PDA

View Full Version : NBA Round Table: Lakers vs. Celtics

Sports Illustrator
06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3501/roundtable1.png
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6778/roundtable4.png
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9928/roundtable3.png

Welcome to ProSportsDaily.com's Round Table discussion group. This is a continued series here at PSD where we pose a question to our writing staff and they answer.

The finals series going on between the Lakers vs. the Celtics figures to be a hot topic obviously because it becomes the most important time of the season to see in fact which team is really the best team in the NBA. Whether it be your family, friends, acquaintances or even members from PSD, you will see divided opinions on who they think will be the NBA champions of the 2009-2010 season between the LA Lakers and Boston Celtics.

With that said, here is what our experts have to say:

Bubba17: Expect the unexpected..

Who would have really thought this matchup would happen again this year? It was supposed to be the two teams who dominated their conferences, the Cavs and the Lakers. As we all know, anything can happen when it comes to playoffs.

The Celtics on January 1st were 23-8, and looked like one of the top teams in the East. As the season went on, they struggled though and went 27-24 from January through April, and finished as the 4th seed in the East. Meanwhile, the Lakers were dominate pretty much all year, finishing at the #1 seed in the much tougher Western Conference.

The Celtics took out 3 superstars this year: King James, Dwight Howard, and Dwyane Wade. Could they make it 4, and eliminate Kobe too? I dont think so. Sure they surprised people and took out the teams they weren't supposed to beat, but the big 3 are older and I think all these extra games might catch up to them. They also have a lot of injuries, and even though the players might still play, they probably aren't 100% healthy.

So even though the season series was tied 1-1, I think we are going to have a repeat champion this year. I predict Lakers in 5.

hugepatsfan: Boston in 6. I say they capitalize on their momentum coming in and take game 1 in LA. LA salvages the split in game 2. BOS will take game 3, but drop game 4. The difference in this series will be the homecourt schedule. BOS will win the pivotal game 5 on its home floor. The Lakers, who I feel are not as mentally strong as the Celts, will not be able to win in the face of elimination. BOS gets it done in LA in game 6.

The Celts will win because of their physicality. KG is not the player Pau is, but he doesn't have to be. He can focus solely on "mucking up" the Laker offense by limiting Gasol. Rondo will be aneast against the older Fisher. Kobe will get his because he is a God, but the Celts will limit his help. They are playing defense on another level right now and that will get it done. This could be the best Finals in a looooooooong time - I predict a lot of great games. Should be fun!!!

macc: This is def a tough series to call. Both have the experience, leadership and skill to win it all. As like every series, its going to come down to matchups and who shows up and who doesn't.

Starting with Boston, Rondo is going to have to be great for them to win this series. Boston success is based off of how well they are moving the ball, that starts with Rondo. Having D Fish on him that shouldn't be a really tough task. I don't see Kobe coming over to help because that would leave Fish on Ray Ray and I don't see Fish keeping up with Allen running around all those screens.

In any case I can't stress enough about Bostons ball movement as being the key factor here. When they are moving the ball around they are almost impossible to stop. When they are not moving the ball their offense looks stagnant sincethey don't have that player that can iso his man at any given time it makes ball movement that much more important.

As for LA their key is their execution of the triangle offense. Ball movement is important for them as well but their offense flows moreso on isos. Finding players in their comfort zones and feeding off of their action by either posting and drawing a double team or passing it out to the open shooter or by their 2nd offense which consists of just giving the ball to Kobe and clearing out, that seems to work pretty well as well.

I think Bynum being able to stay out of foul trouble and stay in the game is going to be key. Having Bynum at Center and Gasol at the 4 gives the Lakers an advantage. With Bynum out Gasol now gets defended by Perkins which is probably the best one on one defender in the league. This will make life a little more difficult on Gasol, this is key because Gasols production downlow opens up the peremeter for open jump shots.

Overall I think LA wins this in 6. I just don't think theres anything Boston can throw at LA that LA doesn't have the man power to defend. Having Odom who can play the 3 or 4 really gives LA flexibility in their rotations. Lewis really limited Garnetts production in the last series and I think Odom can do the same thing. In the end Boston really needs great peremeter play t/o the entire series for a chance to win. Which isn't impossible either.

Lakers in 6. Stay Classy

ManRamForPrez24: Iím guilty of flip-flopping. I simply just have no grasp on this series. I've gone back and forth numerous times already. Usually Iím very convinced in what I believe in, but itís clear that in this case, I have no idea what I believe in. I'm just guessing here.

