PDA

View Full Version : Mesa agrees to build the Cubs a new stadium - waiting for approval

croce_99
06-03-2010, 08:45 PM
ABC15.com (http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/mesa-steps-up-and-says-they%27ll-build-a-new-cubs-stadium.)

After a long debate by the Arizona state legislature, the City of Mesa is now saying they will pay for a new Cubs stadium in Mesa.

"We're moving forward to keep the Cubs," said Mesa Mayor Scott Smith.

As legislators look at options to pay for a new Cubs stadium, Smith removed any doubt saying it's a go.

"The city is stepping up and saying regardless of what happens we will finance the stadium," Smith said.

According to the plan, the city will get a loan. Then to pay for it, over the next 25 years the city will sell off portions of 11,000 acres of land they own in Pinal County.

Also a 2 percent increase in the bed tax will be proposed.

"We're removing whatever uncertainty existed by having to depend on the legislature," Smith said.

But it's not a done deal.

Mesa residents will have to vote 'yes' in November to spending the millions it will cost to build a stadium and to impose a bed tax.

According to the City of Mesa, it's worth it to keep the Cubs here.

"The Chicago Cubs and Cactus League are big deals in our Valley and our state," Smith said. "They create thousands of jobs, they bring hundreds of million dollars in and we felt as a city it's simply too important to leave it up to others to decide how we would move forward."

The city has given the proposal to the Cubs and are expected to sit down with them in the next couple of weeks to discuss the details.

scrubs101
06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
looks like Arizona called Mesa's bluff

good news I guess

homestarunner93
06-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Boo, I wanted Florida. :(

StrandedCub
06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Boo, I wanted Florida. :(

Boo you!

ggross
06-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Great news, but I believe Mesa will still lose their exclusive negotiation rights with the Cubs. As of July 12th, the Cubs will be free to resume talks with Florida, who have the capital they need to start building immediately. Mesa cannot do so until (and IF) the Mesa voters approve the plan. That is going to be very very tough to pass. I still think it's less than 50-50 that the Cubs stay. If the Cubs leave, so will I - but not to Florida.

ReJo
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
**** Arizona
I don't want our Latino players constantly getting ****ed with by police about whether they are here legally or not.
Go to Florida

ggross
06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
**** Arizona
I don't want our Latino players constantly getting ****ed with by police about whether they are here legally or not.
Go to Florida

...but they would drown in all the oil :)