could edit that out though and completely take what he said out of context just like ESPN did to Gasol.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Doc said today that "KG isn't the players he was 2 years ago." How is that different from what Gasol said. Of course I took it slightly out of context because he said nobody is who they were 2 years ago, but Gasol had his comments taken out of context as well.

He also said KG "can't do what he used to do" of course right before that he said that's what Gasol said. I could edit that out though and completely take what he said out of context just like ESPN did to Gasol.

Really?

I think that is a brilliant move by Doc....

Doc don't have to deal with him on the floor.

It's a coaches job to try and motivate his player not the opposing player.

Love it...

Now we just need his mom to come out and say he has gotten a little slower and he looked old in game 1.

Kevj77
06-05-2010, 07:12 PM
All these interviews are being played all day long on NBA TV. I don't think the channel on my TV has changed in two days. You get to see the whole interviews not just a clip taken out of context by ESPN.

I've been enjoying the coverage on NBA TV way more then ESPN.

n83417
06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
KG is like a chevy truck with 200,000 miles. He is old but still very dependable and still has that sweet turn around jumper we used to watch for so many years.

My Chevy doesn't have a turn around jumper.

BigAl25
06-05-2010, 08:10 PM
it's only one game and already all this BS,sure garnett is getting old but he just had a bad game

ldc62
06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Say this after you win the series..... watch KG is gonna go crazy now.... thanks Gasoft.

SeoulBeatz
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Say this after you win the series..... watch KG is gonna go crazy now.... thanks Gasoft.

dude skip is jacked.?

ldc62
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
dude skip is jacked.?

lol I know... I thought he was one of those out of shape white espn experts.

Wilson
06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol was upset with how his comments about Kevin Garnett losing "some explosiveness" from his game were portrayed in the media since he also noted that the Boston Celtics forward is still a "terrific player."

"Sometimes I extend my answers too long," Gasol said. "Maybe I shouldn't do that. I should be shorter with my answers and don't give away just anything so it can't be manipulated that way and used.

"But it is what it is. It's the Finals. It's going to be a little bit of chaos. We've just got to focus on doing whatever it takes to win Game 2. That's my main focus."

On Friday night, Gasol explained the changes in Garnett's game: "On Kevin's part, he's also lost some explosiveness. He's more of a jump shooter now you could say, comes off the lane. Before he had a really, really quick first step and was getting to the lane and he was more aggressive then. Time passes and we all suffer it one way or another, but he's still a terrific player, a terrific competitor, and he's going to bring everything he's got. You can count on that."

At 34 years old and with 15 hard-fought years behind him at this point in his NBA career, Garnett averaged only 14.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and 29.9 minutes per game this season, the lowest totals since his rookie season.

Gasol said he understands how the media tries to create attraction, but thought his words were misconstrued in this instance.

"The way it was played and put down, it was pretty pathetic," Gasol said. "But I'll make no more comments on that because it's not worth it."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson was very complimentary of Garnett.

"He's still shooting the basketball well," Jackson said. "He moves the ball onto his open teammates. He's setting good, solid picks. Some of them more solid than others. His defense is pesky. He's still trying to block all those shots after the whistle and making sure that nothing goes in. I'm still seeing a guy that has the same mental attitude."

Despite Jackson's words, the damage may have already been done with Garnett hearing Gasol's comments -- whether intended as criticism or not -- and taking motivation from them.

Garnett was asked after Celtics practice Friday if he took exception to what Gasol said: "Not at all. I have no comments for his comments."

The Lakers lead the best-of-seven series 1-0. Game 2 is set for Sunday night.

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

ESPNLosAngeles (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5256067)

RocketsRule
06-05-2010, 10:09 PM
^Well he should be. The media totally took what he said out of context just to make a story.

Kakaroach
06-05-2010, 10:10 PM
:sigh: The media always blows things out of proportions. I'd be pissed if I were Gasol too.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
ESPNLosAngeles (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5256067)

Too little too late...

Should of kept your mouth shut.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I got this off an espn board I found it to be ironic and insightful

Ok, you guys already writing KG off are *****. Yes he has lost a step, it doesnt mean he cant be effective. Heres a little example for all you band wagoners that think he is done because of 1 bad game

Lets go back to the 1985 finals where the Lakers were playing the Celtics and in the first game the Lakers were smashed 148-114. A 38 year old Kareem Abdul Jabbar had one of the worst games of his career -12 points and 3 rebounds, Parish destroyed him.

The media and fans were quick to write Kareem off at 38 saying he was old, past it, not effective against an in their prime Boston frontline of Parish, McHale and Bird(a much better frontline than LA's current one). Even Pat Riley singled him out in practise, called him old etc.

The next game kareem came bck with a vengence, smashing the celtcs to the tune of 30 points, 17 rebound, 8 assists and 3 blocks....what do you think the fans were saying then? In the Lakers 4 wins in the finals Kareem averaged 30.2 points, 11.3 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 2.0 blocks in taking the finals MVP at 38!! He was written off too after game 1, how foolish did those media and fans look after Kareem turned back time and crushed the Celtics?

Im not saying KG will do anything like that, Kareem is the greatest center of all time but hell give the guy a break and make your judgements after this series is done, if a 38 year Kareem could lift his game, why cant a 33 year old KG? C'mom people!!

hugepatsfan
06-05-2010, 11:39 PM
If Pau would have said "KG is a HOFer - he will be great until he retires. When you're talking about an all-time great like him, you can never expect anything to be easy. I think I played well and helped my team win in game 1, and I'll try to do that in game 2. I'm not worried about anyone other than what I can do to help my team win" there would be no story.

Kevj77
06-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Or he could just be like Kobe has been and give short curt answers to the media almost like he is pissed off at them. If these reporters ask questions, get honest answers then take those comments out of context interviews are going to get really boring and these hacks won't have anybody to blame, but themselves.

BlondeBomber41
06-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Well... he is right. Can't blame or fault the guy for speaking the truth. He didnt do it disrespectfully.