Iím picking Boston in 6. Why? Well, it isn't because of the history (Boston winning 9 out of 11 Finals vs. LA). It has nothing to do with age (itís the Finals, age isn't an issue). I really donít care for all this ďmy team is tougher than your team" bickering (this isn't MMA). And I especially donít care about the series two years ago (they are really only the same team in name). In fact, I donít know what separates these teams, but Iím damned certain it isn't any of those four things.

This usually is the part where I whip out the team stats. But if Iíve learned anything, itís this:

The regular season doesnít matter come playoff time; wipe those stats out of your memory.
In the playoffs, these two teams have put up such comparable statistics that I donít see any point in arguing over a few insignificant differences.
Even if I thought I could extrapolate from the 15 or so games these two teams have played in the playoffs, they've gotten here through such different paths it isn't worth while to compare. The Lakers havenít faced a good defense (especially down low), instead they've played against high-tempo offenses; Boston is not an up-tempo team. The Celtics have, in my opinion, beaten the two best teams that arenít playing in the Finals. It's not worth comparing the previous three series these teams have played.

Instead of philosophizing and over-thinking, Iíll just skip my three key players, and keep it real simple.

Rajon Rondo: who guards him for LA? Do you put Fish on him and force Kobe to chase Ray all night long? Or do you put Kobe on him and make him expend even more energy stopping him, and in return, get torched by Allen because Fish can't guard him? Heís the biggest difference this series. Heís a star; in 2008, he was a bum.
Andrew Bynum: your guess is as good as mine as to how impactful heíll be. He averaged 12/9 (30 minutes per) vs. OKCís laughable front-court. He averaged 8/9 (25 min.) vs. Utahís undersized and injured front-court. He averaged 7/6 (<20 min. per) vs. a Suns defense that, well, plays none. What will he do against the biggest, tallest, toughest and deepest front court heís faced yet? Iím guessing more like 7/6 and 20 mpg than anything else.
Kobe Bryant: Canít ever have a list of key players without him. Kobe is the reason the Lakers are favorite. But, what will put the Lakers over the top is his team play. Heís shown flashes of amazing selflessness and a willingness to pass this post-season, especially against teams with weaker front-courts. Simply put, he needs to get his teammates going. He has a great supporting cast; itís the best any superstar in the league has. They need a vintage Kobe Bryant series, and few KoMe games. There has been some angst in regards to who needs more shots and who needs to take less. He's got to look for higher percentage shots, all the time. The question remains: who guards him? I donít really know. But for some reason, I donít really care. That might be my downfall in my "logic", but I just see it being a one man show, and that won't ever get it done. It could be the fact that C's have gotten past the three other top four players in the league already, as well.

So Celtics in 6. I think Rondo wins the Finals MVP. I think Ray Ray keeps lighting it up especially since Iím not sure who guards him. Artest will limit Pierce to the extent LeBron did, but heís gonna get his. The front court battle will be won by Boston in my opinion, and it's what will ultimately be the difference. The bench favors Boston as well; Odom is a beast, but who knows when he decides to nut up and when he doesn't.

But I have never been so unsure of a playoff series in my life. I wish I could write so much more about this. Because I haven't even mentioned the name Pau, KG, Perkins, Odom etc. Oh well. May the best team win!

Kakaroach: Ah, the Lakers and the Celtics in the NBA Finals. As a pure fan of basketball, there is nothing better than to see the greatest rivalry in sports relived once more.

And lets start this off by saying I feel sorry for Derek Fisher. Over the past 2 months he has had to guard Russell Westbrook, Deron Williams and Steve Nash. Your reward? Get a chance at the most up and coming PG in the NBA - Rajon Rondo. Unlike the 08 Finals, Kobe Bryant cannot play the role of "roamer" while guarding Rondo because Rajon has emerged as a legitimate scoring threat and handles the ball a lot more now than he did 2 seasons ago. So we'll have to see after Game 1 what adjustment the Zen Master decides to make as to who guards Rondo.

As for the greatest side-show in the NBA, Ron Artest will have a chance to guard a great one-on-one player in Paul Pierce. Ron-Ron will be able to use his physicality, quickness, and length to do a good job on The Truth. But its not just his defense, Artest's offense exploded in Game 6 against the Suns and for Pierce's sake you hope that doesn't continue in the Finals.

As for Kobe Bryant, he will have his hands full with either chasing Ray Allen around all night or trying to stop Rondo. But either way, Kobe will be Kobe in the end and have his way on offense this series.

Andrew Bynum has been iffy all playoffs long and we'll have to see how much he can do on a bum knee against Kendrick Perkins. Perkins of course has to be very careful, 1 more technical and he gone.

Now for the most important match-up of all - Kevin Garnett vs Pau Gasol. So important we even have a thread for it in the main NBA forum. Its no secret, this was the match-up that decided the champions 2 years ago and Garnett will look to do the same this year. While his offense has been abysmal this post-season, Garnett is still getting the job more than done on defense against very talented offensive players such as Antwan Jamison and Rashard Lewis. For Gasol, its gotta be face-up and perimeter-oriented work on KG. He has to his quickness and his jumper to take the most out of this match-up.

Other key items to watch:

Nate Robinson and Jordan Farmar coming off the bench
Rasheed and Lamar match-up off the bench

After all that analysis, I think the Celtics will take this series in 6 games. With their stifling defense coming back to form and the emergence of Rondo, I think they bring banner #18 to Beantown.

Korman12: 2010 NBA Finals Preview

History; itís firmly engrained in the well-known, storied rivalry between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers. With the last two NBA champions meeting in the 2010 finals for the 12th time in league history, the remainder of the league once again will look in dissatisfied jealously as the two most successful franchises look to add yet another title to their lengthy resumes.

We all know the numbers: The Celtics are looking for their 18th title in 21 tries, with the Lakers aiming for their 16th. Kobe Bryantís and Derek Fisherís 8th finals appearance, Phil Jacksonís quest for Red Auerbachís eternal championship record Ė thereís a lot to be said but we all know what these finals mean to both teams, but lets just see how it shapes up.

Defensively, Bostonís starters appear to hold an all-around edge without a weak cog in their lineup. While Los Angeles are no slouches themselves, few teams play with the all-around defensive physicality that Boston does. That being said, Bostonís best defensive player, Rajon Rondo, will be guarding L.A.ís weakest offensive starter, Derek Fisher. So while Boston has the slight defensive edge, guarding the Lakersí lineup presents a peculiar difficulty from top to bottom.

When the teams faced each other in the regular season, each team averaged a meager 88 ppg, splitting the series 1 Ė 1. Paul Pierce, who by all rights is still Bostonís best weapon on offense, was held in check by Ron Artest to 13 ppg on 8-20 shooting in less than 37 mpg. And while Boston has been playing better all-around during the playoffs, Los Angelesí greatest team strengths Ė size and efficiency Ė will force Doc Rivers to alter his approach to the series, likely using Nate Robinson more (especially after his game six performance against Orlando). Will the effectiveness of that approach significantly alter Bostonís all-around strategy? Possibly; but considering how well they fared in their three previous playoff series against Miami, Cleveland and Orlando, Rivers will likely stick more to what has been working if Robinson doesnít make an impact early in the series.

Outside of the starters, Boston has begun to rely on the strength of their reserves Ė most specifically 6th man Rasheed Wallace, Glen Davis and Tony Allen. And while Phil Jackson will often seek Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmar for scoring sparks off the bench, Lamar Odom provides perhaps the most divisive advantage for Los Angeles. Six times in the Lakersí last eight postseason wins, Odom amassed double digit rebounds in less than 33 mpg, at a rate of more than .4 rebounds per minute. How effective Odom is with an improved Pau Gasol on the floor will likely be the deciding factor in the series.

These are still, of course, past statistics that wonít likely remain as accurate once the series gets going. It goes without saying that Boston has improved greatly from series to series, looking more like the team of í08 than they had at any point during the end of the regular season. But while thatís true, Los Angeles doesnít look like the í08 team that was demoralized by Boston in the sixth game in that series. This time around, the matchup (we can only hope) should shape up to be better and longer than the majority of the NBA playoffs were, going to at least six games.

But before I give you my ultimate prediction, let me get something out there: I hate predicting seriesí, because I hate being wrong, so I usually avoid it.

That being said, Iíll take the Lakers in six.

RadiantShot: LA and Boston have both been fierce competitors for quite some time now, and both have marked their place in history. Both teams come with that killer mentality, and the attitude that ANY team needs to be successful. Both have crossed multiple paths, and show no signs of giving in. Heart, determination, and will, come into play.

That being said, I find both competitors capable of winning the 2010 NBA Title, but what speaks to me is the fact that LA, and Boston, have both proved me wrong this season. I said earlier in the regular season, that I thought Boston, being old, and LA, being overrated, wouldn't win the NBA Title this year. Irony at it's best, because now they're both sitting there in the NBA Finals, while the other supposed NBA Champs are watching from the sidelines.

Enough on the sweet-talk, my prediction is LA in 7. I think they have too much fire-power, and for the time being, when I watch Boston, they seem inconsistent. LA, even playing their worst, can win games. I don't think this holds true for Boston. Boston has been up and down all season, and I still don't think you can really, 'Save it for the Playoffs.' Maybe a few games, but even other games are inexcusable, like the loss to the Nets, on their home-court. Hate to bring that up, but that's an example that helped me base my opinion.

The problem is, Boston and LA both have the heart of a champion; As a whole, so it's hard to differentiate who I think will win..LA, on one hand, was considered the 'most dominant' NBA team this season, while Boston was considered 'still elite.'

I wouldn't be surprised however, if Boston pulled this out early, after a poor game one performance. These guys have proved me wrong all season, so why not now? Why not now, on the biggest stage in the NBA? There's no doubt in my mind they'll play with intensity.

In the end, I still believe LA will pull it out in 7 games. Kobe looks hungrier than anyone right now, and is clearly, and HAS clearly, been the best player in the NBA Playoffs.

LA in 7 Games, to clinch the NBA Title, on their home-court.

And that's what our experts think. How about you? Who do you think will win the finals/? Agree or disagree with anything our writers have said? Let us know!

td0tsfinest
06-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Good work guys.Looks like its split, 3-3.

After tonights win, its hard not to bring up Phil Jacksons record. 47-0, after winning game 1.

hugepatsfan
06-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Oops on my game 1 prediction!!! lol

Gibby23
06-04-2010, 12:18 AM
You should have asked me, alot of these guys just want the C's to win, but the Lakers are alot better.

Lakersho
06-04-2010, 12:20 AM
lakers put it to 'em all aspects of the game, celtics had no answer off. or def. i stick to my pred. lakeshow in 6...

still1ballin
06-04-2010, 12:23 AM
LoL

Experts?

JNA17
06-04-2010, 12:32 AM
pretty good explanations. Just some of the celtics choices were wrong for game 1 lol. But otherwise pretty good guys :clap:

shep33
06-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm a Laker fan, and I actually think that 47-0 stat is overblown. Can't rely on that at all, Lakers got to win game 2 to feel more comfortable... but even if they don't, they could easily win 1 out of 3 in Boston. So I actually think boston has to win next game to stay in this series.

JordansBulls
06-04-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm a Laker fan, and I actually think that 47-0 stat is overblown. Can't rely on that at all, Lakers got to win game 2 to feel more comfortable... but even if they don't, they could easily win 1 out of 3 in Boston. So I actually think boston has to win next game to stay in this series.

Yep agreed. I feel if Boston splits, they will win the series. If LA wins first two at home, they will win the series.

superkegger
06-04-2010, 01:04 AM
And that's what our experts think. How about you? What do you think of the Roy Oswalt situation? Agree or disagree with anything our writers have said? Let us know!

What does Roy Oswalt have to do with the NBA Finals?

td0tsfinest
06-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Lol. I didn't even notice that.

rgr_crrl
06-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Yes I also think that we need to win both at home and try to take one in boston otherwise we might be in trouble

ShakeN'Bake
06-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Wow thank you for saying that. I think the celtics have to win game two or they are done for.

JIDsanity
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I predict the first team to win 4 games will win the series

Reversed86Curse
06-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I predict the first team to win 4 games will win the series

^ An expert right here

PrettyBoyJ
06-04-2010, 11:02 AM
With the Lakers performance in yesterdays game.. I think Differently of the series.. Coming in you knew the series would be physical, you knew Kobe would be an impact on the offensive end.. And We knew the Celtics were planning on responding with what ever it took.. Game 1 opened my eyes this Laker team isnt the same fro 08'.. Everyone knew the Celtics push them around in 08' and prob was expecting that this year.. Well it's the opposite.. Lakers are holding there own.. Gasol had good game, Kobe was kobe as usual and the Big surprise was Ron Artest.. that was key his impact on the defensive end along with 15 point that is something to worry about.. Now remember Lakers put out a good outing but there weren't playing there best, imagine if Lamar Odom was more aggressive which I guarantee phil jackson had a little talk with him that he needed to insert himself in the game, that would jus be another problem the celtics would have to worry about.. Personally if all there guys pull out a good outing with Kobe Leading the way.. Lakers will def. win this series

ldc62
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
So apparently Gasol is still soft.... but it wins games..... Haters will hate

mfb_lt1birdman
06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
My take from game 1 was the addition of Artest and even an injured Bynum made a HUGE difference in the Lakers toughness and size. While the absence of Posey and PJ Brown, coupled with the aging of Garnett, the defensive swagger and bully play of the Celtics is a thing of the past. Key case and point here is how easily Kobe, and every other guard penetrated and got easy points at the rim, or created easy put backs off misses for Gasol.

LA has always had more firepower and skill than Boston. Now that the Lakers are not going to let Boston push them around, what advantage do they possibly have at this point? It was only one game and much can change, but as of game 1 the Celtics showed absolutely nothing to worry the Lakers or us fans. Had the tempo not been so hindered by all the foul calls in the first quarter, I feel this game would have been a complete blow out.

Go Lakers!

jimbobjarree
06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
So apparently Gasol is still soft.... but it wins games..... Haters will hate

haha that flop was hilarious, screw wearing shorts, the nba should make him a custon skirt after that :laugh2:

hugepatsfan
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
That flop and the commentary's reaction was the only good thing about last night for Celtics fans. lol

J-Relo
06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
^ An expert right here

second one right here^

Rapsjaysleafs
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you guys see an insane bias towards the Lakers and Kobe from the broadcast team?
I admit to not being a Laker fan, though they will win the series in 5 games I think, but hearing about how Kobe studies game tape?
How many Celtics do you think studies game tape.
I bet a bunch of them thats for sure.

BOSTON617
06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
That flop and the commentary's reaction was the only good thing about last night for Celtics fans. lol

yea lol that made my night:cool:

Lakersho
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Do you guys see an insane bias towards the Lakers and Kobe from the broadcast team?
I admit to not being a Laker fan, though they will win the series in 5 games I think, but hearing about how Kobe studies game tape?

how were the broadcast team gonna give the c's credit what, did you see how K>G> missed that layup and put back ? you only get that from watchin game tape... if we would've stunk it up , nothin good would've be en said about us. they give props to the agresser,thats how they roll... this is only one game, alot of series left to play...

Lakersho
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
haha that flop was hilarious, screw wearing shorts, the nba should make him a custon skirt after that :laugh2:

your right . i think all the lakers should wear skirts, that way when they whip all your teams *** the insult is even worse. ya gasol looked real soft, if he's soft k.g. looked real bad gettin manhandled by a creampuff...

montybeasty
06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I think the celts would have won this game if the refs never got involed. Say what you want they dictated the pace of the game. Celts couldn't even play there famous pressure D , which led to all the open shots and easy penatrations.

shep33
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Honestly I didn't like the officiating in the game, way too tight. Did it effect the outcome of the game? Absolutely not. LA got called for as many bad fouls as Boston, but LA just played with more intensity, and they deserved the win.

jimbobjarree
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM

they just bias whoevers winning. When your teams losing and your watching on espn its always a painful experience

hugepatsfan
06-04-2010, 02:20 PM
your right . i think all the lakers should wear skirts, that way when they whip all your teams *** the insult is even worse. ya gasol looked real soft, if he's soft k.g. looked real bad gettin manhandled by a creampuff...

The post you quoted had a laughing smiley at the end - that means it was a joke. No need to go on a rampage off of it.

ManRam
06-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm glad the feedback has been really insightful :rolleyes:

Oh well. Like I said, I had no idea how to predict this series. The only people sounding entirely confident are Laker fans. They can't expect the rest of the world to have so much blind passion for their team too. I originally started out picking them in 6 (that's how I voted in the main thread). I just couldn't get a grasp on it.

But after last night, I'm regretting flip-flopping. I know the series is FAR from over...but the Lakers proved a lot of my questions wrong, and the Celtics showed a lot of weaknesses I didn't think they had.

hugepatsfan
06-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm glad the feedback has been really insightful :rolleyes:

Oh well. Like I said, I had no idea how to predict this series. The only people sounding entirely confident are Laker fans. They can't expect the rest of the world to have so much blind passion for their team too. I originally started out picking them in 6 (that's how I voted in the main thread). I just couldn't get a grasp on it.

But after last night, I'm regretting flip-flopping. I know the series is FAR from over...but the Lakers proved a lot of my questions wrong, and the Celtics showed a lot of weaknesses I didn't think they had.

Same way I feel. At first I said Lakers in 6, but then Phil's comments made me think the Celts were still in LA's head so I changed - doesn't look good right now.

shep33
06-04-2010, 02:30 PM
To make this a 7 game series Boston has to win game 2. Boston and LA play on Sunday I believe, and if LA wins, they're up 2-0 going into Boston with confidence, before they play tuesday night I think. So the Celts and Lakers gotta travel cross country for game 3, before playing 48 hours later. I just don't like that if I'm Boston... especially if LA goes up 2-0 with the momentum, it basically puts Boston up against the wall to win all 3 home games, which itself will be tough, cause they actually struggle at home occasionally.

Moreover, LA isn't bad on the road either. When they need to win one on the road they usually do. The last 3 rounds in the WC Playoffs LA finished their opponents OKC, Utah, and Phoenix all on the road... and those teams are amazing at home. I think LA has closed out 5 straight series on the road in the past 2 years.

So yeah game 2 is critical for boston, a must win IMO. They're definitely not out of this thing, if they fix their D, and we know Allen will play a bigger role next game, they can definitely even it up. Boston is still a great team, can't underestimate them at all.

Gibby23
06-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Game 2 LA brings out the hack a Perk and Rondo.

Oefarmy2005
06-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't get why everybody makes such a big deal of game 1. I will admit, I hate the Lakers with a passion, but I do like Kobe. The Celtics lost by 13 freaking points. People make it sound like they lost by 40. Wouldn't you expect LA to win game one in LA?? I shure would. Now, if the Celtics get beat by 13 at home game 3, I will agree that the Lakers are better, but as of now - they are both very good teams.

RaiderLakersA's
06-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Toward the Lakers, no. Toward Kobe, yes. But it's not like he has them in his pocket. They've cut him down more often than they've elevated him, IMHO.

The media has always been whores for the next great story. While the possibility of Rondo & the Big 3 cementing their place in Celtics lore is appealing, it pales in comparison to Kobe Bryant possibly ascending the latter to TRUE greatness by matching Magic Johnson's championship total of 5 and legitimately touching off increasingly valid comparisons to MJ.

Let's face it, that is the only plotline that whets their appetite: "Who will become or better MJ?" It's why LeBron gets so much pub, because the media already thinks that he IS the next Jordan. Ridiculous? I'll say! But that's the media for you.

The trick is to enjoy the game, the players' passions for the game, and tune out the media spin and slants. I mean if you really want substance over fluff.

LAOwnsAll15
06-04-2010, 04:28 PM
The Lakers were like a spoiled child, getting everything they wanted, when they wanted it. Basically dribble penetration on every play that led to a pull up or a good read that led to a post play. Great execution led to some open shots that went down.

While the Celtics were desperately looking for any offensive chemistry, The vets were obviously relying on Rondo;Which got shut down with a good gameplan. This led to ill-advised shots, out of rhythm post plays. The one bright spot was KG's Consistent fade-away shot, and Ray Allen's good shooting-(While he was in).

Overall I think the Celtics were ready to face an aggressive Lakers Team from the tip. Lakers were executing all game, while the Celtics were looking desperate by changing their game plan throughout the game.

Phil beat Rivers at gameplaning.

Kakaroach
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Good job to all of my fellow members of the Roundtable. The one thing I didn't see coming was just how much the Lakers length bothered the Celtics this time around. 2 years ago it didn't seem to bother em but with Bynum back the 3 towers just change the game way too much for the Celtics.

cabernetluver
06-04-2010, 05:31 PM
One game does not a series make, unless, it sends the message that this is not going to be the series that Boston thought it was going to be. Gasol is not soft. Bynum is going to contribute. Ron Ron will make life difficult for Pierce. This will be a battle for both teams, no one is going to lie down.

Game 2 and Game 5 will be the interesting games to watch because of the extra rest it gives Bynum. Bynum playing means Gasol plays in position. Perkins has to battle a bigger man. Garnet who is not the 2008 Garnet does not match up well against the 2010 Gasol.

Did anyone notice the lack of coast to coast for Rondo?

Lakersho
06-05-2010, 01:39 AM
One game does not a series make, unless, it sends the message that this is not going to be the series that Boston thought it was going to be. Gasol is not soft. Bynum is going to contribute. Ron Ron will make life difficult for Pierce. This will be a battle for both teams, no one is going to lie down.

Game 2 and Game 5 will be the interesting games to watch because of the extra rest it gives Bynum. Bynum playing means Gasol plays in position. Perkins has to battle a bigger man. Garnet who is not the 2008 Garnet does not match up well against the 2010 Gasol.

Did anyone notice the lack of coast to coast for Rondo?
x2 / ya lakers def. made him struggle... its only game two,celtics are mad as hell and will play with mad passion next game. i dont like'm , but ya i do respect them...

Iron24th
06-05-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't get why everybody makes such a big deal of game 1. I will admit, I hate the Lakers with a passion, but I do like Kobe. The Celtics lost by 13 freaking points. People make it sound like they lost by 40. Wouldn't you expect LA to win game one in LA?? I shure would. Now, if the Celtics get beat by 13 at home game 3, I will agree that the Lakers are better, but as of now - they are both very good teams.

No one is saying the opposite.

People was saying how the Celts will take game 1,so, it's a little surpising for most of them that the Lakers dominated the Celts in game 1,but of course not for Lakers fans.

iFYouSeekAmy
06-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Very good points, good arguments on both sides.. well done.

Celtics would be the better team by match-up (primarily the Rondo-Laker's (new?) point guard). Though, after seeing Game 1, it's pretty obvious who's the hungrier team as of now.

Tony_Starks
06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
The biggest difference Im seeing from '08 is Kobe is not letting Boston off the hook by just staying on the perimeter, he's actually taking it to the rack. In 08 Boston basically played a sliding zone against Kobe and he was content just take jack up face up jumpers, thats why his fg% was so bad.

Also Bynum is having a bigger impact than I expected. Not so much numbers wise but by negating Perkins and challening shots. Not to mention Artest kept Pierce to pretty much a non factor. Most of his points came in garbage time.

It was just one game but Boston is in major trouble, every weakness they exposed in the last finals matchup the Lakers have improved in.

jimbobjarree
06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
meh Cavs blew Boston out on their home floor, but the Celtics still beat them in 6 games. I wouldnt take a whole lot in terms of how this series will go just off one bad Boston performance, as only a few weeks ago in that series they showed they are capable of making the switch from being blown out to blowing the other team out in the space of 1 or 2 games.

Avenged
06-05-2010, 02:53 PM
The Lakers aren't the Cavs. Not only do the Lakers have a leader who is mentally tougher and proven to win it all, they also have a veteran supporting cast who play their roles greatly. It will be a lot tougher for the Celtics to "flip the switch" against the Lakers than it was with the Cavaliers.

RaiderLakersA's
06-05-2010, 04:36 PM
meh Cavs blew Boston out on their home floor, but the Celtics still beat them in 6 games. I wouldnt take a whole lot in terms of how this series will go just off one bad Boston performance, as only a few weeks ago in that series they showed they are capable of making the switch from being blown out to blowing the other team out in the space of 1 or 2 games.

If the Cavs were an NBA championship team...or had more players in key positions who had won an NBA championship...I would be more willing to follow your logic.

No, the Lakers know full well what to expect. They know what it takes to win it all, and more importantly, they know what it feels like when you don't.

And don't let all of the chest-thumping you hear from some Lakers fans fool you. We know that Boston isn't going to just lay down. We'll have to put them down, or they, us.

JordansBulls
06-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Don't forget guys that in 2005 the Spurs blow out Detroit in both games 1 and 2, and everyone thought it was over. That series ended up going 7. Also in 2006 the Mavs won both games 1 and 2 and were up 13 in the 4th in game 3, and then Miami came back.

So I wouldn't count out Boston until LA wins 3 games before Boston wins 2.

Avenged
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Different series, different teams, JB. Your always bringing up stuff from the past when it has no emphasis on this series.

SouljahPhil...
06-05-2010, 06:05 PM
This will still end in 6....

jimbobjarree
06-06-2010, 10:57 PM

this guy here...such a ****ing genius!

PraiseJesus
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
the last 4 minutes was the worst officiating I have seen all year.

What an embarassment for the NBA

Iodine
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
this guy here...such a ****ing genius!

x5900897897

tredigs
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM

And the first 44 the best I take it.

I won't be wavering on my Celtics pick. But they're going to need to take 2 of 3 at home. If they decide to take them all, I wouldn't complain.

borat
06-06-2010, 11:45 PM
It is going to be a 7 game series. This series will go back and forth all the way to game 7.

m26555
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM

It is absolutely hilarious how Laker fans are complaining about the officiating when they got the good majority of calls tonight. How about all of the times Glen Davis was underneath the basket getting smacked and shoved on layups with no calls? How about the phantom foul call on Perkins on Bryant's floater late in the game? How about three bogus calls on Garnett? How about no flagrant foul call on Gasol when he, like a wuss, shoved Perkins at the end of the game? And Laker fans OF ALL PEOPLE are *****ing about the refs. Too funny. Stop whining already.

td0tsfinest
06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I feel like the last few games the Lakers have lost, its always been the refs fault. Well, thats at least the assumption I get from some of the posters here.

69centers
06-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Good job to all of my fellow members of the Roundtable. The one thing I didn't see coming was just how much the Lakers length bothered the Celtics this time around. 2 years ago it didn't seem to bother em but with Bynum back the 3 towers just change the game way too much for the Celtics.

Luckily Sheed is a huge factor and really plays Bynum and Gasol better than Perk or KG. He should be getting more than 18 minutes per game, because he's playing great.

NYKstateOFmind
06-07-2010, 09:02 AM

x2

SouljahPhil...
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Congratz on the C's..

Horrible game by LA...Losing the game in the last few mins withn the best closer..damm..

sorry I did not watch the game but when my sister txt me that we had a 3 point lead late in the 4th I was expecting to win..Especially when he said 89-88 in favor of LA...Nxt text I received boston was up 98-90...Oh damm I was so shock...didn't even bother to watch the replay..

wileyisTOFU
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Luckily Sheed is a huge factor and really plays Bynum and Gasol better than Perk or KG. He should be getting more than 18 minutes per game, because he's playing great.

sheeds looking good out there, tipping rebounds, Playing D

GSW Hoops
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM

The entire game was poorly officiated on both sides, but it mostly impacted L.A. The calls giving Kobe his 3rd and 4th foul were ridiculous and changed the whole flow of the game. And the out of bounds play that went against Gasol, where the referees even took time to check the instant replay (showing it was CLEARLY off Garnett) was the icing on the cake.

The NBA should be embarrassed that its officials performed so poorly in an NBA Finals game.

69centers
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
The entire game was poorly officiated on both sides, but it mostly impacted L.A. The calls giving Kobe his 3rd and 4th foul were ridiculous and changed the whole flow of the game. And the out of bounds play that went against Gasol, where the referees even took time to check the instant replay (showing it was CLEARLY off Garnett) was the icing on the cake.

The NBA should be embarrassed that its officials performed so poorly in an NBA Finals game.

Kobe was being held in check when he wasn't in foul trouble. The foul calls cost him some playing minutes. Big stinking deal!

The out of bounds call gave the Celtics possession. How about the clean blocks on Big Baby and Pierce which automatically gave the Lakers 4 free throws and 4 points? How is your argument stronger than handing a team 4 straight points. Give me a break already with this Laker crybaby ref stuff.

still1ballin
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Kobe was being held in check when he wasn't in foul trouble. The foul calls cost him some playing minutes. Big stinking deal!

The out of bounds call gave the Celtics possession. How about the clean blocks on Big Baby and Pierce which automatically gave the Lakers 4 free throws and 4 points? How is your argument stronger than handing a team 4 straight points. Give me a break already with this Laker crybaby ref stuff.

Big Baby got a clean block on Bynum, but by the replay he did get him with the body. By the rule book it is a foul, but in the NBA finals I would not call it.

As for pierce, he clearly held on to Artest shoulder to get the block. Once again its a foul, but shouldn't of been called.

The bogus fouls called on Kobe over the flops by Allen and Rondo affect Kobe and the Lakers way more than any call the Celtics got against them.

CowboysKB24
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM

The refs were pretty bad for both teams. They made horrible calls last night. It hurt the Lakers more than Celtics, but I don't think that means the Lakers would have won. The game is over so it doesn't matter, but the refs had a really bad night all around IMO. Both teams felt it.